Undergraduate taking a law class

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Alltheirsplendor

Undergraduate taking a law class

Postby Alltheirsplendor » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:40 am

So here's the thing: I talked to a professor at the law school of my undergraduate institution (a tier-1 school) and he agreed to allow me into his fall class. I will be receiving credit from my school (it'll basically be counted as an elective towards my degree). Also, the course is a 6000-level international law introductory course.

Although I'm fairly confident in my abilities, I'm wondering what you TLSers think. Am I getting too arrogant in thinking I can handle this course? Or do you think if I set aside the time this summer to properly prepare, I can take the course and be successful? I'm also wondering if taking the course would be a poor choice because I would need more of the basics before being successful. Anyways, thanks in advance!

EDIT: If this is an inappropriate question, or place to ask this question (or both), I'm sorry!

mths

Re: Undergraduate taking a law class

Postby mths » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:53 am

Alltheirsplendor wrote:So here's the thing: I talked to a professor at the law school of my undergraduate institution (a tier-1 school) and he agreed to allow me into his fall class. I will be receiving credit from my school (it'll basically be counted as an elective towards my degree). Also, the course is a 6000-level international law introductory course.

Although I'm fairly confident in my abilities, I'm wondering what you TLSers think. Am I getting too arrogant in thinking I can handle this course? Or do you think if I set aside the time this summer to properly prepare, I can take the course and be successful? I'm also wondering if taking the course would be a poor choice because I would need more of the basics before being successful. Anyways, thanks in advance!

EDIT: If this is an inappropriate question, or place to ask this question (or both), I'm sorry!

I really don't understand what a 6000-level international law class is.

If it's a real law course and it's upper level (I don't know of any schools that offer international law to 1Ls) then you have a very slim chance of succeeding. However, it sounds like you're taking an undergrad class taught by a law professor, in which case you'll be fine.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:34 am

Even if it's an actual law class, you won't be graded on the curve (and thus you escape the most difficult thing about law school). I doubt a professor would give you a poor grade after inviting you to attend his class. Take it seriously and you should be fine.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:46 am

International law class? Prepare for a lot of useless academic mutual masturbation, even more so than a regular law class.

Alltheirsplendor

Postby Alltheirsplendor » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:25 am

mths wrote:
Alltheirsplendor wrote:So here's the thing: I talked to a professor at the law school of my undergraduate institution (a tier-1 school) and he agreed to allow me into his fall class. I will be receiving credit from my school (it'll basically be counted as an elective towards my degree). Also, the course is a 6000-level international law introductory course.

I really don't understand what a 6000-level international law class is.

If it's a real law course and it's upper level (I don't know of any schools that offer international law to 1Ls) then you have a very slim chance of succeeding. However, it sounds like you're taking an undergrad class taught by a law professor, in which case you'll be fine.

Oh it's an actual law class, albeit introductory. I got my hands on the syllabus and course description so if anyone would be kind and willing to help me by taking a look at it, let me know and I'll PM it to you.

Alltheirsplendor

Postby Alltheirsplendor » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:26 am

rad law wrote:International law class? Prepare for a lot of useless academic mutual masturbation, even more so than a regular law class.

Oh man! That sounds horrible. ...Not gonna lie though, I'm unsure what that means.

UnitarySpace

Postby UnitarySpace » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:37 am

God this annoys the crap out of me. This is a persistent problem on teh internets - people assuming course numbering systems are uniform across schools.

To answer the question - can't hurt to take the class. You don't need to know more basics.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:05 am

1. International law was possibly the worst class you could have chosen.

2. WHy not? I doubt he'll grade you on a curve and will likely give you a lot of leeway and like your ambition. Also, assuming its an ACTUAL law class and not just taught by a law professor (as my undergrad frequently had), then I would do it as long as you have the time, cause its going to be more work than the average undergrad class.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:17 am

Take it or don't take it. It's not going to matter. Not like you are going to pwn your future law classmates bc you took some stupid class in undergrad.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:26 am

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Like others have said, take it relatively seriously and just enjoy the opportunity. I know right now I have trouble seing why anyone, undergrad or not, would want to sit through some of these lectures, but on the flip side I would have loved to take a class at my undergrad's law school as a senior. Hopefully it's a good experience for you.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:43 pm

Alltheirsplendor wrote:
rad law wrote:International law class? Prepare for a lot of useless academic mutual masturbation, even more so than a regular law class.

Oh man! That sounds horrible. ...Not gonna lie though, I'm unsure what that means.

International law is largely mythical and legal classes are mostly useless in general. Combine the 2, and you have a bundle of crap.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:45 pm

I'm taking an undergrad law class, and they really use kid gloves with you. That said, if you want to wow admissions committees with your coursework, a thesis is generally more impressive than a class. Or an independent study with a professor. Maybe a graduate seminar in your major department? I took a great international law seminar (government department, not law) because I was legitimately interested in it. Sounds like you are too. Otherwise, I'm sure there are more enjoyable yet equally impressive academic distinctions you can pursue.

