LL.M. Admissions for a Dirty Foreigner (HLS, YLS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Uriel

LL.M. Admissions for a Dirty Foreigner (HLS, YLS)

Postby Uriel » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:51 pm

Hi all,

I've done a site search for LL.M. threads, and after 15 pages of results I've still got a few questions.

I'm a Canadian 3L, so the typical "tax triplet" LL.M. chart doesn't apply to me as much as it does a U.S. domestic student. There are a few benefits I'm keen on. The opportunity to practice in the U.S. is nice, and the area of law I'm interested in could both benefit from a comparative perspective and I'm going to be doing a lot of cross-border work. That gets complicated when you've never learned anything about Restatements or the UCC. A lot of my future clients are going to be American multinationals that will benefit from my understanding the progress of their case south of the border.

Moreover, I'm academically inclined and in Canada, an LL.M. is good enough. Clerkship desirable but unnecessary, terminal degree a rarity. Most of our top-flight Gen X professors stop at a T14 LL.M. (though Harvard and Yale are by far the expected credentials). I may go academic and I may not, but it'd be nice to have the option and there is a tangible benefit to the program for me even in terms of practice development; a solid grasp of American law is highly desirable for big firms up here. They look favourably on associates that have been called to the New York bar, and on top of everything else, I think we have more burdensome continuing education requirements than you folks down south do.

So, here's the question: does anyone know how stringent LL.M. admissions criteria are at Harvard and Yale if you're a dirty foreigner? I'm (barely) top quartile at the University of Toronto (comparable to Duke for admissions, but I've heard it compared to Georgetown in terms of prestige) and should have four publications out by 2012. I'm also senior editor of the law review. I will have practiced on the Canadian version of Wall Street for a few years by the time I apply, mostly in the Canadian mirrors of the largest American class actions. I'll have great recommendations by academics recognizable in the States, but the way our system works (<5% of the class gets an A) my transcript will be laden with "B+"es. Am I doomed, do I have a shot?

Many thanks in advance!

Veyron

Re: LL.M. Admissions for a Dirty Foreigner (HLS, YLS)

Postby Veyron » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:56 pm

Uriel wrote:Hi all,

I've done a site search for LL.M. threads, and after 15 pages of results I've still got a few questions.

I'm a Canadian 3L, so the typical "tax triplet" LL.M. chart doesn't apply to me as much as it does a U.S. domestic student. There are a few benefits I'm keen on. The opportunity to practice in the U.S. is nice, and the area of law I'm interested in could both benefit from a comparative perspective and I'm going to be doing a lot of cross-border work. That gets complicated when you've never learned anything about Restatements or the UCC. A lot of my future clients are going to be American multinationals that will benefit from my understanding the progress of their case south of the border.

Moreover, I'm academically inclined and in Canada, an LL.M. is good enough. Clerkship desirable but unnecessary, terminal degree a rarity. Most of our top-flight Gen X professors stop at a T14 LL.M. (though Harvard and Yale are by far the expected credentials). I may go academic and I may not, but it'd be nice to have the option and there is a tangible benefit to the program for me even in terms of practice development; a solid grasp of American law is highly desirable for big firms up here. They look favourably on associates that have been called to the New York bar, and on top of everything else, I think we have more burdensome continuing education requirements than you folks down south do.

So, here's the question: does anyone know how stringent LL.M. admissions criteria are at Harvard and Yale if you're a dirty foreigner? I'm (barely) top quartile at the University of Toronto (comparable to Duke for admissions, but I've heard it compared to Georgetown in terms of prestige) and should have four publications out by 2012. I'm also senior editor of the law review. I will have practiced on the Canadian version of Wall Street for a few years by the time I apply, mostly in the Canadian mirrors of the largest American class actions. I'll have great recommendations by academics recognizable in the States, but the way our system works (<5% of the class gets an A) my transcript will be laden with "B+"es. Am I doomed, do I have a shot?

(a) LLM admissions are nowhere near as difficult as JD admissions.
(b) In American law schools grades don't matter one bit, only rank does. You could have all C's for all anyone cares but if you are at the top of the class, you are at the top of the class.

Many thanks in advance!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”