useful upper level classes for corp trans. firm jerbs Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
dood

Gold

useful upper level classes for corp trans. firm jerbs

Post by dood » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:07 pm

without talking about specialties (i.e. patent, bankruptcy, etc), and ignoring bar subjects, these are useful classes for practicing corp transactional shit in a big firm:

corporations
secured transactions
commercial paper

wat else??

thanx

edcrane

Bronze

Re: useful upper level classes for corp trans. firm jerbs

Post by edcrane » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:28 pm

sec reg
corporate tax

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:38 pm

edcrane wrote:sec reg
corporate tax
Yep.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:43 pm

Bankruptcy wouldn't be bad to be exposed to.

If available,

accounting
corporate finance

solidsnake

Silver

Post by solidsnake » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:10 pm

pretty much same position as OP

Is corporate tax that helpful? I heard fed income tax is necessary for all informed lawyers to have a basic literacy in a subject as pervasive as tax; but if you're not planning on specializing in tax law, corporate tax seems like overkill, no? Will taking it really give future M&A/private equity associates a leg up?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

edcrane

Bronze

Post by edcrane » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:37 pm

solidsnake wrote:pretty much same position as OP

Is corporate tax that helpful? I heard fed income tax is necessary for all informed lawyers to have a basic literacy in a subject as pervasive as tax; but if you're not planning on specializing in tax law, corporate tax seems like overkill, no? Will taking it really give future M&A/private equity associates a leg up?
A lot of M&A deal structures are motivated by corporate tax concerns. While I doubt corporate tax is something you'd use every day, it would probably give you some insight into why transactions are structured the way they are, and it might help you spot tax issues in practice. As there aren't that many core transactional classes, taking corporate tax seems like a good idea to me.

solidsnake

Silver

Post by solidsnake » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:53 pm

edcrane wrote:
solidsnake wrote:pretty much same position as OP

A lot of M&A deal structures are motivated by corporate tax concerns. While I doubt corporate tax is something you'd use every day, it would probably give you some insight into why transactions are structured the way they are, and it might help you spot tax issues in practice. As there aren't that many core transactional classes, taking corporate tax seems like a good idea to me.
fair enough. thanks for the advice. i agree that tax seems to be the 500lb elephant in the room whenever corp-law profs are confronted with the question of why certain transactions were structured the way they were. Just wasn't sure if corporate tax, the class, was going to fill in that gaping black hole of knowledge and insight, but it wont hurt to find out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”