Computers for Law School 2011

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
geoduck
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby geoduck » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:49 pm

I understand the frustration coming from a 17". I certainly would never recommend an 11" for someone's first Mac. There's enough room to work, but not enough to really get nice and comfy the way one needs when adapting to a new OS.

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby thecilent » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:49 pm

True true I feel you

User avatar
coldshoulder
Posts: 963
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:05 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby coldshoulder » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:13 pm

I'm loving my new 13" macbook pro. Perfect size, not too big not too small, and pretty powerful for $1100.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:14 pm

kazu wrote:
thecilent wrote:And the air is just so portable and sexy

*shrug* I'm a PC girl.


I knew there was a solid reason for why I liked you.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:15 pm

coldshoulder wrote:I'm loving my new 13" macbook pro. Perfect size, not too big not too small, and pretty powerful for $1100.


If you went for power, you got ripped off harder somebody who pays full price at Jos A Bank.

User avatar
geoduck
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby geoduck » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:27 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
coldshoulder wrote:I'm loving my new 13" macbook pro. Perfect size, not too big not too small, and pretty powerful for $1100.


If you went for power, you got ripped off harder somebody who pays full price at Jos A Bank.


Surely the 2.3GHz dual core i5 isn't the strongest on the market, but it's no slouch. I certainly wouldn't call it a rip off on that scale.

User avatar
coldshoulder
Posts: 963
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:05 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby coldshoulder » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:06 pm

geoduck wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
coldshoulder wrote:I'm loving my new 13" macbook pro. Perfect size, not too big not too small, and pretty powerful for $1100.


If you went for power, you got ripped off harder somebody who pays full price at Jos A Bank.


Surely the 2.3GHz dual core i5 isn't the strongest on the market, but it's no slouch. I certainly wouldn't call it a rip off on that scale.


Exactly, and for a MAC laptop that's very good power for the price.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:20 pm

geoduck wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
coldshoulder wrote:I'm loving my new 13" macbook pro. Perfect size, not too big not too small, and pretty powerful for $1100.


If you went for power, you got ripped off harder somebody who pays full price at Jos A Bank.


Surely the 2.3GHz dual core i5 isn't the strongest on the market, but it's no slouch. I certainly wouldn't call it a rip off on that scale.


All I'm saying is, an i5 can be had in a PC for much, much less. 1100 bucks is entering i7HT territory IIRC.

If the point of buying a computer was to have processing power, then the rip off *is* on that scale.

You can talk about how pretty and easy it is use, though. I'll agree to that.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7230
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby beach_terror » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:49 pm

ResolutePear wrote:You can talk about how pretty and easy it is use, though. I'll agree to that.

True, using a Windows computer is like fucking threshing your way through a forest.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:54 pm

beach_terror wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:You can talk about how pretty and easy it is use, though. I'll agree to that.

True, using a Windows computer is like fucking threshing your way through a forest.


of chocolate gumdrops and candy canes.

The one thing I hate about using OSX is that SC2 doesn't get confined to the window properly - and many other games have OpenGL issues :|

User avatar
coldshoulder
Posts: 963
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:05 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby coldshoulder » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:57 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
geoduck wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
coldshoulder wrote:I'm loving my new 13" macbook pro. Perfect size, not too big not too small, and pretty powerful for $1100.


If you went for power, you got ripped off harder somebody who pays full price at Jos A Bank.


Surely the 2.3GHz dual core i5 isn't the strongest on the market, but it's no slouch. I certainly wouldn't call it a rip off on that scale.


All I'm saying is, an i5 can be had in a PC for much, much less. 1100 bucks is entering i7HT territory IIRC.

If the point of buying a computer was to have processing power, then the rip off *is* on that scale.

You can talk about how pretty and easy it is use, though. I'll agree to that.


I didn't phrase my love for my Mac correctly - the performance of an i5 is very nice, but not the reason I bought the computer. Were I going straight performance, I'd be doing what my brother is doing and build a desktop from scratch... The only thing I'm truly disappointed in is the lack of a real graphics card (though the Intel HD3000 is actually impressing the shit out of me).

User avatar
ebo
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby ebo » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:58 pm

Alright, everyone forgive me in advance. I know literally nothing about computers.

That being said, I'm looking for something in the 500-700 dollar range for school. I refuse to buy an Apple computer under any circumstances. I don't do any gaming, video editing, or anything like that. I'd be running Microsoft Office, Firefox, and iTunes on this computer and that's about it. Reading through this thread, it seems that the Thinkpad is a pretty popular choice for PCs. That being said, what are your thoughts on this computer?

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/1 ... 99-Laptop/

Random questions:
1. Is this an older model? I couldn't find anything like it on the Lenovo site now, but maybe I missed it
2. is 4GB sufficient as far as RAM goes?
3. What about 500GB for hard drive? That's more than enough, right?
4. One of the "cons" I saw in a review for this laptop was that it didn't have a USB 3.0 input? Will I ever need this? ever?

Sorry to sound like such a moron- I don't know squat about computers

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby albanach » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:14 pm

ebo wrote:Random questions:
1. Is this an older model? I couldn't find anything like it on the Lenovo site now, but maybe I missed it
2. is 4GB sufficient as far as RAM goes?
3. What about 500GB for hard drive? That's more than enough, right?
4. One of the "cons" I saw in a review for this laptop was that it didn't have a USB 3.0 input? Will I ever need this? ever?

Sorry to sound like such a moron- I don't know squat about computers


No need to be sorry.

1. The computer is not old. Anything with a Core i3/5/7 processor is relatively modern.
2. 4GB is a great amount of RAM for your intended purpose.
3. That's a huge amount of hard disk space, unless you plan on filling it with photos and movies.
4. No, you will never need this for your intended use. It's biggest benefit would be if you planned on connecting an external hard disk to offer more storage. You probably won't and even if you did, USB2 would still work ok.

User avatar
geoduck
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby geoduck » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:28 pm

albanach wrote:
No need to be sorry.

1. The computer is not old. Anything with a Core i3/5/7 processor is relatively modern.
2. 4GB is a great amount of RAM for your intended purpose.
3. That's a huge amount of hard disk space, unless you plan on filling it with photos and movies.
4. No, you will never need this for your intended use. It's biggest benefit would be if you planned on connecting an external hard disk to offer more storage. You probably won't and even if you did, USB2 would still work ok.


I'll word this stronger. Screw USB 3. It's marginally faster in actual use to FireWire 800, pales in comparison to Thunderbolt which Intel fully intends to market outside of the Mac, and even sucks in comparison to esata. It's entire plus is that it's the same shape as USB 2. You are fully fine without USB 3.

JJDancer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby JJDancer » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:53 pm

I was going to buy a new Macbook (not pro) for LS but my bf said he could give me his MPB (purchased 2006 I think?) to use. I don't have fancy needs so I doubt power/speed will be an issue for me even though the comp is slightly older. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think I just saved $900!

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby albanach » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:24 pm

JJDancer wrote:I think I just saved $900!


You should be fine. A 2006 computer should certainly still be capable of word processing.

You will, however, probably want to ensure it's running an up to date version of OSX. That might be required for support and for running exam software.

Secondly, the computer is getting old. There's always a risk of hardware failing at this point. I'd make sure you are prepared that at any point, including on an exam day, that it could break. I'm not saying it will happen and I have run many computers older than that.. However, you should make sure you always have the $4-500 readily available that would let you pick up a cheap Windows laptop, or the $1000 you saved if you would really want an Apple. Others have also mentioned keeping an old computer available as a backup for exam day.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7230
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby beach_terror » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:32 pm

albanach wrote:
JJDancer wrote:I think I just saved $900!


You should be fine. A 2006 computer should certainly still be capable of word processing.

You will, however, probably want to ensure it's running an up to date version of OSX. That might be required for support and for running exam software.

Secondly, the computer is getting old. There's always a risk of hardware failing at this point. I'd make sure you are prepared that at any point, including on an exam day, that it could break. I'm not saying it will happen and I have run many computers older than that.. However, you should make sure you always have the $4-500 readily available that would let you pick up a cheap Windows laptop, or the $1000 you saved if you would really want an Apple. Others have also mentioned keeping an old computer available as a backup for exam day.

