Computers for Law School 2011

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby Knock » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:06 pm

soj wrote:Posting here to keep track of good deals. I want a durable PC with a great keyboard and at least a 13" screen, preferably 14+". Light and thin is also high on the list of preferences. Will keep my eye peeled for a deal on the T-420s.


The Barnes and Noble Deal has the T420s for something like $879 (plus free standard shipping).

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby soj » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:09 pm

Knock wrote:
soj wrote:Posting here to keep track of good deals. I want a durable PC with a great keyboard and at least a 13" screen, preferably 14+". Light and thin is also high on the list of preferences. Will keep my eye peeled for a deal on the T-420s.


The Barnes and Noble Deal has the T420s for something like $879 (plus free standard shipping).

Is it the same link from a few pages ago, or a different link? The old one doesn't work anymore for me.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:17 pm

Expect liquidation prices by HP in the coming months as they try to sell off their hardware.

Expect lackluster support for said products.

deepspacenine
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:26 am

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby deepspacenine » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:02 pm

Mac users: What kind of task tracking/homework/etc. solution are you going to use for law school? I use iCal and iCal tasks heavily (sync with MobileMe to iPhone/iPad). I know I'll continue to use iCal for reminders and events but I'm thinking it may not be enough to track what HW is due on what day, what academic and extracurricular "action items" I need to do, etc.

Things.app is a beautiful app I've used before but it's expensive for iPhone/iPad and the syncing is nonexistent to crappy.

Any good app/system recommendations??

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby zeth006 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:42 pm

ResolutePear wrote:Expect liquidation prices by HP in the coming months as they try to sell off their hardware.

Expect lackluster support for said products.


Indeed. See $100-150 Touchpad tablet prices.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby Knock » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:03 pm

zeth006 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:Expect liquidation prices by HP in the coming months as they try to sell off their hardware.

Expect lackluster support for said products.


Indeed. See $100-150 Touchpad tablet prices.


Do you guys think it is worth snagging one of those?

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2836
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby haus » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:11 pm

Knock wrote:
zeth006 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:Expect liquidation prices by HP in the coming months as they try to sell off their hardware.

Expect lackluster support for said products.


Indeed. See $100-150 Touchpad tablet prices.


Do you guys think it is worth snagging one of those?


As with many things in life, it depends. I suspect that it will provide as a reasonable web surfing platform, but it seems unlikely that it will draw much development support since HP killed it with very few in the wild.

I would not count on much for updates to the web browser or other software that is on the box, and any bugs that remain (which are likely a lot since this is a brand new use for this OS) will likely never be fixed.

If I had a lot of free time, and one were given to me I would likely enjoy playing around with it. Of the iPad competitors this was the one that I felt had the most promise. But I do not have that much free time, and the HP will likely only serve as a reminder of what might have been.

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby zeth006 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:37 pm

haus wrote:
Knock wrote:
zeth006 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:Expect liquidation prices by HP in the coming months as they try to sell off their hardware.

Expect lackluster support for said products.


Indeed. See $100-150 Touchpad tablet prices.


Do you guys think it is worth snagging one of those?


As with many things in life, it depends. I suspect that it will provide as a reasonable web surfing platform, but it seems unlikely that it will draw much development support since HP killed it with very few in the wild.

I would not count on much for updates to the web browser or other software that is on the box, and any bugs that remain (which are likely a lot since this is a brand new use for this OS) will likely never be fixed.

If I had a lot of free time, and one were given to me I would likely enjoy playing around with it. Of the iPad competitors this was the one that I felt had the most promise. But I do not have that much free time, and the HP will likely only serve as a reminder of what might have been.


If I had a lot of time, I'd get one, flash (or port? That depends too) Android onto it and put any updates from the likes of the xda community. I've flashed a smartphone before, but never a tablet. I wouldn't be the least surprised if we were to learn it's doable with this puppy.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:43 pm

At 100 bucks, you're getting a kindle... that can do more than a kindle, at a price less than that of a kindle.

Come on, who are you guys kidding.

I picked one up. Wish there was Netflix and Spotify, but I'll live for 80% off a tablet.

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2836
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby haus » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:16 pm

ResolutePear wrote:At 100 bucks, you're getting a kindle... that can do more than a kindle, at a price less than that of a kindle.

Come on, who are you guys kidding.

