Deleted - thanks for your input Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
KMaine

Silver

Re: 1L at a T10 law school - should I drop out?

Post by KMaine » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:17 am

catechism wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:You own a company but cannot work there because you have hired other (full-time long term managers) managers ???

What is a "full-time, long-term manager" ?

Are there employment contracts ?

Without more information this seems ridiculous.
@CanadianWolf - When I left the company, my partner and I hired a full time employee to take over the management duties that I had previously held. This person is doing an excellent job, and I'm not going to oust him simply because I had a change of heart about law school. I'm not a cold-hearted bastard - not sure what seems ridiculous about that.
I don't see how this would be being a "cold-hearted bastard." Help the manager find another job or something.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:26 am

If you stay in law school, and you don't like law, you deserve to be miserable.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:29 am

OP: Your posts are confusing. How do you earn dividends if you have a partner in your business; either your business is a corporation or it is a partnership. Law may not be the best profession for you so I voted "No, cut your losses".

LettuceBeefRealTea

New

Post by LettuceBeefRealTea » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:34 am

catechism wrote:
LettuceBeefRealTea wrote:why are you not deducting your tuition in your company's taxes?
No go, unfortunately - in order for a business to deduct, the education has to be "work-related," and cannot qualify you for a new trade or business (even if you have no intention of practicing). See example 1 below, from irs.gov. Nice thought, though.

Education That Qualifies You for a New Trade or Business

Education that is part of a program of study that will qualify you for a new trade or business is not qualifying work- related education. This is true even if you do not plan to enter that trade or business.

If you are an employee, a change of duties that involves the same general kind of work is not a new trade or business.

Example 1.

You are an accountant. Your employer requires you to get a law degree at your own expense. You register at a law school for the regular curriculum that leads to a law degree. Even if you do not intend to become a lawyer, the education is not qualifying because the law degree will qualify you for a new trade or business.

new trade as in a change from pre-existing qualifications or any education that gives you new skills?
because you're a licensed teacher or what? that sucks.

Rule11

Bronze

Post by Rule11 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:04 am

It makes me sad that nobody in this thread has challenged the implied idea here that law is basically boring and uncreative.

On the contrary, if you are intelligent (which you almost certainly are), there is quite a bit to get excited, even passionate about in the study of law. A precise, persuasive legal argument requires not just knowledge and attention to detail, but originality and insight as well. These are absolutely creative skills.

If your "right-brain" feels stifled by the study of law, then you're doing it wrong. Get yourself excited about the material. Read interesting legal scholarship--a lot of it is masturbatory and pompous (like a lot of art), but a lot of it is fascinating and mind-altering. A great example of the kind of scholarship that might help you see the law differently is http://lawweb.colorado.edu/profiles/pub ... hetics.pdf (Pierre Schlag, The Aesthetics of American Law). Pure doctrinal analysis can be delightful too, though--if you let it, and stop moping about how you're so much more interesting than your classmates.

(I apologize for the harshness of that last sentence--you seem like a nice person, but your post also comes across as a bit dismissive of what your classmates might have to offer. Maybe they aren't so lame after all?)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LettuceBeefRealTea

New

Post by LettuceBeefRealTea » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:33 am

Rule11 wrote:It makes me sad that nobody in this thread has challenged the implied idea here that law is basically boring and uncreative.

On the contrary, if you are intelligent (which you almost certainly are), there is quite a bit to get excited, even passionate about in the study of law. A precise, persuasive legal argument requires not just knowledge and attention to detail, but originality and insight as well. These are absolutely creative skills.

If your "right-brain" feels stifled by the study of law, then you're doing it wrong. Get yourself excited about the material. Read interesting legal scholarship--a lot of it is masturbatory and pompous (like a lot of art), but a lot of it is fascinating and mind-altering. A great example of the kind of scholarship that might help you see the law differently is http://lawweb.colorado.edu/profiles/pub ... hetics.pdf (Pierre Schlag, The Aesthetics of American Law). Pure doctrinal analysis can be delightful too, though--if you let it, and stop moping about how you're so much more interesting than your classmates.

(I apologize for the harshness of that last sentence--you seem like a nice person, but your post also comes across as a bit dismissive of what your classmates might have to offer. Maybe they aren't so lame after all?)
made me think of

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:42 am

stick it out. work is supposed to suck.

otherwise, move to east village, share an apartment with 6 other people, and paint / read beckett.

catechism

New

Re: Deleted - thanks for your input

Post by catechism » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:45 am

Thanks to all who shared their legitimate thoughts and advice on this issue. The cynicism and general sense of animosity generated here and by messages I have received is unbelievable. I'm no rainbow-chaser, but I am genuinely taken aback by and deeply sorry for those of you who believe that work is supposed to be miserable, or those of you who have never experienced true passion for something. Same goes for those of you who equate and limit the idea of doing what you love to "moving to East Village, sharing an apartment with 6 people, and painting." What a shame. Maybe I'm not the only one who needs to take a good, hard look at what I'm doing. Thanks again to those of you who answered my question seriously, and best of luck to you all.

Stonewall

Bronze

Post by Stonewall » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:49 am

catechism wrote:Thanks to all who shared their legitimate thoughts and advice on this issue. The cynicism and general sense of animosity generated here and by messages I have received is unbelievable. I'm no rainbow-chaser, but I am genuinely taken aback by and deeply sorry for those of you who believe that work is supposed to be miserable, or those of you who have never experienced true passion for something. Same goes for those of you who equate and limit the idea of doing what you love to "moving to East Village, sharing an apartment with 6 people, and painting." What a shame. Maybe I'm not the only one who needs to take a good, hard look at what I'm doing. Thanks again to those of you who answered my question seriously, and best of luck to you all.
TLS -- where hopes and dreams are both forged and crushed

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rule11

Bronze

Post by Rule11 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:02 pm

catechism wrote:Thanks to all who shared their legitimate thoughts and advice on this issue. The cynicism and general sense of animosity generated here and by messages I have received is unbelievable. I'm no rainbow-chaser, but I am genuinely taken aback by and deeply sorry for those of you who believe that work is supposed to be miserable, or those of you who have never experienced true passion for something. Same goes for those of you who equate and limit the idea of doing what you love to "moving to East Village, sharing an apartment with 6 people, and painting." What a shame. Maybe I'm not the only one who needs to take a good, hard look at what I'm doing. Thanks again to those of you who answered my question seriously, and best of luck to you all.
Did someone send you a mean private message? What you're saying here is hard to square with the thread I just read.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”