Computers for Law School 2011

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
missinglink

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby missinglink » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:07 pm

I was afraid Office 2011 would be the way to go. It's drat expensive.

The Home and Student edition comes w/o Outlook, so they basically force you to upgrade right there to the Home Business version if you want that. A digital download on Amazon is around $150. Unfortunately, I checked with IT at my school, and there are no site license versions available for students.

If anyone has any suggestions on where to get the full-featured version at a lower price, speak now. :) I'm not really interested in the Bit Torrent option, either.

albanach

Postby albanach » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:12 pm

missinglink wrote:I was afraid Office 2011 would be the way to go. It's drat expensive.

The Home and Student edition comes w/o Outlook, so they basically force you to upgrade right there to the Home Business version if you want that. A digital download on Amazon is around $150. Unfortunately, I checked with IT at my school, and there are no site license versions available for students.

If anyone has any suggestions on where to get the full-featured version at a lower price, speak now. :) I'm not really interested in the Bit Torrent option, either.

Where are you going to school? Lots of schools offer it for between free and $30.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:19 pm

albanach wrote:
missinglink wrote:I was afraid Office 2011 would be the way to go. It's drat expensive.

Where are you going to school? Lots of schools offer it for between free and $30.

Just my luck.

Actually, you prompted me to look at my old school's website (transferring at the moment). They have a digital download and perpetual site license available for 10 bucks. 8)

bendtheslurry

Postby bendtheslurry » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:32 pm

I haven't purchased Office for mac yet because I have heard that there are some glitches if you are using it with Lion.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:45 pm

I'm impressed with Word 2011, at least so far. I think the ribbon implementation is actually better than the PC version, because it incorporates the "old-style" option menus within the ribbon.

I haven't encountered any glitches yet with Lion, although I'm sure there are some out there.

Having last used Word 2008 for Mac and finding it ran like ass, this is a pleasant surprise.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:07 pm

missinglink wrote:I'm impressed with Word 2011, at least so far. I think the ribbon implementation is actually better than the PC version, because it incorporates the "old-style" option menus within the ribbon.

I haven't encountered any glitches yet with Lion, although I'm sure there are some out there.

Having last used Word 2008 for Mac and finding it ran like ass, this is a pleasant surprise.

Is Office 2010 (PC) similar to 2011 (MAC)? I believe 2010 uses a ribbon too now. They even coded Office so it opens quickly (or so it seems).

deepspacenine

Postby deepspacenine » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:27 pm

bendtheslurry wrote:I just got my 15" MBP. I added the hi res display and the 7200rpm/500GB hard drive. I wanted to be able to do all my law school stuff, professionally edit photos, and (if I am so inclined) be able to play the new star wars MMO. I'm a first time Mac buyer, but so far I've been really impressed.

The only problem with the new Star Wars MMO is you have to use EA's crappy Origin system instead of Steam. :lol:

deepspacenine

Postby deepspacenine » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:34 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
Dany wrote:
missinglink wrote:Is Microsoft Office 2011 for OSX any good?

I've used it on a friend's computer for doing reports and presentations and such and I really like it. Definitely getting it for my Mac when I can figure out how to get it cheap from my school. :D

Versus the alternatives, 2011 is the way to go.

2011 runs pretty well in SL. I will say that Pages (which I have played with but never used for real work) is pretty tempting with the upcoming iPad/iPhone/iCloud integration. Not that I'd do law work on an iPad.

Speaking of, y'all planning on using some form of a Dropbox system to sync your docx files between machines/the cloud? I'm not a huge cloud fan and like controlling my data/backups locally but I could see myself dragging in "current work" to Dropbox then moving it over to perma storage when done.

deepspacenine

Postby deepspacenine » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:36 pm

Brand new MacBook Air owners, any of you worried about the Samsung SSD vs Toshiba SSD issues?

Check Anand's review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4528/the- ... h-review/8 I'm getting an air, just trying to sort through the MRumours forums to see if people are blowing the SSD performance difference out of proportion.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:38 pm

zeth006 wrote:
missinglink wrote:I'm impressed with Word 2011, at least so far. I think the ribbon implementation is actually better than the PC version, because it incorporates the "old-style" option menus within the ribbon.

Is Office 2010 (PC) similar to 2011 (MAC)? I believe 2010 uses a ribbon too now. They even coded Office so it opens quickly (or so it seems).

It's pretty similar.

I'd go so far as to say that Office 2010 (PC) has a more cartoonish look to it than the Mac version now. But yes, they both use the ribbon now.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:43 pm

deepspacenine wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
Dany wrote:
missinglink wrote:Is Microsoft Office 2011 for OSX any good?

I've used it on a friend's computer for doing reports and presentations and such and I really like it. Definitely getting it for my Mac when I can figure out how to get it cheap from my school. :D

Versus the alternatives, 2011 is the way to go.

