Computers for Law School 2011

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby ResolutePear » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:27 pm

TTH wrote:
iwanta170 wrote:Just ordered my 13" Macbook Pro last night! I ordered it with free standard shipping and it's already supposed to arrive tomorrow. Too bad I have absolutely no experience with mac operating systems


The great thing about Macs is that you don't need to have any experience. Once you figure out the shortcuts, that's basically it.


:| I love unfounded pro-mac stabs.

How is it any different? Let's hear this. What pixie magic stuff is a mac made out of that you don't need experience on the keyboard and it's an automatic full-wpm out of the box?

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10378
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby TTH » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:37 pm

u mad?

I'm just saying the Mac is super easy to use and requirest less knowledge of how the OS works than a PC does.

ColomboHeat
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:14 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby ColomboHeat » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:40 pm

not directed at any one poster in general... but these 'Macs are so easy even I can use them' comments are silly. if you are an educated adult living in the 21st century (posting on a web forum) and don't have experience with popular computer operating systems... well... maybe a Mac is for you LOL

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby Sandro » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:58 pm

I can see if you were living in a cave for the past 20+ years, PCs might be hard to use. But come on, I think I remember navigating DOS when I was in 3rd or 4th grade - Windows isnt rocket science.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby ResolutePear » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:04 pm

TTH wrote:u mad?

I'm just saying the Mac is super easy to use and requirest less knowledge of how the OS works than a PC does.


I just don't see what you're trying to get at.

The fact that a keyboard is tied to an OS makes it magical?

I guess typewritters are way superior because there is no OS to learn. Silly me.

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby albanach » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:21 pm

thepete wrote:what do you mean? I already own a laptop and will be using that until I purchase one on blackfridy, so I will already be used to typing on a keyboard. Or did you mean get used to the thinkpad's keyboard specifically?


Precisely - you're likely to be fine, but if there are any quirks you don't want to be finding them a week before exam time.

Also if the computer turns out to be dead on arrival, has a broken key or several dead pixels on the screen you don't want to be dealing with that stuff when you should be focused on study. You have free time before school starts, take care of the computer stuff now.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby fatduck » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:24 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
TTH wrote:u mad?

I'm just saying the Mac is super easy to use and requirest less knowledge of how the OS works than a PC does.


I just don't see what you're trying to get at.

The fact that a keyboard is tied to an OS makes it magical?

I guess typewritters are way superior because there is no OS to learn. Silly me.

Pear you obviously know nothing about computers. you realize that if i ever need to do something on my Mac, all i have to do is go to the App Store and i will have 0-1 options to choose from, pay for, and download instantly?

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby kazu » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:26 pm

fatduck wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:I just don't see what you're trying to get at.

The fact that a keyboard is tied to an OS makes it magical?

I guess typewritters are way superior because there is no OS to learn. Silly me.

Pear you obviously know nothing about computers. you realize that if i ever need to do something on my Mac, all i have to do is go to the App Store and i will have 0-1 options to choose from, pay for, and download instantly?

I freaking love you both.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby ResolutePear » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:29 pm

fatduck wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
TTH wrote:u mad?

I'm just saying the Mac is super easy to use and requirest less knowledge of how the OS works than a PC does.


I just don't see what you're trying to get at.

The fact that a keyboard is tied to an OS makes it magical?

I guess typewritters are way superior because there is no OS to learn. Silly me.

Pear you obviously know nothing about computers. you realize that if i ever need to do something on my Mac, all i have to do is go to the App Store and i will have 0-1 options to choose from, pay for, and download instantly?


Well, if your appstore is so amazing, I want to see it give you an OPERATING SYSTEM!

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby fatduck » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:32 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
fatduck wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
TTH wrote:u mad?

I'm just saying the Mac is super easy to use and requirest less knowledge of how the OS works than a PC does.


I just don't see what you're trying to get at.

The fact that a keyboard is tied to an OS makes it magical?

I guess typewritters are way superior because there is no OS to learn. Silly me.

Pear you obviously know nothing about computers. you realize that if i ever need to do something on my Mac, all i have to do is go to the App Store and i will have 0-1 options to choose from, pay for, and download instantly?


Well, if your appstore is so amazing, I want to see it give you an OPERATING SYSTEM!

