grades advice ...feeling discouraged

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
anonymcoffee

grades advice ...feeling discouraged

Postby anonymcoffee » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:30 am

As every day passes in law school, I feel more and more disappointment and discouragement. I feel that I am not happy anymore and I don't enjoy anything. I hate my median grades. I want a chance to redo my first semester. I come here and read all of the advice and wish I would have changed what I did.

Even if I do amazing this semester, I am screwed and I am left with debt and poor job prospects. I have no more energy and motivation, and everything I do, I question because what is the point of doing something if you're not excelling at it?

(Maybe TLS is not the best place to look at...seeing all the exceptional people with their 3.8s and up, and with 1000/per week jobs).

E and E, doing my own outline, studying, not doing anything but reading/outlining during the week has not helped - it seems you can't fix stupid. I have no connections so I'm also screwed there, plus nothing more fun that networking with a sub par gpa at a t20 GW. Law school is making me feel miserable and stupid.

JazzOne

Re: grades advice ...feeling discouraged

Postby JazzOne » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:32 am

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:37 am

anonymcoffee wrote:As every day passes in law school, I feel more and more disappointment and discouragement. I feel that I am not happy anymore and I don't enjoy anything. I hate my median grades. I want a chance to redo my first semester. I come here and read all of the advice and wish I would have changed what I did.

Even if I do amazing this semester, I am screwed and I am left with debt and poor job prospects. I have no more energy and motivation, and everything I do, I question because what is the point of doing something if you're not excelling at it?

(Maybe TLS is not the best place to look at...seeing all the exceptional people with their 3.8s and up, and with 1000/per week jobs).

E and E, doing my own outline, studying, not doing anything but reading/outlining during the week has not helped - it seems you can't fix stupid. I have no connections so I'm also screwed there, plus nothing more fun that networking with a sub par gpa at a t20 GW. Law school is making me feel miserable and stupid.

Yeah, this forum is more for people debating which SCOTUS clerkship they should accept. You may want to head on over to XOXO or someplace similar.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:39 am

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
anonymcoffee wrote:As every day passes in law school, I feel more and more disappointment and discouragement. I feel that I am not happy anymore and I don't enjoy anything. I hate my median grades. I want a chance to redo my first semester. I come here and read all of the advice and wish I would have changed what I did.

Yeah, this forum is more for people debating which SCOTUS clerkship they should accept. You may want to head on over to XOXO or someplace similar.

lol

Damn, noobs laying it down lately.

anonymcoffee

Postby anonymcoffee » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:41 am

sorry for inconveniencing you JazzOne

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:45 am

anonymcoffee wrote:sorry for inconveniencing you JazzOne

My bad. I was just harassing you about this:

anonymcoffee wrote:do I even have the chance to prove that I will be a lawyer or will I be stuck in a government job or some crappy little town firm?

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:59 am

If you feel you have to stay in law school (reminder: you don't), then I recommend finding a paralegal job to keep you occupied during the day and take your mind off schoolwork. Getting better grades is an uphill battle from here and there is an excellent chance you'll find yourself in the same position another semester from now that you are in right now, especially if you are having trouble with your present mindframe. Having a support staff job could give you an in at a firm too.

anonymcoffee

Postby anonymcoffee » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:00 am

JazzOne

My bad, I have a different understanding from you of what a good lawyer does, but I'm glad you set me straight. I guess 5 years in this country isn't enough to teach me how to say something everyone will agree with.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:04 am

anonymcoffee wrote:JazzOne

My bad, I have a different understanding from you of what a good lawyer does, but I'm glad you set me straight. I guess 5 years in this country isn't enough to teach me how to say something everyone will agree with.

if you say things everyone agrees with youre most likely a very boring person

Columbia Law

Postby Columbia Law » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:05 am

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:

I would say XOXO has a higher percentage of successful people than TLS. People here are asking whether they have a better chance of biglaw at Brooklyn or 'dozo. There you get laughed at if you go to GW.

Go to JDU and ask...although those Drexel/DePaul scumbags will tell you to drop out.

If you stay, I would advise you to abort--get OK grades--just network bro.

anonymcoffee

Postby anonymcoffee » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:05 am

I keep reading that 2L grades do not matter ...is there no way to bring up the GPA during that year or during 3L? Or do those more advanced classes not grade on a curve and everyone does well?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:45 am

anonymcoffee wrote:I keep reading that 2L grades do not matter ...is there no way to bring up the GPA during that year or during 3L? Or do those more advanced classes not grade on a curve and everyone does well?

