Is it Important to Have a Smartphone in Law School?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
jcunni5
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: Is it Important to Have a Smartphone in Law School?

Postby jcunni5 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:05 pm

if you want to look at porn in class it's probably a big advantage to have a smartphone, because a smaller screen gives you more privacy

maf70
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:57 am

Re: Is it Important to Have a Smartphone in Law School?

Postby maf70 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:06 pm

jcunni5 wrote:if you want to look at porn in class it's probably a big advantage to have a smartphone, because a smaller screen gives you more privacy


180

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Is it Important to Have a Smartphone in Law School?

Postby thecilent » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:08 pm

maf70 wrote:
jcunni5 wrote:if you want to look at porn in class it's probably a big advantage to have a smartphone, because a smaller screen gives you more privacy


180

No it doesn't even make sense.

User avatar
jcunni5
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: Is it Important to Have a Smartphone in Law School?

Postby jcunni5 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:12 pm

thecilent wrote:
maf70 wrote:
jcunni5 wrote:if you want to look at porn in class it's probably a big advantage to have a smartphone, because a smaller screen gives you more privacy


180

No it doesn't even make sense.


if you pull porn up on your laptop in the middle of class people will notice dood, if you have a smartphone you can kind of cover it with your hand or put it on your lap and enjoy the show privately, you are obviously an 0L

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6047
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: Is it Important to Have a Smartphone in Law School?

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:36 pm

jcunni5 wrote:
thecilent wrote:
maf70 wrote:
jcunni5 wrote:if you want to look at porn in class it's probably a big advantage to have a smartphone, because a smaller screen gives you more privacy


180

No it doesn't even make sense.


if you pull porn up on your laptop in the middle of class people will notice dood, if you have a smartphone you can kind of cover it with your hand or put it on your lap and enjoy the show privately, you are obviously an 0L

random5483
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:17 pm

Re: Is it Important to Have a Smartphone in Law School?

Postby random5483 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:32 am

The importance of a smartphone in law school depends on your preferences. My smartphone mainly helps me by acting as a calendar. Email access on the phone is nice, but you can manage by checking your email on the computer. I mean, it is not like law school students need 24/7 email access.

Smartphones are great and I would have trouble managing without one, but the benefits are not unique to law school. If you manage daily life without a smartphone, you won't need one in law school. Simply put, a smartphone is not needed, but can be useful for those who use them to stay organized.

User avatar
BlakcMajikc
Posts: 763
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: Is it Important to Have a Smartphone in Law School?

Postby BlakcMajikc » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:37 am

esq wrote:So it sounds like the biggest asset would be the organization from having your planner and your phone all in one. Thanks for the input guys - I especially like the string phone idea, do they come with a data plan?

And Bumi, I'm leaning towards cheaping out of the smartphone idea, and if I'm gonna cheap out I'm gonna do it big time. Any idea how T-mobile is in C'ville?



Tmobile may be merging with AT&T in approximately 12 months. Might be a good network to join.
--LinkRemoved--

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: Is it Important to Have a Smartphone in Law School?

Postby ArchRoark » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:42 am

I am still waiting for them to bring back:

Image

User avatar
esq
Posts: 571
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: Is it Important to Have a Smartphone in Law School?

Postby esq » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:22 am

^If you can find one with a rotary dial, consider me a fan.

random5483 wrote:My smartphone mainly helps me by acting as a calendar.

This is actually one of the biggest draws, IMO. I think it would be nice to have a personal organizer with me at all times. I don't like the old school planner books, I never seem to use them. And there's no way that I'm going to spend a few hundred on a PDA and have to carry it and my phone with me at all times. I'm actually looking into Sprint's employee referral program, it looks like it cuts the cost by just enough to make it worth while. It's really not as bad as I thought, comparatively.

P.S. That's big news about AT&T and T-Mobile. I wonder how it will affect the already overpriced market to eliminate a big contender like that? Hopefully - at least - their coverage won't be as shitty anymore.

Lucidity
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:42 pm

Re: Is it Important to Have a Smartphone in Law School?

