con crim pro for bar?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bogart

con crim pro for bar?

Postby bogart » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:21 pm

How important is it to take this course for the bar? My school seperates between crim law and crim pro, and I took crim law. I realize they are different subjects, so will it hurt me on the bar if I don't take it? Reasons against taking the course are that: the profs a dick (personal opinion, but she taught my crim class); class time is inconveniant; and no interest in subject. Thanks for any advice.

Dman

Re: con crim pro for bar?

Postby Dman » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:43 pm

I am now taking crim pro. However, I too was on the fence about its value for both the BAR and relative to my legal field of interest. The class turns out to be extremely interesting and the area of law is very nuanced. I am glad that I do not have to cram 4th , 5th and 6th amendment law in Barbri, because to be honest alot of the concepts have taken a month of solid work to get it into a somewhat intelligible analysis.

On a more practical side, it is very useful in daily life. Police enforcement is all around us, and knowing how the system works sheds light on the society in whcih we live. It also makes for very good conversation with non-law folks since it is something that everyone can relate to.

My last point of advocacy is, it is a decent course to have if you ever considered doing a clerkship, DOJ or Fed enforcement/regulatory stuff. If you can fit it in your schedule, then the material is worth it.

As you also noted, however, the prof is not to your liking. A bad prof can make any good class bad, imo.

helvidius2010

Postby helvidius2010 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:33 am

Take it. It is on the MBE and it is one of the more interesting classes in law school.

bogart

Postby bogart » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:41 pm

my school splits the course into two seperate classes, investigatory and adjudicative. I will not have enough time to take both, is one tested more than the other?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”