It may well be a load of crap. When it comes to pipe dreams, the sooner they meet reality the better. I had dreams of getting a polisci PhD, but a single graduate seminar, though interesting, was enough for me. Better to waste your time now than in professional school. And even considering opportunity costs, hard to make the argument that this class is a waste of time now.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:20 pm

Naked Dude wrote: if you want to wow admissions committees with your coursework, a thesis is generally more impressive than a class.

pretty sure they don't care about either though

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:29 pm

td6624 wrote:
Naked Dude wrote: if you want to wow admissions committees with your coursework, a thesis is generally more impressive than a class.

pretty sure they don't care about either though

jpSartre

Postby jpSartre » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:49 pm

dude just wanted to brag

jkay

Postby jkay » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:09 pm

Flame.

Take 10,000 level classes or stick with the 400s.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:18 pm

rad law wrote:
Alltheirsplendor wrote:

International law is largely mythical and legal classes are mostly useless in general. Combine the 2, and you have a bundle of crap.

Yeah but you need to consider the OP will be comparing this to the average undergrad class which depending on his major it may be more practical that the alternative (see philosophy major).

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:23 pm

rad law wrote:
Alltheirsplendor wrote:

see I wonder about "international law." is this really just another thing the academics have invented to keep themselves busy/make money for lawl schools?

I can see the CISG as real "international law." then there are things like geneva treaties and such..but those don't really matter. most other law is going to be on a country by country basis, so saying that international law is mostly mythical is probably correct.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:26 am

i think it s a great opportunity. It s like having an opportunity to play a golf course before a tournament. (assuming no one else has played the course. It is similar to how most LS students have not taken a law class in UG) You will have one extra opportunity as compared to your future classmates.

Other students will need 1st semester of 1L year to adjust and learn from their mistakes while you can make adjustments before and during your first semester.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:01 pm

thexfactor wrote:i think it s a great opportunity. It s like having an opportunity to play a golf course before a tournament. (assuming no one else has played the course. It is similar to how most LS students have not taken a law class in UG) You will have one extra opportunity as compared to your future classmates.

Other students will need 1st semester of 1L year to adjust and learn from their mistakes while you can make adjustments before and during your first semester.

At the end of my 1L year, I'll report back and let you all know if I think the undergrad law class I took helped me out. I'm told it won't, but I shall report

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:14 pm

Naked Dude wrote:I'm taking an undergrad law class, and they really use kid gloves with you. That said, if you want to wow admissions committees with your coursework, a thesis is generally more impressive than a class. Or an independent study with a professor. Maybe a graduate seminar in your major department? I took a great international law seminar (government department, not law) because I was legitimately interested in it. Sounds like you are too. Otherwise, I'm sure there are more enjoyable yet equally impressive academic distinctions you can pursue.

It may well be a load of crap. When it comes to pipe dreams, the sooner they meet reality the better. I had dreams of getting a polisci PhD, but a single graduate seminar, though interesting, was enough for me. Better to waste your time now than in professional school. And even considering opportunity costs, hard to make the argument that this class is a waste of time now.

I took two undergrad "law" classes - crim and con law - and neither helped at all during law school. I mean, I was familiar with some of the cases and concepts (so it helped in that regard), but the way we were taught to think about the cases, discuss them, and write about them was entirely different from undergrad to law school. Basically, it didn't do anything for me other than ring a few bells while other students were being exposed to the material for the first time.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:27 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:I'm taking an undergrad law class, and they really use kid gloves with you. That said, if you want to wow admissions committees with your coursework, a thesis is generally more impressive than a class. Or an independent study with a professor. Maybe a graduate seminar in your major department? I took a great international law seminar (government department, not law) because I was legitimately interested in it. Sounds like you are too. Otherwise, I'm sure there are more enjoyable yet equally impressive academic distinctions you can pursue.

I took two undergrad "law" classes - crim and con law - and neither helped at all during law school. I mean, I was familiar with some of the cases and concepts (so it helped in that regard), but the way we were taught to think about the cases, discuss them, and write about them was entirely different from undergrad to law school. Basically, it didn't do anything for me other than ring a few bells while other students were being exposed to the material for the first time.

i think the difference is that the OP is going to take a real law school class intended for law students. Not an UG law class.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:34 pm

thexfactor wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:

i think the difference is that the OP is going to take a real law school class intended for law students. Not an UG law class.

I know - I was responding to the person I quoted who said she was taking an undergrad law class now. :D

To the OP, I don't think it would hurt to take it. It will give you a sense of the style in which law classes are taught and give you some familiarity with the Socratic method.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:24 am

you should try to take an easy class like Federal Courts or Administrative Law

Postby 23402385985 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:21 pm

Level 6000? Weak sauce, man.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”