I can't believe that people are still making outlines...

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Magnificent

I can't believe that people are still making outlines...

Postby Magnificent » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:40 pm

LOL @ anyone working on an outline 2nd semester.

After seeing what a waste of time it was first semester and I don't understand why people (like sheep) keep doing the same useless routine.

People waste so much time making outlines. There is a simple solution here that most are ignorant to. Just get a decent outline from an upperclassman who took the course and take practice exams. Everything else including hornbooks and commercial outlines are unnecessary.

Re: I can't believe that people are still making outlines...

Postby 09042014 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:43 pm

Magnificent wrote:LOL @ anyone working on an outline 2nd semester.

After seeing what a waste of time it was first semester and I don't understand why people (like sheep) keep doing the same useless routine.

People waste so much time making outlines. There is a simple solution here that most are ignorant to. Just get a decent outline from an upperclassman who took the course and take practice exams. Everything else including hornbooks and commercial outlines are unnecessary.

Different things work for different people. I for one am never making an outline again. But for others, that shit works.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:43 pm

Its the creation of the outline that was important to me. It was my way of reviewing the material, recalling important details, raising questions to discuss with classmates, and making everything fresh in my mind. The end document is worthless. It was the process of creating it that I benefited so much from. Just grabbing a commercial outline or an upperclassmen outline takes away the one part that actually makes outlining worthwhile.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:47 pm

As others have said, I find the value of outlines to be the process of creating it. While people should do whatever works best for themselves, you're absolutely wrong to call the process "a waste of time."

Two additional points:

(a) the majority of the top of the class still make outlines as 2Ls, and

(b) your approach relies on other people making outlines.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:48 pm

I don't even think that doing more than one or two practice exams per class has much value. Its much more important to read all of the model answers.

Flanker1067

Postby Flanker1067 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:48 pm

Also, I'm in the unfortunate position of having two prof's who have never taught their respective classes before.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:51 pm

"Making outlines" doesn't mean using 100% of your own material from scratch. Also, sometimes profs add or change things. I always get previous outlines but change them around so they work for me and so I can actually use them during the exam.

hth.

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:52 pm

I always make my own outlines. Very useful for learning the material and figuring out how to apply it, though I basically don't use them at all on the actual exam.

I'll keep doing so until I graduate.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:52 pm

While I personally don't find making my own outlines super useful, I can see its value for a lot of people. Diff' stroke for diff' folks. But either way, definitely +1 to practice exams lol.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:59 pm

I basically pull together 2/3 outlines from other students/TLS and then start applying that to Practice Exams. I learn best in applying the material, not typing shit up. But I can understand how a lot of people learn by making outlines. And I think E&E's are the very useful.

What I don't understand is why the OP started this thread. You proud of yourself? Want a cookie?

Talon

Postby Talon » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:02 pm

You're right; perhaps I would have done better in law school had I not made my own outlines. I now see the error of my ways.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:05 pm

Talon wrote:You're right; perhaps I would have done better in law school had I not made my own outlines. I now see the error of my ways.

OHHHHHHHHHHHH SHITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

OP got burned.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:07 pm

To each his own is TCR. I don't outline or do practice exams...

Postby 09042014 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:13 pm

Lieut Kaffee wrote:To each his own is TCR. I don't outline or do practice exams...

Then what the hell are you doing?

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:17 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Lieut Kaffee wrote:To each his own is TCR. I don't outline or do practice exams...

mbusch22

Postby mbusch22 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:34 pm

Im assuming this extremely generalized and presumptuous post is based on your extensive and experience-imparting first semester as a 1L. You must be right then! Making outlines, hornbooks, commercial outlines.. pshhh. If you don't need them, then certainly no one at the 200 other law schools across the nation (with different classes, competition, professors) needs them either.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:50 pm

People waste much more time posting about how people who make outlines waste time.

You can say, "Just use an old outline" until it's a new professor teaching the subject, or until the old teacher changes up their emphasis drastically (this happens more often than you'd think) so the old outline you have that was ridiculously detailed for products liability and less so for medical malpractice is less useful.

One of my exams had multiple questions that referenced Note cases from the casebook, where it was significantly discussed, but the teacher barely touched it in class. So if you had done the reading, you knew what your professor was looking for; when I went over my exams later with my professors the one professor quite candidly acknowledged that the question was placed specifically to reward diligent reading.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:36 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Both last semester and for my spring break final I just starting cramming a few days before with pre-existing outlines and supplements on occasion...

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:37 pm

Magnificent's first post on TLS.

160k starting salary = biglaw

PERIOD

An unsubtle troll.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:38 pm

Lieut Kaffee wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Both last semester and for my spring break final I just starting cramming a few days before with pre-existing outlines and supplements on occasion...

That's how I did Torts and Civ Pro and worked for me. I'm going to try this year, but I have to make my own IP outline since my prof hasn't taught since 03 and shit has changed.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:40 pm

Practice exams are a far more profitable method of study when possible. I only plan on outlining con-law because it is too wonky to use anyone elses outline.

Magnificent

Postby Magnificent » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:03 pm

gwuorbust wrote:I basically pull together 2/3 outlines from other students/TLS and then start applying that to Practice Exams. I learn best in applying the material, not typing shit up. But I can understand how a lot of people learn by making outlines. And I think E&E's are the very useful.

What I don't understand is why the OP started this thread. You proud of yourself? Want a cookie?

yes I want a cookie

I've never made an outline and am currently top 3% at a top 6 school

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:08 pm

Magnificent wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:I basically pull together 2/3 outlines from other students/TLS and then start applying that to Practice Exams. I learn best in applying the material, not typing shit up. But I can understand how a lot of people learn by making outlines. And I think E&E's are the very useful.

yes I want a cookie

I've never made an outline and am currently top 3% at a top 6 school

Not top 2%? Not a top 5 school?
TTT study habits brohan.

dood

Postby dood » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:22 pm

i cant believe there are still people going to class.

mths

Postby mths » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:24 pm

seriously

if law school teaches you ANYTHING it's that there is only one answer to every problem

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”