Computers for Law School 2011

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ResolutePear

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:07 pm

albanach wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
albanach wrote:
beach_terror wrote:You seem dense though, so go for it bro.

What age are you, twelve?

13/f/fl, u?

Older and wiser. Sorry.

Very bold statement.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:08 pm

albanach wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
albanach wrote:
beach_terror wrote:You seem dense though, so go for it bro.

What age are you, twelve?

13/f/fl, u?

Older and wiser. Sorry.

If you were older and wiser then you would have bought a Thinkpad instead of an Ideapad. Sorry.

albanach

Postby albanach » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:17 pm

beach_terror wrote:If you were older and wiser then you would have bought a Thinkpad instead of an Ideapad. Sorry.

And if you would smarter you'd have noticed that nowhere did I say I had purchased either. Sorry.

albanach

Postby albanach » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:21 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
Very bold statement.

I disagree. I have tried to offer nothing but helpful information in this thread. Information that draws on well over a decade of full-time directly relevant employment.

In return I was called 'dense'. I find that pretty telling.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:21 pm

albanach wrote:
beach_terror wrote:If you were older and wiser then you would have bought a Thinkpad instead of an Ideapad. Sorry.

And if you would smarter you'd have noticed that nowhere did I say I had purchased either. Sorry.

Eh, advocating for and purchasing are the same in this context. But cool argument bro.

esq

Postby esq » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:28 pm

I just wanted to point out a great sale for a Lenovo Thinkpad if anyone wants to take advantage of it. I just picked up the Thinkpad Edge E420, 2nd gen i5, 4gb ram, 500gb hd - has many of the same features as it more expensive cousin the T420 (hard drive airbag, spill resistant keyboard, internal roll cage) - for $450. Great deal for anyone looking to purchase a solid computer with up to date specs for under $500. Usually $699 you get $150 off + another $100 back if you are a student (instantly in store). You might want to move quickly since, at least in the store, I purchased the last one they had when I went in yesterday. Here's the link, and agreed that the Ideapad just lacks the build quality of the Thinkpad line:

Some extra perks
-Preloaded Win 7 64
-fingerprint scanner
-webcam

Slickdeal Discussion

Office Depot Deal for $450
Last edited by esq on Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ColomboHeat

Postby ColomboHeat » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:35 pm

I went to the Microsoft store over the weekend to go type on a Lenovo keyboard, and I encountered the Ideapad U260. I was not impressed at all. Methinks I need a real Thinkpad.

albanach

Postby albanach » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:36 pm

beach_terror wrote:Eh, advocating for and purchasing are the same in this context. But cool argument bro.

Nice try. RC fail. Nowhere did I recommend one over the other.

ColomboHeat

Postby ColomboHeat » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:36 pm

the amount of nerdfighting that goes on in this thread is laughable. you guys are nuts.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:42 pm

adonai wrote:
Lenovo IdeaPad Z370 Laptop Specs:
Lenovo Z370 (102522U)
2nd generation Intel® Core™ i5-2410M Processor ( 2.30GHz 1333MHz 3MB )
13.3" HD Glare with integrated camera 1366x768
500GB 5400
4 GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz
Lenovo BGN Wireless
DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64
One year parts and labor (system battery: one year)
Intel Integrated HD Graphics 3000"

Personally, I like this one better

also you mad. also you think Lenovo is famous for chiclet keyboards, lolwut?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:47 pm

ColomboHeat wrote:the amount of nerdfighting that goes on in this thread is laughable. you guys are nuts.

--ImageRemoved--

albanach

Postby albanach » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:50 pm

beach_terror wrote:
adonai wrote:
Lenovo IdeaPad Z370 Laptop Specs:

also you mad. also you think Lenovo is famous for chiclet keyboards, lolwut?

adonai != albanach :roll:

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:53 pm

Oh holy shit, my fault. As if avatarless people weren't hard enough to tell apart already.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:23 pm

albanach wrote:

This is equatable to giving law school advice without having been to law school, in my profession - at least.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:43 am

Each to his own in the end.

