Computers for Law School 2011

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ResolutePear

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby ResolutePear » Sun May 06, 2012 4:56 pm

beachbum wrote:
LockBox wrote:
beachbum wrote:Ugh. It is difficult to put into words how much I regret buying a Lenovo. Will not be making the same mistake twice, though.

Can you elaborate? I just bought a U400 and wanted to see if going Lenovo was a mistake...

Well, the problems started with the solid state drive that failed after a little less than a year. (I'm told I shouldn't blame Lenovo for this, but it was still pretty frustrating). I called Lenovo for a replacement, and I was promptly sent a standard hard drive. I was also sent the wrong version of Windows as a replacement (32-bit, as opposed to the 64-bit I had originally purchased).

I had immediate need of a laptop, so I was forced to install the hard drive and Windows. Now my computer is noticeably slower, and I guess the extra money I had originally paid to upgrade to a solid state drive and to a better version of Windows was for nothing?

Now Lenovo is threatening to charge me for the defective drive if I don't return it. Of course, they didn't send any return packaging or labels, so I had to spend the time and money to purchase shipping from USPS.

And that's about where I am today: with a slower computer and with a lot of wasted money. Beyond the headaches with the hard drive and with customer service, though, the computer itself just doesn't seem that great. I mean, it's not bad, but I don't see the justification for its price relative to other computers. Lenovo likes to trumpet its superior build quality and superior customer service, but I've found both of these things to be sorely lacking.

FWIW, I have a T410. Maybe other models are different. But I'm not gonna risk another Lenovo purchase in the future.

Seems very odd that they would send an HDD to replace a SSD. What's the deal with that?

And yeah, you shouldn't really blame Lenovo for SSDs. SSD's have only recently gotten better reliability. It's like buying a 95-98 Mitsubishi Eclipse. Sure, it's very fast. When it runs. At any rate, I don't think that they honored their warranty as you're not whole yet.

victortsoi

Postby victortsoi » Sun May 06, 2012 5:13 pm

I'm really interested in the 13" vs 15" MBP debate. I'm also waiting till june for the next iteration to come out. I've had the 13" MBP but am curious as to whether the extra screen space = better grades on exams, which is really what we should be caring about, IMO

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun May 06, 2012 5:26 pm

I'll second Beachbum. I'm not really pleased with my Lenovo either. No hardware problems like his. It's just very slow, like it isn't making full use of the processing power and RAM. The trackpad is mediocre as well. Plus, the battery life is atrocious and the screen is very, very easily scratched.

The keyboard is great, as is the mouse nubbin. And it's damn near indestructible.

But overall, I wish I had purchased an Asus or something else.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Sun May 06, 2012 5:44 pm

kalvano wrote:I'll second Beachbum. I'm not really pleased with my Lenovo either. No hardware problems like his. It's just very slow, like it isn't making full use of the processing power and RAM. The trackpad is mediocre as well. Plus, the battery life is atrocious and the screen is very, very easily scratched.

The keyboard is great, as is the mouse nubbin. And it's damn near indestructible.

The only difference between the lenovo and the asus is the motherboard... try updating your bios/chipset if you really feel you're missing something.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun May 06, 2012 6:21 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:
kalvano wrote:I'll second Beachbum. I'm not really pleased with my Lenovo either. No hardware problems like his. It's just very slow, like it isn't making full use of the processing power and RAM. The trackpad is mediocre as well. Plus, the battery life is atrocious and the screen is very, very easily scratched.

The only difference between the lenovo and the asus is the motherboard... try updating your bios/chipset if you really feel you're missing something.

I have. I even wiped off all the Lenovo junkware. It's just not a very well-made computer.

And while that may be the only difference on paper, my wife's Asus feels and responds much faster than my Lenovo.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Sun May 06, 2012 6:23 pm

weird. could heat be an issue?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun May 06, 2012 7:04 pm

No. It's just not a well-made laptop.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Sun May 06, 2012 7:06 pm

:lol: Are you joking?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun May 06, 2012 7:11 pm

No, I'm not joking. It's not a well-made laptop. Before I wiped it down and reinstalled Windows, it took almost 4 minutes after Windows booted up before it was usable. I could click on the Firefox icon and leave the room to go grab a drink and when I got back, Firefox still would not have come up. It's better now but not by much. That's just one complaint amongst many.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Sun May 06, 2012 7:15 pm

What did you major in that caused you to think so strangely?