Image

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby ResolutePear » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:34 pm

--ImageRemoved--

ahhhhhhhhh

seaoframen
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:11 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby seaoframen » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:11 pm

HP G62 with i3 processor 550$ from best buy. best deal ever

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby albanach » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:12 pm

seaoframen wrote:HP G62 with i3 processor 550$ from best buy. best deal ever


Sarcasm? I'd imagine you can find a better deal by shopping around.

Best Buy were selling a G62 - Model: G62-355DX - for $399 last November, and others have matched or beaten that price this year. Costco had a G62 for $449 last week.

PleaseHelpThanks
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby PleaseHelpThanks » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:23 pm

Can someone please tell me if this is a good buy? I have basically no clue about computers, but need to buy one for school, and want it to be a good computer for typing papers and going on the web, but that's basically all I require out of it. If this isn't what I should get (must be a PC), please tell me what I should get instead. Thank you so much!

System ID: ZR7YBVP9
Inspiron 14R - N4010
Scratch & Dent - SD
System Price: $429.00

ProcessorProcessor: Intel Core i3-380M (2.53GHz, 4Threads, 3M cache)
Operating SystemGenuine Windows 7 Home Premium
BaseInspiron 14R
Hard Disk Drive500 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
Memory4 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz (2 DIMMs)
Media Bay8X DVD +/- RW Drive
VideoIntel Graphics Media Accelerator HD
System ColorMars Black
Laptop Screen14.0 inch High Definition WLED
Laptop Battery6 Cell Primary Battery, 48W
Network Interface CardIntel Centrino Wireless-N 1000
Web CameraIntegrated 1.3M Pixel Webcam
KeyboardKeyboard
Hardware Upgrade65W AC Adapter
125V Power Cord
Software Upgrade64BIT Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Operating System DVD
Inspiron 14R - N4010
Date & Time: 6/24/2011 12:02:12 AM
SYSTEM COMPONENTS


Inspiron 14R - N4010 Qty 1

Inspiron 14R Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium Unit Price $429.00




Inspiron 14RGCTD5
Keyboard0WCFN
Service Charge Software24MTC
500 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)32KKG
8X DVD +/- RW Drive5Y53P
DataSafe Online Backup Software61YKY
Software72V4G
Shipping Material8PCGV
Intel Centrino Wireless-N 10008YXNV
Dell Support Center 64 Bit 2.099RFP
64BIT Operating SystemCP1VF
Operating System DVDD9KVP
Processor LabelFF04M
Processor: Intel Core i3-380M (2.53GHz, 4Threads, 3M cache)FK66W
4 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz (2 DIMMs)G040H
Wave Systems SoftwareGV0CP
Mars BlackHKXV0
Service SoftwareJ1X7P
Dell Support 2.0 SoftwareJ206C
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Operating System DVDJ6XND
14.0 inch High Definition WLEDJM2T8
Scratch & DentK8035
SoftwareM239M
No Media SelectedMX962
Microsoft Office StarterN96VP
65W AC AdapterP70RG
125V Power CordR609C
6 Cell Primary Battery, 48WTM8N5
DocumentationTR9D6
Integrated 1.3M Pixel WebcamTT3M4
Genuine Windows 7 Home PremiumVR08H
LabelVW15X
LabelW006J
LabelW3HMK
Image Restore SoftwareXM544
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HDYJ1D1
Insp 14R: 3 Yr Limited Hardware Warranty, In-Home Service after Remote Diagnosis

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby albanach » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:39 pm

PleaseHelpThanks wrote:Can someone please tell me if this is a good buy? I have basically no clue about computers, but need to buy one for school, and want it to be a good computer for typing papers and going on the web, but that's basically all I require out of it. If this isn't what I should get (must be a PC), please tell me what I should get instead. Thank you so much!


If you want a cheap laptop, either should be sufficient for your needs.

Inspirons are home computers though. You'll be using this ten hours a day for three years, shipping it to and from school.

You might want to consider something better built (Dell Latitude, IBM Thinkpad etc). and also accidental damage cover. If you can afford to keep $5-600 on hand and replace the laptop if it breaks, you could save on cover and replace it if necessary.

crossingforHYS
Posts: 702
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby crossingforHYS » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:59 pm

do you need osx lion? and how much is it?

Zazelmaf
Posts: 229
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby Zazelmaf » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:27 pm

I'd go for a Mac, I hate windows with a passion (even though used it for 1L). No matter what, it must run World of Warcraft, which any Mac should do, but you have to double check the graphics card when you buy a Windows PC. (I, however, never used a computer during class, only for finals.)

