Computers for Law School 2011 Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
kalvano

Diamond

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Post by kalvano » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:47 pm

geoduck wrote:
kalvano wrote:Windows 7 is awesome. If you haven't used Windows in a while, it will rock your world.
I highly doubt it. He's been on OSX. More likely, Windows 7 will just not frustrate him like Vista did. That's what happened for me. It has a lot more featurse in common with OSX now such as it's faux-dock which make going between OSX at home and Win7 at work more comfy. Otherwise, there's absolutely nothing Win7 offers over OSX other than maybe the window edge snap thing, but that's counter-balanced by it still lacking a proper response to expose.

Edit: And yeah, I really don't get why people are buying laptops now for fall. Haven't you heard of Moore's law? We still have about a quarter of a cycle till school starts. You're either going to get better specs or cheaper prices by waiting till right before you need the thing.

So what you're saying is that Windows 7 is on par with OSX, which was basically the only reason to buy a Mac, since a PC is cheaper and easier to use and upgrade and service.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:49 pm

lol macs

ns77770

Bronze

Post by ns77770 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:54 pm

fatduck wrote:lol macs
bootcamp ftw

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:56 pm

ns77770 wrote:
fatduck wrote:lol macs
bootcamp ftw

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:01 pm

bk187 wrote:
geoduck wrote:Edit: And yeah, I really don't get why people are buying laptops now for fall. Haven't you heard of Moore's law? We still have about a quarter of a cycle till school starts. You're either going to get better specs or cheaper prices by waiting till right before you need the thing.
But I want it NAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The specs I got will be all I need. The price I paid will be hard to beat. I'd rather not wait until right before school begins to start using a new machine--I'd rather break it in for a couple months, especially given my hiatus from PCs.

But thanks for your insightful post.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crossingforHYS

Silver

Post by crossingforHYS » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:09 pm

what if your only choice is mac or dell...

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:20 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
bk187 wrote:
geoduck wrote:Edit: And yeah, I really don't get why people are buying laptops now for fall. Haven't you heard of Moore's law? We still have about a quarter of a cycle till school starts. You're either going to get better specs or cheaper prices by waiting till right before you need the thing.
But I want it NAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The specs I got will be all I need. The price I paid will be hard to beat. I'd rather not wait until right before school begins to start using a new machine--I'd rather break it in for a couple months, especially given my hiatus from PCs.

But thanks for your insightful post.
Same. And the battery on my old laptop was just about dead.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:22 pm

kalvano wrote:
geoduck wrote:
kalvano wrote:Windows 7 is awesome. If you haven't used Windows in a while, it will rock your world.
I highly doubt it. He's been on OSX. More likely, Windows 7 will just not frustrate him like Vista did. That's what happened for me. It has a lot more featurse in common with OSX now such as it's faux-dock which make going between OSX at home and Win7 at work more comfy. Otherwise, there's absolutely nothing Win7 offers over OSX other than maybe the window edge snap thing, but that's counter-balanced by it still lacking a proper response to expose.

Edit: And yeah, I really don't get why people are buying laptops now for fall. Haven't you heard of Moore's law? We still have about a quarter of a cycle till school starts. You're either going to get better specs or cheaper prices by waiting till right before you need the thing.

So what you're saying is that Windows 7 is on par with OSX, which was basically the only reason to buy a Mac, since a PC is cheaper and easier to use and upgrade and service.
That's some skillful selective reading. I stated that it has more features in common and that Win7 offers nothing that OSX doesn't have with the conclusion being that he would be less frustrated with Win7 than with Vista (or XP for that matter). That was counter to your statement that Win7 would "rock his world". I'm fairly certain that less annoying barely counts as world rocking.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:44 pm

beachbum wrote:Same. And the battery on my old laptop was just about dead.
So buy a new battery?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:45 pm

bk187 wrote:
So buy a new battery?
maybe he has a mac. hiyooo

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:47 pm

fatduck wrote:
bk187 wrote:
So buy a new battery?
This is true for me :shock: . 8)

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:47 pm

fatduck wrote: maybe he has a mac. hiyooo
Tear that sucker apart yourself and put in a new battery inscribed with "fuck you Steve Jobs." It's what I did with my iPod Mini.

