therapy? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
slightlyneurotic

New

therapy?

Post by slightlyneurotic » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:58 pm

Do any of you feel like you need therapy?

I'm a current 1L who is living at home with my parents (stupid, I know).

I just feel like I've lost my grounding. Law school is so overwhelming and it's just taking a toll on my relationships with friends and family.

I'm going to finish out the year, but I must say, I'm surprised that no one else in my class has dropped out or anything. I've always been a very secure, confident person throughout high school and college, but my life has just lost balance recently. I'm going to a tier 3 on scholarship (although I was accepted at a t-30 as well as some t-50s).

Anyway, I'm just wondering if there is anyone else out there that just feels like this whole thing is a little crazy. I'm thinking of going to my school's counselor, but I've never been to one before and I'm scared, haha.

kalvano

Diamond

Re: therapy?

Post by kalvano » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:30 pm

Um, grow a pair?

Law school really isn't that hard. Have you never set foot in the real world?

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:36 pm

slightlyneurotic wrote:Do any of you feel like you need therapy?

I just feel like I've lost my grounding. Law school is so overwhelming and it's just taking a toll on my relationships with friends and family.
Sounds like therapy may be helpful. 1L is definitely stressful, and unfortunately stress can bring out physical or mental concerns. Most law schools offer counseling services, so take advantage.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of rude replies (ex: reply above), but do what you need to do. For many people law school is the highest level of stress they've felt, so you need to cope accordingly.

FalafelWaffle

Bronze

Post by FalafelWaffle » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:37 pm

kalvano wrote:Um, grow a pair?

No need to be a dick to someone who's obviously feeling shitty. Also, easy on the gendered language asshole.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:38 pm

Not to be a dick, but how are you gonna handle being a lawyer?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:38 pm

Not being an asshole isn't that hard. Have you never set foot in the real world? I know this is the internet, but this is this student's very first post on TLS, and they're just looking for a little guidance. The legal profession is perennially ranked among the professions with the highest level of depression and substance abuse issues; it's not like the OP is the only one out there that is feeling a little overwhelmed.

FalafelWaffle

Bronze

Post by FalafelWaffle » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:38 pm

slightlyneurotic wrote:Do any of you feel like you need therapy?

I'm going to finish out the year, but I must say, I'm surprised that no one else in my class has dropped out or anything. I've always been a very secure, confident person throughout high school and college, but my life has just lost balance recently. I'm going to a tier 3 on scholarship (although I was accepted at a t-30 as well as some t-50s).

Anyway, I'm just wondering if there is anyone else out there that just feels like this whole thing is a little crazy. I'm thinking of going to my school's counselor, but I've never been to one before and I'm scared, haha.
When in doubt, see a counselor, by the way. Do you have any hobbies? Don't let yourself descend into monomania. Take a Judo class, start a blog, get into birdwatching, etc.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:39 pm

you gotta man up, son.

FalafelWaffle

Bronze

Post by FalafelWaffle » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:40 pm

beachbum wrote:Not to be a dick, but how are you gonna handle being a lawyer?
No, you are being a dick, despite your qualifier. I'm really sick of the faux world-weariness of 22 year old smartasses. This guy/gal is having stress issues. Even if they don't have a mental problem, maybe they just need a little guidance handling stress. It doesn't make someone immature or incapable of being a fully functional adult to recognize a problem and seek help. Fuck you guys, seriously.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FalafelWaffle

Bronze

Post by FalafelWaffle » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:41 pm

dr123 wrote:you gotta man up, son.
What if the OP is a woman? Should she have her vagina surgically removed?

lhlee

Bronze

Post by lhlee » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:42 pm

Therapy might help him calm down and be more confident? OP, I'm sure you'll be fine in the long run. It's probably just the stress and parent nagging.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:48 pm

FalafelWaffle wrote:
No, you are being a dick, despite your qualifier. I'm really sick of the faux world-weariness of 22 year old smartasses. This guy/gal is having stress issues. Even if they don't have a mental problem, maybe they just need a little guidance handling stress. It doesn't make someone immature or incapable of being a fully functional adult to recognize a problem and seek help. Fuck you guys, seriously.
Don't get your panties in a bunch, dude. It's a legit question/concern. If the stress and workload of law school are too much for the OP, then he's going to be miserable as a lawyer- and now (1L) would be a good time to seriously consider/rethink the path he's chosen. Therapy is a good start, but depending on its effectiveness (and his performance in law school, for that matter), now could be a good time to walk with minimal cost.

