2L gunners

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
gradesmatter

2L gunners

Postby gradesmatter » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:08 pm

Which upper-level classes are the worst for having the most gunners?

conn09

Re: 2L gunners

Postby conn09 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:16 pm

Fed Courts

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:38 pm

Crim pro adjudication gets a lot of crim law gunners....

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:40 pm

Does it matter? I thought after 1L grades don't matter anymore :D

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:43 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Does it matter? I thought after 1L grades don't matter anymore :D

This could be another reason why transfers do so well. The top students are all chill b/c they are on LR and have 2L summers lined up and the median students are all just like "meh, 2 semesters and I'm median, that's just how it is" and then just go through the motions. Transfers still have something to prove at their new school.

dood

Postby dood » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:44 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Does it matter? I thought after 1L grades don't matter anymore :D

they do if u want to clerk. which is why fed cts is gunner central. i believe some 80% of my fed cts class is on LR, including the EiC.

JG Hall

Postby JG Hall » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:51 pm

LLMs don't shut up, but they're not traditional gunners (because they don't give a shit about grades), just narcissists.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:54 pm

JG Hall wrote:LLMs don't shut up, but they're not traditional gunners (because they don't give a shit about grades), just narcissists.

To be fair, that's only half of them. The other half don't really speak English, don't prepare for class, and don't give a fuck.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:02 pm

Renzo wrote:
JG Hall wrote:LLMs don't shut up, but they're not traditional gunners (because they don't give a shit about grades), just narcissists.

To be fair, that's only half of them. The other half don't really speak English, don't prepare for class, and don't give a fuck.

This just made me lol hard. So freakin' true.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:18 am

Renzo wrote:

the worst is when the half that doesn't speak english and the half that doesn't shut up are the same half.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:01 am

traehekat wrote:
Renzo wrote:

the worst is when the half that doesn't speak english and the half that doesn't shut up are the same half.

That would suck. The LLM's in my business type class are like that but in my other classes they just look straight at the professor not saying anything when they are cold called.

Wavelet

Postby Wavelet » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:09 am

dood wrote:

they do if u want to clerk. which is why fed cts is gunner central. i believe some 80% of my fed cts class is on LR, including the EiC.

I'm not that worried when I see a class stacked with a bunch of executive-level LR editors (e.g., EIC)--they're usually too busy with the journal to really destroy. It's often the "lesser" law review editors that you need to be concerned about--the ones with grades high enough that they didn't need to gun for EIC to be competitive for a clerkship.

Also: Admin Law is gunner central at my school.

HarlandBassett

Postby HarlandBassett » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:33 pm

A'nold wrote:
traehekat wrote:
Renzo wrote:

That would suck. The LLM's in my business type class are like that but in my other classes they just look straight at the professor not saying anything when they are cold called.

what are you saying? that it is easy to be in the top 10% of the grading curve in a tax LLM program?

Postby 98234872348 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:44 pm

Conflicts and fed courts.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:39 pm

A'nold wrote:
traehekat wrote:
Renzo wrote:
JG Hall wrote:

what are you saying? that it is easy to be in the top 10% of the grading curve in a tax LLM program?

What are YOU saying?

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:40 pm

Why does everyone hate gunners - like avoiding classes cause they might have gunners?

I am starting next year, and I can see gunners being annoying like the same way those people in a bar who always have to be right are annoying, but you normally just look them in the eye, say "that's great man" and then ignore them.

do they set the curve or something? what's the big deal?

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:43 pm

justadude55 wrote:Why does everyone hate gunners - like avoiding classes cause they might have gunners?

I am starting next year, and I can see gunners being annoying like the same way those people in a bar who always have to be right are annoying, but you normally just look them in the eye, say "that's great man" and then ignore them.

Bwahahahahaha.

Actually, for this thread, people are using the word "gunner" a little differently to actually mean students that try very hard and ALSO get good grades. These are the rarer species.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:24 pm

note: never take Fed courts, don't try for clerkship

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:31 pm

A'nold wrote:
justadude55 wrote:Why does everyone hate gunners - like avoiding classes cause they might have gunners?

Bwahahahahaha.

Actually, for this thread, people are using the word "gunner" a little differently to actually mean students that try very hard and ALSO get good grades. These are the rarer species.

I don't understand how gunner would mean this. Doesn't it mean trigger happy people - I.E. people quick to fire. If they fire, and are right, aren't they more of a sniper?

Wavelet

Postby Wavelet » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:47 pm

justadude55 wrote:
A'nold wrote:

Bwahahahahaha.

I don't understand how gunner would mean this. Doesn't it mean trigger happy people - I.E. people quick to fire. If they fire, and are right, aren't they more of a sniper?

For whatever reason, "gunner" takes on a slightly different meaning when used to describe 2/3Ls than when used to describe 1Ls. Maybe "striver" is more appropriate.

Tsispilos

Postby Tsispilos » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:09 pm

Renzo wrote:

so true

Tsispilos

Postby Tsispilos » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:20 pm

but in my experience, fed courts and crim pro have had the highest gunner concentrations

legends159

Postby legends159 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:36 pm

traehekat wrote:
Renzo wrote:

lol yup. but some know so much more about the subject than we do b/c they've practiced in the area for years.

seriousstudenttt

Postby seriousstudenttt » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:11 pm

--ImageRemoved--

admin law

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”