Computers for Law School 2011 Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
fatduck

Gold

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Post by fatduck » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:35 am

Adjudicator wrote:
fatduck wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:I'm trying to choose a small-ish, efficient laptop PC that will also play Diablo 3 fairly well when it comes out.

Any suggestions on what kind of GPU I'm going to need? I've heard Intel's new integrated graphics are much improved, but I'm still skeptical.
Depends how pretty you want D3 to look. I'd keep my expectations low with integrated gfx, though.
Yeah, that's why I'm looking for one with a real GPU. But I haven't heard very good things about any of the common GPUs that you find in laptops, either. And I don't want to have to buy a big, heavy 17" laptop just to get a respectable GPU.

Such a quandary.
I don't know much about ATI's offerings but the GT 400M series should be adequate. It's nvidia's current midrange offering. If you want a little more power the GTS models are quite good, but might only be available in more powerful laptops.

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:38 am

fatduck wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:
fatduck wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:I'm trying to choose a small-ish, efficient laptop PC that will also play Diablo 3 fairly well when it comes out.

Any suggestions on what kind of GPU I'm going to need? I've heard Intel's new integrated graphics are much improved, but I'm still skeptical.
Depends how pretty you want D3 to look. I'd keep my expectations low with integrated gfx, though.
Yeah, that's why I'm looking for one with a real GPU. But I haven't heard very good things about any of the common GPUs that you find in laptops, either. And I don't want to have to buy a big, heavy 17" laptop just to get a respectable GPU.

Such a quandary.
I don't know much about ATI's offerings but the GT 400M series should be adequate. It's nvidia's current midrange offering. If you want a little more power the GTS models are quite good, but might only be available in more powerful laptops.
Thanks, I'll look for those. I anticipate that D3 is not going to be very demanding, but I do want it to look rather pretty if possible.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:45 am

Adjudicator wrote:
fatduck wrote:I don't know much about ATI's offerings but the GT 400M series should be adequate. It's nvidia's current midrange offering. If you want a little more power the GTS models are quite good, but might only be available in more powerful laptops.
Thanks, I'll look for those. I anticipate that D3 is not going to be very demanding, but I do want it to look rather pretty if possible.
yea, i mean for what it's worth, my 2008 macbook runs starcraft 2 decently with an intel integrated chip, but only at the lowest graphics settings.

savagedm

Bronze

Post by savagedm » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:50 am

Only law and med students are neurotic enough to make an entire thread devoted to laptops for school. No offense OP, but anything in your price range that has a basic word processor and internet capabilities is enough. You could use a freakin droid phone if it had a keyboard attachment for it.

That being said, re the Diablo 3 laptop... get an ASUS, best laptop I've ever owned, has a gts 360m cuda and can run literally every game on the market at mid to high graphics. It's amazing.

KingRajesh

Bronze

Post by KingRajesh » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:09 am

Adjudicator wrote:
fatduck wrote:

Such a quandary.
Get an Asus or that Alienware M11x.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:16 am

Yeah, actually I've been planning to get an ASUS from the start. I'm just trying to find one with a good graphics card.

Found this one on eBay and I think it might be the one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ASUS-N53SV-A1-15-6- ... 8257wt_885

Is it stupid to buy a laptop with so much power?

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:18 pm

TCR is that it doesn't matter. Get whatever you want, you don't need anything specific for law school.

savagedm

Bronze

Post by savagedm » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:01 pm

Adjudicator wrote:Yeah, actually I've been planning to get an ASUS from the start. I'm just trying to find one with a good graphics card.

Found this one on eBay and I think it might be the one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ASUS-N53SV-A1-15-6- ... 8257wt_885

Is it stupid to buy a laptop with so much power?
I didn't click the link because I'm in class, but Caveat Emptor bro! DON'T buy a used computer EVER. Refurbished or not, just do not do it, you will regret it.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:15 pm

savagedm wrote:Only law and med students are neurotic enough to make an entire thread devoted to laptops for school. No offense OP, but anything in your price range that has a basic word processor and internet capabilities is enough. You could use a freakin droid phone if it had a keyboard attachment for it.