I got my notebook for just under $600 when the original sale price was about $1,300. It does everything I need it to do. I installed Expose clone and a 3rd party touchpad software solution that makes for some decent multi-tasking power. The touchpad software itself allows me to implement two-finger right-click flawlessly, which says a lot considering how I always mess up two-finger right-click on Apple's touchpads. I would've preferred if the screen had been matte instead of glossy, but the color reproduction is among the best even when compared against $1,000+ notebooks. And above all, it's thin/light. My insurance lasts until July 2013.

Of course, the touchpad mod wouldn't have been possible without open-source software and the generosity of some random dude who hadn't even finished his C++ certification. Without the mods, my touchpad would've been pure horribly unusable and would've resulted in a refund.

Now what does this all mean? I'm slightly encouraged by other thin/light PC notebook offerings appearing on the PC field, but I'm a bit pessimistic that I'll be as lucky as I was this time around come notebook replacement time. I'm hoping the PC manufacturers take a cue from Apple's plans to get rid of the optical drive and start introducing super-slim and light notebooks for $1,000 or less in 2013. If they can do that and work on getting the software aspect of notebook manufacturing down, there won't be such a high rate of defection toward Macbooks. I'm one of few oddballs who never really liked OSX, so I'm really hoping Windows 8 notebooks and possibly Chromium-based notebooks will offer some stronger competition in the future.

delusional

Postby delusional » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:16 pm

Well, I bought my law school computer!!! It was this one: http://www.staples.com/HP-Pavilion-dm4- ... uct_332979 . On sale for $650, with $50 rebate and $100 ADDITIONAL gift card rebate for students (ID or acceptance letter). I liked the look, the 14" screen size, and the gen 2 Core i5 processor. It has 4g DDR, 2.3 mhz processor and a 640 gig hard drive. I have had a HP for the last few years and liked it, so I was happy to get another, especially since it seems like they've gotten better with the whole overheating thing.

I chose it over this one: http://www.staples.com/Dell-Inspiron-15 ... uct_327658 . Similar in a lot of ways - the price, the DDR (4g) the HD (640 gig). The differences were that it was ugly, that it was a 15.6 inch screen, and it had a Core i3 processor. O the plus side, it had a Blu-ray ROM drive and a eSATA port.

I had really wanted the Blu-ray, but I thought the HP was a good enough deal to give up on it - but then I saw the Dell. But it was big and clunky, and not a brand I was familiar with. Sooooo, TLS, did I make the right choice?

ETA: I welcome opinions from experts and non-experts alike. I did not know the significance of half the specs I typed.

ETA again: Also, I can return/exchange. So if I made a really bad choice, don't hold back. :)

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:32 pm

delusional wrote:Well, I bought my law school computer!!! It was this one: http://www.staples.com/HP-Pavilion-dm4- ... uct_332979 . On sale for $650, with $50 rebate and $100 ADDITIONAL gift card rebate for students (ID or acceptance letter). I liked the look, the 14" screen size, and the gen 2 Core i5 processor. It has 4g DDR, 2.3 mhz processor and a 640 gig hard drive. I have had a HP for the last few years and liked it, so I was happy to get another, especially since it seems like they've gotten better with the whole overheating thing.

I chose it over this one: http://www.staples.com/Dell-Inspiron-15 ... uct_327658 . Similar in a lot of ways - the price, the DDR (4g) the HD (640 gig). The differences were that it was ugly, that it was a 15.6 inch screen, and it had a Core i3 processor. O the plus side, it had a Blu-ray ROM drive and a eSATA port.

I had really wanted the Blu-ray, but I thought the HP was a good enough deal to give up on it - but then I saw the Dell. But it was big and clunky, and not a brand I was familiar with. Sooooo, TLS, did I make the right choice?

ETA: I welcome opinions from experts and non-experts alike. I did not know the significance of half the specs I typed.

ETA again: Also, I can return/exchange. So if I made a really bad choice, don't hold back. :)

If those were the only two choices, then yes - I'll agree.

A Celeron processor and 2GB of ram and 150GB of space is good enough for law school. The specs aren't important when choosing, but reliability and durability are.

delusional

Postby delusional » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:50 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
delusional wrote:Well, I bought my law school computer!!! It was this one: http://www.staples.com/HP-Pavilion-dm4- ... uct_332979 . On sale for $650, with $50 rebate and $100 ADDITIONAL gift card rebate for students (ID or acceptance letter). I liked the look, the 14" screen size, and the gen 2 Core i5 processor. It has 4g DDR, 2.3 mhz processor and a 640 gig hard drive. I have had a HP for the last few years and liked it, so I was happy to get another, especially since it seems like they've gotten better with the whole overheating thing.

A Celeron processor and 2GB of ram and 150GB of space is good enough for law school. The specs aren't important when choosing, but reliability and durability are.

Well, they weren't the ONLY two choices, but they were the two best deals I saw. I had to struggle not to be tempted by some of HPs higher end laptops, because I'll be living on borrowed money. OTOH, I didn't want to get a netbook, or a $270 dollar computer.

I think that I'll be happier with this one in the long run, especially since I haven't watched a movie in months, so Blu-ray may not be worth as much as I'm valuing it at. I think my main realistic concern is that I'll have to do an emergency backup/reinstall of the system, and it will take a day and a half with a 640 gig HD using USB 2.0 and I'll wish I had the eSATA. I guess I'll have to restrict torrents to my old computer.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:52 pm

delusional wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

Well, they weren't the ONLY two choices, but they were the two best deals I saw. I had to struggle not to be tempted by some of HPs higher end laptops, because I'll be living on borrowed money. OTOH, I didn't want to get a netbook, or a $270 dollar computer.

I think that I'll be happier with this one in the long run, especially since I haven't watched a movie in months, so Blu-ray may not be worth as much as I'm valuing it at. I think my main realistic concern is that I'll have to do an emergency backup/reinstall of the system, and it will take a day and a half with a 640 gig HD using USB 2.0 and I'll wish I had the eSATA. I guess I'll have to restrict torrents to my old computer.

What? No.

If you're backing up programs, you're doing it wrong.

delusional

Postby delusional » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:54 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
delusional wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

What? No.

If you're backing up programs, you're doing it wrong.

Not backing up programs. Having virus trouble, for example, and backing up my files to reinstall Windows.

esq

Postby esq » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:09 am

I saw this sale too when I picked up my Thinkpad, solid deal. An i5 with 6gb ram and 640gb hd is an awesome computer for the price. Still though, I had to choose the Thinkpad for $450 over it just because I think it's build quality is a bit better. The HP's specs are just a bit better than the 4gb ram and 500gb hd in the Thinkpad I picked up though, so its just a matter of preference, but you got a great deal.

It's got a great rating at slickdeals:

HP Link

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:12 am

I'm buying my cousin a laptop as a gift. (He is in undergrad and his family can't afford the purchase).
My budget is $400. Any suggestions?

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:16 am

BlakcMajikc wrote:I'm buying my cousin a laptop as a gift. (He is in undergrad and his family can't afford the purchase).

I used PCexchange.com to outfit our entire office (18 machines) with refurbs when we had an immense server issue and had to upgrade on a budget. I'm assuming based on the HLS in your TLS box, but if you are in MA I highly recommend as they will service them on the spot, and if you go in person to purchase you can negotiate price.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:09 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote:I'm buying my cousin a laptop as a gift. (He is in undergrad and his family can't afford the purchase).

I used PCexchange.com to outfit our entire office (18 machines) with refurbs when we had an immense server issue and had to upgrade on a budget. I'm assuming based on the HLS in your TLS box, but if you are in MA I highly recommend as they will service them on the spot, and if you go in person to purchase you can negotiate price.

The site looked decent. I don't know about buying him a used laptop... He is already stressed enough (two jobs and family stuff), and computer problems wouldn't be pretty.

I'll scroll back through this forum to see if there were any other value buys in that $400-$500 range. Anyone else with suggestions?

(I'm deferring HLS)

esq

Postby esq » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:50 pm

HP Pavilion Laptop: Intel B940 2GHz CPU, 4GB DD3, 320GB HDD, 14" LED LCD (1366x768) w/ Webcam, DVDRW, WiFi N, 6-Cell Battery, Win 7 Home Prem $350
link

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”