Patent Bar - where register?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
DavisPoster

Patent Bar - where register?

Postby DavisPoster » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:13 pm

Ok, I'm having a hell of a time. I'm on the USPTO website and all I want to do is register to take the Patent Bar. The "Exam Registration" page doesn't seem to link me to anywhere I can actually register. Anyone know where I can go to register?

Black-Blue

Re: Patent Bar - where register?

Postby Black-Blue » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:06 pm

You can only register by snail mail. You have to send in the forms on their site.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:40 pm

Black-Blue wrote:You can only register by snail mail. You have to send in the forms on their site.

CR. Turnaround time is usually a few days.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:47 pm

Anyone know the turn around between when you send it in and the absolute earliest you get results back? I might try to get it done before Loyola but that's in late July. It may be too late.

boozehound

Postby boozehound » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:58 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Anyone know the turn around between when you send it in and the absolute earliest you get results back? I might try to get it done before Loyola but that's in late July. It may be too late.

It took me 3 weeks to get approved to take the test after filing my application. It took 2 weeks for my registration to be processed after I passed the test.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:16 pm

boozehound wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Anyone know the turn around between when you send it in and the absolute earliest you get results back? I might try to get it done before Loyola but that's in late July. It may be too late.

It took me 3 weeks to get approved to take the test after filing my application. It took 2 weeks for my registration to be processed after I passed the test.

CR. Although I've heard of quicker turnaround times between sending the application materials and being approved. Also, I'm pretty sure it took them forever to send me my certificate and registration number (I think you can technically find your reg number online through the USPTO search function...so long as your time on the "list" before they actually approve you has expired...I forget the rule on this, but after you pass your name is put on a "list" for a certain amount of time so that anyone can bring C&F issues to the PTOs attention...like that happens very often :? ).

If you get the ball rolling now, I think you'd have enough time between finals and Loyola to sit for and pass the exam. A few months of casual studying should get the job done, even if you work full time. I'm not sure if you're allowed to list it on the resume before you've been admitted, but you might want to check with your CDO about that. I had already taken it before LS (wanted to get it out of the way), so I'm not sure about the rule. I think it's a HUGE help in certain aspects of OCI, especially for the IP boutiques.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:21 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
boozehound wrote:

CR. Although I've heard of quicker turnaround times between sending the application materials and being approved. Also, I'm pretty sure it took them forever to send me my certificate and registration number (I think you can technically find your reg number online through the USPTO search function...so long as your time on the "list" before they actually approve you has expired...I forget the rule on this, but after you pass your name is put on a "list" for a certain amount of time so that anyone can bring C&F issues to the PTOs attention...like that happens very often :? ).

If you get the ball rolling now, I think you'd have enough time between finals and Loyola to sit for and pass the exam. A few months of casual studying should get the job done, even if you work full time. I'm not sure if you're allowed to list it on the resume before you've been admitted, but you might want to check with your CDO about that. I had already taken it before LS (wanted to get it out of the way), so I'm not sure about the rule. I think it's a HUGE help in certain aspects of OCI, especially for the IP boutiques.

I'm not sure why it'd be a plus for a firm, it seems trivial to pass it. But I've heard it can help.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:27 pm

I think it made a (slight) difference in my OCI cycle. (PM for details)

My impression was that it shows you're serious about the work/practice. Moreover, consensus opinion (again, based upon all the interviewers I spoke with during OCI) seemed to be that, even if you're not going to do prosecution, firms like associates/prospectives to have patent reg # since (a) you can take-on more work and (b) lots of trial issues (claims, defenses, etc...) are going to be based, at least in part, upon procedural issues during prosecution. Basically, they made it seem like the reg # today, regardless of whether you use it, is a proxy for general understanding of the entire prosecution process. Despite how mechanical the rules of prosecution seem to be, you'd be surprised how many issues get litigated about them, and at least having a background seems to be a good selling point (I assume also clients might like to see that younger associates working for them would like to see that those associates have a reg #, thereby sort of "implying" they know a thing or do about prosecution, especially if its relevant in their case).

In sum, it can't hurt, but it's not going to be a golden-ticket for a biglaw jerb.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:32 am

There's likely a rush on things right now since the test is changing. Wouldn't surprise me if things are a little slower than usual.

Also, anyone know what effect a government shutdown would have on things? Thankfully I'm done already, just curious.

DavisPoster

Postby DavisPoster » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:30 am

Thanks all!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”