Computers for Law School 2011

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Knock

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby Knock » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:16 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Knock wrote:
Nanosoft wrote:From what I remember when I was researching, the T420s is just smaller and lighter (And also comes with one USB 3.0 port).

Thanks. What do you think about the Lenovo Ideapad Y570. i7 processor for $900. Do you guys think that 15.6" is going to be a bit big for hauling it to class everyday?

Get a Thinkpad, don't even look at the Ideapad's. The build quality is terrible in comparison.

Really? Thanks for the tip. Besides a Thinkpad, what other laptops do you recommend?

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:17 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Knock wrote:
Nanosoft wrote:From what I remember when I was researching, the T420s is just smaller and lighter (And also comes with one USB 3.0 port).

Thanks. What do you think about the Lenovo Ideapad Y570. i7 processor for $900. Do you guys think that 15.6" is going to be a bit big for hauling it to class everyday?

Get a Thinkpad, don't even look at the Ideapad's. The build quality is terrible in comparison.

This. Spring for the Thinkpad. You don't even need an s, since you'll be lugging around 100 lbs of books anyways.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:19 pm

Knock wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
Knock wrote:

Really? Thanks for the tip. Besides a Thinkpad, what other laptops do you recommend?

Thinkpad or Macbook.

Once you go outside of those two, it comes down to price and your preferences. Thinkpads are an entire line, and they have something for everybody.

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:55 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
Knock wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
Knock wrote:

Thinkpad or Macbook.

Once you go outside of those two, it comes down to price and your preferences. Thinkpads are an entire line, and they have something for everybody.

Is the build quality of Ideapad that bad? I actually found a 14.1" one that seems to tick all the boxes for me, but I don't want a laptop that's going to break down on me. Here's the one I liked: http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/cont ... de=085526U

If you really advise against the Ideapad, are there other brands with similar specs to that one?

hankkingsley

Postby hankkingsley » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:39 pm

Anyone buying a Lenovo through the B&N site (or through the regular Lenovo site): You can get an additional $150 off $999 minimum purchase (Amex statement credit, not directly off the initial price) if you buy with Amex and link your card through the Amex facebook site. Deal is good through August 31.

Go here: https://www.facebook.com/americanexpres ... 2075054740
Like the page and be sure to link your Amex to your facebook account.

Scroll down the deal list and look for the Lenovo deal, then hit the "Add to Card" button for that deal.

As long as you purchase directly through Lenovo (can't buy a Lenovo through another site like Amazon or BB), use your Amex to pay, and final price is $999 minimum, you should get the Amex statement credit.

I've done many of these Amex statement credit deals in the past and never had a problem. Be sure and do the Amex link to Facebook before you make the purchase though. Not retroactive either, so you're out of luck if you already bought...although you could always return and make a new purchase if you're so inclined.

Most Amex purchases also have the 1 yr additional warranty tacked on as well, so you'll get that if your card has it.

deepspacenine

Postby deepspacenine » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:23 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
Miznitic wrote:

"Web App" = :roll:

This isn't 2005, sir.

Cloud-up for move out of the way. But, hey.. for the sake of conversation: What do you need from the native app that the web app doesn't provide?

Some of us are philosophically opposed to vendor lockin, which the web only accelerates. Heck, HP is shutting up shop and bending to the will of the almighty cloud. In ten years you'll probably have the post-PC choice between Google, Apple, and Microsoft cloud/walled garden options with limited data access or transport ability.

Add in the decline of hardware based/system agnostic offerings and you have a rather dystopian situation. Plus, to think of a world where kids can't build their own gaming machines saddens me. And I type this on an MBA with an iPad next to me, so I relish the irony.

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:52 pm

What do you guys think about the size differences of the T420 and the X220? The 14 inches seems like it would be easier for reading documents, especially if I tried to read two documents side by side. But on the other hand, that might be a little big, and the 12.5 inches of the X220 may be more convenient to use in class and haul to school.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:04 pm

Knock wrote:What do you guys think about the size differences of the T420 and the X220? The 14 inches seems like it would be easier for reading documents, especially if I tried to read two documents side by side. But on the other hand, that might be a little big, and the 12.5 inches of the X220 may be more convenient to use in class and haul to school.

You're splitting hairs at this point. 14 inches is perfect for me because I can have two docs open side by side and read them perfectly. 12.5 I wouldn't be able to do this. In LS, it's helpful to have one window with reading notes and one with class notes open.

albanach

Postby albanach » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:42 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Knock wrote:What do you guys think about the size differences of the T420 and the X220? The 14 inches seems like it would be easier for reading documents, especially if I tried to read two documents side by side. But on the other hand, that might be a little big, and the 12.5 inches of the X220 may be more convenient to use in class and haul to school.

