Computers for Law School 2011

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
NikaneOkie
Posts: 216
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:39 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby NikaneOkie » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:20 pm

bk1 wrote:
NikaneOkie wrote:Any disadvantage to the 13 inch air
and a monitor?


Price, lack of an optical drive, minimal specs. Other than that, go for it.


minimal specs
is the speed of the processor and limitations on hard drive space so different from the macbook pro that it's not worth it?
I really like it, and I'm willing to spend a little extra money on it, but I don't want to find that it's significantly worse than my old macbook pro.

User avatar
geoduck
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby geoduck » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:21 pm

bk1 wrote:
geoduck wrote:It depends on if you are only going to have one computer and if that computer ever needs to touch the Netflix disks. My iMac's slot has been unfilled for at least a year. The only time I needed to use a disc in all that time was with my external blu-ray burner to make a hard backup copy of a show. If you need a drive just to rip movies, nothing's stopping Air users from plugging in a drive at home. It's like another 40 bucks, but that's the price issue :D


For me personally it's more about watching DVD's when I travel (I usually bring 1-2 for the plane flight and/or the airport). If I'm at home I have plenty of devices that can play DVD's.

I can see people who are fine without an optical drive or are fine with using an external, I was merely pointing out that in certain cases not having an optical drive is a minus for the MBA.


True, but I hope the flight's not long. Actually moving things at high RPMs takes surprising amounts of energy. If you used Handbrake to turn those DVDs into files ahead of time, you'd greatly increase battery life.

User avatar
geoduck
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby geoduck » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:23 pm

NikaneOkie wrote:
bk1 wrote:
NikaneOkie wrote:Any disadvantage to the 13 inch air
and a monitor?


Price, lack of an optical drive, minimal specs. Other than that, go for it.


minimal specs
is the speed of the processor and limitations on hard drive space so different from the macbook pro that it's not worth it?
I really like it, and I'm willing to spend a little extra money on it, but I don't want to find that it's significantly worse than my old macbook pro.


Not really. The flash memory is blazingly fast. For harddrive oriented tasks, it actually beats the equivalent 13" macbook pro. If you're doing a lot of processor intense tasks, you're using it wrong.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18407
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby bk1 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:26 pm

geoduck wrote:True, but I hope the flight's not long. Actually moving things at high RPMs takes surprising amounts of energy. If you used Handbrake to turn those DVDs into files ahead of time, you'd greatly increase battery life.


Which still requires an optical drive. My laptop can power through about 3-3.5 hours of video (6 if I bring an external battery). I'm too lazy to bother burning them in (plus this is only important a few times a year) and only have a 2 disc Netflix subscription anyways.

User avatar
NikaneOkie
Posts: 216
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:39 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby NikaneOkie » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:28 pm

geoduck wrote:
NikaneOkie wrote:
bk1 wrote:
NikaneOkie wrote:Any disadvantage to the 13 inch air
and a monitor?


Price, lack of an optical drive, minimal specs. Other than that, go for it.


minimal specs
is the speed of the processor and limitations on hard drive space so different from the macbook pro that it's not worth it?
I really like it, and I'm willing to spend a little extra money on it, but I don't want to find that it's significantly worse than my old macbook pro.


Not really. The flash memory is blazingly fast. For harddrive oriented tasks, it actually beats the equivalent 13" macbook pro. If you're doing a lot of processor intense tasks, you're using it wrong.


I'll admit to that.
So basically the macbook air would be a great computer for law school if it's not too expensive and if I don't have an attachment to DVDs?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18407
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby bk1 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:29 pm

NikaneOkie wrote:I'll admit to that.
So basically the macbook air would be a great computer for law school if it's not too expensive and if I don't have an attachment to DVDs?


None of the Macbook lines are cost effective options for law school. However, if you don't mind paying the extra money for OS X and the other aesthetics/bells and whistles then go ahead and buy one.

User avatar
geoduck
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby geoduck » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:33 pm

bk1 wrote:
NikaneOkie wrote:I'll admit to that.
So basically the macbook air would be a great computer for law school if it's not too expensive and if I don't have an attachment to DVDs?


None of the Macbook lines are cost effective options for law school. However, if you don't mind paying the extra money for OS X and the other aesthetics/bells and whistles then go ahead and buy one.