TheTopBloke

Bronze

Post by TheTopBloke » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:48 pm

Just had to purchase a laptop for work. Mac is best. If you need windows you can partition it (this is what I did). Mac. Just get a Mac. All the other stuff I saw was dog shit compared to the Mac. Get the Mac.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wolverine2014

Bronze

Post by wolverine2014 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:49 pm

sorry for the bump but can someone answer this question. Thanks
wolverine2014 wrote:So, I'm pretty set on purchasing either the MacBook Air or Pro. Do you guys suggest I make any upgrades? Note: This laptop will be used solely for law school (no gaming, etc).
Thanks

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:50 pm

fatduck wrote:
bk187 wrote:
So buy a new battery?
Except... they sell new batteries for the Mac. They gotta install it, sure, but they use longer-lasting batteries than most TTT PC companies.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:50 pm

TheTopBloke wrote:Mac. Mac. Mac. Mac. Mac.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:50 pm

bk187 wrote:
fatduck wrote: maybe he has a mac. hiyooo
Tear that sucker apart yourself and put in a new battery inscribed with "fuck you Steve Jobs." It's what I did with my iPod Mini.
i decided that writing steve jobs a check for 2 grand is one of the least effective ways to say "fuck you"

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:00 pm

wolverine2014 wrote:sorry for the bump but can someone answer this question. Thanks
wolverine2014 wrote:So, I'm pretty set on purchasing either the MacBook Air or Pro. Do you guys suggest I make any upgrades? Note: This laptop will be used solely for law school (no gaming, etc).
Thanks
If you get the Air, I'd suggest the RAM upgrade. That'll make the biggest difference for you since drive space is easily offset by dropbox/external drives.

wolverine2014

Bronze

Post by wolverine2014 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:30 pm

geoduck wrote:
wolverine2014 wrote:sorry for the bump but can someone answer this question. Thanks
Thanks
If you get the Air, I'd suggest the RAM upgrade. That'll make the biggest difference for you since drive space is easily offset by dropbox/external drives.
Thanks.
I assume the Pro is good as-is?

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:10 pm

wolverine2014 wrote:
geoduck wrote:
Thanks
Thanks.
I assume the Pro is good as-is?
Pretty much, yeah.

wolverine2014

Bronze

Post by wolverine2014 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:27 pm

thanks

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:17 pm

bk187 wrote:
So buy a new battery?
Why? Those things are expensive, and I was already planning to get a new laptop for law school. Why not just cut out the middle man (i.e. new battery on a shitty laptop) and go straight to the new laptop?

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:35 am

Ordered a new Thinkpad w Sandybridge processor...just released this weekend. So stoked! My last Lenovo lasted me five years and I hope this will do the same.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:25 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Ordered a new Thinkpad w Sandybridge processor...just released this weekend. So stoked! My last Lenovo lasted me five years and I hope this will do the same.
Which model did you get and why? (Just curious.)
beachbum wrote:Why? Those things are expensive, and I was already planning to get a new laptop for law school. Why not just cut out the middle man (i.e. new battery on a shitty laptop) and go straight to the new laptop?
Batteries aren't that bad. I mean they're not cheap but if you don't need the upgraded power then I wouldn't bother with a new laptop (unless you've already got 3-4+ years out of the laptop). I can understand wanting a new laptop and getting it because of that but if my Dell from 2006 hadn't died last year I would still be using it and if it needed a new battery I probably wouldn't get a new laptop. But that's just me.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:45 pm

bk187 wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:Ordered a new Thinkpad w Sandybridge processor...just released this weekend. So stoked! My last Lenovo lasted me five years and I hope this will do the same.
Which model did you get and why? (Just curious.)
beachbum wrote:Why? Those things are expensive, and I was already planning to get a new laptop for law school. Why not just cut out the middle man (i.e. new battery on a shitty laptop) and go straight to the new laptop?
Batteries aren't that bad. I mean they're not cheap but if you don't need the upgraded power then I wouldn't bother with a new laptop (unless you've already got 3-4+ years out of the laptop). I can understand wanting a new laptop and getting it because of that but if my Dell from 2006 hadn't died last year I would still be using it and if it needed a new battery I probably wouldn't get a new laptop. But that's just me.
Meh, it was a little over 4 years old, and it was definitely showing its age. I just didn't want to rely on it to get me through 1L/finals/the most important year of my professional life.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”