Computers for Law School 2011

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
geoduck

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby geoduck » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:14 pm

Dany wrote:
kazu wrote:What did you get??

I got the 13" MBP. It is so awesome. I haven't had my own computer in so long, so I'm on cloud 9. :D :D :D

Congrats to both of you! The 11" Air's a little tiny... but you've better horizontal resolution than the 13" (even if it's a touch less vertically)

kazu

Postby kazu » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:19 pm

geoduck wrote:
Dany wrote:

I got the 13" MBP. It is so awesome. I haven't had my own computer in so long, so I'm on cloud 9. :D :D :D

Congrats to both of you! The 11" Air's a little tiny... but you've better horizontal resolution than the 13" (even if it's a touch less vertically)

Hmm I think I might give this to a sibling and buy a PC, this is my first Mac ever and honestly I just feel so much more comfortable on Windows :oops: That along with the small screen size makes it not ideal for LS, at least for me.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:23 pm

kazu wrote:
geoduck wrote:
Dany wrote:

Hmm I think I might give this to a sibling and buy a PC, this is my first Mac ever and honestly I just feel so much more comfortable on Windows :oops: That along with the small screen size makes it not ideal for LS, at least for me.

How long have you had it? If you can't deal with an OS change that's cool, but you should probably give it a week or so just to be sure. Figure out how to use expose well and it'll really help with the space issue.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:30 pm

joncrooshal wrote:
albanach wrote:
risktaker wrote:Bought a 12.5 inch laptop and I cannot see myself getting a freaking desktop to do research. Would it make any sense to have another laptop that is 14 inches next to my 12.5 inch laptop to do homework.

Just buy a separate monitor, keyboard and mouse.

And a dock. That way you just need to plug your computer into the dock and everything is all ready to go.

yea, didn't you say you bought an X220? just leave the dock connected to your keyboard/mouse/monitor. i just happen to have a few desktop pcs lying around so i use them.

kazu

Postby kazu » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:33 pm

geoduck wrote:How long have you had it? If you can't deal with an OS change that's cool, but you should probably give it a week or so just to be sure. Figure out how to use expose well and it'll really help with the space issue.

It's been about 2 weeks now and, well, I think I've adjusted pretty much but I'm just literally more comfortable on a PC, and I really miss Onenote.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:37 pm

expose is cool, but i've used a mac for 3 years now and i still prefer windows. i <3 taskbars.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:40 pm

kazu wrote:
geoduck wrote:
Dany wrote:

Yeah I don't think I could do the 11". This 13" is the smallest screen I've ever had.

As far as the OS, I've always had a PC but I started using my friends' Macs this past year when my own computer died, and it is definitely easy to learn. I still really like Windows, though, so I can totally see wanting to switch! Good luck kazy <3

adonai

Postby adonai » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:42 pm

Anyone have any experience with Acer laptops? Considering the Timeline X series because of the relative value.

kazu

Postby kazu » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:44 pm

Dany wrote:Yeah I don't think I could do the 11". This 13" is the smallest screen I've ever had.

As far as the OS, I've always had a PC but I started using my friends' Macs this past year when my own computer died, and it is definitely easy to learn. I still really like Windows, though, so I can totally see wanting to switch! Good luck kazy <3

Congrats to you tooo!! I'm jealous b/c I have to wait until mid-August to buy a new one...and since I've made up my mind I want it naooooooo

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:59 pm

fatduck wrote:expose is cool, but i've used a mac for 3 years now and i still prefer windows. i <3 taskbars.

Really? I despise taskbars. The Windows 7 one is okay because it's a modified dock. I still use hiding, though.

Postby 23402385985 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:23 pm

Dany wrote:

You mean iCloud 9.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:26 pm

geoduck wrote:
fatduck wrote:expose is cool, but i've used a mac for 3 years now and i still prefer windows. i <3 taskbars.

Really? I despise taskbars. The Windows 7 one is okay because it's a modified dock. I still use hiding, though.

nah i've never hid my taskbar. back in the xp days i used to keep it stacked 3-4 rows tall :P i dunno, i just like the taskbar as a base, and i can add on the osx-ish features i like, like launchy, and customize w/ rainmeter and such. the only think i'm really going to miss is the unix filesystem.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:28 pm

joncrooshal wrote:
Dany wrote:

You mean iCloud 9.

http://instantrimshot.com/

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:23 am

adonai wrote:Anyone have any experience with Acer laptops? Considering the Timeline X series because of the relative value.

