Studying Abroad as a 3L + post-grad job search Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
dolcevita11

New

Studying Abroad as a 3L + post-grad job search

Post by dolcevita11 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:28 pm

I signed up to study abroad next Fall as a 3L, and I currently do not have a post-graduate job lined up. I'm looking in the public interest sector and I'm currently in good standing @ Cornell Law...

Is this a bad idea though in terms of job hunting? Last Fall, I ponly had 1 interview for an internship that I did not get.

How does the 3L post-grad job search differ from looking for internships like the past 2 years?

fatduck

Gold

Re: Studying Abroad as a 3L + post-grad job search

Post by fatduck » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:29 pm

where are you doing your study abroad? do they have an extradition treaty with the US?

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:58 pm

and they say you have to be smart to go ivy....

dolcevita11

New

Post by dolcevita11 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:17 pm

I think its a legit question.

alumniguy

Bronze

Post by alumniguy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:29 pm

Certainly being out of the country during the fall is disadvantageous in terms of looking for jobs. However, I would venture a guess that you are excited about the studying abroad program and think that it will provide some valuable learning experiences. So, you have to balance the respective pros and cons.

I currently work in biglaw, so while I wasn't actually looking for a job as a 3L, I certainly know the process. Another caveat is that I graduated in 2008, while the market was still on fire.

For PI, I don't think you be impacted that much. Jobs in PI, as far as I know, either hire entry attorneys through a summer associate type program (ala biglaw) or they wait to hire grads in late winter/early spring when they know their hiring needs better. Here, I don't think being abroad for the fall will matter that much. You should definitely remain connected to Cornell's career services office and keep up to date on job openings. You can always submit an application and inform employers that you will be returning in the second semester and/or that you are available for a telephone interview. You should ask your career services office how students have handled this in the past. You certainly are not the first person to study abroad their fall 3L year and not have a job already lined up.

For government work, I cannot speak because I never looked at those jobs and don't have any friends that work in the government. I imagine it would more akin to the PI advice above than biglaw (which being gone in the fall would not be a good idea IMHO).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”