Computers for Law School 2011 Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bk1

Diamond

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Post by bk1 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:05 pm

geoduck wrote:Lol they still use the term Wintel? Does that make Apple systems Mactels?
I hate the fact that Apple has somehow gotten the populace to believe that there is an actual dichotomy between the terms "Mac" and "PC" rather than the former being a subset of the latter.

Saying Wintel is my silent protest of that as I loathe to call something, that isn't a Mac, a PC and infer that somehow a Mac is not a PC. I could say "Windows machine" and I think that's a better term but it is annoyingly long and clunky.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:25 pm

bk187 wrote:
geoduck wrote:Lol they still use the term Wintel? Does that make Apple systems Mactels?
I hate the fact that Apple has somehow gotten the populace to believe that there is an actual dichotomy between the terms "Mac" and "PC" rather than the former being a subset of the latter.

Saying Wintel is my silent protest of that as I loathe to call something, that isn't a Mac, a PC and infer that somehow a Mac is not a PC. I could say "Windows machine" and I think that's a better term but it is annoyingly long and clunky.
I don't know how long you've been around the computer world, but the Mac vs PC thing is way older than those ads and has always been retarded... But wasn't invented by Apple. Even though the Mac was the first modern personal computer, when Windows took over the home computing world in the 90s, they inherited the term PC. I remember back in the AIM alliance/early PowerPC days when the main people differentiating between "PCs" and Macs were ravenous Windows supporters, back when Wintel was even an appropriate term (i.e. before AMD stopped just making Pentium clones and started developing a strong market share). I was one of the Mac deriders. System 6-9 were horrible. It wasn't until Steve came back with his NeXT OS and turned Apple around that they improved in quality and started the counter offensive with Think Different and the Mac vs PC ads.

It certainly would be nice if there were a proper short hand for Windows machine, but the PC title is hardly Apple's fault.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:27 pm

geoduck wrote:I don't know how long you've been around the computer world, but the Mac vs PC thing is way older than those ads and has always been retarded... But wasn't invented by Apple. Even though the Mac was the first modern personal computer, when Windows took over the home computing world in the 90s, they inherited the term PC. I remember back in the AIM alliance/early PowerPC days when the main people differentiating between "PCs" and Macs were ravenous Windows supporters, back when Wintel was even an appropriate term (i.e. before AMD stopped just making Pentium clones and started developing a strong market share). I was one of the Mac deriders. System 6-9 were horrible. It wasn't until Steve came back with his NeXT OS and turned Apple around that they improved in quality and started the counter offensive with Think Different and the Mac vs PC ads.

It certainly would be nice if there were a proper short hand for Windows machine, but the PC title is hardly Apple's fault.
That's interesting to know. I guess I can lay off the blame for Apple on that one but I still hate the fact that there is a supposed semantic difference between the two.

frijoles99

New

Post by frijoles99 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:39 pm

Save 1000+ dollars if you are going to buy a macbook air and just buy a netbook. with an 11 inch screen. Comparable performance.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:45 pm

frijoles99 wrote:Save 1000+ dollars if you are going to buy a macbook air and just buy a netbook. with an 11 inch screen. Comparable performance.
$1000 - $1000 = $0... So netbooks are free now?!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wolverine2014

Bronze

Post by wolverine2014 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:48 pm

so I'm set on getting a Mac....any suggestions on whether I should get the Air or Pro?

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:50 pm

bk187 wrote:
frijoles99 wrote:Save 1000+ dollars if you are going to buy a macbook air and just buy a netbook. with an 11 inch screen. Comparable performance.
$1000 - $1000 = $0... So netbooks are free now?!
+1

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:50 pm

wolverine2014 wrote:so I'm set on getting a Mac....any suggestions on whether I should get the Air or Pro?
Do you want extra power or smaller size/weight?

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:03 pm

all i really do is use the Internet and maybe stream movies on netflix. that's in addition to school stuff, which you don't need a powerful computer for. which would you recommend?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:07 pm

Stringer6 wrote:
all i really do is use the Internet and maybe stream movies on netflix. that's in addition to school stuff, which you don't need a powerful computer for. which would you recommend?
I'd take the 13" Air if you want minimal size/weight. I'd take the 15" Pro (possibly the higher res option) if you want more screen real estate. That is if you are set on a Mac. For these tasks I wouldn't recommend it but to each their own.

