Computers for Law School 2011

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
trudat15

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby trudat15 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:51 pm

I know ppl mentioned Squaretrade a few pages back - better than applecare?

haus

Postby haus » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:02 pm

trudat15 wrote:I know ppl mentioned Squaretrade a few pages back - better than applecare?

I have never dealt with them, so I have no first hand experience to speak of. I generally find the Better Business Bureau (BBB) to be an organization used to clear up the reputation of fraudulent companies, so seeing their BBB status advertised on the front page seems to be a warning flag to me.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:33 pm

haus wrote:
trudat15 wrote:I know ppl mentioned Squaretrade a few pages back - better than applecare?

I have never dealt with them, so I have no first hand experience to speak of. I generally find the Better Business Bureau (BBB) to be an organization used to clear up the reputation of fraudulent companies, so seeing their BBB status advertised on the front page seems to be a warning flag to me.

They are a legit company.

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:36 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Stoic wrote:This might be a stupid question but what does that trackball in the Lenovo keyboard actually do? It just looks like it will be a nuisance when typing

And can anyone actually way the Asus vs. the Lenovo thinkpad.

I also saw the ideapad today in Best Buy? How does that rate as a laptop? Thanks.

Holy crap, how do you not know what that does (it's called a trackpoint)? Dear lord. FWIW, I don't use trackpads, I only use trackpoints. Trackpads are the fucking worst ever. Nipple navigation ftw. I would never buy a laptop without one.

Also, continued LOL at the people who advocate for SSDs.

what do you mean by advocate? as in necessary for law school? or recommend them as a nice but unnecessary upgrade?

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:40 pm

gothamm wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
Stoic wrote:This might be a stupid question but what does that trackball in the Lenovo keyboard actually do? It just looks like it will be a nuisance when typing

I also saw the ideapad today in Best Buy? How does that rate as a laptop? Thanks.

Holy crap, how do you not know what that does (it's called a trackpoint)? Dear lord. FWIW, I don't use trackpads, I only use trackpoints. Trackpads are the fucking worst ever. Nipple navigation ftw. I would never buy a laptop without one.

what do you mean by advocate? as in necessary for law school? or recommend them as a nice but unnecessary upgrade?

Unless you're gaming, I would recommend against them.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:43 pm

ResolutePear wrote:

Nahhhhh. Let's hear the reasoning.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:45 pm

beach_terror wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

Nah.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:47 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

Nah.

Good talk

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:58 pm

They are expensive and ridiculously overpriced for sure. But so damn fun. Modern dual core processors are fast enough. So is RAM...4gb is the standard nowadays. HDD is a huge bottleneck for overall performance. My cousin installed an ssd on his 2006 2.0 ghz macbook. It's got a new life. Incredibly zippy overall and outperforms 2011 laptops in general use (non gaming, non encoding stuff)

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:08 pm

gothamm wrote:They are expensive and ridiculously overpriced for sure. But so damn fun. Modern dual core processors are fast enough. So is RAM...4gb is the standard nowadays. HDD is a huge bottleneck for overall performance. My cousin installed an ssd on his 2006 2.0 ghz macbook. It's got a new life. Incredibly zippy overall and outperforms 2011 laptops in general use (non gaming, non encoding stuff)

lol... Do you know how x86 and x64 architectures work?

haus

Postby haus » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:50 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
gothamm wrote:They are expensive and ridiculously overpriced for sure. But so damn fun. Modern dual core processors are fast enough. So is RAM...4gb is the standard nowadays. HDD is a huge bottleneck for overall performance. My cousin installed an ssd on his 2006 2.0 ghz macbook. It's got a new life. Incredibly zippy overall and outperforms 2011 laptops in general use (non gaming, non encoding stuff)

Is one of your postings going to have an actual point?

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:51 pm

ResolutePear wrote:

yes, but relevance?

glewz

Postby glewz » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:09 pm

haus wrote:

dude, it says A+ BBB rating. If I had a business in insurance/warranties, and I received an A+ BBB rating, I'd advertise it on my front page as well.

haus

Postby haus » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:14 pm

glewz wrote:
haus wrote:

dude, it says A+ BBB rating. If I had a business in insurance/warranties, and I received an A+ BBB rating, I'd advertise it on my front page as well.

Dude? OK, whatever.

BBB has devolved into a sham that shakes down companies for membership fees. Pay your price you get an A or A+, otherwise they slam you. Shady is a nice way of looking at it. If they had common sense they would distance themselves from this, not advertise it.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:38 pm

gothamm wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:I think I'll be ok with booting 30 seconds slower and launching word and adium 2 milliseconds slower. If I actually had to run some Adobe shit or pro tools I'd be all over it, but I don't need the SSD speed. I don't even need a big hard drive. For casual use not a good investment IMO.

You are absolutely correct. But the "need" argument takes you down a slippery slope, ultimately leading to "you don't NEED a laptop for law school".

There are so many benefits to SSDs that I can not explain. But if I had to, I would say that it makes everything so much more fluid on my mac. You just need to experience it so see what I mean :D

SSDs in the year 2011 are by no means an industry standard. Nor is anyone expected to have one in law school. It is definitely a premium upgrade. But the upgrade was so significant that I simply can not see myself using a hard disk. I guess you can call me an SSD snob.