Postby Lucidity » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:40 am

I think this is a really silly question. I have a smart phone and did well. My friend who has a dumb phone also did well. Could it be somewhat useful? Sure, but its hardly worth justifying shelling out the extra cash for the phone/data plan to "do well" in law school. The advantages, if any, are marginal at best and you should always have a laptop on you while you're on campus anyways.

In short, a smart phone is nice to have, in that it makes every day tasks a bit more convenient. Get one if you want one, but don't try to justify the purchase with any foolish notion that it might give you an edge in law school.

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6047
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: Is it Important to Have a Smartphone in Law School?

Postby Stanford4Me » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:56 am

Lucidity wrote:I think this is a really silly question. I have a smart phone and did well. My friend who has a dumb phone also did well. Could it be somewhat useful? Sure, but its hardly worth justifying shelling out the extra cash for the phone/data plan to "do well" in law school. The advantages, if any, are marginal at best and you should always have a laptop on you while you're on campus anyways.

In short, a smart phone is nice to have, in that it makes every day tasks a bit more convenient. Get one if you want one, but don't try to justify the purchase with any foolish notion that it might give you an edge in law school.

Thanks for reading the thread, bro.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4855
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: Is it Important to Have a Smartphone in Law School?

Postby Borhas » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:22 pm

a smart phone is a luxury that creates dependency

kind of like crack

hence crackberry

User avatar
Gatriel
Posts: 2015
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: Is it Important to Have a Smartphone in Law School?

Postby Gatriel » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:27 pm

Yes. There are many, many CDO opportunities that are FCFS. Having a smart phone ensures you get the eMail regardless if you are in front of your computer or not.

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Is it Important to Have a Smartphone in Law School?

Postby thecilent » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:49 pm

Oh, yeah, rc fail on my part up there.

(sorry for this unnecessary bump)

Younger Abstention
Posts: 335
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: Is it Important to Have a Smartphone in Law School?

Postby Younger Abstention » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:44 pm

What the hell is wrong with everyone? It isn't important at all. News flash: You aren't important enough as a law student that you need constant and instant access to your gmail accounts. And it won't help you learn Torts. Hope that helps.

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: Is it Important to Have a Smartphone in Law School?

Postby zeth006 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:55 pm

I'm with Virgin Mobile, so I pay about $27/month after taxes for 300 min/unlimited text/unlimited data with my no-contract smartphone. Getting near-instantaneous e-mail updates can be convenient for about on-campus events with limited tickets/seating available, but honestly, I could probably live without phone internet connectivity and not be any less advantaged. I'm in a unique position where I've saved money by not going with Verizon's standard $39.99 before taxes/fees or even a cheap prepaid as I text a lot but don't talk much.

Zazelmaf
Posts: 229
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Is it Important to Have a Smartphone in Law School?

Postby Zazelmaf » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:16 pm

My wife has one of those tracphones. I don't own one, and maybe make a call a couple times a year. Maybe receive a call twice a month.

I love the freedom!

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: Is it Important to Have a Smartphone in Law School?

Postby zeth006 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:40 pm

Zazelmaf wrote:My wife has one of those tracphones. I don't own one, and maybe make a call a couple times a year. Maybe receive a call twice a month.

I love the freedom!


Just my thoughts, but with no-name companies like Metro PCS gaining some traction, it looks to me like the low-budget carriers might actually provide some real competition, T-Mobile acquisition or not.

User avatar
Attorney
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:52 am

Re: Is it Important to Have a Smartphone in Law School?

Postby Attorney » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:12 pm

patrickd139 wrote:Once people start holding you accountable for answering your email 24/7, you lose.

User avatar
hokie
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:32 am

Re: Is it Important to Have a Smartphone in Law School?

Postby hokie » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:27 pm

Attorney wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:Once people start holding you accountable for answering your email 24/7, you lose.


+1. My boss will email me and if I don't respond within 30 minutes, he calls me and says wtf?? Seriously, it gets annoying.

Having said that, I will have my crackberry at law school but not for law school 8)




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baller31, deadthrone7, wg6524 and 13 guests