Mac Programs for Law School

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
lawyerwannabe

Mac Programs for Law School

Postby lawyerwannabe » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:26 pm

I am a new owner of a MBP that I will be using for law school this upcoming Fall.

I have already viewed the threads concerning OneNote and Circus Ponies (I may download the Crossover app to run OneNote because people seem to think that OneNote is superior).

Other than a note taking program, are there any other programs for a Mac that make law school more convenient? Any other programs that are crucial?

Thanks.

orm518

Re: Mac Programs for Law School

Postby orm518 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:27 pm

1L friend swears by Omni Outline

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:32 pm

Omni Outline over CP or OneNote?

There is actually a fairly detailed thread debating these three products. The consensus seemed to be that if you could get OneNote to run that it was the best.

Also, it was said that OO was good but possibly too involved and complicated which lead most posters to lean towards CP.

Beyond other products that I mentioned above, a debate about which of these three is best is also welcomed. It will help supplement any research I do on the internet in making a final decision.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:35 pm

Is there a blacks law app?

wolverine2014

Postby wolverine2014 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:39 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:Omni Outline over CP or OneNote?

There is actually a fairly detailed thread debating these three products. The consensus seemed to be that if you could get OneNote to run that it was the best.

Also, it was said that OO was good but possibly too involved and complicated which lead most posters to lean towards CP.

Beyond other products that I mentioned above, a debate about which of these three is best is also welcomed. It will help supplement any research I do on the internet in making a final decision.

+1

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:56 pm

Adium. It'll make your in-class IMing much easier

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:15 pm

Off-topic but appreciated. Definitely going to need to do some in-class IMing. :)

mac.empress

Postby mac.empress » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:33 am

Word in Notebook mode is enough. And it's awesome. If not, check out Circus Ponies Notebook. Anything else is too much money to spend on school.

angiej

Postby angiej » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:24 pm

mac.empress wrote:Word in Notebook mode is enough. And it's awesome. If not, check out Circus Ponies Notebook. Anything else is too much money to spend on school.

Im a new Mac (MPB) user myself and was very pleasantly surprised to find that Word in Notebook mode (for Word 2011 for Mac) has many of the identical features that I love in OneNote, including the recording/audio linking with typed text. But I haven't played with it enough to know whether I can make hierarchical folders to section-out notes from briefs, etc. within folders. Or if you lose any formatting when switching/moving away from notebook mode.

angiej

Postby angiej » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:25 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:I am a new owner of a MBP that I will be using for law school this upcoming Fall.

I have already viewed the threads concerning OneNote and Circus Ponies (I may download the Crossover app to run OneNote because people seem to think that OneNote is superior).

Other than a note taking program, are there any other programs for a Mac that make law school more convenient? Any other programs that are crucial?

Thanks.

What's the crossover app? Or are you referring to running Bootcamp with windows and office for windows?

existenz

Postby existenz » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:24 pm

I just use Word in Print Layout and use the Formatting Palette to create outline-style headings. Works great for me.

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:17 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:Other than a note taking program, are there any other programs for a Mac that make law school more convenient? Any other programs that are crucial?

Thanks.

Windows 7

blurped

Postby blurped » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:34 am

Caffeine is a free app I use daily. It allows u to hit a small icon to keep your screen on during class so that it doesnt dim.

Cloud app is free and similiar to dropbox.

angiej

Postby angiej » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:05 pm

holdencaulfield wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:Other than a note taking program, are there any other programs for a Mac that make law school more convenient? Any other programs that are crucial?

Thanks.

Windows 7

To run office? Or . . .?

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:06 pm

Considering using a mac since that's what I'm most comfortable with and my school will support it, but I'm certainly open to whatever is the best technology for me. What does OneNote do that makes it so much better than the alternatives? Is it like Photoshop/GIMP in that it's just clearly the best in most ways, or is it more like Aperture/Lightroom where it comes down to personal preference and what you're used to?

Gotta go dig up the other threads, I guess.

blurped

Postby blurped » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:40 am

OneNote has a wealth of users that are devoted followers. It is a great program and seemingly lacks a mac alternative at first glance. Enter stage right...circus ponies.

I've used both programs on my mbp and teeter-tottered back and forth a while, before becoming proficient with circus ponies. I was able to install OneNote using Parallels, which is available for a 30-day trial online. The install of Windows 7 can be done through a number of ways, but I found bootcamp to be highly more stable than parallells since I have yet to experience a crash in Bootcamp. I also seemed to have many force-closes using parallels, which was very annoying when I was actively working on a OneNote document. Although a friend of mine with an older macbook didn't experience any difficulty, we both agree that Circus Ponies is a great alternative to the 'one-note-wonder' :P

CP has a very customizable user-interface, that can be tweaked to lack all the surrounding clutter that onenote has. I like that I'm able to open one document with multiple windows (outline, notes, case briefs) automatically. This is a time-saver if you are crunched getting to class on time. The ability to have multiple windows with different documents open, that can all be linked together (EX: case brief link in outline, to full case brief) is an advantage in class, & for purposes of managing the extraordinary amount of information that we encounter. Furthermore, it is very easy to export CP documents to word. I think the program lacks some degree of intuitiveness regarding ease-of-use. However, once you adapt to it, the customizability aspect is a big bonus.

Notebook view in word was ok, but was limited in the number of 'layers' you could add to the notebook. It is also a little bit slower to load, and a lot less customizable than CP.

The foundation of the matter is that CP is mac-friendly, and can be run without the hassle of installing any cross-platform software. Once you get the hang of it, all the hoo-ha about OneNote will pass.

blurped

Postby blurped » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:54 am

Here is a screenshot of a Circus Ponies note-taking page. Outline view and Cornell Note-taking views are also available if preferred.

akili

Postby akili » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:55 am

This thread is relevant to my interests.

legal_eagle

Postby legal_eagle » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:58 am

tagged because im about to buy a MBP at back to school

WVUCelticFan

Postby WVUCelticFan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:04 am

tag

angiej

Postby angiej » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:19 am

Has anyone worked with Word for Mac 2011 in Notebook mode enough to know if it is essentially the same as OneNote? I have had some issues with formatting when I create something in Notebook mode and then switch to other viewing modes in Word (within the same document). Thoughts on whether this would be sufficient for law school?

Dire Straits

Postby Dire Straits » Sun May 22, 2011 3:15 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:I am a new owner of a MBP that I will be using for law school this upcoming Fall.

Thanks.

This may not be possible with OneNote 2010. (http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibilit ... enote+2010).

Curry

Postby Curry » Sun May 22, 2011 3:25 pm

To Clarify, Circus ponies is not "free" right?

angiej

Postby angiej » Sun May 22, 2011 3:49 pm

Curry wrote:To Clarify, Circus ponies is not "free" right?

You can try it free for 30 days and then purchase a product ID at a discout for being a student, which would cost $30. I've been trying it out on a trial basis by am nearly certain I will use it for ls this fall.

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Mon May 23, 2011 7:24 pm

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”