Computers for Law School 2011

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
typ3

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby typ3 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:45 am

spets wrote:
albanach wrote:
spets wrote:What do people think of the HP Pavilion - Intel B940?

I already have a desktop that I use for multimedia/entertainment purposes, so I figured I only need a laptop that can handle word processing and exam software.

The computer will handle word processing and exam software just fine.

That said, two pages back someone posted a thinkpad deal for $100 more. For that you would get a much better built computer, with a much better processor. The pentium in the laptop you link to has many advanced features disabled that could make the computer more responsive. It also has more limited graphics that could also slow things down if you decide to use the computer beyond the two tasks mentioned.

So, if you really must, it's cheap and will probably do. Still, for not much more you can do better.

I definitely would have jumped on that Thinkpad E420, which had an i5 processor too - unfortunately, the deal looks to be dead. It's listed @ $699.99 and with the $100 student GC, it would still be $600 :?

That being said, I can still get a Thinkpad E420 but with an i3 (2.10 ghz) instead for $510 from Tigerdirect vs. the $350 budget HP. Would that $150 increase be worth it?

E series keyboard is not the same as the X / W / or T series keyboards. IMO check ebay or the refurbished site on lenovo. If you're just going to use the laptop for exams and note taking you might as well just get the best keyboard you can since you're not really going for performance.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:49 am

typ3 wrote:
spets wrote:
albanach wrote:
spets wrote:What do people think of the HP Pavilion - Intel B940?

I already have a desktop that I use for multimedia/entertainment purposes, so I figured I only need a laptop that can handle word processing and exam software.

The computer will handle word processing and exam software just fine.

That said, two pages back someone posted a thinkpad deal for $100 more. For that you would get a much better built computer, with a much better processor. The pentium in the laptop you link to has many advanced features disabled that could make the computer more responsive. It also has more limited graphics that could also slow things down if you decide to use the computer beyond the two tasks mentioned.

So, if you really must, it's cheap and will probably do. Still, for not much more you can do better.

I definitely would have jumped on that Thinkpad E420, which had an i5 processor too - unfortunately, the deal looks to be dead. It's listed @ $699.99 and with the $100 student GC, it would still be $600 :?

That being said, I can still get a Thinkpad E420 but with an i3 (2.10 ghz) instead for $510 from Tigerdirect vs. the $350 budget HP. Would that $150 increase be worth it?

E series keyboard is not the same as the X / W / or T series keyboards. IMO check ebay or the refurbished site on lenovo. If you're just going to use the laptop for exams and note taking you might as well just get the best keyboard you can since you're not really going for performance.

Learn how to use vi/vim/emacs or any other command-line word processing software available for Linux. You can run it full speed on ANY laptop... EVER made.. and if you get really good at it, you can take it one step further and learn LATEX which allows you to format your stuff nicely after the fact.

That's the advice I give to students overseas with laptops from the late 90's and it works out for them.

rcweedman

Postby rcweedman » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:08 pm

Thinkpad protection...worth it?

rcweedman

Postby rcweedman » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:10 pm

chat rep said it was covered if the machine gets totally submerged
Last edited by rcweedman on Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Miznitic

Postby Miznitic » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:31 am

One vote for a 11.6 Macbook Air. Great computer — small & extremely portable. Survived one year thus far and I am now upgrading to the newer i5/4gb MBAIR.

I had an original 13", then went for the smaller when it came available. I replace my laptop every year generally, and the resale on Mac products is infinitely better than my craptastic returned-8-times-in-one-year Lenovo that is now worth barely 200 despite what I paid for it.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:48 am

Miznitic wrote:One vote for a 11.6 Macbook Air. Great computer — small & extremely portable. Survived one year thus far and I am now upgrading to the newer i5/4gb MBAIR.

I had an original 13", then went for the smaller when it came available. I replace my laptop every year generally, and the resale on Mac products is infinitely better than my craptastic returned-8-times-in-one-year Lenovo that is now worth barely 200 despite what I paid for it.