+1

rebelx13
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:57 am

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby rebelx13 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:34 pm

geoduck wrote:
rebelx13 wrote:
geoduck wrote:
rebelx13 wrote:I don't want to use Pages or any other Apple Office equivalent for the following reasons "Trimmed down features of Pages versus fully fledged Office? Lack of compatibility with certain formatting? Annoyance with the layout because he is so used to Office?" The gf had constant complaints (and issues that I'd have to fix) using Pages and Office for her Mac that I don't want to spend the time again to get everything running well like I have right now on my PC. I don't mind using Google Docs, but that would require a constant internet connection. I'm sure OpenOffice has been made quicker, but from my previous experiences, it was a pain to use, so I'd like to avoid that. Basically, if it's not Office, and to a lesser extent, Google Docs, I don't want to use it. I'm sure they're great programs, but I'm picky. I do know that the school I'm looking into (Santa Clara) does offer exam software for both OSX/Windows, but nothing mentioned on other platforms, so at least both OS's seem to be supported.


You don't want a tablet. Google Docs doesn't format exactly the same way as Word either. Office doesn't either if you ever switch between versions. I can't imagine a scenario in which Pages wouldn't fulfill your day-to-day note taking and word processing needs. Word is pretty horrendously laid out (pre and post ribbon) and would be horrible to use on a small screen with your finger. And I don't just mean you don't want an iPad. You just don't want a tablet.

Judging by your post, you are one of those people who would get fed up with an iPad extremely quickly and then complain about iOS nonstop. Save yourself and those you know the pain and stick with a laptop/netbook.


If I told you I would use a keyboard exclusively for notes on an iPad, would that change your opinion about using some sort of word processing program on the iPad?


It's still going to be a tablet interface for all of your tasks not involving the actual text entry. Pages and the like are certainly powerful enough to do any word processing that you need to do and I'll be using my iPad for class notes. I think that you would not be happy with the iPad if you absolutely need an app that works exactly like standard Word. Their version of Word for Windows Phone 7 is terrible, so even if they came out with an iOS app you couldn't expect much.

EDIT: Yep Pages supports doc and docx.

--LinkRemoved--


I see what you're saying. However, I think I'd enjoy the touchscreen for everything but word processing. If I absolutely must, and there was some easy/cheap method of having an Apple based word processing (since I assume I will need to buy iWorks to get Pages to work?), I could use it as long as I can keep my formatting when transferring to a PC/Word. Is there a OneNote equivalent on a Mac?

User avatar
twozeroseven
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:02 am

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby twozeroseven » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:05 pm

On another note: need to have a printer at home or just rock the lab?

User avatar
geoduck
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby geoduck » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:08 pm

rebelx13 wrote:
geoduck wrote:
rebelx13 wrote:
geoduck wrote:
You don't want a tablet. Google Docs doesn't format exactly the same way as Word either. Office doesn't either if you ever switch between versions. I can't imagine a scenario in which Pages wouldn't fulfill your day-to-day note taking and word processing needs. Word is pretty horrendously laid out (pre and post ribbon) and would be horrible to use on a small screen with your finger. And I don't just mean you don't want an iPad. You just don't want a tablet.

Judging by your post, you are one of those people who would get fed up with an iPad extremely quickly and then complain about iOS nonstop. Save yourself and those you know the pain and stick with a laptop/netbook.


If I told you I would use a keyboard exclusively for notes on an iPad, would that change your opinion about using some sort of word processing program on the iPad?


It's still going to be a tablet interface for all of your tasks not involving the actual text entry. Pages and the like are certainly powerful enough to do any word processing that you need to do and I'll be using my iPad for class notes. I think that you would not be happy with the iPad if you absolutely need an app that works exactly like standard Word. Their version of Word for Windows Phone 7 is terrible, so even if they came out with an iOS app you couldn't expect much.

EDIT: Yep Pages supports doc and docx.

--LinkRemoved--


I see what you're saying. However, I think I'd enjoy the touchscreen for everything but word processing. If I absolutely must, and there was some easy/cheap method of having an Apple based word processing (since I assume I will need to buy iWorks to get Pages to work?), I could use it as long as I can keep my formatting when transferring to a PC/Word. Is there a OneNote equivalent on a Mac?