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:09 pm

I'd take the 13" Air if you want minimal size/weight. I'd take the 15" Pro (possibly the higher res option) if you want more screen real estate.
if i get the Air, i would probably get the 11". i wouldn't notice any difference in internet speed or basic software speed b/w the Air and Pro or anything like that, right?

deepspacenine

New

Post by deepspacenine » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:11 pm

geoduck wrote:
deepspacenine wrote:
geoduck wrote: At least now I really don't look like a fanboi in comparison. Now I bathe in his failure.
--ImageRemoved--

Those that turn away from him have already failed, my child.
Yea may his light shine ever bright. I disagree not with thine path for in it I too walk. Verily it is by example and reason with which I attempt to spread His iWork. The followers of the false Steve, Steve of Ballmer, have proven hostile and unyielding to all else. For he who forsakes the Good Mac for mere Frames Per Second shall receive his punishment in the great Pit of Pestulence.
Your response = amazing. Whatever law school you go to is luck to have you, my fellow brother/sister of the Divine iLight.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:12 pm

Stringer6 wrote:if i get the Air, i would probably get the 11". i wouldn't notice any difference in internet speed or basic software speed b/w the Air and Pro or anything like that, right?
You're not really doing anything taxing and, iirc, the Air specs are plenty (I think it has a Core 2 Duo?). "Internet speed" will have to do with your connection and the browser you use moreso than Air versus Pro.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

deepspacenine

New

Post by deepspacenine » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:14 pm

Stringer6 wrote:
I'd take the 13" Air if you want minimal size/weight. I'd take the 15" Pro (possibly the higher res option) if you want more screen real estate.
if i get the Air, i would probably get the 11". i wouldn't notice any difference in internet speed or basic software speed b/w the Air and Pro or anything like that, right?
If you get the 11" I'd recommend getting one with 4GB of RAM. It will extend the life of your laptop and also let you run more apps and def. help when your doing 720P HD streaming from Netflix. I'm not 100% but I think the GPU utilizes shared memory so 4GB is def. helpful. Some convo about the 11 vs 13: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... D=13076233

Also I'd recommend going to the Apple store and playing on the 11inch and see if it is powerful enough for your needs. They have Internet on the machines so you can test it out with video playback and stuff.

(edit) Lastly, think about waiting a bit before buying one. They may be upgrading the processors in the 11" MBA before Aug 2011. Here is a buyer's guide with rumors of the upgrade: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Air

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:38 pm

You're not really doing anything taxing and, iirc, the Air specs are plenty (I think it has a Core 2 Duo?). "Internet speed" will have to do with your connection and the browser you use moreso than Air versus Pro.
thanks
If you get the 11" I'd recommend getting one with 4GB of RAM. It will extend the life of your laptop and also let you run more apps and def. help when your doing 720P HD streaming from Netflix. I'm not 100% but I think the GPU utilizes shared memory so 4GB is def. helpful. Some convo about the 11 vs 13: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... D=13076233

Also I'd recommend going to the Apple store and playing on the 11inch and see if it is powerful enough for your needs. They have Internet on the machines so you can test it out with video playback and stuff.

(edit) Lastly, think about waiting a bit before buying one. They may be upgrading the processors in the 11" MBA before Aug 2011. Here is a buyer's guide with rumors of the upgrade: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Air
thanks. yea, i don't plan on buying anything until july or august.

wolverine2014

Bronze

Post by wolverine2014 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:56 pm

So, I'm pretty set on purchasing either the MacBook Air or Pro. Do you guys suggest I make any upgrades? Note: This laptop will be used solely for law school (no gaming, etc).
Thanks

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:08 pm

Just read through the whole thread, thanks for the info guys.

Love how frijoles99 randomly chimes in on how great netbooks are regardless of what the conversation is, and how he is summarily dismissed by everyone right after he posts of the netbooks many "advantages".