FalafelWaffle

Bronze

Post by FalafelWaffle » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:51 pm

beachbum wrote:
FalafelWaffle wrote:
Don't get your panties in a bunch, dude. It's a legit question/concern. If the stress and workload of law school are too much for the OP, then he's going to be miserable as a lawyer- and now (1L) would be a good time to seriously consider/rethink the path he's chosen. Therapy is a good start, but depending on its effectiveness (and his performance in law school, for that matter), now could be a good time to walk with minimal cost.
I don't have my panties in a bunch, don't try to emasculate me for making a comment. It's not relevant because one: it's so fucking obvious we don't need a smartass to point it out and second, it's not helpful to the OP.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:56 pm

fuck u all bitches. as ron artest proved (thanking his psychiatrist) theres no more stigma in seeing a shrink.

to the OP: i see my schools counselor on a regular basis and participate in the grad school group sessions. its pretty fucking amazing to have somebody or a group of people ACTUALLY LISTEN instead of just waiting for their turn to talk. especially in our group sessions, u would be surprised at the number of people AND the type of student who goes there. u are definitely not alone. PM if u have any specific questions.

oh, and again, fuck all yall haters.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:56 pm

What were your grades first semest?

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:58 pm

FalafelWaffle wrote:
beachbum wrote:
FalafelWaffle wrote:
I don't have my panties in a bunch, don't try to emasculate me for making a comment. It's not relevant because one: it's so fucking obvious we don't need a smartass to point it out and second, it's not helpful to the OP.
How is it obvious? And how is it not helpful to the OP? Do you know the OP? Have you discussed this issue with him outside of this thread?

Perhaps he had not seriously considered walking away; a lot of law students (and 0Ls, for that matter) get tunnel-vision. So before you make such bold assumptions and, yes, get your panties in a bunch, you should count to 5, take a deep breath, and remember that we do not all share in your infinite wisdom. :)

Bronze

Post by 174 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:59 pm

dood wrote:fuck u all bitches. as ron artest proved (thanking his psychiatrist) theres no more stigma in seeing a shrink.

to the OP: i see my schools counselor on a regular basis and participate in the grad school group sessions. its pretty fucking amazing to have somebody or a group of people ACTUALLY LISTEN instead of just waiting for their turn to talk. especially in our group sessions, u would be surprised at the number of people AND the type of student who goes there. u are definitely not alone. PM if u have any specific questions.

oh, and again, fuck all yall haters.
CR

If it is just the stress, I hear good things about mindfulness.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:03 pm

FalafelWaffle wrote:
What if the OP is a woman? Should she have her vagina surgically removed?
Stop your bitching

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:05 pm

not to be a dick, but i guess ron artest shoulda just quit while he was ahead too. no, instead he recognized a weakness within himself and took the appropriate steps to remedy it. im pretty sure thats the correct way to "handle" some shit, versus just quiting.

no offense for real, im just saying ur logic is not on point bro.

fltanglab

Silver

Post by fltanglab » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:11 pm

There's nothing wrong with finding the help you need. However, living at home adds a whole lot of unnecessary stress. Maybe try moving out? Law school is going to take a toll on your relationships and maybe your parents won't understand that completely.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:17 pm

dood wrote:
not to be a dick, but i guess ron artest shoulda just quit while he was ahead too. no, instead he recognized a weakness within himself and took the appropriate steps to remedy it. im pretty sure thats the correct way to "handle" some shit, versus just quiting.

no offense for real, im just saying ur logic is not on point bro.
I don't think OP should immediately throw in the towel. As I said earlier, therapy is a good start. He's going to finish the year so, depending on his stress/outlook and law school performance, he could have a lot to consider before he invests in a second year of school.

I probably should have expanded in my original post, but I think the OP should talk to as many lawyers as possible and honestly assess whether he's entering the right profession. Not everyone is cut out to be a lawyer (see: high rates of depression/alcoholism), and I think OP needs to seriously consider the consequences (and benefits) of the work he's going to be doing.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:23 pm

Go talk to a school counselor. Nothing wrong with it.

Also, 1L is a mindfuck that is totally different from working. I don't think being stressed by certain aspects of 1L means OP won't be a good attorney or won't enjoy working (unless what is stressing OP is the workload and not the competition factors).

rose711

Bronze

Post by rose711 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:25 pm

Yes. Go to a therapist and figure this stuff out. You will have a richer and happier life for it. How you are feeling now has no bearing on your ability to practice law.

SMA22

Bronze

Post by SMA22 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:30 pm

Also, sounds like the problem isn't your classes or your disinterest in the legal field at all, but perspective in general. Living with your parents and managing the expectations of friends who maybe don't know what you're going through is hard. Definitely try therapy--there's no point in feeling miserable and alone when therapists can be a great resource in helping you adjust and prioritize when it comes to balancing your personal life and your role as a student. Maybe nobody admits it, but I'm sure a lot of your classmates probably feel the same way as you.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:30 pm

FalafelWaffle wrote:

No need to be a dick to someone who's obviously feeling shitty. Also, easy on the gendered language asshole.
It's an anonymous internet forum, I have no way of knowing the gender of the user. Even if it is a woman, the sentiment expressed is still the same. I'll use whatever language I please.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”