Um application suites don't exist for iOS. Pages is $9.99. There are other word processing apps I'm sure, but that's the best for formatting and the like. On the Mac Proper there are a few OneNoteish apps... but that's a different story. On iOS there are several decent apps for note taking and organization. Evernote(free) is pretty popular as is Penultimate(1.99) for handwriting (with a stylus of course). Right now I'm playing around with Muji Notebook(3.99) which allows handwriting, drawing and typing wherever you want.

rebelx13
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:57 am

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby rebelx13 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:31 pm

[quote="geoduckn]
Um application suites don't exist for iOS. Pages is $9.99. There are other word processing apps I'm sure, but that's the best for formatting and the like. On the Mac Proper there are a few OneNoteish apps... but that's a different story. On iOS there are several decent apps for note taking and organization. Evernote(free) is pretty popular as is Penultimate(1.99) for handwriting (with a stylus of course). Right now I'm playing around with Muji Notebook(3.99) which allows handwriting, drawing and typing wherever you want.[/quote]

Hmm, thanks for the info. I have an evernote account since they were passing out free tshirts on my campus, but never used it. I may have to consider them now.

deepspacenine
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:26 am

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby deepspacenine » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:44 am

bk1 wrote:
NikaneOkie wrote:I'll admit to that.
So basically the macbook air would be a great computer for law school if it's not too expensive and if I don't have an attachment to DVDs?


None of the Macbook lines are cost effective options for law school. However, if you don't mind paying the extra money for OS X and the other aesthetics/bells and whistles then go ahead and buy one.


I disagree, respectfully. MBP / iMacs/ and the overpriced behemoth Mac Pros yes. MacBook Air = a pretty darn good value for the size, battery, and SSD.

The MBA is an amazingly fast machine, plus by the time we enter law school the new i5s will be in the Mac Book Airs, bringing the processor on par with MBP. (I'm talking Sandy Bridge Intel chipsets too. Let's just hope they put an NVidia GPU in that, doubtful).

Anyways anyone who says you don't need much for law school and then says the MBA isn't powerful enough = wrong. Unless your gaming or ripping things on Handbrake / CS5 you wont notice a difference between the Mac Book Air processor (Core 2 Duo) and the MBP (Sandy Bridge i5/7) or even your run of the mill Dell. Where the speed really comes in handy is that SSD. Not to mention the killer battery life. That's the only reason I wan't an Air for law school. It's thin and I won't have to carry a charger with me for the entire day.

The real battle becomes do you get a Mac or PC desktop (for those who need that processor power) 8)

(Edit to ward of flames or to make sure I don't appear to be a fanboi) Yes you can get a comparably speced Dell or HP for less, that is ALWAYS the case. But for a very little bit less you won't get Apple Care or a computer that is as thin. Thin = win.

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby Adjudicator » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:10 am

deepspacenine wrote:
bk1 wrote:
NikaneOkie wrote:I'll admit to that.
So basically the macbook air would be a great computer for law school if it's not too expensive and if I don't have an attachment to DVDs?


None of the Macbook lines are cost effective options for law school. However, if you don't mind paying the extra money for OS X and the other aesthetics/bells and whistles then go ahead and buy one.


I disagree, respectfully. MBP / iMacs/ and the overpriced behemoth Mac Pros yes. MacBook Air = a pretty darn good value for the size, battery, and SSD.

The MBA is an amazingly fast machine, plus by the time we enter law school the new i5s will be in the Mac Book Airs, bringing the processor on par with MBP. (I'm talking Sandy Bridge Intel chipsets too. Let's just hope they put an NVidia GPU in that, doubtful).

Anyways anyone who says you don't need much for law school and then says the MBA isn't powerful enough = wrong. Unless your gaming or ripping things on Handbrake / CS5 you wont notice a difference between the Mac Book Air processor (Core 2 Duo) and the MBP (Sandy Bridge i5/7) or even your run of the mill Dell. Where the speed really comes in handy is that SSD. Not to mention the killer battery life. That's the only reason I wan't an Air for law school. It's thin and I won't have to carry a charger with me for the entire day.

The real battle becomes do you get a Mac or PC desktop (for those who need that processor power) 8)

(Edit to ward of flames or to make sure I don't appear to be a fanboi) Yes you can get a comparably speced Dell or HP for less, that is ALWAYS the case. But for a very little bit less you won't get Apple Care or a computer that is as thin. Thin = win.


