Computers for Law School 2011 Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
albanach

Gold

Re: Computers for Law School 2011

Post by albanach » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:53 pm

ph14 wrote: I've run anti-virus software: Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Anything else I need to do?

Are any processes using tons of CPU?

Press the windows key and R, then type taskmgr in the dialogue box and press enter. Click the CPU column header to sort by CPU usage.

Do you have plenty of free space on your hard disk?

Your hard drive could be on the way out. You could download and run the Acronis drive monitor to see if there's any obvious problem there.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:56 pm

albanach wrote:
ph14 wrote: I've run anti-virus software: Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Anything else I need to do?

Press the windows key and R, then type taskmgr in the dialogue box and press enter. Click the CPU column header to sort by CPU usage.

Your hard drive could be on the way out. You could download and run the Acronis drive monitor to see if there's any obvious problem there.
Nothing standing out for processes, Chrome is using the most memory. CPU usage is low right now but if i'm doing a subcite or something when I have documents on each monitor then it sometimes goes crazy. As far as free space, I have probably 30% of my hard drive free, about 100 GB. Should I download the Acronis drive monitor? Just Google for a download link?

Any thoughts on the battery drain issue?

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:05 pm

ph14 wrote:
albanach wrote:

Nothing standing out for processes, Chrome is using the most memory. CPU usage is low right now but if i'm doing a subcite or something when I have documents on each monitor then it sometimes goes crazy. As far as free space, I have probably 30% of my hard drive free, about 100 GB. Should I download the Acronis drive monitor? Just Google for a download link?

Any thoughts on the battery drain issue?
Does the battery last as long as you'd expect in normal use, i.e. with the lid open and you working?

If it's draining when closed, you want to check your power management settings in the control pannel. Make sure it's not set to full performance on battery, and make sure it's set to go to sleep after, say, 10 minutes and hibernate after about 30 minutes.

Can you see that the screen light is being turned off when the lid gets closed?

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:12 pm

Was given a Thinkpad SL410 by my company 3 months ago. Light and durable. Was a bit disappoint that it wasn't a T-Series... but specs are specs!

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:14 pm

[youtube]bvJuLK65dio[/youtube]

This looks really cool.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LAWYER2

Silver

Post by LAWYER2 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:53 pm

FWIW, I shared my law school technology recommendations in a blog post. Being an IT person and a law student helped to avoid costly mistakes.

http://www.thecadillaclawyer.com/?page_id=140

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:51 pm

LAWYER2 wrote:FWIW, I shared my law school technology recommendations in a blog post. Being an IT person and a law student helped to avoid costly mistakes.

How on earth do you get the $6,000 figure from a $1,200 grad plus loan? Even if you take a full 30 years to repay, the actual figure would be half that.

LAWYER2

Silver

Post by LAWYER2 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:32 pm

albanach wrote:
LAWYER2 wrote:FWIW, I shared my law school technology recommendations in a blog post. Being an IT person and a law student helped to avoid costly mistakes.

How on earth do you get the $6,000 figure from a $1,200 grad plus loan? Even if you take a full 30 years to repay, the actual figure would be half that.
LoL, I may have overestimated the interest a bit, however that wasn't the point of the post. My main concern was conveying that you don't need much tech overkill to succeed at law school.
There was a classmate who used an ipad w/ a blue-tooth keyboard the entire time. As I pointed out in my post, I used the same Lenovo Thinkpad (T60) throughout law school and on my bar exam. All you need is something with internet access, relatively decent amount of ram, and MS Office products (if that's your preference).

Weird thing about MS Office . . . my firm primarily uses Word Perfect! I'd never used it before till now, lol

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:57 pm

LAWYER2 wrote:
albanach wrote:

LoL, I may have overestimated the interest a bit, however that wasn't the point of the post. My main concern was conveying that you don't need much tech overkill to succeed at law school.
There was a classmate who used an ipad w/ a blue-tooth keyboard the entire time. As I pointed out in my post, I used the same Lenovo Thinkpad (T60) throughout law school and on my bar exam. All you need is something with internet access, relatively decent amount of ram, and MS Office products (if that's your preference).

Weird thing about MS Office . . . my firm primarily uses Word Perfect! I'd never used it before till now, lol
I'd rather be covered in lotus seed pods erupting from my skin than use word perfect.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:53 pm

God damnit Pear. Why did I google that. Skin is crawling. TY

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:13 pm

beach_terror wrote:God damnit Pear. Why did I google that. Skin is crawling. TY
Curiosity killed the cat.
:lol:

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:37 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
beach_terror wrote:God damnit Pear. Why did I google that. Skin is crawling. TY
Curiosity killed the cat.
:lol:
I've seen that shit before, but I never had a name to go with it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”