Having a spare laptop HD laying around is always a good idea. The odds are in favor of the HD failing before something else, sans storing your laptop in a volcano.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby Sandro » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:11 pm

Really like my new Toshiba Portege. and the free XBOX 360 that came with it.

23402385985
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:44 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby 23402385985 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:44 pm

So what is the consensus best monitor for under $400? I was thinking about buying the Matrox DP interface to run two monitors off the Macbook Pro (in that case, what are the two best around $250 or so?) if it would make sense.

It would give a huge workspace for school and I could run two 23 or 24" monitors off of it.

If not, I'll just go with a single 24" 1900x1200.

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby albanach » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:08 pm

beach_terror wrote:Having a spare laptop HD laying around is always a good idea. The odds are in favor of the HD failing before something else, sans storing your laptop in a volcano.


If you are the type who would feel comfortable changing their laptop hard disk, this is very good advice. The disk is by far the most frequent part to fail in a way that stops the laptop working.

Whatever you do, keep good backups. Time machine for the Mac should make that painless.

23402385985
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:44 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby 23402385985 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:29 pm

albanach wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Having a spare laptop HD laying around is always a good idea. The odds are in favor of the HD failing before something else, sans storing your laptop in a volcano.


If you are the type who would feel comfortable changing their laptop hard disk, this is very good advice. The disk is by far the most frequent part to fail in a way that stops the laptop working.

Whatever you do, keep good backups. Time machine for the Mac should make that painless.


The hard disk is about as easy to change as taking your laptop out of the case you keep it in.

Anyone could replace one, I'd think.

thepete
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:12 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby thepete » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:49 pm

So the consensus here seems to be that t410 is the way to go... My next question is, should I wait til Black Friday to buy it or just buy it right now? I already have a functioning laptop and I m not in a hurry to get one. Oh and I will be starting school in August.

Thanks~

User avatar
WhatSarahSaid
Posts: 293
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:01 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby WhatSarahSaid » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:28 pm

I've been skimming through this thread and I'm pretty impressed with the Lenovo laptops, but I'm wondering if someone can explain something to me.

Assuming that the main specs (RAM, processor, screen size, etc) are the same or close, what will be the difference between buying a ThinkPad T420 and some random Toshiba, such as this one? The cheapest T420s I can find run around $650-800 (depending on small modifications, and I like the reviews I'm reading, but I'm trying to justify the price difference to myself.

Thanks!

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby albanach » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:59 pm

joncrooshal wrote:
The hard disk is about as easy to change as taking your laptop out of the case you keep it in.

Anyone could replace one, I'd think.


That depends a lot on the model of computer. Given we were talking about a MacBook Pro, it could be a lot more complicated. On Unibody models, it appears to involve removing a lot of screws, dismantling the case and detaching the keyboard and trackpad. I'd imagine the same might be true of some other thin and light laptops.

Equally, I've seen other laptops where it involves a single screw being removed, pushing a lever and the drive pops out and is ready to be replaced.

User avatar
geoduck
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby geoduck » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:15 pm

albanach wrote:
joncrooshal wrote:
The hard disk is about as easy to change as taking your laptop out of the case you keep it in.

Anyone could replace one, I'd think.


That depends a lot on the model of computer. Given we were talking about a MacBook Pro, it could be a lot more complicated. On Unibody models, it appears to involve removing a lot of screws, dismantling the case and detaching the keyboard and trackpad. I'd imagine the same might be true of some other thin and light laptops.

Equally, I've seen other laptops where it involves a single screw being removed, pushing a lever and the drive pops out and is ready to be replaced.


This is the AlBook body, so the RAM is easily accessible but the harddrive requires you to remove the keyboard. Obviously is voids the warranty, but since that's not an issue you just have to deal with the pain in the ass illuminated keyboard. Last time I opened the case I swear I did everything right.. and I still had a bunch of keys go dark.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests