POLL: share my precious outline??

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

share outline

yes
58
56%
no
45
44%
 
Total votes: 103

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4862
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: POLL: share my precious outline??

Postby Borhas » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:29 am

it's a social faux paux to ask for the work of someone that you are not friends with or who you haven't offered to help out in the past

it's also a social faux paux to turn down someone willing to shame themselves by doing the above

awkward situation but neither choice you make is really right or wrong, the manner in which you act on your choice will be more important


$0.02

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11726
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: POLL: share my precious outline??

Postby kalvano » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:35 am

fathergoose wrote:
kalvano wrote:Glad to know my classmates are so share-friendly.

Haha touché.

Part of it is not wanting to share my hard work but most of it is putting my outline out there for someone else to look at and criticize. I'd much rather work together with someone to make an outline than make one and share it with them


I don't mind at all. I share outlines that have been forwarded to me and I would call community property, but the stuff I spent hours refining and working on? Not with some random person. Someone I know or am friends with, sure. But if someone I've never talked to before asked me for my own personal outline, I'd be more than a little put out.

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: POLL: share my precious outline??

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:36 am

Cupidity wrote:No one will ever outperform you with your own outline, so it's not like you are going to shoot yourself in the foot. .


This is false. While it's unlikely, it happens. I know someone who did fairly well without making outlines and just using other people's outlines---usually better than the people who made the outlines.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: POLL: share my precious outline??

Postby Veyron » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:27 am

kalvano wrote:
fathergoose wrote:
kalvano wrote:Glad to know my classmates are so share-friendly.

Haha touché.

Part of it is not wanting to share my hard work but most of it is putting my outline out there for someone else to look at and criticize. I'd much rather work together with someone to make an outline than make one and share it with them


I don't mind at all. I share outlines that have been forwarded to me and I would call community property, but the stuff I spent hours refining and working on? Not with some random person. Someone I know or am friends with, sure. But if someone I've never talked to before asked me for my own personal outline, I'd be more than a little put out.


Aaaaaaaaand this is why I'm glad I go to Penn.

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: POLL: share my precious outline??

Postby FiveSermon » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:40 am

Veyron wrote:
kalvano wrote:
fathergoose wrote:
kalvano wrote:Glad to know my classmates are so share-friendly.

Haha touché.

Part of it is not wanting to share my hard work but most of it is putting my outline out there for someone else to look at and criticize. I'd much rather work together with someone to make an outline than make one and share it with them


I don't mind at all. I share outlines that have been forwarded to me and I would call community property, but the stuff I spent hours refining and working on? Not with some random person. Someone I know or am friends with, sure. But if someone I've never talked to before asked me for my own personal outline, I'd be more than a little put out.


Aaaaaaaaand this is why I'm glad I go to Penn.


Doesn't Kalvano go to NU? I had this image of NU as a really chill place (mostly because of DF).

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19668
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: POLL: share my precious outline??

Postby dailygrind » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:35 am

i like how the poll has approximately even votes, but most of the people who actually speak up are advocating sharing. damn, pplz, stand by of your choices.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11726
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: POLL: share my precious outline??

Postby kalvano » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:42 am

No, I go to SMU. And I don't understand the crack about Penn. Are you implying that there is something wrong with not wanting to share my own personal outline that I worked hard on with someone I've never met before?

There are tons of outlines floating around for the school that are professor specific - go get one of those.

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: POLL: share my precious outline??

Postby dood » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:03 pm

what a fucking EPIC poll. it was like 13 (for) vs. 19 (against sharing) when i went to sleep last night. let me clarify something: this person talks to me all the time b/c they sit next to me, perhaps attempting to be my friend - but we do not hang out, study together or anything else. if this were a friend, we wouldnt be having this discussion.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4862
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: POLL: share my precious outline??

Postby Borhas » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:40 pm

dood wrote:what a fucking EPIC poll. it was like 13 (for) vs. 19 (against sharing) when i went to sleep last night. let me clarify something: this person talks to me all the time b/c they sit next to me, perhaps attempting to be my friend - but we do not hang out, study together or anything else. if this were a friend, we wouldnt be having this discussion.


share it, but use a black marker and censor out all the super classified black letter law

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: POLL: share my precious outline??

Postby PDaddy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:46 pm

Write a second, inferior outline and give him that one. If he's an idiot who won't do his own work, he will never know the difference. lol.

Psyche! We would all like to do that, but, karma can be a b*tch with an attitude. In the end, the cream always rises to the top. Someone can have all of the tools, but if they don't do their work, they still won't write good exams. Share with the guy, you never know when you might be in need of help from him or someone else.

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: POLL: share my precious outline??

Postby zeth006 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:09 pm

Love how the question is tilted slightly to be biased toward a specific answer.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: POLL: share my precious outline??

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:17 pm

Meh, I would maybe share my outline with a good friend who asked for it, I would never share it with some random person who I barely know. I work hard on mine, you can work hard on your own. I don't really see what the problem with this approach is.

LoriBelle
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:00 pm

Re: POLL: share my precious outline??

Postby LoriBelle » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:21 pm

HELL no, I would NOT share my outline (by which I mean an outline that I've been working on all semester, by MYSELF) with somebody too lazy to do the work! This isn't because I'm protective of my outline or scared they will outperform me, or that I think I'm smarter than anybody else, but more that it feels unjust, and I really don't think somebody else should be rewarded for my hard work.

Old outlines? Sure I would share them. But my own outline? Not on your life. I don't know how I feel about sharing my own outlines with younger students, but definitely not somebody in my class unless they were a close friend or there were extenuating circumstances (death in the family, prolonged illness, or something like that). If I sat through those paint-dryingly-boring Crim classes, people who slept late shouldn't reap the benefit of my dedication.

(Note: I am a really nice person, I swear...and saying no sucks, but I would still say no. I would also be less inclined to say no if the person were my friend...but my friends really aren't the type who would even ask. I do share old outlines and class notes liberally with people I know, and I don't mind doing so at all...but asking me for my own hours of hard work is just beyond the pale. Of course, I don't always make a classic outline anyway. I've found that different formats work better for different classes/professors/exam styles.)

forty-two
Posts: 433
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:33 am

Re: POLL: share my precious outline??

Postby forty-two » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:50 pm

I'm really surprised at the number of people ITT who wouldn't share their outlines with people. I honestly don't see how it's unjust. Whenever I give someone my outline they usually give me theirs in return or they give me their outline for another class that I might be struggling with. Idk, I guess I just don't see what the big deal is. Yes, I work hard on my outlines, but I always share when asked or when I feel like someone's having trouble with something...even if I don't know them all that well. Also, I'll always get more benefit out of it anyway because I'm the one who actually went through the process of writing it. Maybe I'm just weird though.

cornellbeez
Posts: 301
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:43 am

Re: POLL: share my precious outline??

Postby cornellbeez » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:55 pm

If you worked on it, then it's up to you. I think it's 50-50 on that.

If you didn't make it, then by all means share. (i know someone who didn't want to share an outline they got from someone else....annoying and sneaky.)

Total Litigator
Posts: 695
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:17 pm

Re: POLL: share my precious outline??

Postby Total Litigator » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:05 am

I gave an outline to an LLM to JD student once. I just sat down next to her randomly (I had never seen her before, and vice versa) and she turned to me in the first minute of the first day of class and said, "You write good notes, can I have?" I quickly and honestly informed her that I took horrible notes and wouldn't wish them on anyone. The next day she found a new seat and stayed there for the rest of the term, so I presume she found a willing volunteer.

Towards the end of the term I ended up giving her my notes, but I'm not lying when I say they were terrible.

User avatar
Moxie
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: POLL: share my precious outline??

Postby Moxie » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:28 am

Cupidity wrote:No one will ever outperform you with your own outline, so it's not like you are going to shoot yourself in the foot. Go ahead and share it, it's good Karma. You never know when the other student or one of their friends will help you out in the future. Dumb people get lucky.


+1. It never hurts to have someone owe you a favor, and youŕe going to get more out of your outline than the person youŕe giving it to.

I know TLS is full of egomaniacs, but isnt there some benefit to being a nice person and helping out someone else? (Even though youŕe not friends, itś clear this guy is friendly enough to ask you for your outline. Give him credit, it takes balls to ask someone for their outline.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: POLL: share my precious outline??

Postby RVP11 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:59 am

forty-two wrote:I'm really surprised at the number of people ITT who wouldn't share their outlines with people.


I don't think anyone has an absolute problem with sharing outlines. Most people will share with any of their friends. It's when a complete stranger asks you that it gets weird.

User avatar
SAOJD10
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: POLL: share my precious outline??

Postby SAOJD10 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:04 pm

share your outlines . . . . . they benefit you by making them, and plus its always nice to call in favors because of your generosity




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests