Computers for Law School 2011

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
23402385985
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:44 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby 23402385985 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:14 pm

geoduck wrote:
True, but I doubt that they're anywhere near the price point of the Bose 2.1 setup they sell for PC use. For the price, I'd expect much much crappier performance out of paper, but the Bose delivers on clarity and has a pretty nice punch out of the sub. It isn't an "OMFG rattle the glass in your neighbor's kitchen" type of setup so it often gets dissed.


I'm not dissing Bose here. I'm agreeing that paper cones can sound great. :)

I'm no big Bose fan, but some of their low-mid range home speakers are pretty nice.

User avatar
geoduck
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby geoduck » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:16 pm

joncrooshal wrote:I always thought that any 1080p TV was a relatively good choice for a monitor.


What's going to be better for pixel density and eye fatigue? A 37" 1920X1080 screen or a 27" 2560X1440 IPS screen?

Curry

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby Curry » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:16 pm

fatduck wrote:
risktaker wrote:fatduck, do you think a 12.5 in is too small for law school exams and work? My current laptop is a 14 in. I don't mind small screens as long as they don't get in the way of me being able to type/work efficiently.

i think of all the laptop specs this is the one that really comes down to personal preference. i currently have a 13" macbook, and i have no problem with the size at all. i would check out some videos/pics of the laptops you're looking at (if you can't get your hands on one in person). it's hard to say what would work for you.

edit: however, i believe that every model of thinkpad has a full-sized keyboard, with no tiny escape/enter/shift keys or any of that nonsense.

I on the other hand find my 13 inch screen too small. Its all about personal preference.

I have heard that in law school, having two monitors is a good call so you can research on one and have your document open on the other. More efficient space management. When I do this, I'm going to want the screens to be equitable in size. If my macbook screen is 13 inches and the external screen is 23 inches, it would piss me off.

23402385985
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:44 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby 23402385985 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:17 pm

geoduck wrote:
joncrooshal wrote:I always thought that any 1080p TV was a relatively good choice for a monitor.


What's going to be better for pixel density and eye fatigue? A 37" 1920X1080 screen or a 27" 2560X1440 IPS screen?


True enough.

--ImageRemoved--

Are there any sub $400 2560X1440s out there right now that are worth the cash?

23402385985
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:44 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby 23402385985 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:18 pm

Curry wrote:
fatduck wrote:
risktaker wrote:fatduck, do you think a 12.5 in is too small for law school exams and work? My current laptop is a 14 in. I don't mind small screens as long as they don't get in the way of me being able to type/work efficiently.

i think of all the laptop specs this is the one that really comes down to personal preference. i currently have a 13" macbook, and i have no problem with the size at all. i would check out some videos/pics of the laptops you're looking at (if you can't get your hands on one in person). it's hard to say what would work for you.

edit: however, i believe that every model of thinkpad has a full-sized keyboard, with no tiny escape/enter/shift keys or any of that nonsense.

I on the other hand find my 13 inch screen too small. Its all about personal preference.

I have heard that in law school, having two monitors is a good call so you can research on one and have your document open on the other. More efficient space management. When I do this, I'm going to want the screens to be equitable in size. If my macbook screen is 13 inches and the external screen is 23 inches, it would piss me off.


Have two monitors and keep the MBP closed.

User avatar
geoduck
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby geoduck » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:18 pm

Curry wrote:
fatduck wrote:
risktaker wrote:fatduck, do you think a 12.5 in is too small for law school exams and work? My current laptop is a 14 in. I don't mind small screens as long as they don't get in the way of me being able to type/work efficiently.

i think of all the laptop specs this is the one that really comes down to personal preference. i currently have a 13" macbook, and i have no problem with the size at all. i would check out some videos/pics of the laptops you're looking at (if you can't get your hands on one in person). it's hard to say what would work for you.

edit: however, i believe that every model of thinkpad has a full-sized keyboard, with no tiny escape/enter/shift keys or any of that nonsense.

I on the other hand find my 13 inch screen too small. Its all about personal preference.

I have heard that in law school, having two monitors is a good call so you can research on one and have your document open on the other. More efficient space management. When I do this, I'm going to want the screens to be equitable in size. If my macbook screen is 13 inches and the external screen is 23 inches, it would piss me off.


