Computers for Law School 2011

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby zeth006 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:57 pm

fatduck wrote:
smokyroom26 wrote:Man oh man, do I love me some Expose/Spaces. Baller when you have like 32486593457 docs & programs open at one time

really? i think this is the worst use case for expose. i do use multiple desktop spaces in windows, but i think the taskbar really shines when you have a large number of programs open.


Expose is really useful if you're on a notebook and prefer to use a touchpad instead of a mouse to switch through 3 or more windows. I just installed Switcher (Expose clone) for my Win7 notebook and am enjoying it. I've configured it so left alt+space bar brings up all the windows so you can choose one to switch to for typing stuff. Really helps make up for the fact that notebook screens typically aren't large enough for someone to fit multiple windows onto one screen.

But if you're just flipping through two windows, alt+tab will fulfill most of your needs.


Just my $0.02.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:04 pm

fatduck wrote:
smokyroom26 wrote:Man oh man, do I love me some Expose/Spaces. Baller when you have like 32486593457 docs & programs open at one time

really? i think this is the worst use case for expose. i do use multiple desktop spaces in windows, but i think the taskbar really shines when you have a large number of programs open.


This is nothing that hasn't been available on a linux box since 2002 and earlier. lol...

But yes, different workspaces are nice if you have classes and want to keep your desktop relevant. Otherwise, it's crap for students.

CBaker
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 3:57 am

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby CBaker » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:04 am

Just ordered a lenovo X220 Tablet. I am worried about the 12.5" screen, not sure it's going to be enough. What do you guys think? Too small to really do research and stuff on?

User avatar
reepS
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 7:33 am

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby reepS » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:13 am

CBaker wrote:Just ordered a lenovo X220 Tablet. I am worried about the 12.5" screen, not sure it's going to be enough. What do you guys think? Too small to really do research and stuff on?



i have searched the forums thoroughly on incoming OL laptop info, and have no clue why you bought a tablet. From my best guess you are spamming or a moron?

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:21 am

reepS wrote:
CBaker wrote:Just ordered a lenovo X220 Tablet. I am worried about the 12.5" screen, not sure it's going to be enough. What do you guys think? Too small to really do research and stuff on?



i have searched the forums thoroughly on incoming OL laptop info, and have no clue why you bought a tablet. From my best guess you are spamming or a moron?


Way to be friendly, reepS. So nice that none of your 7 posts have been less than brilliant, either. Perhaps OP found this advice after purchasing. Or not. Regardless, you don't have to be a jerk about it.

Also, it's 0L (zero) to correspond with the 1L, 2L, 3L used in law school.

CBaker
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 3:57 am

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby CBaker » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:39 am

reepS wrote:
CBaker wrote:Just ordered a lenovo X220 Tablet. I am worried about the 12.5" screen, not sure it's going to be enough. What do you guys think? Too small to really do research and stuff on?



i have searched the forums thoroughly on incoming OL laptop info, and have no clue why you bought a tablet. From my best guess you are spamming or a moron?


No need to be a jerk -- and I am neither of what you say. To answer your question, I really liked the implementation and use of OneNote here:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=127496&hilit=Onenote

This specific PC has the multitouch pad, which I really liked, which is plus imo since I'm not to fond of the small touchpads included on the majority of current laptops. I do really like the touchpad on the MBP -- this is another factor that led me to the x220. Actually writing notes, instead of typing them, seems to help me remember material better. The downside is I hate using paper (and always throw away the notebooks). This is why the usage of Onenote in the above post really impressed me. In fact, I never used one note till I read that thread. Since then, I have started finding ways to use it within my non-profit. Linking to all the relevant cases and information in there has been a huge time saver.

I've been married for almost six years. My wife agreed to work while I go to school, however, she basically informed me that much of my time 'researching' will have to be done at home instead of in a library. At home I will have access to dual screen 24" monitors etc. that will certainly make it easier to do the work (so far as I am not distracted). There are a few responses to tablet in this thread. However, many of them in response to tablets more like the Ipad. I guess I could better direct the question to the only thing pressing me right now. How important do you think it is to view documents side-by-side when conducting researching and typing in class, and if you could not do this, would this break the deal on your laptop purchase?

Additionally, I have plenty of other uses for this laptop. I still have a non-profit for civil rights to manage and a second job as a DUI investigator where the drawing capabilities would be awesome for documenting scenes.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby kalvano » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:09 am

I would never, in any way, shape, or form, recommend using a tablet as your law school computer. At all. Ever.

CBaker
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 3:57 am

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby CBaker » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:14 am

kalvano wrote:I would never, in any way, shape, or form, recommend using a tablet as your law school computer. At all. Ever.


Just to make sure, since the line is kind of blurry these days, you are even saying a tablet PC (Full keyboard etc), and not just the tablets such as Xoom, Ipad2 and so forth?

Like I said, I am on the line -- I'm really impressed with the use of OneNote and tablet from the above post. I spoke with lots of my engineering friends, and they said go for a multitouch pc, but I understand engineering and law school are not equal in computer use. I work with nothing but nuclear / mechanical engineers, and I think talking to a majority of them might have led me down the wrong path for a law school computer. Thanks for your response Kalvano :D

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7235
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby beach_terror » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:19 am

CBaker wrote:
kalvano wrote:I would never, in any way, shape, or form, recommend using a tablet as your law school computer. At all. Ever.


Just to make sure, since the line is kind of blurry these days, you are even saying a tablet PC (Full keyboard etc), and not just the tablets such as Xoom, Ipad2 and so forth?

Like I said, I am on the line -- I'm really impressed with the use of OneNote and tablet from the above post. I spoke with lots of my engineering friends, and they said go for a multitouch pc, but I understand engineering and law school are not equal in computer use. I work with nothing but nuclear / mechanical engineers, and I think talking to a majority of them might have led me down the wrong path for a law school computer. Thanks for your response Kalvano :D

As long as you can type with a word document open, the computer is fine. If it has touch screen capabilities, then yeah it's useful for one armed browsing while watching porn, but it won't have any use in law school.

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby albanach » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:22 am

CBaker wrote:
kalvano wrote:Just to make sure, since the line is kind of blurry these days, you are even saying a tablet PC (Full keyboard etc), and not just the tablets such as Xoom, Ipad2 and so forth?


I think some folk hit reply first, prior to engaging their brain or consulting The Google.

Assuming you mean this or similar: --LinkRemoved-- then clearly it should work - it's a laptop when it wants to be, but the screen swivels to turn the device into a somewhat large and heavy tablet.

Plenty of others seem to be opting for the 12.5" screen size, so I think it will be fine, especially if you have larger monitors at home.

Enjoy the new computer!

User avatar
bigjinjapan
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:02 am

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby bigjinjapan » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:24 am

CBaker wrote:
kalvano wrote:I would never, in any way, shape, or form, recommend using a tablet as your law school computer. At all. Ever.


Just to make sure, since the line is kind of blurry these days, you are even saying a tablet PC (Full keyboard etc), and not just the tablets such as Xoom, Ipad2 and so forth?

Like I said, I am on the line -- I'm really impressed with the use of OneNote and tablet from the above post. I spoke with lots of my engineering friends, and they said go for a multitouch pc, but I understand engineering and law school are not equal in computer use. I work with nothing but nuclear / mechanical engineers, and I think talking to a majority of them might have led me down the wrong path for a law school computer. Thanks for your response Kalvano :D


Please ignore the hate; a convertible tablet should be just fine and the X220 is a nice machine. The trouble with slates is the lack of keyboard, which limits your input speed. This is clearly not a problem in your case. Small screen size is more of a personal issue than anything else; I've been using 11" notebooks for years without any problem. Planning on picking up an updated 11" Air when they launch.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby fatduck » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:27 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
fatduck wrote:
smokyroom26 wrote:Man oh man, do I love me some Expose/Spaces. Baller when you have like 32486593457 docs & programs open at one time

really? i think this is the worst use case for expose. i do use multiple desktop spaces in windows, but i think the taskbar really shines when you have a large number of programs open.


This is nothing that hasn't been available on a linux box since 2002 and earlier. lol...

But yes, different workspaces are nice if you have classes and want to keep your desktop relevant. Otherwise, it's crap for students.

preaching to the choir, sir

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:10 pm

fatduck wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
fatduck wrote:
smokyroom26 wrote:Man oh man, do I love me some Expose/Spaces. Baller when you have like 32486593457 docs & programs open at one time

really? i think this is the worst use case for expose. i do use multiple desktop spaces in windows, but i think the taskbar really shines when you have a large number of programs open.


This is nothing that hasn't been available on a linux box since 2002 and earlier. lol...

But yes, different workspaces are nice if you have classes and want to keep your desktop relevant. Otherwise, it's crap for students.

preaching to the choir, sir


I was just trying to preach to the masses as well. :P

User avatar
loblaw
Posts: 220
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby loblaw » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:20 pm

BU recommends Windows XP, but I'd rather have Windows 7, and that's what usually comes with new laptops these days. Can anyone think of a scenario in which having Windows 7 would be a bfd?