2011 runs pretty well in SL. I will say that Pages (which I have played with but never used for real work) is pretty tempting with the upcoming iPad/iPhone/iCloud integration. Not that I'd do law work on an iPad.

Speaking of, y'all planning on using some form of a Dropbox system to sync your docx files between machines/the cloud? I'm not a huge cloud fan and like controlling my data/backups locally but I could see myself dragging in "current work" to Dropbox then moving it over to perma storage when done.

I use Dropbox. Recommend it.

dstr15

Postby dstr15 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:05 am

deepspacenine wrote:Brand new MacBook Air owners, any of you worried about the Samsung SSD vs Toshiba SSD issues?

Check Anand's review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4528/the- ... h-review/8 I'm getting an air, just trying to sort through the MRumours forums to see if people are blowing the SSD performance difference out of proportion.

I just bought a new mba 13". My last computer was a 2006 macbook pro, so the new air is a couple of order of magnitudes better. I read the review before I bought it and totally checked out the ssd in the apple store. The mba I bought had a samsung ssd, so I pulled the trigger (but probably would have still kept it with the toshiba inside). I was considering getting a mac book pro but 15" is overkill for me. and the 13" mbps can not be upgraded to have real graphic cards. end ramble.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:14 am

deepspacenine wrote:Brand new MacBook Air owners, any of you worried about the Samsung SSD vs Toshiba SSD issues?

I wasn't worried either way. Luckily, I got a Samsung SSD - and a Samsung display (for what that's worth).

If I had gotten a Toshiba, I probably would have kept it too. I really don't do anything more intensive than listen to music (Pandora, Spotify, GoogleMusic, etc) and word processing. I'm sure either would have performed fine under that kind of "stress."

rcweedman

Postby rcweedman » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:43 am

Just got off the phone with those punk bitches at lenovo and they're going to price match a quote I generated from their website today. The quote has to be for the exact same specifications to get their price match deal and they will refund the difference. I was able to get a quote for ~$185 CHEAPER than the price I paid last week!

I'm happy to be getting damn near 200 bucks back but pissed that they price gouged me so bad in the first place on an alleged student discount.

To get a quote, go through the whole customize your computer process but right before you would enter your credit card info, there is an option to click on "convert to quote". You can then email the quote to yourself. The important quote number you need will start with the letter K and be followed by 5 numbers.

rcweedman

Postby rcweedman » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:02 am

You can also get an additional 6% cash back by clicking to lenovo through a http://www.ebates.com account if you have one and then making a purchase. I think the ebates thing is only good through august 8th though http://www.ebates.com/search/all.htm?qu ... vo&x=0&y=0
Last edited by rcweedman on Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

rcweedman

Postby rcweedman » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:13 am

one more thing: I initially called them to cancel my order with the reason being that the expected shipping date was too far in the future. They offered to upgrade my shipping for free to ups 2 day... or something like that.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:04 pm

rcweedman wrote:one more thing: I initially called them to cancel my order with the reason being that the expected shipping date was too far in the future. They offered to upgrade my shipping for free to ups 2 day... or something like that.

You did it wrong. Always buy it with the Barnes and Noble Gold Education discount. It's the most you'll get without calling in and haggling with a salesman.

Register your account here.

--LinkRemoved--

lah88

Postby lah88 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:16 pm

Buying a new macbook pro for school and trying to decide between the 13 inch and 15 inch. Have a 15" right now and like the screen size but considering getting something smaller to make it easier to carry around all day. Are there any disadvantages to having a 13 inch screen instead of 15 inch? And does the 15 inch have any features that the 13 inch doesn't have? If someone could compare the 2 for me that would be great! I really don't know much about computers.

rcweedman

Postby rcweedman » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:27 pm

typ3 wrote:
rcweedman wrote:one more thing: I initially called them to cancel my order with the reason being that the expected shipping date was too far in the future. They offered to upgrade my shipping for free to ups 2 day... or something like that.

You did it wrong. Always buy it with the Barnes and Noble Gold Education discount. It's the most you'll get without calling in and haggling with a salesman.

Register your account here.

--LinkRemoved--

Amazing! that is ~$50.00 cheaper that the best deal I have found so far

Thanks!

NC1

Postby NC1 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:53 pm

RC can you run me through the process of what you did because we both seemed to have gotten our laptops at the same time. How did you know you robbed on the price?

rcweedman

Postby rcweedman » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:35 pm

NC1 wrote:RC can you run me through the process of what you did because we both seemed to have gotten our laptops at the same time. How did you know you robbed on the price?

The first thing you need to do is what typ3 recommended. click through to the lenovo website through that barnes & noble site. Once you're there, click on buy now and then customize a laptop to the exact same specs as the one you paid for. If the new computer is cheaper than the one you just bought, then do the lenovo checkout. When you get to the screen where you can enter your credit card info you will see a link at the bottom that will allow you to just generate a quote. Do that and then send it to your email address. When you call Lenovo, you will need to have your order number and the quote number. Order number might start with a 2 and be 6 characters long. The quote number will start with a K and will have 5 numbers after the K.

