therapy?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
northwood

Re: therapy?

Postby northwood » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:31 pm

SMA22 wrote:Also, sounds like the problem isn't your classes or your disinterest in the legal field at all, but perspective in general. Living with your parents and managing the expectations of friends who maybe don't know what you're going through is hard. Definitely try therapy--there's no point in feeling miserable and alone when therapists can be a great resource in helping you adjust and prioritize when it comes to balancing your personal life and your role as a student. Maybe nobody admits it, but I'm sure a lot of your classmates probably feel the same way as you.

this is solid advice- take it and run.

move out of your paretns place

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:50 pm

Wow this thread has gone crazy.

Whether or not people's post on here are PC isn't what is bothering me...it is some peoples rude, cynical and just plain dumb responses to the OP.

Look at Ron Artest if that man can benefit from therapy then anyone can...I am 0L but I've heard 1L can be a uniquely difficult period. Of course, its probably easier for some then others but none of us know the OP's exact circumstances so you can't know how you'd handle their situation.

I feel sad for the people on here whose approach to life is that the solution to every challenge is to "sack up" and are willing to spout that from behind an anonymous internet post at others who are struggling...

OP do what you have to do to get through this and good luck

mythosopher

Postby mythosopher » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:53 pm

Yes, go. Don't be scared, they are very nice and sensitive to many kinds of issues. Don't feel bad about it either, that will only make you feel worse. Besides, it's not unusual that people become overwhelmed in law school. Anxiety and depression rates are comparatively high among law students, particularly those who are on scholarship and have just that much extra pressure to get good grades. As someone has already mentioned, the legal professional field also has a comparatively high rate of depression and substance abuse. Whoever said "Haven't you ever been in the real world?" clearly has never been there. (For the record, I worked full time, finished my senior year of high school in the top 10% of my class, and lived in my own apartment with my own bills, and all that crap was a blast compared to law school.) Law school is a mindfuck unlike the real world. And the legal profession is a whole 'nother mindfuck on top of that.

So don't be afraid or feel stigmatized. Go see a counselor, even if it's just to unload all your worries and vent all your frustrations onto someone. You'd be surprised what one session can do.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:09 am

mythosopher wrote:Whoever said "Haven't you ever been in the real world?" clearly has never been there. (For the record, I worked full time, finished my senior year of high school in the top 10% of my class, and lived in my own apartment with my own bills, and all that crap was a blast compared to law school.) Law school is a mindfuck unlike the real world. And the legal profession is a whole 'nother mindfuck on top of that.

Uh, that would be me. And since I was out of college, working and paying a mortgage, etc., for several years before law school, I would say that yes, I have been there. And law school is much, much easier than a real job.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:12 am

FalafelWaffle wrote:
kalvano wrote:Um, grow a pair?

Law school really isn't that hard. Have you never set foot in the real world?

No need to be a dick to someone who's obviously feeling shitty. Also, easy on the gendered language asshole.

+1

Don't care about the gendered language, but this is not how you speak to someone who is feeling depressed. I understand having no mercy for the competition, but this is prying on the vulnerable.

I have not started law school yet, but I don't imagine myself responding like this. I've been in some pretty shitty situations in my life that hurt my confidence, but also overcoming those and thriving I don't see any situation I can't at least feel I can handle. Law school does not compete with turning potential homelessness into profit. I mean you gotta put your problems into perspective. You're alive. You're living in America. You can achieve anything. You have a roof over your head, no illness, no major financial burden, no persecution. How can you be so upset?

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:15 am

jtemp320 wrote:Wow this thread has gone crazy.

Whether or not people's post on here are PC isn't what is bothering me...it is some peoples rude, cynical and just plain dumb responses to the OP.

Look at Ron Artest if that man can benefit from therapy then anyone can...I am 0L but I've heard 1L can be a uniquely difficult period. Of course, its probably easier for some then others but none of us know the OP's exact circumstances so you can't know how you'd handle their situation.

I feel sad for the people on here whose approach to life is that the solution to every challenge is to "sack up" and are willing to spout that from behind an anonymous internet post at others who are struggling...

OP do what you have to do to get through this and good luck

Good point, but maybe Ron Artest's therapist said, "You could not do dumb shit, and make bank" or "do dumb shit, and wind up in a halfway house."

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:29 pm

Some of the answers in this thread are ridiculous. I worked prior to law school for 2 years at a V5. No, I obviously wasn't an attorney, but I sat beside them all hours of the night on numerous occasions. Actually, I sat by myself doing their work on numerous occasions when they left early to go out to dinner.

Law school is much more difficult to cope with than being an attorney. It's not harder, or more time consuming, but its much more lonely. It's very easy to not feel secure, never feel like you are doing enough, no one understands how you feel, etc. etc. This is a very different mental experience compared to an associate who has to work till 3AM on a closing. They aren't competing with their co-workers for a grade that will effect their entire career. They aren't constantly worried about getting a job ITE. They are working together to get a deal done as quickly and efficiently as possible. They also know their paycheck making bank is coming at the end of the month, and are probably planning their next vacation.

Just because you are stressed and emotional in law school doesn't mean you wont make a good lawyer.

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:30 pm

kalvano wrote:
FalafelWaffle wrote:

No need to be a dick to someone who's obviously feeling shitty. Also, easy on the gendered language asshole.

It's an anonymous internet forum, I have no way of knowing the gender of the user. Even if it is a woman, the sentiment expressed is still the same. I'll use whatever language I please.

aaaaaaand the mods can ban you whenever they please.

Retiarius

Postby Retiarius » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:34 pm

All of my law school related stress is caused, and resolved by, reading TLS Forums.

But I think "talk to someone" is probably the credited response in your situation.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:47 am

koalatriste wrote:
kalvano wrote:
FalafelWaffle wrote:

It's an anonymous internet forum, I have no way of knowing the gender of the user. Even if it is a woman, the sentiment expressed is still the same. I'll use whatever language I please.

aaaaaaand the mods can ban you whenever they please.

Really? Gee, thanks. I had no idea how an internet forum operated. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Tsispilos

Postby Tsispilos » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:51 am

Right--I mean the most helpful comment you can give someone is to insult him when he's down and legitimately he asks for help.

OP--nothing wrong with getting a little extra help from a therapist--maybe also see your profs and ask for study advice, etc.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:02 am

Definitely seek out a therapist just to have someone to talk to and put these issues in perspective. You most certainly aren't the first person nor will you be the last person to be overwhelmed by everything and disappointed with the toll it can take on personal relationships. There is no harm or shame in going to talk to someone about it. As for me, I had my moments when everything seemed to be crashing down on me at once, and I would have a sudden panic attack. My favorite remedy is to do something that makes me laugh or smile. Grabbed my copy of the Naked Gun and laughed my ass off for an hour, and my head was totally clear.

incase2011

Postby incase2011 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:09 am

To throw in an unconsidered notion, the ability to deal with stress isn't a static character trait. It seems like too many people here have incorrectly made the assumption that "if he can't do it now, he's never gonna make it." It's just not true, think about it. The human body/mind adapts. Consider military training - you think troops go into Basic with the same ability to deal with sh** that they come out with?

To OP, when you get really stressed, your worldview starts to lose focus. Your sense of self-efficacy begins to waiver. Trust that with rest, and with some help managing your stress, you'll get back on track. :]

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:16 am

This thread epitomizes why lots of people don't like a lot of law students and lawyers.

OP I hope things get better for you. Law school messes with a lot of people and you're certainly not the only one struggling with things like this. Maybe try and get outside the school and reconnect with some friends not in law school. Remembering there is a world outside might help you.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”