That being said, re the Diablo 3 laptop... get an ASUS, best laptop I've ever owned, has a gts 360m cuda and can run literally every game on the market at mid to high graphics. It's amazing.
I've got a 330m and it's decent.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

savagedm

Bronze

Post by savagedm » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:17 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
savagedm wrote:Only law and med students are neurotic enough to make an entire thread devoted to laptops for school. No offense OP, but anything in your price range that has a basic word processor and internet capabilities is enough. You could use a freakin droid phone if it had a keyboard attachment for it.

I've got a 330m and it's decent.
Word, I absolutely LOVE the Nvidia mobile series of that generation... best quasi-affordable cards on the market for the target audience.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:20 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
bk187 wrote:This topic has never ever been discussed many times before.
You have to admit, unlike most other topics that have been repeated a million times this one actually does need to be updated every 3 months or so.
Maybe not every 3 months, but it does have to be updated and is worth starting a new thread. If you were looking at threads from 2008, you would probably read about how exam software isn't compatible with macs. Recently, much of the software used in law school is mac-compatible. This isn't a static topic like "zomg what should I wear to ASW?!?!"
It's been discussed very recently (within the last couple months) as to which PC one should buy. The general trend I've seen (and my personal favorites) has been toward recommending Lenovo Thinkpads or Asus Ultralights.

Also, most people have said that exam software is compatible with Macs but that you are SOL if you have problems with it whereas they will help if you are running Windows. Plus you can dualboot if necessary, not to mention the fact that you can contact the schools' IT departments directly to get a better handle on it.

So this topic was redundant.

savagedm

Bronze

Post by savagedm » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:25 pm

bk187 wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
bk187 wrote:This topic has never ever been discussed many times before.
You have to admit, unlike most other topics that have been repeated a million times this one actually does need to be updated every 3 months or so.
Maybe not every 3 months, but it does have to be updated and is worth starting a new thread. If you were looking at threads from 2008, you would probably read about how exam software isn't compatible with macs. Recently, much of the software used in law school is mac-compatible. This isn't a static topic like "zomg what should I wear to ASW?!?!"
It's been discussed very recently (within the last couple months) as to which PC one should buy. The general trend I've seen (and my personal favorites) has been toward recommending Lenovo Thinkpads or Asus Ultralights.

Also, most people have said that exam software is compatible with Macs but that you are SOL if you have problems with it whereas they will help if you are running Windows. Plus you can dualboot if necessary, not to mention the fact that you can contact the schools' IT departments directly to get a better handle on it.

So this topic was redundant.
Yup, call the school, not TLS.

luckdragon

New

Post by luckdragon » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:29 pm

Basically Thinkpad or Mac. Nothing else comes close to the two when it comes to combination of keyboard usability, screen quality, and build quality. Thinkpads are sturdier, have matte screen (no glare), and have superior keyboard. Apple have better battery life, OS X, and design.

Also there is no "compatible with mac." That is not a thing. Apple computers have the same components as 'PC's and can run Windows and all the Windows programs.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hokie

Bronze

Post by hokie » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:43 pm

This is my setup:

It's great because you can do bicep curls while you walk then sling it over your shoulder when your not working out (cuts time spent at the gym). Plus it's a great conversation starter :wink: . Highly Recommend!

Reinhardt

Bronze

Post by Reinhardt » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:00 pm

Nice Lian Li case.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:38 pm

How has the MacBook air not come up yet? Especially if you wait till the next revision. 1440x900 on a 13.3 inch screen and 7 hours of battery life is pretty killer for me. If you want it to be your only computer and somehow really need discs, get a cheap external drive and keep it at home. The power is more than fine for standard business purposes.

FalafelWaffle

Bronze

Post by FalafelWaffle » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:41 pm

I really have fallen in love with Apple's keyboards. No matter how great the specs or how sweet the price, an off-center keyboard is a deal-breaker for me.