Done much dual screening? I used to plug my 15" MBP into a 23" ACD all the time and the difference wasn't an issue.

User avatar
geoduck
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby geoduck » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:24 pm

joncrooshal wrote:
geoduck wrote:
joncrooshal wrote:I always thought that any 1080p TV was a relatively good choice for a monitor.


What's going to be better for pixel density and eye fatigue? A 37" 1920X1080 screen or a 27" 2560X1440 IPS screen?


True enough.

--ImageRemoved--

Are there any sub $400 2560X1440s out there right now that are worth the cash?


Mmm I'm not sure. There are lots of 1920X1200 24" panels out there under $400 though and that would definitely be more comfortable than 1920X1080 on a big screen.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby bk1 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:35 pm

joncrooshal wrote:Are there any sub $400 2560X1440s out there right now that are worth the cash?


I don't think any monitors below 30" actually come with 2560x1600, they are all almost exclusively 1920x1200 (at least the 21-23"+ ones). That resolution should be fine for a 20-25" monitor. You don't really start seeing 2560x1600 until you hit the 30"ers (which are fairly rare and exorbitantly expensive).

User avatar
geoduck
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby geoduck » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:42 pm

bk1 wrote:
joncrooshal wrote:Are there any sub $400 2560X1440s out there right now that are worth the cash?


I don't think any monitors below 30" actually come with 2560x1600, they are all almost exclusively 1920x1200 (at least the 21-23"+ ones). That resolution should be fine for a 20-25" monitor. You don't really start seeing 2560x1600 until you hit the 30"ers (which are fairly rare and exorbitantly expensive).



Psst.. over here...

Edit: Granted that $949 is outside of the $400 range, but it's the exact specs I was quoting before. Brilliant screen if you actually need it. Otherwise, 1920X1200 on a 24" looks great. I'm typing on an iMac with that right now and it's plenty of room.
Last edited by geoduck on Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby bk1 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:43 pm

geoduck wrote:
bk1 wrote:
joncrooshal wrote:Are there any sub $400 2560X1440s out there right now that are worth the cash?


I don't think any monitors below 30" actually come with 2560x1600, they are all almost exclusively 1920x1200 (at least the 21-23"+ ones). That resolution should be fine for a 20-25" monitor. You don't really start seeing 2560x1600 until you hit the 30"ers (which are fairly rare and exorbitantly expensive).



Psst.. over here...


lol forgot about Apple's 27". 27" is an even rarer size (at least ime) than 30". Plus, at its price it is basically competing with the 30"ers.

User avatar
geoduck
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby geoduck » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:46 pm

bk1 wrote:
geoduck wrote:
bk1 wrote:
joncrooshal wrote:Are there any sub $400 2560X1440s out there right now that are worth the cash?


I don't think any monitors below 30" actually come with 2560x1600, they are all almost exclusively 1920x1200 (at least the 21-23"+ ones). That resolution should be fine for a 20-25" monitor. You don't really start seeing 2560x1600 until you hit the 30"ers (which are fairly rare and exorbitantly expensive).



Psst.. over here...


lol forgot about Apple's 27". 27" is an even rarer size (at least ime) than 30". Plus, at its price it is basically competing with the 30"ers.


http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... geSize=100

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby bk1 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:52 pm

geoduck wrote:http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007617&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&SrchInDesc=2560&Page=1&PageSize=100


I would find one for 1200 (which I guess may or may not be comparable to 1000 depending on who you're talking to). I think Dell's is about the most respectable 30"er out there and you should be able to find it for 1200 if you're a little patient.

User avatar
iwanta170
Posts: 445
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby iwanta170 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:58 pm

Do a lot of law students consider it effective to use a TV with their laptop at home for dual monitors? Also, how does it workout exactly--notes on one screen and the outline on the other, or something like that? I have a 42" 1080p and a 23" 720p so I might hook up one of those.

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby zeth006 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:36 pm

iwanta170 wrote:Do a lot of law students consider it effective to use a TV with their laptop at home for dual monitors? Also, how does it workout exactly--notes on one screen and the outline on the other, or something like that? I have a 42" 1080p and a 23" 720p so I might hook up one of those.


