Computers for Law School 2011

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
delusional

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby delusional » Sun May 15, 2011 6:04 pm

So I'm looking for a new laptop but there's a few things holdong me back. I've heard you can get better deals through schools, and I'd like to be able to get an extra $1000 in loan eligibility for a new computer, by getting it after June somethingth. Is it true that you can often get better deals through the school?

Another Q: I was in Sam's Club and I saw what appeared to be a great deal - An HP DV6 laptop with 4 gb ddr3, 500gb HD, 7 hour battery life, and a blu-ray disc drive for $599. Is that as good a deal as I think it is? It seems to me that it's a regular deal if not for the blu-ray and seven hour battery life, but with them, it's a great buy. Am I off base?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun May 15, 2011 6:06 pm

delusional wrote:So I'm looking for a new laptop but there's a few things holdong me back. I've heard you can get better deals through schools, and I'd like to be able to get an extra $1000 in loan eligibility for a new computer, by getting it after June somethingth. Is it true that you can often get better deals through the school?

Another Q: I was in Sam's Club and I saw what appeared to be a great deal - An HP DV6 laptop with 4 gb ddr3, 500gb HD, 7 hour battery life, and a blu-ray disc drive for $599. Is that as good a deal as I think it is? It seems to me that it's a regular deal if not for the blu-ray and seven hour battery life, but with them, it's a great buy. Am I off base?

It depends on the school. I know Lenovo allows student pricing to be done by just selecting your school on their site, which gives a decent discount.

This is super anecdotal, but almost every HP in my section ended up shitting the bed. It sounds like a decent enough deal for the laptop, but battery life isn't that important because you spend most of the day plugged in.

Regardless of what laptop brand you go with, read reviews and pay attention to overheating complaints. Those are the most deadly.

delusional

Postby delusional » Sun May 15, 2011 6:09 pm

beach_terror wrote:
delusional wrote:So I'm looking for a new laptop but there's a few things holdong me back. I've heard you can get better deals through schools, and I'd like to be able to get an extra $1000 in loan eligibility for a new computer, by getting it after June somethingth. Is it true that you can often get better deals through the school?

It depends on the school. I know Lenovo allows student pricing to be done by just selecting your school on their site, which gives a decent discount.

This is super anecdotal, but almost every HP in my section ended up shitting the bed.

I've had an HP G6 for three-four years now and I've been happy with it. Maybe it's luck, or maybe it's because I know a drop more about computer security than the people around me, but they've had much worse luck with Gateway and Dell.

Remnantofisrael

Postby Remnantofisrael » Sun May 15, 2011 6:31 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Remnantofisrael wrote:tl;dr

Also, you mad

(you need to lighten up)

I'm light. Just emphasizing that I've been on this board long enough to know what to expect. Sorry if I came off as a dick.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun May 15, 2011 6:48 pm

delusional wrote:I've had an HP G6 for three-four years now and I've been happy with it. Maybe it's luck, or maybe it's because I know a drop more about computer security than the people around me, but they've had much worse luck with Gateway and Dell.

Eek, Dell. I worked IT for my UG and we had an exclusive deal with Dell - I will never be purchasing a Dell as a result. However, if you know how to take care of your computer (unfortunately, most do not), you'll be fine with almost anything. I'd recommend getting a spare HD and formatting it, so if it shits the bed you can just pop and swap. My HD crashed 3 weeks before 1L finals.
Remnantofisrael wrote:I'm light. Just emphasizing that I've been on this board long enough to know what to expect. Sorry if I came off as a dick.

All good, bro. I forget 0Ls aren't quite as into the super snoddy sarcasm.

Remnantofisrael

Postby Remnantofisrael » Sun May 15, 2011 6:59 pm

No sweat- I understood your comment was sarcastic, I just like to pre-empt dickery because it makes people work harder for my amusement. Dance my monkeys.

ziggie

Postby ziggie » Sun May 15, 2011 7:11 pm

Macbook Pro 13'' just got a pretty significant upgrade a few months back and now has an i5 processor. Not to mention how portable it is

(I haven't read anyone else's response ITT, sorry if it has been said before)

Remnantofisrael

Postby Remnantofisrael » Sun May 15, 2011 7:24 pm

i7 as well, but dual core, not quad like the 15. I wonder what actual end all effect this has like in running parallels and stuff.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Sun May 15, 2011 8:14 pm

chimp wrote:This is a sweet deal: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread ... &t=2918095

Edit: I just finalized my order. Should arrive early June :)

Thanks for posting this. It's an amazing deal; just ordered a T420i with a few upgrades:) The setup I went with would normally cost 1,385 (there is a sale on atm that lowers the prices to 929), I got it for a bit under 700.

ziggie

Postby ziggie » Sun May 15, 2011 8:20 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:i7 as well, but dual core, not quad like the 15. I wonder what actual end all effect this has like in running parallels and stuff.

yep, but I think the base model would be fine for a law student. $1099 with the student discount

Remnantofisrael

Postby Remnantofisrael » Sun May 15, 2011 9:16 pm

I'm pretty much between two choices.

1) The T420s (with 8gb ram, 128 ssd) which, with my setup and 3 year protection, $1700
2) Macbook Pro (with 8gb, 128 ssd) with applecare is $2600 and change.

I've always used PC's, and like one note already. But like I said earlier, I don't know anyone who switched to mac and regretted it. I'm not buying another computer until either catastrophe or a job make me (in which case I might not have a choice) so this is my one shot to make the switch. Further, given that I feel pretty proficient on the PC (better than average) it might be worth expanding my knowledge, especially since I'll continue to use my crazy overpowered 13lb "laptop" at home anyway.

I don't know- maybe I should wait till the likely june release of the new Air. It would suck if it was basically the MBP but smaller, right after paying max for the MBP.
Last edited by Remnantofisrael on Sun May 15, 2011 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun May 15, 2011 9:19 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:I'm pretty much between two choices.

1) The T420s (with 8gb ram, 128 ssd) which, with my setup and 3 year protection, $1700
2) Macbook Pro (with 8gb, 128 ssd) with applecare is $2600 and change.

I've always used PC's, and like one note already. But like I said earlier, I don't know anyone who switched to mac and regretted it. I'm not buying another computer until either catastrophe or a job make me (in which case I might not have a choice) so this is my one shot to make the switch. Further, given that I feel pretty proficient on the PC (better than average) it might be worth expanding my knowledge, especially since I'll continue to use my crazy overpowered 13lb "laptop" at home anyway.

Those types of opinions don't matter.

I've used Slackware Linux forever and I have yet to find something as hardcore, fast, and pretty as that.

Edit: Yes, I said pretty. Because I can like minimalism.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun May 15, 2011 9:21 pm

ResolutePear wrote:Edit: Yes, I said pretty. Because I can like minimalism.

Hipster.

Remnantofisrael

Postby Remnantofisrael » Sun May 15, 2011 9:28 pm

ResolutePear wrote:

I've used Slackware Linux forever and I have yet to find something as hardcore, fast, and pretty as that.

That's fair for you, but I don't want to be learning linux or justifying the extra hours in making it useful for the task/software/web app du jour just to change it again. If I had the cred, I might give it a shot, but frankly, I care enough to know what I'm doing, but not enough to join the cult that is linux. Perhaps my aversion is partially that the people I know who got into it a decade ago were the same kids passing around anarchists cookbook and 2600.

Although (and don't quote me on this) I respect that you use it.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun May 15, 2011 9:30 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

That's fair for you, but I don't want to be learning linux or justifying the extra hours in making it useful for the task/software/web app du jour just to change it again. If I had the cred, I might give it a shot, but frankly, I care enough to know what I'm doing, but not enough to join the cult that is linux. Perhaps my aversion is partially that the people I know who got into it a decade ago were the same kids passing around anarchists cookbook and 2600.

But I don't have any regrets, nor does anybody else who switched!

Remnantofisrael

Postby Remnantofisrael » Sun May 15, 2011 10:45 pm

first, I said don't quote me.

Secondly, that is irrelevant. Because the sample is about .5% of computer users. Further, your point is flawed in that I know TONS of people who have used varying versions of linux and not a damned one (except you now) chose to continue to use it as their main OS base.

I'm willing to hear that mac converts go back. I just haven't yet heard it.

Further, lets get practical. Would you actually suggest that a relative laymen, who clearly isn't you, utilize slackware as their primary base for law school?

The opinions of others, as far as switchers, do matter. MANY people have switched from PC to mac (id say the large majority of current mac users). Their results are very relevant.

I suppose one could argue that by the nature of a Mac user, they would not be as satisfied with the PC because the perceived differences are more drastic than the other way around. But even still, if the huge majority of those who switch to Mac love Mac, that is something worth knowing.

Postby 071816 » Mon May 16, 2011 12:01 am

buckilaw wrote:
chimp wrote:This is a sweet deal: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread ... &t=2918095

Edit: I just finalized my order. Should arrive early June :)

Thanks for posting this. It's an amazing deal; just ordered a T420i with a few upgrades:) The setup I went with would normally cost 1,385 (there is a sale on atm that lowers the prices to 929), I got it for a bit under 700.

Sweet. No problem ;)

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Mon May 16, 2011 9:27 am

i tried to use the coupon for the t420, but no luck:( maybe the deal is over?
in any event, i took the plunge and bought the edge - E420...kept it pretty basic, got the i3 processor and 320GB hard drive, added a camera but nothing else...about $600 even. hope i'm happy, i'll report back if there's anything to report! thanks for the thoughts ITT, i appreciate info from those who know more than i!!

Trip Coker

Postby Trip Coker » Wed May 18, 2011 9:24 am

Thanks everyone for all the great advice/discussion in this thread.

Two quick questions:

1. What is this SSD that people are talking about and how does it differ from a regular hard drive?

2. I can't seem to find any laptop keyboards that I like/feel comfortable with. How would I be received if I showed up for finals with a desktop keyboard plugged into my laptop? I would use the laptop keyboard for everything else (taking notes, etc) but for finals I assume you have to use what you are most comfortable with.

Thanks in advance for any assistance and I welcome with open arms any mockery/insults for suggesting the desktop keyboard idea.

haus

Postby haus » Wed May 18, 2011 12:21 pm

Think of an SSD as a thumb drive.

It has no magnetic spinning platters, there is no drive head that glides over the platters (think of old school record players). Instead the drive is treated more like a memory card in a computer. By by passing the process of needing to physically reach the storage are in question you shorten the amount of time required to retrieve or to store information. As an added bonus, SSD drives are generally less fragile than a traditional hard drive because it removes the sensitive moving components from the system, given the occasional bumps and bruises that are common in the life of portable systems, this bonus can be handy indeed.

Downside is cost. For the same amount of storage hard drives are simply cheaper, and likely will be for some time to come. If you have a portable system and a desktop system. You can dodge some of the cost, by storing the bulk of your data on a desktop system, and keeping the portable system pruned down to things that are on your short to mid-term needs. This of course requires a more active participation of the user moving data back and forth between the systems based on your current needs.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Wed May 18, 2011 5:28 pm

Trip Coker wrote:2. I can't seem to find any laptop keyboards that I like/feel comfortable with. How would I be received if I showed up for finals with a desktop keyboard plugged into my laptop? I would use the laptop keyboard for everything else (taking notes, etc) but for finals I assume you have to use what you are most comfortable with.

Thanks in advance for any assistance and I welcome with open arms any mockery/insults for suggesting the desktop keyboard idea.

Honestly, I'm with you there. I don't particularly like laptop keyboards. Maybe it's because I've regularly used desktop keyboards for most of my life and a laptop keyboard for probably only 3. I don't think there would be any problem with bringing in a desktop keyboard. For common courtesy, you should be ok as long as it's not too loud. I don't think anyone would accuse you of being a gunner.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Wed May 18, 2011 5:31 pm

SSD prices are dropping pretty quickly these days. I've noticed this especially as companies are migrating to sub-20nm nodes. Win7 and now OS X Lion support garbage collection. Putting these two factors together along with all these new flash memory factories getting funded and set up around the world and I can see SSDs becoming mainstream in both laptops and desktops at B&Ms in a few years.

I have a G2 in my HP. PM55 chipset sort of gimped down the performance boost that's normally seen in other laptops, but I'm still happy with the upgrade. Everything loads up in a snap. Just need to use Intel's SSD Maintenance tool once a week and I'm good.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Wed May 18, 2011 5:41 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
Remnantofisrael wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

Each to his own. Used a MBP 2010 for a month, liked the extra touchpad gestures, but missed the bang for buck specs and some of my Win7 hotkeys. Both are very capable OSes. Currently on an HP Envy 14 which is pretty much an MBP clone with Win7 loaded up. Service/support for it sucked balls, but still didn't dissuade me from it.

For a geek like me, learning to use Linux would probably be a project I'd take on for fun. As long as I have my Word 2010 and gaming needs, I don't see myself ever using it as my main OS.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Wed May 18, 2011 5:56 pm

zeth006 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
Remnantofisrael wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

Each to his own. Used a MBP 2010 for a month, liked the extra touchpad gestures, but missed the bang for buck specs and some of my Win7 hotkeys. Both are very capable OSes. Currently on an HP Envy 14 which is pretty much an MBP clone with Win7 loaded up. Service/support for it sucked balls, but still didn't dissuade me from it.

For a geek like me, learning to use Linux would probably be a project I'd take on for fun. As long as I have my Word 2010 and gaming needs, I don't see myself ever using it as my main OS.

Word? I tend to use vim with TeX for formatting. The papers produced are chasms better in terms of readability and meets 99.9% of publisher's preference - the .1% are self publishers. Especially when dealing with math and science papers and books.

Besides, once you know vim - there's no fiddling with a freaking GUI.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Wed May 18, 2011 6:03 pm

I'm not super knowledgeable about these things, but I hear mostly good things about Linux distributions. Good performance and user-friendliness once you customize it to fit your needs. Just wish compatibility weren't an issue for me.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”