I picked one up. Wish there was Netflix and Spotify, but I'll live for 80% off a tablet.


Like a kindle but with a lot more bugs and no future software updates.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby kalvano » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:18 pm

ResolutePear wrote:At 100 bucks, you're getting a kindle... that can do more than a kindle, at a price less than that of a kindle.

Come on, who are you guys kidding.

I picked one up. Wish there was Netflix and Spotify, but I'll live for 80% off a tablet.



E-INK screen for the win. Suck it, you salacious raconteur.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:28 pm

kalvano wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:At 100 bucks, you're getting a kindle... that can do more than a kindle, at a price less than that of a kindle.

Come on, who are you guys kidding.

I picked one up. Wish there was Netflix and Spotify, but I'll live for 80% off a tablet.



E-INK screen for the win. Suck it, you salacious raconteur.


Wasn't sure they made a netflix app for the Kindle. 8)

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2836
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby haus » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:45 pm

ResolutePear wrote:Wasn't sure they made a netflix app for the Kindle. 8)


Forget about HD, ASCII Star Wars, FTW!

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby Sandro » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:07 am

Damnit. I can't believe I missed one for 99 bucks. Fckin law school.

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby zeth006 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:37 am

ResolutePear wrote:At 100 bucks, you're getting a kindle... that can do more than a kindle, at a price less than that of a kindle.

Come on, who are you guys kidding.

I picked one up. Wish there was Netflix and Spotify, but I'll live for 80% off a tablet.


Just one problem on my end. I wouldn't know what to do with it.... :?

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:39 am

zeth006 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:At 100 bucks, you're getting a kindle... that can do more than a kindle, at a price less than that of a kindle.

Come on, who are you guys kidding.

I picked one up. Wish there was Netflix and Spotify, but I'll live for 80% off a tablet.


Just one problem on my end. I wouldn't know what to do with it.... :?


Welcome to the ipad condition.

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby kazu » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:42 am

ResolutePear wrote:
kalvano wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:At 100 bucks, you're getting a kindle... that can do more than a kindle, at a price less than that of a kindle.

Come on, who are you guys kidding.

I picked one up. Wish there was Netflix and Spotify, but I'll live for 80% off a tablet.



E-INK screen for the win. Suck it, you salacious raconteur.


Wasn't sure they made a netflix app for the Kindle. 8)

I would hate trying to read for hours on end from a computer screen. Tablet PC =/= Kindle.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby Dany » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:56 am

kazu wrote:I would hate trying to read for hours on end from a computer screen. Tablet PC =/= Kindle.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:00 am

kazu wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
kalvano wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:At 100 bucks, you're getting a kindle... that can do more than a kindle, at a price less than that of a kindle.

Come on, who are you guys kidding.

I picked one up. Wish there was Netflix and Spotify, but I'll live for 80% off a tablet.



E-INK screen for the win. Suck it, you salacious raconteur.


Wasn't sure they made a netflix app for the Kindle. 8)

I would hate trying to read for hours on end from a computer screen. Tablet PC =/= Kindle.


I would hate to read for hours on end, period.

hankkingsley
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby hankkingsley » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:21 am

Anyone with a Lenovo T420s have problems with a constant and loud fan?

This thread seems to show it's a widespread problem.

User avatar
kazu
Posts: 1602
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby kazu » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:06 am

ResolutePear wrote:
kazu wrote:I would hate trying to read for hours on end from a computer screen. Tablet PC =/= Kindle.


I would hate to read for hours on end, period.

Yeah... I do that for fun :oops:

Just wanted to point out that if you want a serious reading device, a tablet PC is not the way to go - no matter how cheap it is.

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby fingersxd » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:55 pm

What about the ThinkPad W510 vs. the T420? I prefer a 15' screen, but could live without it.

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby zeth006 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:11 pm

Update: We may see Android get ported over to the Touchpad. Not too shabby considering the number of apps you will be able to download:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/238617/t ... #tk.hp_pop

User avatar
Naked Dude
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby Naked Dude » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:58 pm

man if you could get netflix to run on the touchpad, it would be an epic steal

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby ResolutePear » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:42 am

Just got a spreadsheet of touchpads shipped back to HP, and website changed to reflect incoming shipments. Stay tuned to the website if you want one!




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: houritsu, luckydayahead, Mr. October, NUDad, ss12345 and 10 guests