I don't think you're a snob at all. All points duly noted. I don't want to make any broad sweeping claims. My laptop is a little overpowered for my purposes to begin with (the 2011 15" MBP, my one up grade was to the 7200 rpm drive. I thought long and hard about it. 128 gb is too small for me. I'm no hoarder but I'm not fully into the clod yet, and I can think of better uses for my money. I've bought bare bones computers my whole life, so it feels nice to have this new feeling of freedom. When I get a new laptop in 3-4 years for sure. I actually initially ordered it with one and changed my mind after speaking with some more knowledgeable friends. Let me know what your experience is, because I am genuinely interested

Stoic

Postby Stoic » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:57 am

beach_terror wrote:

That's not what I meant. I mean like the actual usefulness of it? I keep hearing Lenovo's nice and I liked the keyboard when I used it but I found the trackpoint annoying when I was typing. I never actually used the trackpoint itself. But yeah trackpads are terrible.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:58 am

Why do people have such a hard on for chiclet keyboards? How are they any better than the regular old keyboard that has come with IBM/Lenovo laptops since last millennium?

I've been using a keyboard with one for the past couple days and it pretty much seems on par with the old style outside of aesthetics.

Postby 23402385985 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:08 am

bk1 wrote:Why do people have such a hard on for chiclet keyboards? How are they any better than the regular old keyboard that has come with IBM/Lenovo laptops since last millennium?

I've been using a keyboard with one for the past couple days and it pretty much seems on par with the old style outside of aesthetics.

Much easier to type on, IMO. I love the island keys.

haus

Postby haus » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:21 am

bk1 wrote:Why do people have such a hard on for chiclet keyboards? How are they any better than the regular old keyboard that has come with IBM/Lenovo laptops since last millennium?

Comfort with a keyboard is very important with a system, especially a laptop. This is one reason that I would not be interested in ordering a machine online or over the phone unless I have had an opportunity to work with a like model in person for long enough to determine how the keyboard works for me.

Personally I am fine with the traditional IBM/Lenovo layouts, I also do well with most of the Mac keyboards. I do not care for the feel of my corporate Dell machine, but this is a personal matter that everyone needs to sort out for themselves. For those who plan on spending a great deal of time with their systems, or plan to use them in time sensitive situations (e.g. exams, cutting deadlines short on writing assignments) it is worth spending a little time to compare your options to increase the chance that you will end up something that suits you.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:56 am

Stoic wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

That's not what I meant. I mean like the actual usefulness of it? I keep hearing Lenovo's nice and I liked the keyboard when I used it but I found the trackpoint annoying when I was typing. I never actually used the trackpoint itself. But yeah trackpads are terrible.

It's fantastic. I love my Trackpoint.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:27 pm

Island keyboards aren't necessarily better, but comfort is essential. Thinkpads and macs have great ones. I cannot stand off-center keyboards or trackpads. Look at any HP, Toshiba, et al and a lot of them have an extra row of page up/page down type shit (im not saying these keys arent useful, but most laptop keyboards ive seen are in desperate need of re-design) and it makes the QWERTY keyboard off center. It's a pain.

albanach

Postby albanach » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:47 pm

Naked Dude wrote:Island keyboards aren't necessarily better, but comfort is essential.

This is important. For anyone thinking of buying a new computer for law school, priority should probably be given to the keyboard and display. Those are the two computer parts you will be using every day for three years.

It's also worth considering a decent external monitor and keyboard for your desk at home, since it's easier to get a better ergonomic position with those than with a laptop by itself.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:13 pm

gothamm wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

yes, but relevance?

How is the HDD a bottleneck with office, then?

I just don't see how a memory-resident program can be affected by HDD access directly, without calling upon 500MB office files(.doc, .xls, etc.). Please, enlighten us.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:57 pm

albanach wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:Island keyboards aren't necessarily better, but comfort is essential.

This is important. For anyone thinking of buying a new computer for law school, priority should probably be given to the keyboard and display. Those are the two computer parts you will be using every day for three years.

It's also worth considering a decent external monitor and keyboard for your desk at home, since it's easier to get a better ergonomic position with those than with a laptop by itself.

I don't know why so many laptops have this--it's, to me at least, really atrocious in terms of ergonomics and it kills my wrists. Look on the right side Image. There's got to be a better way to place the home/page up/page down/end keys. The keyboard could use fewer keys to make it more like this Image. Say what you want about the Thinkpad. It's almost the antithesis of a Mac. Unglamorous, kind of ugly, bulky and uninspired and unambitious aesthetically. But it's a solid computer, and I wish Toshiba and HP would make their notebook keyboards like that, because it's driven me away from some of their stuff I've otherwise liked.

And it is nearly impossible to find a good PC laptop larger than 15" without a full numeric pad! I found some great Toshibas in which this was the dealbreaker Image. Note this isn't a new model or the one I looked at, but the keyboard is the same. Toshiba Portege, loved it, one of the dealbreakers was the keyboard.

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:17 am

I mainly got the Mac because of the keyboard and the touchpad; I just hate Dell.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”