It remains to be seen whether or not I will end up getting refunded any money. That has to be approved by a "post sales" manager. I was told that one of those managers would be calling me in two days to let me know if it is approved.

I called up "post sales" (just call the sales department and ask for post sales) and told them I want to take advantage of the price guarantee. One of the reps told me that since my laptop shipped out this morning, they can't do the price match. That is not true. I have been told differently by two other reps. I went through this process two times--once with the quote that was ~$200 cheaper and once with the quote that originated from the barnes and noble site that was ~$250 cheaper. The last "post sales" rep I spoke with said that I might not qualify for the $250 refund because it originated from a different site than my original order. IMO, you should also generate a quote that originates from this site http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/cont ... s/Students Scroll down, select your state, select your school and click "I agree" first. That way, if the post sales manager denies your other quote based on the fact that you didn't order from barnes & noble to begin with, you can tell them to use this quote.

What a headache! I wish I had known about the barnes & noble site to begin with! good luck to you

deepspacenine

Postby deepspacenine » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:39 pm

MacBook Air owners, what case are you getting for law school? Feel free to throw in backpacks, etc. I'm trying to find an awesome solution to let me carry my MBA solo if I want or bring my MBA, iPad, books, etc. all together.

I guess the best way to do that is like a sleeve from Fabrix and then a laptop backpack. What are y'all doing?

fish tacos

Postby fish tacos » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:00 am

I need help deciding between the Toshiba Portege R800 line and the Thinkpad t420. I've done a lot of research and both get great reviews. I've also read this entire thread beginning to end (just providing an example of my dedication to research, although I learned a lot more about the Mac vs. Windows debate than I ever cared).

I'm not into gaming and graphics, so what I'm really after is durability and battery life. From what I've read, the Thinkpad is one of the most durable laptops out there while the Toshiba has superior battery life (at least between these two).

Depending on where I order them, price will be about the same. Pros and Cons essentially boil down to this: The Portege is slimmer/lighter/sleeker/sexier with a better battery, but people have freaked me out about its off-center keyboard and awkward typing experience. This laptop comes with a free Xbox though, which I have to admit is a major plus because I am currently without any type of gaming console. The Thinkpad has worse battery life and won't come with a free Xbox (not at the price I would get it), but is much more durable (I can be rough/clumsy) and provides a typing experience with which I am familiar and comfortable (using a 2007 Thinkpad R61 to write this very post). Thoughts and recommendations? Thanks for taking the time to read.

ColomboHeat

Postby ColomboHeat » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:55 pm

deepspacenine wrote:MacBook Air owners, what case are you getting for law school? Feel free to throw in backpacks, etc. I'm trying to find an awesome solution to let me carry my MBA solo if I want or bring my MBA, iPad, books, etc. all together.

I guess the best way to do that is like a sleeve from Fabrix and then a laptop backpack. What are y'all doing?

Mine currently rests in a 13'' mbp caselogic neoprene sleeve. it is plain black, simple as can be. I bought it because there is a flap that covers the zipper metal surround and protects the laptop from being scratched by the zipper, which is a complaint I read commonly from aluminum laptop owners. I don't love it, because it is obviously designed for the thicker machine, so it isn't really a snug fit. my problem was, I couldn't find a sleeve designed specifically for the 13'' mba, even on Amazon, that wasn't ridiculously expensive. this one looks alright, http://www.sfbags.com/products/laptopsuedejacket/laptopsuedejacket.htm but I paid less than half that for mine.

maybe I'll wind up switching later on down the road, but on the plus side, I can also fit a small stack of papers and/or a folder in there at the same time, making it so that I'll be able to keep important paper notes with the laptop at all times.

getting even more pricy, I thought this one was cool as a hard shell backpack replacement case http://www.booqbags.com/All-Products/Vyper-hard-laptop-cases/Viper-hardcase-13-black-red if you wanted to grab it and some class notes and just run out the door sans backpack.

I like to keep it simple when it comes to backpacks, so I found this one http://www.ebags.com/product/nike/hayward-29l-backpack/150174?productid=10145029 (or something nearly Identical/maybe a little smaller) from Nike in the team shop at my school - so it's got a little university logo on it and fits the air perfectly. This ebags shop has got countless name brand bags in the 25-40 dollar range. I also have a traditional leather laptop briefcase-looking-case that I don't plan on using until I am meeting with potential employers. I never understood people who spent hundreds of dollars on fancy bags for school.
Last edited by ColomboHeat on Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:56 pm

deepspacenine wrote:MacBook Air owners, what case are you getting for law school? Feel free to throw in backpacks, etc. I'm trying to find an awesome solution to let me carry my MBA solo if I want or bring my MBA, iPad, books, etc. all together.

Are you a guy or a girl?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”