You're splitting hairs at this point. 14 inches is perfect for me because I can have two docs open side by side and read them perfectly. 12.5 I wouldn't be able to do this. In LS, it's helpful to have one window with reading notes and one with class notes open.

I agree that's helpful. Fortunately for those who own them, you can extend your desktop onto an iPad for a portable dual monitor setup.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:22 pm

albanach wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

I agree that's helpful. Fortunately for those who own them, you can extend your desktop onto an iPad for a portable dual monitor setup.

Not that I'd inflict this on any reasonable person.. but the HP Touchpad is going on sale at BestBuy and HP/HPA for 99 bucks. I believe they are halting operations with webOS, so support will be very limited.

Still, those looking for a portable web browser.. there you go. No netflix, from what I hear. You get Hulu(Lulz), though.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:26 pm

Also, while we're on the subject of HP:
http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/18/technol ... /index.htm

Enjoy.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:02 am

beach_terror wrote:

What about the T420 and the T420s? I think I want to go with the 14".

How are Asus in build quality? Which of their product lines is worth looking into?

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:09 am

Knock wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

How are Asus in build quality? Which of their product lines is worth looking into?

It's not splitting hairs between the X220 and T420.

The X220 has a really narrow depth. Because of this, your palms will be resting on the table and you will be typing in a great position to develop carpal tunnel.

Get the T series. it's the perfect size imo.

The differences as stated above between the T420 and T420S (SLIM) is that the S series has USB 3.0 and it is thinner and lighter. If you have the money go for the S. If not the T420 is definitely portable enough.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:23 pm

typ3 wrote:
Knock wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

The X220 has a really narrow depth. Because of this, your palms will be resting on the table and you will be typing in a great position to develop carpal tunnel.

The differences as stated above between the T420 and T420S (SLIM) is that the S series has USB 3.0 and it is thinner and lighter. If you have the money go for the S. If not the T420 is definitely portable enough.

Thanks. What do you know about Asus? Are any of the Sony Vaio's worth looking at?

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:34 pm

Knock wrote:
typ3 wrote:
Knock wrote:
beach_terror wrote:You're splitting hairs at this point. 14 inches is perfect for me because I can have two docs open side by side and read them perfectly. 12.5 I wouldn't be able to do this. In LS, it's helpful to have one window with reading notes and one with class notes open.

Thanks. What do you know about Asus? Are any of the Sony Vaio's worth looking at?

"It depends."

You're not going to get an objective answer. We recommend macbooks and thinkpads because thinkpads are the defacto standard in the business world while others find OSX much easier to deal with, so they get a macbook.

Everything else, you'll have to do research and see if it makes sense to buy it.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:39 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
Knock wrote:
typ3 wrote:
Knock wrote:

"It depends."

You're not going to get an objective answer. We recommend macbooks and thinkpads because thinkpads are the defacto standard in the business world while others find OSX much easier to deal with, so they get a macbook.

Everything else, you'll have to do research and see if it makes sense to buy it.

What about the build quality of Asus? Should I avoid them like I hear about the Ideapad?

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:45 pm

ResolutePear wrote:"It depends."

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:48 pm

ResolutePear wrote:

On what?

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:50 pm

Knock wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

On what?

You.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:50 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
Knock wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

On what?

You.

:?:

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:54 pm

Knock wrote: :?:

Preferences, build, price, features, etc.

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:55 pm

I got a deal on an ASUS so I jumped on it. I'm already looking forward to buying a Thinkpad a year from now (I figure I have to put up with the ASUS for at least a year . . .).

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:56 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:I got a deal on an ASUS so I jumped on it. I'm already looking forward to buying a Thinkpad a year from now (I figure I have to put up with the ASUS for at least a year . . .).

Which model did you get? You really don't like it that much??

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:00 pm

Knock wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:I got a deal on an ASUS so I jumped on it. I'm already looking forward to buying a Thinkpad a year from now (I figure I have to put up with the ASUS for at least a year . . .).

Which model did you get? You really don't like it that much??

This is the model: ASU UL30VTX1K.

I am coming from a Mac Book Pro (15 inch matte screen) that I had used for about four years. The build quality of the Asus is blah.

Here are the things I don't like about the ASUS:
* Horrible screen
* Horrible track pad
* Stupid row of buttons down the right side of the keyboard

Other than these three issues, the machine is great. But these three issues are enough to bug me.

soj

Postby soj » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:06 pm

Posting here to keep track of good deals. I want a durable PC with a great keyboard and at least a 13" screen, preferably 14+". Light and thin is also high on the list of preferences. Will keep my eye peeled for a deal on the T-420s.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”