This is ok Image

This is unacceptable Image

And this is atrocious --ImageRemoved--

Not THE most important thing, and I say this not as an Apple loyalist, just using their keyboard style (And the consistency of it) as an example. Island style as on the new Pros I couldn't care less about. Keyboard placement though...essential for me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FalafelWaffle

Bronze

Post by FalafelWaffle » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:46 pm

ns77770 wrote:I have a Macbook Pro and plan on using Bootcamp just in case I need something that will only work on windows, and I'm pretty sure Onenote is not made fo Macs. Also, any thoughts on the advantages of Onenote v Word?
Consider OmniOutliner http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omnio ... /features/

FalafelWaffle

Bronze

Post by FalafelWaffle » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:49 pm

fatduck wrote:Parallels/VMware is still pretty shitty.
No

FalafelWaffle

Bronze

Post by FalafelWaffle » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:51 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
fatduck wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
ns77770 wrote:I have a Macbook Pro and plan on using Bootcamp just in case I need something that will only work on windows, and I'm pretty sure Onenote is not made fo Macs. Also, any thoughts on the advantages of Onenote v Word?
One note is nice but having to reboot to use it sounds retarded. Maybe you can get WINE running on it and use it without having to reboot.

I bet Word is okay, but I love having one note. Not sure if I'd dual boot just to have it though.
+1, Boot Camp sounds cool and all but rebooting into Windows fucking blows. Parallels/VMware is still pretty shitty, but better.

CrossOver (an emulator) can supposedly run Office 07, including OneNote, but I've never tried it myself. Not sure about Wine.
An easier solution is to just boot into Windows 7 all the time.
Why? Just run OneNote through Parallels

FalafelWaffle

Bronze

Post by FalafelWaffle » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:54 pm

bk187 wrote:you are SOL if you have problems with it
Nope. This question can only be answered on a case-by-case basis. Depends entirely on your school's IT dept

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FalafelWaffle

Bronze

Post by FalafelWaffle » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:59 pm

luckdragon wrote:Basically Thinkpad or Mac. Nothing else comes close to the two when it comes to combination of keyboard usability, screen quality, and build quality. Thinkpads are sturdier, have matte screen (no glare), and have superior keyboard. Apple have better battery life, OS X, and design.

Also there is no "compatible with mac." That is not a thing. Apple computers have the same components as 'PC's and can run Windows and all the Windows programs.
Thinkpads are ugly as fuck. There's something to be said for design consistency (I guess?), but other than the blue enter key, my 2001 Thinkpad (somewhere in a closet) looks pretty much the same as a new one. I'm being glib, but they really do look like shit. Looks aren't everything-but if you're going to spend hours a day staring at the damn thing buy one that doesn't make you gag. Plenty of inexpensive HPs, Toshibas, and other Lenovos that don't look like shit. I think most PCs are pretty comparable (the Toshiba Protege is what I would get if I wanted a new PC laptop), except for Dell or Gateway. I wouldn't get those two.

Although I agree 100% on the Thinkpad's keyboard usability.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:03 pm

Bro, you can quote multiple posts in a single reply. Seriously, I promise it works.

FalafelWaffle

Bronze

Post by FalafelWaffle » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:24 pm

beachbum wrote:Bro, you can quote multiple posts in a single reply. Seriously, I promise it works.
Bro, if you're talking to me, I know that. I generally quote the specific point I'm referring to/don't like my little box of magic wisdom cluttered by other posts.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:25 pm

FalafelWaffle wrote:Thinkpads are ugly as fuck. There's something to be said for design consistency (I guess?), but other than the blue enter key, my 2001 Thinkpad (somewhere in a closet) looks pretty much the same as a new one. I'm being glib, but they really do look like shit. Looks aren't everything-but if you're going to spend hours a day staring at the damn thing buy one that doesn't make you gag. Plenty of inexpensive HPs, Toshibas, and other Lenovos that don't look like shit. I think most PCs are pretty comparable (the Toshiba Protege is what I would get if I wanted a new PC laptop), except for Dell or Gateway. I wouldn't get those two.

Although I agree 100% on the Thinkpad's keyboard usability.

Who gives a shit how it looks?

All that matter is how usable it is. The Thinkpad has a fantastic keyboard and it won't poop a lung when someone's backpack knocks it off the table as they try and squeeze by.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”