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:03 pm

Zazelmaf wrote:I'd go for a Mac, I hate windows with a passion (even though used it for 1L). No matter what, it must run World of Warcraft, which any Mac should do, but you have to double check the graphics card when you buy a Windows PC. (I, however, never used a computer during class, only for finals.)


You must have not been playing WoW for long enough on a Mac to know how bad Blizzard supports OpenGL.

Besides, WoW is a nonissue as 1L - because you're either putting too much time into it to successfully raid or not enough time to even do the lolquests.

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2817
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby haus » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:34 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:do you need osx lion? and how much is it?


It is unlikely that lion will be a requirement, but it may be something that you may want.

If I recall correctly any new macs purchased between now and the lion launch will receive a free upgrade to lion. Existing systems require snow leopard, but if that is in place the upgrade to lion will be available as a $29 download.

User avatar
zozin
Posts: 3733
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:13 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby zozin » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:07 pm

The plan was to buy a 15" MBP and install Windows 7 on it, I liked the build quality and design. After seeing my sister's Toshiba Portege (R705-P35), I'm not blowing the extra money on the looks of the computer. It's ridiculously light and has very good battery life, plus it's built pretty well too.

I'll probably end up getting the latest Portege before LS, get a 3-year SquareTrade warranty with accidental coverage, and be all set.

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby zeth006 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:31 pm

zozin wrote:The plan was to buy a 15" MBP and install Windows 7 on it, I liked the build quality and design. After seeing my sister's Toshiba Portege (R705-P35), I'm not blowing the extra money on the looks of the computer. It's ridiculously light and has very good battery life, plus it's built pretty well too.

I'll probably end up getting the latest Portege before LS, get a 3-year SquareTrade warranty with accidental coverage, and be all set.


Good choice. You get Toshiba's build quality and lower price along with a cheap warranty from a company with a good track record for doing repairs and issuing refunds where needed.

User avatar
kruiz88
Posts: 194
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:20 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby kruiz88 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:14 am

zozin wrote:The plan was to buy a 15" MBP and install Windows 7 on it, I liked the build quality and design. After seeing my sister's Toshiba Portege (R705-P35), I'm not blowing the extra money on the looks of the computer. It's ridiculously light and has very good battery life, plus it's built pretty well too.

I'll probably end up getting the latest Portege before LS, get a 3-year SquareTrade warranty with accidental coverage, and be all set.

I have been looking at this exact computer. I have decided to pay the extra $50 to upgrade to a i5 processor from the standard i3 (Can be done by buying through Microsoft instead of Best Buy). The only hesitation I have is the reputation of Toshiba computers to quickly decline within a couple of years. I guess a warranty would protect in case.

WayBryson
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:24 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby WayBryson » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:51 am

kruiz88 wrote:
zozin wrote:The plan was to buy a 15" MBP and install Windows 7 on it, I liked the build quality and design. After seeing my sister's Toshiba Portege (R705-P35), I'm not blowing the extra money on the looks of the computer. It's ridiculously light and has very good battery life, plus it's built pretty well too.

I'll probably end up getting the latest Portege before LS, get a 3-year SquareTrade warranty with accidental coverage, and be all set.

I have been looking at this exact computer. I have decided to pay the extra $50 to upgrade to a i5 processor from the standard i3 (Can be done by buying through Microsoft instead of Best Buy). The only hesitation I have is the reputation of Toshiba computers to quickly decline within a couple of years. I guess a warranty would protect in case.


You might want to look at the difference in battery life between the i3 and i5. The i3 is much more battery friendly than the i5 and i7 processors. The laptop I just bought even has a power setting that allows me to cap my i3 at 50% to extend the battery life.

User avatar
smokyroom26
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:56 am

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby smokyroom26 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:00 pm

Man oh man, do I love me some Expose/Spaces. Baller when you have like 32486593457 docs & programs open at one time...especially useful when it's Outlining Time. YMMV

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby fatduck » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:38 pm

smokyroom26 wrote:Man oh man, do I love me some Expose/Spaces. Baller when you have like 32486593457 docs & programs open at one time

really? i think this is the worst use case for expose. i do use multiple desktop spaces in windows, but i think the taskbar really shines when you have a large number of programs open.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: thexfactor and 6 guests