Jxd Question re: Alien Tort Statute and Foreign Plaintiffs Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
General Tso

Gold

Jxd Question re: Alien Tort Statute and Foreign Plaintiffs

Post by General Tso » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:21 pm

is the Alien Tort Statute the only way a foreign plaintiff can bring a tort action against an American corporation in federal court? Say for instance, the CEO of Chevron runs over a Saudi child in Saudi Arabia and then either (a) flees to the U.S. or (b) the Saudi courts refuse to give the child's family a fair trial. Could the child's family sue in tort in American courts?

(lame excuse, but I haven't taken Civpro II yet)

vamedic03

Gold

Re: Jxd Question re: Alien Tort Statute and Foreign Plaintiffs

Post by vamedic03 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:56 am

General Tso wrote:is the Alien Tort Statute the only way a foreign plaintiff can bring a tort action against an American corporation in federal court? Say for instance, the CEO of Chevron runs over a Saudi child in Saudi Arabia and then either (a) flees to the U.S. or (b) the Saudi courts refuse to give the child's family a fair trial. Could the child's family sue in tort in American courts?

(lame excuse, but I haven't taken Civpro II yet)
Ignoring your hypothetical and focusing on the jurisdiction question only. Short answer no. Slightly longer answer, foreign plaintiff versus US corp = alien versus citizen of a state = diversity jurisdiction under 28 USC 1332. I'm avoiding your hypo because this raises the question of whether or not there is a 12b6 issue of a failure to state a claim. However, a failure to state a claim would result in a dismissal on the merits rather than for want of jurisdiction.*

*- disclaimer, this was written while sleep deprived.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:35 am

what would be the reason for a 12b6 dismissal?

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:03 am

General Tso wrote:what would be the reason for a 12b6 dismissal?
Basically, in your hypo, you actually had two questions, a jurisdictional question and a substantive question.

So, as to the question of whether a federal court would have the power to hear a complaint between an alien and a US corporation - yes, because of diversity jurisdiction.

As to the second question of whether there would be a substantive claim between an alien and a US corporation, then the answer is I don't know. But, if there is not a substantive claim, then likely the US corporation would file a 12b6 motion for failure to state a claim. The court would then dismiss the case on its merits rather than for want of jurisdiction.

My over all point - jurisdictionally, there wouldn't be an issue (the answer to your first question). Substantively, there could be an issue but it is way outside my expertise.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:48 pm

ah okay gotcha...thanks a lot for your help

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”