Computers for Law School 2011

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Marionberry

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby Marionberry » Wed May 18, 2011 6:45 pm

For those of ya'll who ain't know:

outlet.lenovo.com

Good deals on Thinkpads, including T410 and T400 models.

Trip Coker

Postby Trip Coker » Fri May 20, 2011 7:15 am

haus and zeth; thanks for breaking down the SSD for this techno-moron. Since I don't plan on using my school laptop for anything other than notes, papers, projects and finals it seems like the increased speed and reliability of the SSD outweigh the loss of internal storage. I appreciate the help!

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Fri May 20, 2011 10:26 am

I bought a computer on Sunday from Amazon, then I saw this yesterday.

--LinkRemoved--

Free Xbox to any student who buys a win 7 computer for more than 699.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Fri May 20, 2011 10:49 am

For non-tech savvy folks, this is a nifty tool to help you figure out what specs you need in a laptop.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pc-sco ... udent#tour

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Fri May 20, 2011 3:16 pm

justhockey31

Postby justhockey31 » Mon May 23, 2011 9:55 pm

Purchased a toshiba satellite e305 today plus a kodak printer...I took advantage of the xbox 360 deal and am planning on selling it immediately on craiglists ($ for a ps3!!) Its a pretty sweet deal as they did not even ask me to prove that I am a student.

Postby 23402385985 » Mon May 23, 2011 10:42 pm

Trip Coker wrote:haus and zeth; thanks for breaking down the SSD for this techno-moron. Since I don't plan on using my school laptop for anything other than notes, papers, projects and finals it seems like the increased speed and reliability of the SSD outweigh the loss of internal storage. I appreciate the help!

Absolutely. SSD or nothing at this point. Unless you seriously need the HD space (and, really, at that point just get an external), than there's no real excuse to bypass the security and speed of the SSD. It's worth the extra $150-200 or so for the upgrade, for sure. I was surprised a few people were actually trying to dissuade the use of one saying it wasn't needed. I think it's very much needed.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon May 23, 2011 10:46 pm

joncrooshal wrote:
Trip Coker wrote:haus and zeth; thanks for breaking down the SSD for this techno-moron. Since I don't plan on using my school laptop for anything other than notes, papers, projects and finals it seems like the increased speed and reliability of the SSD outweigh the loss of internal storage. I appreciate the help!

Absolutely. SSD or nothing at this point. Unless you seriously need the HD space (and, really, at that point just get an external), than there's no real excuse to bypass the security and speed of the SSD. It's worth the extra $150-200 or so for the upgrade, for sure. I was surprised a few people were actually trying to dissuade the use of one saying it wasn't needed. I think it's very much needed.

It's not "needed." You may prefer it, but it's by no means a crucial component. A LS laptop just needs a core 2 duo and a 5400 hd. If you're not a moron, your computer will be fine.

Postby 23402385985 » Mon May 23, 2011 10:48 pm

beach_terror wrote:
joncrooshal wrote:

It's not "needed." You may prefer it, but it's by no means a crucial component. A LS laptop just needs a core 2 duo and a 5400 hd.

I've had my fair share of HDs failing, so it's definitely a need to anyone who's went through that crap. Nothing more annoying.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon May 23, 2011 10:50 pm

joncrooshal wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
joncrooshal wrote:

It's not "needed." You may prefer it, but it's by no means a crucial component. A LS laptop just needs a core 2 duo and a 5400 hd.

I've had my fair share of HDs failing, so it's definitely a need to anyone who's went through that crap. Nothing more annoying.

Happened to me 3 weeks prior to my first 1L final. BSOD'd. Still sitting on my shelf, told myself I'd figure it out after school was over. It was just software related, so I pulled my files in all of 15 minutes. :D (still maintain that SSD's are way overpriced and totally unnecessary at this point)

haus

Postby haus » Mon May 23, 2011 11:18 pm

beach_terror wrote:Happened to me 3 weeks prior to my first 1L final. BSOD'd. Still sitting on my shelf, told myself I'd figure it out after school was over. It was just software related, so I pulled my files in all of 15 minutes. :D (still maintain that SSD's are way overpriced and totally unnecessary at this point)

That is not a HD failure that is an OS failure, while still annoying, they are not the same thing.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon May 23, 2011 11:53 pm

Anyone who thinks SSD's are "necessary" needs to get of his mom's basement now and then. They are ridiculously overpriced right now. If you're worried about HDD failure, cloud backup is free.

haus

Postby haus » Tue May 24, 2011 12:04 am

kalvano wrote:Anyone who thinks SSD's are "necessary" needs to get of his mom's basement now and then. They are ridiculously overpriced right now. If you're worried about HDD failure, cloud backup is free.

I do not think that anyone said they are "necessary", but they do provide a better bang for the buck performance enhancement for most law student type uses in comparison from going from a low-mid level processor to a top level processor, and they provide a few extra benefits, such as being less prone to failure from jarring/mild rough handling.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue May 24, 2011 12:23 am

haus wrote:
kalvano wrote:Anyone who thinks SSD's are "necessary" needs to get of his mom's basement now and then. They are ridiculously overpriced right now. If you're worried about HDD failure, cloud backup is free.