Unsuccessful! :)

User avatar
geoduck
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby geoduck » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:48 am

Adjudicator wrote:
deepspacenine wrote:
bk1 wrote:
NikaneOkie wrote:I'll admit to that.
So basically the macbook air would be a great computer for law school if it's not too expensive and if I don't have an attachment to DVDs?


None of the Macbook lines are cost effective options for law school. However, if you don't mind paying the extra money for OS X and the other aesthetics/bells and whistles then go ahead and buy one.


I disagree, respectfully. MBP / iMacs/ and the overpriced behemoth Mac Pros yes. MacBook Air = a pretty darn good value for the size, battery, and SSD.

The MBA is an amazingly fast machine, plus by the time we enter law school the new i5s will be in the Mac Book Airs, bringing the processor on par with MBP. (I'm talking Sandy Bridge Intel chipsets too. Let's just hope they put an NVidia GPU in that, doubtful).

Anyways anyone who says you don't need much for law school and then says the MBA isn't powerful enough = wrong. Unless your gaming or ripping things on Handbrake / CS5 you wont notice a difference between the Mac Book Air processor (Core 2 Duo) and the MBP (Sandy Bridge i5/7) or even your run of the mill Dell. Where the speed really comes in handy is that SSD. Not to mention the killer battery life. That's the only reason I wan't an Air for law school. It's thin and I won't have to carry a charger with me for the entire day.

The real battle becomes do you get a Mac or PC desktop (for those who need that processor power) 8)

(Edit to ward of flames or to make sure I don't appear to be a fanboi) Yes you can get a comparably speced Dell or HP for less, that is ALWAYS the case. But for a very little bit less you won't get Apple Care or a computer that is as thin. Thin = win.


Unsuccessful! :)


At least now I really don't look like a fanboi in comparison. Now I bathe in his failure.

champsound
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:03 am

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby champsound » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:01 am

twozeroseven wrote:On another note: need to have a printer at home or just rock the lab?

Hah, I rocked the lab all through college and part of high school. Kind of a pain in the ass. Any thoughts on this? I don't think I've owned my own printer since 2004.

deepspacenine
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:26 am

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby deepspacenine » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:10 pm

geoduck wrote:At least now I really don't look like a fanboi in comparison. Now I bathe in his failure.

--ImageRemoved--

Those that turn away from him have already failed, my child.

BeachandRun23
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:20 am

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby BeachandRun23 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:39 pm

Its rumored that the macbook air will come out sometime this summer with a sandybridge processor. If so, that should greatly improve the preformance/tech specs of the beast. If it does, im pulling the trigger. Nothing better than an ultra portable laptop with strong battery life and all the power of a standard notebook.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18407
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby bk1 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:56 pm

deepspacenine wrote:I disagree, respectfully. MBP / iMacs/ and the overpriced behemoth Mac Pros yes. MacBook Air = a pretty darn good value for the size, battery, and SSD.

The MBA is an amazingly fast machine, plus by the time we enter law school the new i5s will be in the Mac Book Airs, bringing the processor on par with MBP. (I'm talking Sandy Bridge Intel chipsets too. Let's just hope they put an NVidia GPU in that, doubtful).

Anyways anyone who says you don't need much for law school and then says the MBA isn't powerful enough = wrong. Unless your gaming or ripping things on Handbrake / CS5 you wont notice a difference between the Mac Book Air processor (Core 2 Duo) and the MBP (Sandy Bridge i5/7) or even your run of the mill Dell. Where the speed really comes in handy is that SSD. Not to mention the killer battery life. That's the only reason I wan't an Air for law school. It's thin and I won't have to carry a charger with me for the entire day.

The real battle becomes do you get a Mac or PC desktop (for those who need that processor power) 8)

(Edit to ward of flames or to make sure I don't appear to be a fanboi) Yes you can get a comparably speced Dell or HP for less, that is ALWAYS the case. But for a very little bit less you won't get Apple Care or a computer that is as thin. Thin = win.