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:19 pm

trudat15 wrote:Just read through the whole thread, thanks for the info guys.

Love how frijoles99 randomly chimes in on how great netbooks are regardless of what the conversation is, and how he is summarily dismissed by everyone right after he posts of the netbooks many "advantages".
frijoles99 rocks! even if he has an uncalled for affinity for netbooks (he/she's pragmatic :) ). I'm a mac person to the core, but have gone with an Asus (see the bean man's recommendation ITT) for law school. My reasoning? I want to: a) save money; b) use Onenote; and c) catch up on changes to the windows operating system since I last abandoned it (Vista).

My Asus should be here on Tuesday, and I didn't pay taxes or shipping, plus I saved a butt load of money by buying a dated (read: perfectly good for lawl school word docs and the like) machine.

Thanks frijoles99!

post script: you should know that I hold the beans on every mexican meal I order :wink:

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:36 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
trudat15 wrote:Just read through the whole thread, thanks for the info guys.

frijoles99 rocks! even if he has an uncalled for affinity for netbooks (he/she's pragmatic :) ). I'm a mac person to the core, but have gone with an Asus (see the bean man's recommendation ITT) for law school. My reasoning? I want to: a) save money; b) use Onenote; and c) catch up on changes to the windows operating system since I last abandoned it (Vista).

My Asus should be here on Tuesday, and I didn't pay taxes or shipping, plus I saved a butt load of money by buying a dated (read: perfectly good for lawl school word docs and the like) machine.

Thanks frijoles99!

post script: you should know that I hold the beans on every mexican meal I order :wink:

So I guess ppl are buying now for the start of fall. My current computer, aside from my nice work mac which will be going bye bye when I quit soon, is a 6 year old (at least) dell notebook that takes forever to load anything. I guess it's time to scour slickdeals and amazon for some good deals..

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:41 pm

Windows 7 is awesome. If you haven't used Windows in a while, it will rock your world.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:50 pm

kalvano wrote:Windows 7 is awesome. If you haven't used Windows in a while, it will rock your world.
I highly doubt it. He's been on OSX. More likely, Windows 7 will just not frustrate him like Vista did. That's what happened for me. It has a lot more featurse in common with OSX now such as it's faux-dock which make going between OSX at home and Win7 at work more comfy. Otherwise, there's absolutely nothing Win7 offers over OSX other than maybe the window edge snap thing, but that's counter-balanced by it still lacking a proper response to expose.

Edit: And yeah, I really don't get why people are buying laptops now for fall. Haven't you heard of Moore's law? We still have about a quarter of a cycle till school starts. You're either going to get better specs or cheaper prices by waiting till right before you need the thing.
Last edited by geoduck on Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:52 pm

Is anyone thinking of getting an extra monitor to use at home with your laptop? I had a couple friends in UG do this and I'd like the ability to have multiple documents open at the same time (my MBP 13" is just a little too small). Is this a worthwhile idea?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:54 pm

geoduck wrote:Edit: And yeah, I really don't get why people are buying laptops now for fall. Haven't you heard of Moore's law? We still have about a quarter of a cycle till school starts. You're either going to get better specs or cheaper prices by waiting till right before you need the thing.
But I want it NAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:55 pm

akili wrote:Is anyone thinking of getting an extra monitor to use at home with your laptop? I had a couple friends in UG do this and I'd like the ability to have multiple documents open at the same time (my MBP 13" is just a little too small). Is this a worthwhile idea?
This is a personal question that only you can answer. I really like it but if my laptop didn't have 1920x1200 resolution and couldn't display two word documents side by side I'm unsure if I would pay a couple hundred bucks for a monitor.

ns77770

Bronze

Post by ns77770 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:17 pm

akili wrote:Is anyone thinking of getting an extra monitor to use at home with your laptop? I had a couple friends in UG do this and I'd like the ability to have multiple documents open at the same time (my MBP 13" is just a little too small). Is this a worthwhile idea?
Yeah I'm going to buy an extra monitor having two screens makes things soooooooo much easier.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”