Applying for an LLM in Germany or Nothern Europe Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
unviersltravlr

New

Applying for an LLM in Germany or Nothern Europe

Post by unviersltravlr » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:21 pm

I am entering law school next year. While I take part in the waiting game, I am looking into what path I want my career to take. I am near fluent in German (I plan to take the DaF while in law school), so I am looking into LLM programs in Germany and Sweden (learning Swedish) in either European Business law or specifically German Law.

Should I be concerned about where I get my JD, or will foreign institutions only be concerned with my GPA?

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Re: Applying for an LLM in Germany or Nothern Europe

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:42 pm

i'd be willing to bet money that where you go to school matters a great deal, though that's just a guess.

is your username an Air song reference? If so, props to you

I mean, I think you put some consonants/vowels in the wrong places but it's allgood

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:46 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:i'd be willing to bet money that where you go to school matters a great deal, though that's just a guess.

I mean, I think you put some consonants/vowels in the wrong places but it's allgood
Lulz

Gefuehlsecht

Bronze

Post by Gefuehlsecht » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:06 pm

It doesn't matter to the Germans where you got your JD. It will matter when you come back to the States. Be sure to know German damn well, there will be oral exams paired with your thesis. It's also very likely you'll take classes with the other German students. Depending on what you want to do, I'd look at Muenster, Freiburg and Heidelberg.

unviersltravlr

New

Post by unviersltravlr » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:00 am

Gefuehlsecht wrote:It doesn't matter to the Germans where you got your JD. It will matter when you come back to the States. Be sure to know German damn well, there will be oral exams paired with your thesis. It's also very likely you'll take classes with the other German students. Depending on what you want to do, I'd look at Muenster, Freiburg and Heidelberg.
I survived an entire semester of intense analysis of Heinrich Heine, which also had an oral final. And I pulled off a B despite missing over 6 classes that semester.

Müenster would be great. I love the "Fahrrad Autobahn" there. Thanks for the tips.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

unviersltravlr

New

Post by unviersltravlr » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:46 pm

Yes it is. The username stems from a time when usernames were limited in characters. Then I switched the i and the v because "vier" is four in german, and my birthday day.

BeautifulSW

Silver

Post by BeautifulSW » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:57 pm

I had a former summer clerk recently do this. He finished his J.D. from a decent T2 school, inluding a semester abroad in Latin America, then got a Fulbright and did an LL.M. in Southern Europe. Came back and got a VERY good position inside the Beltway. Language skills were crucial, he says. Personally, I'm envious as hell because he's on his way to an amazing life. But he worked like a rented donkey for several years with no certainty of ultimate success. He's earned his rewards.

grobbelski

Bronze

Post by grobbelski » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:01 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:I had a former summer clerk recently do this. He finished his J.D. from a decent T2 school, inluding a semester abroad in Latin America, then got a Fulbright and did an LL.M. in Southern Europe. Came back and got a VERY good position inside the Beltway. Language skills were crucial, he says. Personally, I'm envious as hell because he's on his way to an amazing life. But he worked like a rented donkey for several years with no certainty of ultimate success. He's earned his rewards.

What does it take to get a Fulbright? A lot of prior experience with the country being applied to?

Gefuehlsecht

Bronze

Post by Gefuehlsecht » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:14 pm

unviersltravlr wrote:
I survived an entire semester of intense analysis of Heinrich Heine, which also had an oral final. And I pulled off a B despite missing over 6 classes that semester.

Müenster would be great. I love the "Fahrrad Autobahn" there. Thanks for the tips.
The underground bicycle parking garage near the train station is even more nuts. Meanwhile, if you think you can hold your own reading Staatsrecht and defending your thesis you're in for a good time. Don't underestimate the language requirements though. If you need more info or help, especially with selecting a German lawschool, send me a PM.

unviersltravlr

New

Post by unviersltravlr » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:49 am

Gefuehlsecht wrote:
unviersltravlr wrote:

The underground bicycle parking garage near the train station is even more nuts. Meanwhile, if you think you can hold your own reading Staatsrecht and defending your thesis you're in for a good time. Don't underestimate the language requirements though. If you need more info or help, especially with selecting a German lawschool, send me a PM.
I studied in Bonn and although I had to push through a pack of chain-smoking law students everyday I wouldn't mind returning, just to live near the Rhein again.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”