You can get a comparably powered laptop that is still slim (though not as slim as the MBA) for half the price of the MBA. 1-2 pounds, a couple fractions of an inch in width, and a SSD (or heck even an i3 or i5 over a Core 2 Duo) are not worth spending over $1000 ($1300 if you don't want to be stuck with the 11") when you can spend $500-600 on a good quality Wintel.

Is the MBA a good value? Sure if you value shaving off as much weight/size as possible there is nothing else better than an MBA. But those differences (3 pounds versus 4.5 pounds, 3/4" versus 1" width, etc) don't really matter to students when they are so minimal and they are already carrying around other crap like books whose weight just dwarfs the weight of a laptop.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18407
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby bk1 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:00 pm

twozeroseven wrote:On another note: need to have a printer at home or just rock the lab?


As someone who did both in undergrad I definitely prefer having my own printer at home. My reason being that if I needed to print at school I would have to make sure to leave early enough to get there before class and print. Because this was opposite of what I normally did (which was get to class right when it started) it was a pain to allot myself the extra time, especially if it was an early morning class.

I'd guess you don't need a printer in law school, but I personally prefer having one (though it is definitely legitimate to avoid buying one and use the school printers if you want to cut down on costs).

User avatar
Stringer6
Posts: 5865
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:45 am

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby Stringer6 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:00 pm

Its rumored that the macbook air will come out sometime this summer with a sandybridge processor. If so, that should greatly improve the preformance/tech specs of the beast. If it does, im pulling the trigger. Nothing better than an ultra portable laptop with strong battery life and all the power of a standard notebook.


i'd get it

User avatar
geoduck
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby geoduck » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:22 pm

deepspacenine wrote:
geoduck wrote:At least now I really don't look like a fanboi in comparison. Now I bathe in his failure.

--ImageRemoved--

Those that turn away from him have already failed, my child.


Yea may his light shine ever bright. I disagree not with thine path for in it I too walk. Verily it is by example and reason with which I attempt to spread His iWork. The followers of the false Steve, Steve of Ballmer, have proven hostile and unyielding to all else. For he who forsakes the Good Mac for mere Frames Per Second shall receive his punishment in the great Pit of Pestulence.

User avatar
joemoviebuff
Posts: 788
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:51 am

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby joemoviebuff » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:24 pm

bk1 wrote:
twozeroseven wrote:On another note: need to have a printer at home or just rock the lab?


As someone who did both in undergrad I definitely prefer having my own printer at home. My reason being that if I needed to print at school I would have to make sure to leave early enough to get there before class and print. Because this was opposite of what I normally did (which was get to class right when it started) it was a pain to allot myself the extra time, especially if it was an early morning class.

I'd guess you don't need a printer in law school, but I personally prefer having one (though it is definitely legitimate to avoid buying one and use the school printers if you want to cut down on costs).


If you buy any Mac, you get a free printer ($100 dollar mail-in rebate).

Just sayin'.

BeachandRun23
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:20 am

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby BeachandRun23 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:38 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:
bk1 wrote:
twozeroseven wrote:On another note: need to have a printer at home or just rock the lab?


As someone who did both in undergrad I definitely prefer having my own printer at home. My reason being that if I needed to print at school I would have to make sure to leave early enough to get there before class and print. Because this was opposite of what I normally did (which was get to class right when it started) it was a pain to allot myself the extra time, especially if it was an early morning class.

I'd guess you don't need a printer in law school, but I personally prefer having one (though it is definitely legitimate to avoid buying one and use the school printers if you want to cut down on costs).


If you buy any Mac, you get a free printer ($100 dollar mail-in rebate).

Just sayin'.


Haha. And if you wait till this summer you might get a free ipod touch as well.

So 13" macbook pro for 1199 - 100 (student discount) = 1099 + free printer + free ipod touch.

Not a bad deal.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18407
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby bk1 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:42 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:If you buy any Mac, you get a free printer ($100 dollar mail-in rebate).

Just sayin'.


These sorts of deals exist for many Wintels as well... Shocker, I know.

User avatar
geoduck
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby geoduck » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:01 pm

bk1 wrote:
joemoviebuff wrote:If you buy any Mac, you get a free printer ($100 dollar mail-in rebate).

Just sayin'.


These sorts of deals exist for many Wintels as well... Shocker, I know.


Lol they still use the term Wintel? Does that make Apple systems Mactels?




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bencr, cavalier1138 and 6 guests