I want an 11" air so bad. I think I can justify a laptop and an air. I'm getting closer every day

Postby 23402385985 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:56 am

Naked Dude wrote:
Miznitic wrote:One vote for a 11.6 Macbook Air. Great computer — small & extremely portable. Survived one year thus far and I am now upgrading to the newer i5/4gb MBAIR.

I want an 11" air so bad. I think I can justify a laptop and an air. I'm getting closer every day

I am thinking about buying one just for fooling around on. Use my MBP for work and an Air for fun.

nmcdgt

Postby nmcdgt » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:58 am

For those looking for a thin and light computer comparably to a macbook but who aren't mac fans, I just got a Dell XPS 15z and I really like it. Full HD screen, nice speakers, but only 1" thick and pretty light. They have a deal for students also where it comes with a free xbox. Pretty sweet deal.

rcweedman

Postby rcweedman » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:00 am

I bought a thinkpad earlier today through the lenovo website...hope it doesn't have problems like yours did. I'm optimistic but if I do have any problems I will be sure to let everyone know about 'em.

The only other computer I've owned is this HP pavilion and it has been fairly reliable. The battery life is terrible, the synaptics pointing device scroll bar stops working at times (reboot fixes that problem), device drivers sometimes just stop working and funny things happen (disconnects from internet, get blue screen of decay). I've used up ~50% of my 224 G hard drive and it takes 4-5 minutes to boot up. its as if the intel centrino duo is hitting on just one cylinder instead of 2. so other than that it has been a good computer? for 3.5 years old, not too bad...i guess

I'm still not on the mac wagon yet though...if my lenovo sucks, i'll give em a try.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:37 am

joncrooshal wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:

I am thinking about buying one just for fooling around on. Use my MBP for work and an Air for fun.

Yeah I just got a new MBP for work. I wouldn't mind using an Air for on the go/class purposes and my MBP at home for more intensive purposes

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:48 am

The 11" Air is so tiny. I kind of wish my 13" MBP had more space, though the screen size is definitely fine and I prefer the portability/overall size, but any lower than 13" and I don't think I'd be happy at all.

albanach

Postby albanach » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:14 am

rcweedman wrote:$67 for one year
$177 for 2 years
$237 for 3 years
$373 for 4 years

lenovo chat rep said it was covered if the machine gets totally submerged

If you're borrowing the cost of the laptop, you can only get an increase once. On those grounds, If you're buying an expensive laptop I think it's worthwhile to have a three year warranty with accidental damage cover. You can basically be sure you'll have a functional laptop for the duration of law school.

The alternative is to save the money and if the laptop dies or gets broken and is unfixable, you can go shopping for a cheap replacement and pay for it out of your month to month budget.

NC1

Postby NC1 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:55 am

I didn't buy the warranty for my Lenovo E420 that I just got (ordered online yesterday). I mean the Thinkpad warrantly anyway. I still have the out of the box stuff. I would never imagine destroying my laptop the extent of needing the Thinkpad protection, but who knows. My old laptop lasted pretty long. I think I had one issue during the first year where I sent it in and they fixed my wireless card. That was about it. I'll probably buy the Thinkpad protection for my remaining 2 years when this warranty (out of the box) wears off. But I'd rather pocket the money right now.

rcweedman

Postby rcweedman » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:46 am

Ended up getting the 3 year thinkpad warranty. If I have to use it I will be glad I got it.

I also got the 128g SSD on a whim. Hope I'm totally blown away for the price.

NC1

Postby NC1 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:21 am

rcweedman wrote:Ended up getting the 3 year thinkpad warranty. If I have to use it I will be glad I got it.

I might change my mind and pick up later LOL. But can't blame you for having it. I might still grab it depending on my expenses just before I hit up law school. It can be purchased separately right?

albanach

Postby albanach » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:28 am

rcweedman wrote:
NC1 wrote:I also got the 128g SSD on a whim. Hope I'm totally blown away for the price.

I might change my mind and pick up later LOL. But can't blame you for having it. I might still grab it depending on my expenses just before I hit up law school. It can be purchased separately right?

