Computers for Law School 2011

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
laxbrah420

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby laxbrah420 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:18 pm

Nice.
One of my users got an S so I fiddled around with it for a bit. Thing is real light and the numberpad on it is a nice addition. Problem with doing the SSD yourself is they don't give you physical media; if you have your own version of Windows, then you have no worries. But otherwise you're going to want to image that shit over.
Warranties differ from manufacturer to manufacturer. Apple only lets you do RAM by yourself but most allow you to replace whatever you want. The warranty will not cover the new component (although your new drive should come with some sort of guarantee) but everything else should still be fine. They'll generally put stickers over shit you're not supposed to touch
Last edited by laxbrah420 on Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chem

Postby chem » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:20 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:Nice.
One of my users got an S so I fiddled around with it for a bit. Thing is real light and the numberpad on it is a nice addition. Problem with doing the SSD yourself is they don't give you physical media; if you have your own version of Windows, then you have no worries. But otherwise you're going to want to image that shit over.

I have a physical copy of windows. I take it I should go for it then? Baiscally a plug, install windows, and play?

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:21 pm

chem wrote:I have a physical copy of windows. I take it I should go for it then? Baiscally a plug, install windows, and play?

Yea if the license is legit (or legit cracks) you'll be fine. Realize you're basically overpaying by $150 if you already have Windows though.

chem

Postby chem » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:23 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:
chem wrote:I have a physical copy of windows. I take it I should go for it then? Baiscally a plug, install windows, and play?

Yea if the license is legit (or legit cracks) you'll be fine. Realize you're basically overpaying by $150 if you already have Windows though.

Edit: Nevermind, that was just an upgrade. Is it hard to image over? haha

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:47 pm

chem wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:

Edit: Nevermind, that was just an upgrade. Is it hard to image over? haha

Upgrade license may work, but I'm not sure. Anyways it's easy if you can google and follow directions. You'll need something like this:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=2781
Which will be nice to have anyways because it'll turn you can use with the drive you pull out to use as an external...

This article looks decent:
http://geekyprojects.com/storage/how-to ... ler-drive/

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:51 pm

I have Windows 7 upgrade and I was able to do a fresh install on a blank HDD from it.

Also, don't you get a free upgrade for Windows 8 if you buy a new computer now?

Kring345

Postby Kring345 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:07 pm

Two questions.

1. My current laptop sounds like a jet engine. It's a Dell dv-something that is from 2009. I've lugged it to Iraq 1x and Afghanistan 2x, so it's kinda beat up. The battery last like N hour and the fan will literally be on full speed the entire time. It still rubs great though! Will a good internal cleaning and new battery likely fix both the speed and sound issues? It'd be useless for a classroom unless I was in a soundproof room with a power outlet.

2. Any good ideas for what to do with old computers? I don't game if that matters. But assuming the above mentioned computer gets replaced, I'll have an OLD but very functional desktop and a loud as fuck / shitty battery laptop. Any ideers for how to use these still. I'm thinking I may sell my laptop for like 75 bucks and upgrade my desktop to be my at-home computer. It needs to be wiped. Too many pirated programs :roll: :shock:

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:14 pm

Kring345 wrote:2. Any good ideas for what to do with old computers? I don't game if that matters. But assuming the above mentioned computer gets replaced, I'll have an OLD but very functional desktop and a loud as fuck / shitty battery laptop. Any ideers for how to use these still. I'm thinking I may sell my laptop for like 75 bucks and upgrade my desktop to be my at-home computer. It needs to be wiped. Too many pirated programs :roll: :shock:

They function well as heaters during the winter...

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:26 pm

Install linux, and use it as a media server...Clean out the dust, keep it in a cool place plugged in, and disable the fan if it continues to stay always on.

Kring345

Postby Kring345 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:03 pm

Good idea! (Both of you lol)

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:00 am

Last edited by goldeneye on Thu May 09, 2013 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:42 am

Want.

chem

Postby chem » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:58 pm

Having second thoughts about the series S. Now Im looking at the HP Envy 15. A little heavier, weighing in at 5.7 pounds, but a much better video card and better battery, not to mention a little cheaper, even with the three year super warranty thrown in. Any thoughts on that?