I've had a lot of experience with cheap Windows machines, including Acer's. My Acer was okay, but it ran way too hot (like, burn your ass hot) and it pretty much died within two years. I take good care of my computers, at least software wise. The thing about shitty Windows machines is that the hardware goes to shit quickly. The touchpad clickers get depressed, for example. Keys start to die. On my current Toshiba, the enter key and the ctrl key are both pretty taxed, so that they don't work sometimes. I had similar problems with the Acer.

If you just need something that's gonna work through LS, the Acer will be fine though. If I were gonna buy another computer, I'd probably get an Apple and run windows on it. There's just few Windows-based hardware manufacturers that don't make absolute shit. I'd probably get an IBM or whatever brandname they go under now if I were going to get a Windows-paced cpu.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:56 am

I have an Acer netbook, and I'm fairly pleased since I only paid $400 for it three years ago. The trackpad buttons haven't worked in ages, but I use a USB mouse. It does run hot, but it's fine on a desk. If I want to use it on my lap, I have to put it on a tray. The speed is still fairly good, considering.

adonai

Postby adonai » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:23 pm

Bronte wrote:
adonai wrote:Anyone have any experience with Acer laptops? Considering the Timeline X series because of the relative value.

I've had a lot of experience with cheap Windows machines, including Acer's. My Acer was okay, but it ran way too hot (like, burn your ass hot) and it pretty much died within two years. I take good care of my computers, at least software wise. The thing about shitty Windows machines is that the hardware goes to shit quickly. The touchpad clickers get depressed, for example. Keys start to die. On my current Toshiba, the enter key and the ctrl key are both pretty taxed, so that they don't work sometimes. I had similar problems with the Acer.

If you just need something that's gonna work through LS, the Acer will be fine though. If I were gonna buy another computer, I'd probably get an Apple and run windows on it. There's just few Windows-based hardware manufacturers that don't make absolute shit. I'd probably get an IBM or whatever brandname they go under now if I were going to get a Windows-paced cpu.

Eugenie Danglars wrote:I have an Acer netbook, and I'm fairly pleased since I only paid $400 for it three years ago. The trackpad buttons haven't worked in ages, but I use a USB mouse. It does run hot, but it's fine on a desk. If I want to use it on my lap, I have to put it on a tray. The speed is still fairly good, considering.

Thanks guys. I'm tired of being forced to haul around 15-17 in. laptops just cause they're the cheapest to buy. I want to get a 13 in. and Acer is obviously the cheapest in that category. I buy new laptops every few years anyway; they just get too dang slow to run programs and load webpages as everything gets more and more advanced quickly. Can barely run any flash based webpages and watch anything greater than 360p on my current VAIO.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:24 pm

Wait let me get this straight: you bought the air, Kazu, and want to go back to windows? Wtf just play around on the Mac till you get comfortable they are sooo much better

kazu

Postby kazu » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:26 pm

thecilent wrote:Wait let me get this straight: you bought the air, Kazu, and want to go back to windows? Wtf just play around on the Mac till you get comfortable they are sooo much better

Didn't buy it, got it as an unexpected (and extremely generous) present, and well if it were the 13" I might stick with it but the 11" is just so small :S. I mean, I don't have to really decide until August so I'm going to give it a few more weeks, but as of now I'm pretty sure it's going to be replaced.

Plus I prefer windows dammit.

Curry

Postby Curry » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:28 pm

thecilent wrote:Wait let me get this straight: you bought the air, Kazu, and want to go back to windows? Wtf just play around on the Mac till you get comfortable they are sooo much better

There aren't many people around as batshit crazy as Kazu. <3

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:33 pm

not sure if srs

kazu

Postby kazu » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Curry wrote:

There aren't many people around as batshit crazy as Kazu. <3

What can I say, I know what I want :oops:

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:38 pm

Dany wrote:

not sure if srs

Idk why you're unsure. I want the air so badly, just too much money

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:39 pm

That you'd be so shocked she wants to go back to windows or that mac is "sooo much better."

I do think the bigger 13" Airs are really neat, though.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:42 pm

And the air is just so portable and sexy

kazu

Postby kazu » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:45 pm

thecilent wrote:And the air is just so portable and sexy

*shrug* I'm a PC girl. I know my way around one and I know what I can do with it. Plus my old (admittedly ancient) laptop was 17", and even my netbook is 12", so for me a 11" is just too small to work as my main computer.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”