I do not think that anyone said they are "necessary", but they do provide a better bang for the buck performance enhancement for most law student type uses in comparison from going from a low-mid level processor to a top level processor, and they provide a few extra benefits, such as being less prone to failure from jarring/mild rough handling.

When they cost $100 more than a regular HDD, then they are better "bang for the buck", but right now, for what law students need, they are completely unnecessary and drastic overkill.

Also, someone a few posts up said it was "SSD or nothing" at this point, and said that SSD is "needed". That's ridiculous.

whuts4lunch

Postby whuts4lunch » Tue May 24, 2011 12:29 am

I plan on buying an 11.6" MacBook Air for law school. Good idea? I have a high powered Windows 7 desktop, so performance isn't a priority, and I love the Air's portability.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue May 24, 2011 12:45 am

Just be careful your Con Law book doesn't crush it.

TUP

Postby TUP » Tue May 24, 2011 12:58 am

Uh, I'd wager $150 is better spent on an SSD upgrade than the $300 a poster was told to spend to go Intel over AMD for web browsing and word processing a few pages back.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Tue May 24, 2011 8:53 am

whuts4lunch wrote:I plan on buying an 11.6" MacBook Air for law school. Good idea? I have a high powered Windows 7 desktop, so performance isn't a priority, and I love the Air's portability.

it's getting refreshed in june or july, if you didn't know. i think i'm getting the same thing.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue May 24, 2011 1:18 pm

TUP wrote:Uh, I'd wager $150 is better spent on an SSD upgrade than the $300 a poster was told to spend to go Intel over AMD for web browsing and word processing a few pages back.

Sandybridge!

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue May 24, 2011 1:24 pm

haus wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Happened to me 3 weeks prior to my first 1L final. BSOD'd. Still sitting on my shelf, told myself I'd figure it out after school was over. It was just software related, so I pulled my files in all of 15 minutes. :D (still maintain that SSD's are way overpriced and totally unnecessary at this point)

That is not a HD failure that is an OS failure, while still annoying, they are not the same thing.

Not necessarily. It's been awhile since I worked in IT, but I'm pretty sure that software related BSOD's can still kill the drive (i.e. you can't wipe the drive to fix the problem).

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue May 24, 2011 1:28 pm

beach_terror wrote:
haus wrote:

Not necessarily. It's been awhile since I worked in IT, but I'm pretty sure that software related BSOD's can still kill the drive (i.e. you can't wipe the drive to fix the problem).

An HD fault will cause a bsod. Any hardware fault will.

Flustercluck

Postby Flustercluck » Tue May 24, 2011 1:44 pm

Wow, I can't believe no one else has posted this.

--LinkRemoved--

When students buy a Windows 7 PC over $699, they will receive a FREE Xbox 360

If you have a .edu email address you can purchase your new PC through one of our participating retailers including Dell.com, HP.com (05/26) or Microsoft Store. If you don't have a .edu address or prefer to walk into a store, touch the PCs and test their features, bring your Student ID into Best Buy or any Microsoft Store retail location. Check with your chosen retailer for additional specifics they may have in place.

Sure beats an iPod...

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue May 24, 2011 1:47 pm

Flustercluck wrote:Wow, I can't believe no one else has posted this.

--LinkRemoved--

If you have a .edu email address you can purchase your new PC through one of our participating retailers including Dell.com, HP.com (05/26) or Microsoft Store. If you don't have a .edu address or prefer to walk into a store, touch the PCs and test their features, bring your Student ID into Best Buy or any Microsoft Store retail location. Check with your chosen retailer for additional specifics they may have in place.

Sure beats an iPod...

Yeah but you still have to buy it from Dell/HP/BestBuy/MS. Not sure even a $150 value ($200 4g 360's almost always have a $50 gift card attached to them these days) could make it worth it to buy from those places.

Flustercluck

Postby Flustercluck » Tue May 24, 2011 1:54 pm

bk1 wrote:
Flustercluck wrote:Wow, I can't believe no one else has posted this.

--LinkRemoved--

Sure beats an iPod...

Yeah but you still have to buy it from Dell/HP/BestBuy/MS. Not sure even a $150 value ($200 4g 360's almost always have a $50 gift card attached to them these days) could make it worth it to buy from those places.

Trust me, I share your skepticism on the retailers involved. But considering that I was already planning on buying one of the new Sony Vaio S Series, and Best Buy actually offers them at a lower price than Sony direct does, I guess it just depends on the respective prices/offers for whichever particular model you're interested in...

TUP

Postby TUP » Tue May 24, 2011 1:58 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
TUP wrote:Uh, I'd wager $150 is better spent on an SSD upgrade than the $300 a poster was told to spend to go Intel over AMD for web browsing and word processing a few pages back.

Sandybridge!

The latest MS Word must be intense.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”