Operating system Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit edit
Processor 3rd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3720QM Processor (2.6 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) edit
Graphics card 1GB Radeon(TM) HD 7750M GDDR5 Graphics [HDMI, VGA] edit
Memory 8GB 1600DDR3MHz System Memory (2 Dimm) edit
Hard drive 256GB (Solid State Drive Flash Module) edit
Office software Microsoft(R) Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word/Excel(R) only, No PowerPoint(R)/Outlook(R) edit
Security software FREE 2-year Norton Internet Security subscription (a $99 value). Pre-installed. edit
Primary battery 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery - Up to 10.25 hours of battery life +++ edit
Display 15.6-inch diagonal HD BrightView LED-backlit Display (1366x768) edit
Primary optical drive SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support edit
Personalization 720p HD video streaming webcam supports Skype edit
Networking Intel 2x2 802.11a/b/g/n WLAN + Bluetooth(R) edit
Keyboard Full-size Radiance backlit keyboard edit
Included Software Bundle Adobe(R) Photoshop(R) Elements 10 & Adobe Premiere(R) Elements 10 edit
Included Warranty Services 2 year limited warranty included edit
Your additional options:
Click edit to modify. NOTE: These items are in stock and will ship immediately.
HP Care Pack Services HP 3-year Care Pack House Call Service with Accidental Damage Protection for Select Pavilion or Envy Laptop

All for a little under 2000

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:36 pm

ResolutePear wrote:Image

Want.

what is this i dont even

chem

Postby chem » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:03 pm

Operating system Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit edit
Processor 3rd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3720QM Processor (2.6 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) edit
Graphics card 1GB Radeon(TM) HD 7750M GDDR5 Graphics [HDMI, VGA] edit
Memory 8GB 1600DDR3MHz System Memory (2 Dimm) edit
Hard drive 256GB (Solid State Drive Flash Module) edit
Office software Microsoft(R) Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word/Excel(R) only, No PowerPoint(R)/Outlook(R) edit
Security software FREE 2-year Norton Internet Security subscription (a $99 value). Pre-installed. edit
Primary battery 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery - Up to 10.25 hours of battery life +++ edit
Display 15.6-inch diagonal Infinity HD LED-backlit Display (1080P) edit
Primary optical drive SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support edit
Personalization 720p HD video streaming webcam supports Skype edit
Networking Intel 2x2 802.11a/b/g/n WLAN + Bluetooth(R) edit
Keyboard Full-size Radiance backlit keyboard edit
Included Software Bundle Adobe(R) Photoshop(R) Elements 10 & Adobe Premiere(R) Elements 10 edit
Included Warranty Services 2 year limited warranty included edit
Your additional options:
Click edit to modify. NOTE: These items are in stock and will ship immediately.
HP Care Pack Services HP 3-year Care Pack House Call Service with Accidental Damage Protection for Select Pavilion or Envy Laptop

Pulled the trigger. Found a 33% off coupon, NBG5247, so it came out to 1600 including tax. If anyone else wants an HP, that coupon lasts until June 13th

z0rk

Postby z0rk » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:58 pm

ResolutePear wrote:Image

Want.

That is insane, are those four cards running SLI across all of them? Or is it two pairs each running SLI? I have never run a crossfire or SLI configuration so pardon me if I sound like I don't know what I am talking about (not a gamer, but like building me some powerful workstations).

Just put together the following build, and seeking a modest laptop to accomodate the power at home:

AMD FX 6100 Zambezi
16 GB of G. Skill DDR 3 RAM
120 GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
Windows 7 Pro on the SSD
1/2 TB Drive
1 x GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Saphire Radeon 7750
750 W non modular PSU.
Right now on my old 19 inch monitor, I will be purchasing two 23 inch monitors for dual screen use.

Considering purchasing the Lenovo 430. Any thoughts? Not looking for a lot of power on the go, just versatility, durability, and the ability to take good notes in class. Not looking to spend more than $600.00 on the laptop considering the fact that I have a powerhouse at home.

Also, any thoughts on using dragon naturally to record class lectures and compile transcripts? Someone at work suggested doing that for meetings and it got me thinking about using this in other ways for law school. Not sure if having a full transcript will be helpful, but it could help me revisit professor comments word-for-word (kind of excessive, but there may be that rare ocassion when it's helpful).

Ded Precedent

Postby Ded Precedent » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:23 am

chem wrote:Now Im looking at the HP Envy 15.

I'm looking at the Envy 15 too. What are your thoughts on it so far?

chem

Postby chem » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:39 pm

Ded Precedent wrote:

Lovin it. Its light, keyboard is really nice. Trackpad takes some getting used to honestly, it takes a little more pressure then usual to click

PaulKriske

Postby PaulKriske » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:42 pm

so, i have $2500 to spend on a laptop.

i've been building and building on apple, xoticpc, originpc, dell, etc. and i cannot for the life of me get it below $3000 including warranty.

i will be gaming, and i want to get as top of the line as possible for my money now so i really don't need shit for 3/4 years.

i'm currently on a macbook, and the new mbp is hot as shit, but it's basically non-upgradable and overpriced. thus, i'm willing to go either way.

what should i focus on and what should i sacrifice in my build?

i realize a desktop is much better but i need the portability.

thanks!

PK

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:52 pm

chem wrote:
Ded Precedent wrote:

Lovin it. Its light, keyboard is really nice. Trackpad takes some getting used to honestly, it takes a little more pressure then usual to click

Is it me or does the Envy get really hot? I'm talking about just typing on it after watching a video on Hulu.

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:00 pm

PaulKriske wrote:so, i have $2500 to spend on a laptop.

i've been building and building on apple, xoticpc, originpc, dell, etc. and i cannot for the life of me get it below $3000 including warranty.

I've never made use of a warrant on any laptop I've owned ( Sony, Dell, Toshiba, Mac, or Lenovo ). I think that would be money wasted. Then again, I buy a new laptop every 2 years.

PaulKriske wrote:i will be gaming, and i want to get as top of the line as possible for my money now so i really don't need shit for 3/4 years.

i'm currently on a macbook, and the new mbp is hot as shit, but it's basically non-upgradable and overpriced. thus, i'm willing to go either way.

Depends on the type of games you're playing. I'm into strategy so the games are CPU intensive. If you like shooters or other GPU intensive games you might want to splurge on a GFX card. SSD is a must though.

PaulKriske

Postby PaulKriske » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:02 pm

DildaMan wrote:
PaulKriske wrote:i will be gaming, and i want to get as top of the line as possible for my money now so i really don't need shit for 3/4 years.

Depends on the type of games you're playing. I'm into strategy so the games are CPU intensive. If you like shooters or other GPU intensive games you might want to splurge on a GFX card. SSD is a must though.

meh, i've made out like a bandit with my old warranty, so that's worth ~230 ish for me.

i'm thinking shooters and d3 at the start, though. i know i want at least a 2gb graphics card.

the issue is the SSD. i was thinking about having two HDs, one for my OS and cache and the other for my files, but that shit is expensive.

plus, it's like impossible to build a laptop on your own like a desktop.

shit's frustrating.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:27 pm

chem wrote:
Ded Precedent wrote:

Just got my Envy 15 yesterday. Loving it so far. The trackpad is ok. (I SUCK at trackpads in general, so I'm barely functional with it, but it's a lot better than on my old Pavilion that I couldn't use at all. I can manage with this one, although I'll be carrying a mouse around like a big dork.)

I'm getting used to the keyboard, but I think it'll be a minor adjustment. Love the backlit keys. Overall the design is almost Mac-like in terms of minimalist elegance.

The screen is lovely (upgraded to 1080p), and the sound is great (the reviews said it was basically the best audio ever in a laptop). My only complaint is that a blu-ray drive wasn't an option, which seems stupid. And the black aluminum lid gets smudgy from my fingers if my hands are not 100% freshly washed.

I haven't had it on my lap for any extended period yet, but supposedly they improved the heat problem from the original Envies.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:31 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
I haven't had it on my lap for any extended period yet, but supposedly they improved the heat problem from the original Envies.

As an owner of a two year old Envy 17, I hope so.

llachans

Postby llachans » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:56 pm

Hey guys! I have two computer-related questions.

1. What is the difference between Macbook Air and Macbook Pro?
2. Is a 15 inch screen worth extra money over a 13 inch screen? I've been told by law students that it's essential to have a big enough screen to open multiple windows at a time, especially during exam-taking.

Input would be fantastic. Thank you!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”