2L Year Courses

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
dakatz

2L Year Courses

Postby dakatz » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:28 pm

Just curious about how people plan our their 2L year. I know it varies by school, but do most people take 3 or 4 substantive courses per semester during 2L year? I know that many of the time-consuming activities start up at the beginning of 2L year so I'm just not sure how those factor in. I hope to get onto law review, but will definitely do secondary journal if I don't make law review. I also plan on being a TA in the 1L writing program, which seems like it is fairly time consuming and the school provides graded credits for doing so. Given the activities that many 2L's participate in, what is a smart number of classes to take? Any wisdom in lightening the load, or is it important to fill it up to the max?

Aberzombie1892

Re: 2L Year Courses

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:33 pm

dakatz wrote:Just curious about how people plan our their 2L year. I know it varies by school, but do most people take 3 or 4 substantive courses per semester during 2L year? I know that many of the time-consuming activities start up at the beginning of 2L year so I'm just not sure how those factor in. I hope to get onto law review, but will definitely do secondary journal if I don't make law review. I also plan on being a TA in the 1L writing program, which seems like it is fairly time consuming and the school provides graded credits for doing so. Given the activities that many 2L's participate in, what is a smart number of classes to take? Any wisdom in lightening the load, or is it important to fill it up to the max?
o

It depends. From what I have seen, the average law school student takes 4 black letter law courses/seminars and then journals/moot court/mini courses to fill up the rest.

If the maximum amount of credits you can receive for the semester is 17, you should take about 15 (15 each semester would be all you would need to graduate). The maximum credit limit per semester is set in proportion to the number of credits you need to graduate, courtesy of the ABA.

swc65

Re: 2L Year Courses

Postby swc65 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:38 pm

My School offer summer intensive course that start a few weeks before regular course. A couple of 2Ls have said this allowed them to take fewer classes during Fall 2L and they had more time for callbacks and other work.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”