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Sun May 06, 2012 8:25 pm

kalvano wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:

I have. I even wiped off all the Lenovo junkware. It's just not a very well-made computer.

And while that may be the only difference on paper, my wife's Asus feels and responds much faster than my Lenovo.

Which processor is it rocking?

I'll bet an SSD would solve most of the slowdown problems.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun May 06, 2012 9:56 pm

I've built my own computers before. I was fucking around with computers probably before you were born. I know when a computer is doing what it's supposed to and when it's not. The Lenovo is not a good computer. I don't understand why you all are so intent on proving otherwise.

It's got 3 GB RAM and an i5, with a 5400 RPM drive. My wife's Asus with the same specs does everything significantly faster. My desktop, with much worse specs, does it faster. It came from the factory like that. I've messed with BIOS, I've reinstalled Windows, I've done pretty much everything. It's just a shitty computer. Of course an SSD would make it faster, that's like saying putting a supercharger on a car will make it faster. It's painfully slower than it should be with the components it has.

There is no reason other than shitty components that it would take so long to be functional once it has booted up.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Sun May 06, 2012 10:09 pm

Awesome, now you're mad. I just love how you know it's not heat (a byproduct of shitty construction), just the objective property of shittiness that could slow it down. Why not at least try reapplying the thermal paste on it?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun May 06, 2012 10:50 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:Awesome, now you're mad. I just love how you know it's not heat (a byproduct of shitty construction), just the objective property of shittiness that could slow it down. Why not at least try reapplying the thermal paste on it?

Why should I have to reapply thermal paste? That would be the essence of a shitty computer, buying a pre-made laptop in which something as fundamental as thermal paste is not right. That's exceedingly easy to do. If I wanted to apply thermal paste, I would have built my own.

And apparently you missed my other laundry list of complaints. Thermal paste isn't going to fix the shitty response time, the shitty trackpad, the shitty battery, or the shitty screen. None of this is particularly hard to do well. If I'm spending $700 on a laptop, it ought to do basic things well, like be functional after boot-up in less than 4 minutes, or have a trackpad that responds to touch, or a battery that lasts longer than 75 minutes.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Sun May 06, 2012 11:09 pm

kalvano wrote:I've built my own computers before. I was fucking around with computers probably before you were born. I know when a computer is doing what it's supposed to and when it's not. The Lenovo is not a good computer. I don't understand why you all are so intent on proving otherwise.

It's got 3 GB RAM and an i5, with a 5400 RPM drive. My wife's Asus with the same specs does everything significantly faster. My desktop, with much worse specs, does it faster. It came from the factory like that. I've messed with BIOS, I've reinstalled Windows, I've done pretty much everything. It's just a shitty computer. Of course an SSD would make it faster, that's like saying putting a supercharger on a car will make it faster. It's painfully slower than it should be with the components it has.

There is no reason other than shitty components that it would take so long to be functional once it has booted up.

Well, we're talking about basic usage. Most people won't put a supercharger to improve daily driving. An SSD would make a world of a difference in daily usage. It would cut down on boot and load times by quite a bit and prevent your notebook from becoming an oversized, overpriced paperweight. SSDs are cheap these days. Seems to be a deal on one of them going on at least once a week on slickdeals. But you seem to be aiming toward getting a new notebook altogether.

I plan to keep using my Envy 14 for a couple more years if possible even as it's about to turn 2 years old soon. I'm glad I spent a little extra for it over alternatives that were around. The warranty should pad me over another year in case something crops up. Except for a boot-up issue which I solved during the first month I bought it, it's still running fast to this day. The SSD I installed was more so a luxury especially with the processor and the stock hard drive already being fast enough. Haven't had a single problem, hoping it stays that way for long while.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun May 06, 2012 11:24 pm

My issue isn't how much better it would be with an SSD. It's that the parts it came with aren't performing like they should.

But no, I don't plan on keeping this after school. I'll probably donate it somewhere and pick up an Ultrabook. I like the look of the Folio 13.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Sun May 06, 2012 11:32 pm

kalvano wrote:My issue isn't how much better it would be with an SSD. It's that the parts it came with aren't performing like they should.

But no, I don't plan on keeping this after school. I'll probably donate it somewhere and pick up an Ultrabook. I like the look of the Folio 13.

The Folio looks great, but I'm not hearing too many good things about the touchpad. Just really wish there were a PC company out there that knew how to design a good touchpad and touchpad software.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun May 06, 2012 11:34 pm

zeth006 wrote:
kalvano wrote:My issue isn't how much better it would be with an SSD. It's that the parts it came with aren't performing like they should.

The Folio looks great, but I'm not hearing too many good things about the touchpad. Just really wish there were a PC company out there that knew how to design a good touchpad and touchpad software.

All PC touchpads suck next to a Mac touchpad. Sometimes I think I will just buy an Air and delete OSX and put on Windows and have the best of both worlds.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Sun May 06, 2012 11:41 pm

kalvano wrote:
zeth006 wrote:

All PC touchpads suck next to a Mac touchpad. Sometimes I think I will just buy an Air and delete OSX and put on Windows and have the best of both worlds.

I think installing Windows and getting rid of OSX would create new problems. The touchpad software is built into OSX. Deleting OSX and installing Windows would only bring back the problem as Windows' default touchpad software is unable to replicate OSX's. You'd lose two-finger scroll, multi-finger gestures, and the disable-while-typing feature. I'd say just get the Air and learn to use OSX. You'll love inertial scrolling.

I find it really funny that HP (and probably other PC manufacturers) is inconsistent with the quality of their touchpad software. Dad's $400 HP's touchpad runs fine. Two-finger scrolling isn't smooth, but it works. But more importantly, the touchpad doesn't interfere with typing when you palm hits it. Not so with my Envy 14 which retailed for $1,000+. You have to use 3rd party non-HP software written by geeks to get it to work properly. You would think HP would get such a basic feature down in a premium notebook line.
Last edited by zeth006 on Sun May 06, 2012 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun May 06, 2012 11:45 pm

Windows supports multi-touch gestures, two-finger scrolling, etc.

My problem is the actual feel of the touchpad, it's terrible on a PC compared to a Mac.

But I hate OSX.

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Mon May 07, 2012 12:50 am

kalvano wrote:My problem is the actual feel of the touchpad, it's terrible on a PC compared to a Mac.

Touchpad, I think, is the only reason why I'm still using a mac.

albanach

Postby albanach » Mon May 07, 2012 5:07 pm

For crying out loud, why pay a premium if it's not to take advantage of the warranty. If it takes four minutes to be usable and you've not installed something to cause that yourself, something's clearly broken, so file a warranty claim.

I have a T420s with a core i5 processor and no SSD. It takes 1m35s to go from power off to Windows 7 loaded, connected to the network, logged in to skype and with Firefox and Word started. That time includes the time needed to enter my password at the login screen.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon May 07, 2012 5:15 pm

albanach wrote:

For crying out loud, why pay a premium if it's not to take advantage of the warranty. If it takes four minutes to be usable and you've not installed something to cause that yourself, something's clearly broken, so file a warranty claim.

I have a T420s with a core i5 processor and no SSD. It takes 1m35s to go from power off to Windows 7 loaded, connected to the network, logged in to skype and with Firefox and Word started. That time includes the time needed to enter my password at the login screen.

I did make a warranty claim. They could find nothing wrong with it, according to them.

albanach

Postby albanach » Mon May 07, 2012 5:18 pm

kalvano wrote:
I did make a warranty claim. They could find nothing wrong with it, according to them.

Then fight. File a BBB report. Ask your credit card firm to issue a chargeback. Install some performance monitoring tools and check the values that are returned. Ask on the Lenovo forums to see what other users with the same exact laptop see.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon May 07, 2012 5:20 pm

albanach wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Then fight. File a BBB report. Ask your credit card firm to issue a chargeback. Install some performance monitoring tools and check the values that are returned. Ask on the Lenovo forums to see what other users with the same exact laptop see.

It's a 2 year old laptop. There is no issuing a chargeback. Nor do I care enough to devote that much energy to it. I approach it from the fact that I have about 40-50 more years of buying electronics, and Lenovo won't be getting any more of my money. I've made the problem not as bad by completely stripping down the machine and reinstalling everything, and that's as much time as I am willing to devote to it. I have a desktop that I use at home, so this is purely a machine for school only.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”