I was planning to, but I'm thinking I'll get the Intel 40GB or 80GB micro ssd (it fits in the slot that would otherwise house the 3G card) and use it for Windows & Apps, keeping the 320GB drive available for data.

NC1

Postby NC1 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:31 am

albanach wrote:
rcweedman wrote:
NC1 wrote:I also got the 128g SSD on a whim. Hope I'm totally blown away for the price.

I was planning to, but I'm thinking I'll get the Intel 40GB or 80GB micro ssd (it fits in the slot that would otherwise house the 3G card) and use it for Windows & Apps, keeping the 320GB drive available for data.

I was talking about the warranty lol. But I'm assuming you got the T420?

albanach

Postby albanach » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:39 am

NC1 wrote:I was talking about the warranty lol. But I'm assuming you got the T420?

Oh, sorry. I'm all for the warranty too. Last thing I want is graduating with extra debt for a computer that got smashed or something.

I'm looking at the X220 on the basis of size and weight. I'm planning to cycle to school for most of the year, so that's an issue.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:11 pm

i'm thinking of getting a lenovo but have no idea whether to get a T420, X220, or E420. i only use the computer for word processing and internet. someone tell me what to do.

rcweedman

Postby rcweedman » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:42 pm

Stringer6 wrote:i'm thinking of getting a lenovo but have no idea whether to get a T420, X220, or E420. i only use the computer for word processing and internet. someone tell me what to do.

I would've got the x220 but the biggest screen size for that one is 13.3.
The E420 doesn't have the NVIDIA graphics card option that the T420 has. NVIDIA is dedicated, intel 3000 is integrated.

I think the t420 has a backlit keyboard. If that is important to you, make sure the e420 has it before you buy that one.

rcweedman

Postby rcweedman » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:50 pm

albanach wrote:I'll get the Intel 40GB or 80GB micro ssd (it fits in the slot that would otherwise house the 3G card) and use it for Windows & Apps, keeping the 320GB drive available for data.

that's interesting. is this what you're talking about? ---> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820167049

if so, I could've saved $100 and had an extra ~300GB storage with that idea!

rcweedman

Postby rcweedman » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:53 pm

NC1 wrote:
rcweedman wrote:Ended up getting the 3 year thinkpad warranty. If I have to use it I will be glad I got it.

from what I have read in this thread it can be purchased separately...you can verify that with one of the lenovo sales people.

albanach

Postby albanach » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:19 pm

rcweedman wrote:
albanach wrote:I'll get the Intel 40GB or 80GB micro ssd (it fits in the slot that would otherwise house the 3G card) and use it for Windows & Apps, keeping the 320GB drive available for data.

that's interesting. is this what you're talking about? ---> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820167049

if so, I could've saved $100 and had an extra ~300GB storage with that idea!

I believe this is the one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820167040

It's not in a casing, it just plugs into the PCIe slot that is available for the 3G mobile broadband card (assuming you didn't include it). If your laptop hasn't been built yet, you could possibly revert to the HDD and buy the mini SSD separately.

rcweedman

Postby rcweedman » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:43 pm

albanach wrote:I believe this is the one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820167040

It's not in a casing, it just plugs into the PCIe slot that is available for the 3G mobile broadband card (assuming you didn't include it). If your laptop hasn't been built yet, you could possibly revert to the HDD and buy the mini SSD separately.

I didn't get the upgraded mobile broadband and so that's good to know I have that option. From the comments on newegg it seems easy enough for me to install it after the fact if I decide I need the extra storage.

TUP

Postby TUP » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:08 pm

The 310 is what you want if you plan on using the mSATA slot, but it sells so fast it's rarely in stock. If you're only using the laptop for law school and 128gb in the laptop is enough space, you can go with a larger (and faster) SATA 3 SSD in the main hard drive slot and then put the drive that comes with the T420 in an external enclosure.

I went 6-cell batter so it doesn't hang out in the back, and I'd like to go for one of these 2 options to save on battery life, not to mention the speed increase.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”