Pretty much. Much of outlining is about consulting multiple sources. Ideally, you'll have a really wide desk with room for your notebook, your 1-2 monitors, your casebook, and supplement books. Your outlinewill be shown on one monitor and your notebook monitor will show your in-class notes.

I do all my work at the library, so I don't do any of this.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby Dany » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:38 pm

GOT MY COMPUTER. SO EXCITED.

Curry

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby Curry » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:43 pm

geoduck wrote:
Curry wrote:
fatduck wrote:
risktaker wrote:fatduck, do you think a 12.5 in is too small for law school exams and work? My current laptop is a 14 in. I don't mind small screens as long as they don't get in the way of me being able to type/work efficiently.

i think of all the laptop specs this is the one that really comes down to personal preference. i currently have a 13" macbook, and i have no problem with the size at all. i would check out some videos/pics of the laptops you're looking at (if you can't get your hands on one in person). it's hard to say what would work for you.

edit: however, i believe that every model of thinkpad has a full-sized keyboard, with no tiny escape/enter/shift keys or any of that nonsense.

I on the other hand find my 13 inch screen too small. Its all about personal preference.

I have heard that in law school, having two monitors is a good call so you can research on one and have your document open on the other. More efficient space management. When I do this, I'm going to want the screens to be equitable in size. If my macbook screen is 13 inches and the external screen is 23 inches, it would piss me off.


Done much dual screening? I used to plug my 15" MBP into a 23" ACD all the time and the difference wasn't an issue.

I'm on the aformentioned setup right now and it pisses me off :P

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby fatduck » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:48 pm

hm i never plug my laptop into a monitor. at my desktop pc i have two monitors: one 23" @ 1680x1050, one 17" @ 1280x1024. not even the same aspect ratio :D works fine for me.

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby kazu » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:54 pm

Dany wrote:GOT MY COMPUTER. SO EXCITED.

So jealous Dany!! Congrats!!!!

User avatar
risktaker
Posts: 687
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:10 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby risktaker » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:20 pm

Bought a 12.5 inch laptop and I cannot see myself getting a freaking desktop to do research. Would it make any sense to have another laptop that is 14 inches next to my 12.5 inch laptop to do homework.

albanach
Posts: 1011
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby albanach » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:22 pm

risktaker wrote:Bought a 12.5 inch laptop and I cannot see myself getting a freaking desktop to do research. Would it make any sense to have another laptop that is 14 inches next to my 12.5 inch laptop to do homework.


Just buy a separate monitor, keyboard and mouse.

jeff5170
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:31 am

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby jeff5170 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:50 pm

I just received my 12.5" Lenovo X220 last week and am loving it. I was a little skeptical about the smaller screen size, but the screen quality is such that I don't really lose any real estate from my last 14.5" Dell. The keyboard is also full size and very easy to use.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby Dany » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:57 pm

kazu wrote:
Dany wrote:GOT MY COMPUTER. SO EXCITED.

So jealous Dany!! Congrats!!!!

haha didn't you just get a new one, too???

Gosh this is so amazing. Love love love.

23402385985
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:44 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby 23402385985 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:03 pm

albanach wrote:
risktaker wrote:Bought a 12.5 inch laptop and I cannot see myself getting a freaking desktop to do research. Would it make any sense to have another laptop that is 14 inches next to my 12.5 inch laptop to do homework.


Just buy a separate monitor, keyboard and mouse.


And a dock. That way you just need to plug your computer into the dock and everything is all ready to go.

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby kazu » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:06 pm

Dany wrote:
kazu wrote:
Dany wrote:GOT MY COMPUTER. SO EXCITED.

So jealous Dany!! Congrats!!!!

haha didn't you just get a new one, too???

Gosh this is so amazing. Love love love.

Haha I did but it's the 11" Macbook Air, so the screen's a bit small, and not something I would've necessarily picked out for myself lol.

What did you get??

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby Dany » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:09 pm

kazu wrote:What did you get??

I got the 13" MBP. It is so awesome. I haven't had my own computer in so long, so I'm on cloud 9. :D :D :D




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Armylaw101, electriklemon, Google Feedfetcher, Voynich and 7 guests