Finals Prep Plan?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
zeth006

Finals Prep Plan?

Postby zeth006 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:00 am

So with the semester winding down to its last few weeks, are any of you planning to have your outlines started/finished by a set date? Maybe start taking PTs?

mythosopher

Re: Finals Prep Plan?

Postby mythosopher » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:15 am

I started two outlines. And by started, I mean I copied the chapter headings from the table of contents in the book. Other than that? Cry profusely.

Actually, this reminds me that I should print out a paper calendar and schedule all my finals prep for the next month. Usually I finish outlining my first final least 3 days before the day of it, but I work backwards so I do my last final's outline first weeks before finals begin. That way I won't burn out by my last final. I take one day to create a spark sheet, one day for at least one practice question, and one day of rest immediately prior to the final to avoid overload and burnout.

But seriously, cry profusely during a mental breakdown might actually be happening.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:35 am

zeth006 wrote:So with the semester winding down to its last few weeks, are any of you planning to have your outlines started/finished by a set date? Maybe start taking PTs?

Outlines (up to where we are in the subject material) are complete, but I'm an outlier among my peers in that I need to get work done far ahead in advance because I generally am not one to enter a frenzy for the final few weeks.

I've looked at the PTs, but too many of them have so many issues that we haven't touched that I'd feel a bit stupid trying to coherently work them out. I know it's late(ish) in the semester, but my civpro class hasn't touched motions for SJ, joinder, or venue, and my professor has tested heavily on all three in the past.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:52 am

I have a little bit done on all my outlines except civ pro. this is basically what the case was last semester around this time so I'm not too worried, although I do have one more class this semester to worry about.

basically I plan on having all my outlines done a few days before finals start, then I can spend the few days before each exam doing problems.

mythosopher

Postby mythosopher » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:15 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
zeth006 wrote:So with the semester winding down to its last few weeks, are any of you planning to have your outlines started/finished by a set date? Maybe start taking PTs?

Outlines (up to where we are in the subject material) are complete, but I'm an outlier among my peers in that I need to get work done far ahead in advance because I generally am not one to enter a frenzy for the final few weeks.

I've looked at the PTs, but too many of them have so many issues that we haven't touched that I'd feel a bit stupid trying to coherently work them out. I know it's late(ish) in the semester, but my civpro class hasn't touched motions for SJ, joinder, or venue, and my professor has tested heavily on all three in the past.

Sooo... Basically your civ pro class has learned jurisdiction and that's it?

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:21 pm

mythosopher wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:

Sooo... Basically your civ pro class has learned jurisdiction and that's it?

Look friend Rule 11 and I are *this* close.

mbusch22

Postby mbusch22 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:22 pm

outlines up to date, EEs read. Start PTs soon. I don't like going into exams stressed so I've been getting a lot of the work done early. I actually studied less during exams week than I did on a normal week last semester. Helped me a lot I think.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:23 pm

Con law outline was pretty much done and up to date.

Civ pro outline was close to being done.

Wanted to finish Civ Pro today, but comp died. Hoping I can get all the info off.

Still have appellate brief left, so time to get crackin.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:27 am

rad law wrote:Con law outline was pretty much done and up to date.

Wanted to finish Civ Pro today, but comp died. Hoping I can get all the info off.

Whoa. Sorry about your comp. Same here. 3/4 outlines are either fully updated or very close. One I got from an upperclassman and needs to be updated with a few new cases and rules added.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:32 pm

mbusch22 wrote:outlines up to date, EEs read. Start PTs soon. I don't like going into exams stressed so I've been getting a lot of the work done early. I actually studied less during exams week than I did on a normal week last semester. Helped me a lot I think.

samesies. PTs next weekend, one for each subject every week. That'll put me around 4-5 for each class by exam time.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:44 pm

zeth006 wrote:
rad law wrote:Con law outline was pretty much done and up to date.

Whoa. Sorry about your comp. Same here. 3/4 outlines are either fully updated or very close. One I got from an upperclassman and needs to be updated with a few new cases and rules added.

Comp is back, thank God. Civ Pro outline is up to date. Time to get cracking on property. Appellate brief hasn't even been assigned yet.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:57 pm

don't have any outlines, won't start till classes are over

I'm looking over exams now to see what I have to focus on, I probably won't even make outlines, I'll probably make mini "attack" outlines for the exams.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:54 am

Doritos wrote:
mbusch22 wrote:outlines up to date, EEs read. Start PTs soon. I don't like going into exams stressed so I've been getting a lot of the work done early. I actually studied less during exams week than I did on a normal week last semester. Helped me a lot I think.

samesies. PTs next weekend, one for each subject every week. That'll put me around 4-5 for each class by exam time.

I could do PTs for 3 of 4 classes; wouldn't even know where to begin with a Conlaw exam...

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:21 am

None of my professors have practice exams and 3/4 are not willing to provide any. Where can I find good practice exams for Con Law, Property and other classes?

Ignore- just realized there was a thread about this

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:53 am

YourCaptain wrote:
Doritos wrote:

I could do PTs for 3 of 4 classes; wouldn't even know where to begin with a Conlaw exam...

Yeah, I am going to raid old exam banks and go through them to see if there are any fact patterns that are relevant to my class. Like all con law profs, mine focuses heavily on one particular topic.

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:58 am

FWIW, I imagine my Con Law final to have at least one question in the form of "State X has passed law Y. Argue for or against the constitutionality of law Y"

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”