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7235
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby beach_terror » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:20 pm

loblaw wrote:BU recommends Windows XP, but I'd rather have Windows 7, and that's what usually comes with new laptops these days. Can anyone think of a scenario in which having Windows 7 would be a bfd?

If they recommend XP, it's because they haven't updated their website since like 2007.

User avatar
zonto
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby zonto » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:23 pm

7 > XP in every possible way.

If you ever run into problems (doubtful), look into Windows XP Mode and getting a copy of 7 Professional for $30 with the student discount.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:25 pm

The only issue is driver incompatibility between XP and Vista/7.

I doubt that, too - as most schools just require an x86/x64(intel/amd) processor.

User avatar
loblaw
Posts: 220
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby loblaw » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:38 pm

The admitted student site says: "We recommend you buy a PC with Windows XP, which is the standard operating system in our labs and makes up over 95 percent of the computers in the School."

But, I think I'm going to be a renegade and get 7. Thanks for the the XP Mode link Zonto!

User avatar
zonto
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby zonto » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:45 pm

Most drivers for legacy devices that were discontinued during XP are already included in Windows 7 as well, so you'll get basic functionality at least if you run an old printer or something like that. You'll be just fine.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby kalvano » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:27 pm

CBaker wrote:
kalvano wrote:I would never, in any way, shape, or form, recommend using a tablet as your law school computer. At all. Ever.


Just to make sure, since the line is kind of blurry these days, you are even saying a tablet PC (Full keyboard etc), and not just the tablets such as Xoom, Ipad2 and so forth?

Like I said, I am on the line -- I'm really impressed with the use of OneNote and tablet from the above post. I spoke with lots of my engineering friends, and they said go for a multitouch pc, but I understand engineering and law school are not equal in computer use. I work with nothing but nuclear / mechanical engineers, and I think talking to a majority of them might have led me down the wrong path for a law school computer. Thanks for your response Kalvano :D



When you say "tablet", I assume you mean iPad, etc. Don't get one of those. If it has a full keyboard, that's fine.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7235
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby beach_terror » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:55 pm

Relevant, for the lulz
--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby typ3 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:57 am

I am having a hard time deciding on a new laptop.

I currently own an Asus i5 360gts 4gb ram... However it's 16inches and I am not enthusiastic about rolling into class with a notebook blazoned with "Republic of Gamers" on it.

I want something that can play D3 and sc2 and I am trying to find something that is smaller and lighter than my current machine.

Looking at a Dell 15z, DV6 Quad, Lenovo W520. I loved my T61p thinkpad I had a few years back. However, the W520 just looks like a monster O.o I would drop on a DV6 as that is the best buy but I hate the DV6 keyboard and the touchpad on them always gets in my way (my gf has a dv6 select that is about 9 months old).

any suggestions or other companies I haven't looked at yet? I don't have the money to drop on a falcon NW. dang.

pre-law
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:54 am

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby pre-law » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:14 am

Go with a Thinkpad over a Macbook Pro. The keyboard is much more comfortable to type on and you pay for a lot less than what you would pay for to get a Macbook Pro. Macbook Pro's biggest advantage is its operating system but that's the last thing you'll be worrying about as you type away during a 4 hour law exam. Just me 2 cents.

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby zeth006 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:17 am

typ3 wrote:I am having a hard time deciding on a new laptop.

I currently own an Asus i5 360gts 4gb ram... However it's 16inches and I am not enthusiastic about rolling into class with a notebook blazoned with "Republic of Gamers" on it.

I want something that can play D3 and sc2 and I am trying to find something that is smaller and lighter than my current machine.

Looking at a Dell 15z, DV6 Quad, Lenovo W520. I loved my T61p thinkpad I had a few years back. However, the W520 just looks like a monster O.o I would drop on a DV6 as that is the best buy but I hate the DV6 keyboard and the touchpad on them always gets in my way (my gf has a dv6 select that is about 9 months old).

any suggestions or other companies I haven't looked at yet? I don't have the money to drop on a falcon NW. dang.


Go to notebookreview forums and post your query in in this thread:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/what-no ... uld-i-buy/

Just make sure to fill out their form. People there are good about responding.

User avatar
bb8900
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 11:33 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby bb8900 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:47 am

Anyone know anything about when the new MacBook Air will finally come out and what might be different?

Also, is that laptop too inconvenient for law school due to the external drive or does it not really matter?

Thanks




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: iatrology and 6 guests