Computers for Law School 2011

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
PirateCap'n

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby PirateCap'n » Sun May 08, 2011 2:19 pm

beachbum wrote:My last laptop was a Dell Latitude, and I hated it. The thing wouldn't recognize its own charger. Over the course of about 4 years, I had the charger replaced 3 times. Each time, things would be great for a couple months, then it would suddenly give me the standard "plugged in but not charging, please insert a Dell 90W power adapter" message. I also had the laptop sent back to Dell to get its motherboard switched out, and that didn't solve the problem either. The overall build quality of the computer seemed a bit lacking too, particularly when compared to my new Thinkpad. Also, Dell's customer service is INFURIATING.

Had this exact same problem with a Dell laptop as well. Customer service is more or less non-existent. I'll never bother considering another Dell. With all of the options students have, I would suggest you guys do the same.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun May 08, 2011 2:37 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
beachbum wrote:My last laptop was a Dell Latitude, and I hated it. The thing wouldn't recognize its own charger. Over the course of about 4 years, I had the charger replaced 3 times. Each time, things would be great for a couple months, then it would suddenly give me the standard "plugged in but not charging, please insert a Dell 90W power adapter" message. I also had the laptop sent back to Dell to get its motherboard switched out, and that didn't solve the problem either. The overall build quality of the computer seemed a bit lacking too, particularly when compared to my new Thinkpad. Also, Dell's customer service is INFURIATING.

Had this exact same problem with a Dell laptop as well. Customer service is more or less non-existent. I'll never bother considering another Dell. With all of the options students have, I would suggest you guys do the same.

Yup. One of my friends had the same computer (Latitude D820), and she had the same problem as well. If you're looking for a good business-class PC, just buy a Thinkpad.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun May 08, 2011 3:18 pm

Last I checked, Thinkplus(the thinkpad warranty) makes a point to have U.S.-based tech support.

OTOH, you get somebody called Bob who doesn't know the U.S. capitol when calling Dell.

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Sun May 08, 2011 4:17 pm

ResolutePear wrote:OTOH, you get somebody called Bob who doesn't know the U.S. capitol when calling Dell.

That's why i've hated dell ever since my first desktop (a complete Mac-person now)

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Sun May 08, 2011 11:33 pm

B&M and domestic phone support constitute the top reason IMO to go for Mac. If I do go Mac in 2 year's time, it'll be the decisive factor. The only downside for me would be that Applecare for the MBP 15 is kinda pricey at $349 on Apple's website and roughly $290 on eBay and $200 for the MBP 13. Then again, you get what you pay for when it comes with customer support.

MBZags

Postby MBZags » Mon May 09, 2011 1:19 pm

zeth006 wrote:B&M and domestic phone support constitute the top reason IMO to go for Mac. If I do go Mac in 2 year's time, it'll be the decisive factor. The only downside for me would be that Applecare for the MBP 15 is kinda pricey at $349 on Apple's website and roughly $290 on eBay and $200 for the MBP 13. Then again, you get what you pay for when it comes with customer support.

AppleCare through the Apple store with the Education Discount is $239 for the 15 MBP and $183 for the 13 MBP.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Mon May 09, 2011 3:13 pm

MBZags wrote:
zeth006 wrote:B&M and domestic phone support constitute the top reason IMO to go for Mac. If I do go Mac in 2 year's time, it'll be the decisive factor. The only downside for me would be that Applecare for the MBP 15 is kinda pricey at $349 on Apple's website and roughly $290 on eBay and $200 for the MBP 13. Then again, you get what you pay for when it comes with customer support.

AppleCare through the Apple store with the Education Discount is $239 for the 15 MBP and $183 for the 13 MBP.

What are you trying to pull here. We all know that law students aren't real students.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:43 pm

MBZags wrote:

True, though the taxes you incur on their website erase that discount.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Tue May 10, 2011 10:13 am

ok, some opinions please....
looking at the lenovo thinkpad edge 14" with an AMD processor - obviously slower than the ones with intel processors...but i won't ever use it for gaming, is there another good reason i would want a faster processor? i really just need a laptop for school, i won't use it for much else other than some web surfing and maybe pictures and stuff, but that's all, and it's $300 cheaper for this one than for the thinkpad t410i with the faster processor and integrated graphics (these terms mean almost nothing to me, i'm just regurgitating them to y'all from teh web site!)
thoughts from computer savvy people?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue May 10, 2011 10:15 am

oldhippie wrote:ok, some opinions please....
looking at the lenovo thinkpad edge 14" with an AMD processor - obviously slower than the ones with intel processors...but i won't ever use it for gaming, is there another good reason i would want a faster processor? i really just need a laptop for school, i won't use it for much else other than some web surfing and maybe pictures and stuff, but that's all, and it's $300 cheaper for this one than for the thinkpad t410i with the faster processor and integrated graphics (these terms mean almost nothing to me, i'm just regurgitating them to y'all from teh web site!)

Get the Intel, it's far, far better. Everything will run much smoother and faster.

I have the Edge 14", and it's a great laptop.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Tue May 10, 2011 10:21 am

kalvano wrote:

Get the Intel, it's far, far better. Everything will run much smoother and faster.

is it the E420?

binghamtonalum

Postby binghamtonalum » Tue May 10, 2011 10:28 am

kalvano wrote:

No problems with the display being 1366 x 768?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue May 10, 2011 10:45 am

oldhippie wrote:
kalvano wrote:Get the Intel, it's far, far better. Everything will run much smoother and faster.

is it the E420?

No, the i3. Don't skimp on a processor. Buying a decent one can make your computer last much, much longer.

binghamtonalum wrote:
kalvano wrote:Get the Intel, it's far, far better. Everything will run much smoother and faster.

No problems with the display being 1366 x 768?

Until now, I didn't even know it was. It's not a factor at all. I don't do anything but school stuff on it.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Tue May 10, 2011 10:52 am

thanks, kalvano, i appreciate the input!

haus

Postby haus » Tue May 10, 2011 11:10 am

FantasticMrFox wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:OTOH, you get somebody called Bob who doesn't know the U.S. capitol when calling Dell.

That's why i've hated dell ever since my first desktop (a complete Mac-person now)

Dell consumer level support leaves much to be desired. Although their corporate support is reasonable. If one really feels a pressing need to go with a Dell, it is worth the extra money to purchase systems from their business line to avoid the consumer support group.

Although you are likely better off just purchasing a Leveno or Apple product, that is, if quality service is of value to you.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue May 10, 2011 4:47 pm

haus wrote:it is worth the extra money to purchase systems from their business line to avoid the consumer support group.

Are business grade laptops actually more costly than consumer grade laptops? I also did not realize that you get different tech support based on the model you purchase.

chrisnashville

Postby chrisnashville » Tue May 10, 2011 4:55 pm

bk1 wrote:
haus wrote:it is worth the extra money to purchase systems from their business line to avoid the consumer support group.

Are business grade laptops actually more costly than consumer grade laptops? I also did not realize that you get different tech support based on the model you purchase.

Usually they sacrifice some sexiness for better build materials / durability. Theoretically you'll get better support.

Business-grade laptops also often have docking station abilities that their consumer-grade cousins don't, which can be handy. I regret that my Toshiba doesn't have the ability to dock (well, save for a USB-type option, which is pretty inferior. Sigh).

haus

Postby haus » Tue May 10, 2011 7:37 pm

bk1 wrote:

This depends on the company. Dell business laptops often run more money than their consumer models, also the specs will often vary some a chrisnashville said. But Dell 'Business' support is still in the US, and generally receives higher marks then their consumer level support that is not in the US. If you never need to call support, then this likely will not matter to you. On the other hand, if you happen to run into a crisis during crunch time, then this difference could mean quite a lot to you.

There are no guarantees when it comes to matters like this, you can only play the odds and hope for the best. That is why I generally recommend Leveno laptops for those who want to go with PCs, I personally choose Macs, which generally get strong marks for support. If one does fell the need to get a Dell I strongly encourage making arrangements for a business system, as their business unit consistently receives better marks for support then their consumer division. With other manufactures, the business and consumer division between divisions is not necessarily as stark.

Happy Hunting,

twozeroseven

Postby twozeroseven » Tue May 10, 2011 9:45 pm

Since I'm still working right up until the end I managed to rationalize the new Lenovo y470 (Ideapad line) -- I won't have in hand for about 2 weeks, but I will post a review at that time. I went higher-end due to digital photography needs, but the base models are pretty spec'd out for what I consider a reasonable price. My understanding is that the 470 has a better build than other Ideapads, although probably not as good as the Thinkpad line. The Lenovo student discount it pretty good on some systems. Also, they are letting the y460p sell pretty cheap right now.

justhockey31

Postby justhockey31 » Tue May 10, 2011 10:08 pm

Any words of wisdom on Toshiba laptops? I am very clueless on computer specs and stuff so looked at a Consumer Report and they all seemed to have man crushes on those comps.

Postby 071816 » Tue May 10, 2011 10:14 pm

I'm probably going to get a Lenovo Thinkpad. Most likely the T420. Sorry if it has already been discussed, but any opinion on this laptop? Anybody in here have one and like/dislike it? Thanks.

haus

Postby haus » Tue May 10, 2011 11:17 pm

justhockey31 wrote:Any words of wisdom on Toshiba laptops?

Many years ago (~10), I worked at a organization that among others things performed warranty repairs on Toshiba laptops. I developed a bad taste regarding their business practices, as they often would stop providing drivers for proprietary parts within 18 months of the model no longer being available for sale as a new machine. This lead to a few occasions that when a customer had a hard drive failure which required a new OS install (Win 98 or Win 2k back then), some features would no longer work because we has no access to some drivers that had originally been loaded on the system.

Admittedly many years have passed since then, and the Windows OSs do a far better job of identifying hardware and working reasonably well without the need for third-party drivers than in the bad old days. But the callous view they took towards their customers, and being stuck as the bearer of bad news to their customers on several occasions has lead me to steer clear of their systems ever since.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue May 10, 2011 11:18 pm

chimp wrote:I'm probably going to get a Lenovo Thinkpad. Most likely the T420. Sorry if it has already been discussed, but any opinion on this laptop? Anybody in here have one and like/dislike it? Thanks.

Only problem I have is with the ctrl button and fn button placement. I like my ctrl in the bottom left.

haus

Postby haus » Tue May 10, 2011 11:24 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Only problem I have is with the ctrl button and fn button placement. I like my ctrl in the bottom left.

I also struggle with the keyboard layout of the Leveno's but I suspect that this is something that I would overcome if I used one as my primary machine for a month or so... Then again I have been using Solaris workstations off and on for over 15 years, and I still stumble around on their keyboards.

Postby 071816 » Tue May 10, 2011 11:54 pm

haus wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:Only problem I have is with the ctrl button and fn button placement. I like my ctrl in the bottom left.

I also struggle with the keyboard layout of the Leveno's but I suspect that this is something that I would overcome if I used one as my primary machine for a month or so... Then again I have been using Solaris workstations off and on for over 15 years, and I still stumble around on their keyboards.

LOL I noticed this as well. If that is your biggest complaint then overall I would think that you guys are pretty happy with your Thinkpads.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”