2L OCI occurs before 2L and 3L grades come out.

flcath

Postby flcath » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:49 am

How much you paying? I feel the same as you, but for totally different reasons (I think this whole profession is laughably stupid).

As bad as it feels, the difference b/t paying $7K/yr. and $41K/yr. is the difference b/t sucking it up and peacein' out.

JG Hall

Postby JG Hall » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:51 am

(Maybe TLS is not the best place to look at...seeing all the exceptional people with their 3.8s and up, and with 1000 3000/per week jobs).

fix't

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:54 am

Yes the classes are "easier" during 2L and 3L year because there are less curved classes, so your GPA will rise, but so will everybody else's. The median average for 2Ls at every law school is higher than 1Ls. The median average for 3Ls at every law school is higher than 2Ls. Your relative standing remains the same unless you can surpass everyone going forward.

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:57 am

JazzOne wrote:
anonymcoffee wrote:I keep reading that 2L grades do not matter ...is there no way to bring up the GPA during that year or during 3L? Or do those more advanced classes not grade on a curve and everyone does well?

2L OCI occurs before 2L and 3L grades come out.

+1 about not counting for 2L OCI; but for the huge majority of students who don't land jobs during 2L OCI, 2L and 3L grades are very important.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:00 am

OP, I am sure many people are feeling what you are about law school, but probably most don't share about it as openly. On the other hand, you sound discouraged to the point where I wonder if you might benefit from seeking out professional counseling services or a professional life coach. It just sounds like you feel your situation and life is almost hopeless (or perhaps completely hopeless)- this is not true (as things can change and in the big picture of life you are in a relatively very privileged position to be where you are), but when a major goal may not be in reach (if you were aiming for biglaw for instance) it can seem like the end of the world I think. But seriously, while I don't know where you are really at emotionally or if you are as discouraged as I think you might be, if I were you I would consider getting some sort of professional counseling help so you can sort through your difficulties. Just my opinion- please take it or leave it.

RUQRU

Postby RUQRU » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:09 am

MrAnon wrote:If you feel you have to stay in law school (reminder: you don't) {emphasis added}

Thanks! I took your advice and quit! Best thing I ever did!

Good luck all...

rose711

Postby rose711 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:18 am

Is there a question in here? OP I have a lot of sympathy for you and your emotional suffering. I think you need to try to find a therapist who can help you. The fact you don't feel any better from your first post that JazzOne referenced makes me think that you are not improving your mental state.

Plenty of people ask for help with studying or improving grades or whether they should drop out in this forum. So don't think you need to ask other people for advice.

I am not sure what your question is though. I think you need advice and emotional support that, as you can see in this thread, isn't readily provided here or any internet forum.

At any rate, you need to finish this semester. So figure out how to best get through it with the best possible grades.

Remember that you can get past this - law school isn't right for you, you will find something that is. And remember that many people are in your situation grade and debtwise, many more people are in your situation than those who will be getting biglaw jobs. (in another thread I counted the potential number of biglaw associate jobs in NYC as a little over 4,0000)

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:56 am

RUQRU wrote:
MrAnon wrote:If you feel you have to stay in law school (reminder: you don't) {emphasis added}

Thanks! I took your advice and quit! Best thing I ever did!

Good luck all...

really?

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:53 am

Even if I do amazing this semester, I am screwed and I am left with debt and poor job prospects.

WHy would this be? If you got median grades, and throw down this semester, then you could end up with a decent GPA.

My GPA was .4 higher in Spring than in Fall. It's definitely doable; don't throw in the towel yet.

Jackson Pollock

Postby Jackson Pollock » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:11 am

GATORTIM wrote:really?

edcrane

Postby edcrane » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:24 am

pasteurizedmilk wrote:

Even if I do amazing this semester, I am screwed and I am left with debt and poor job prospects.

WHy would this be? If you got median grades, and throw down this semester, then you could end up with a decent GPA.

My GPA was .4 higher in Spring than in Fall. It's definitely doable; don't throw in the towel yet.

I had a similar experience--my spring GPA was .8 higher than my fall GPA, and my prospects changed immensely. OP, don't give up.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:02 am

your grades aren't too far from the top 35%. which isn't automatically that great, but since (afaik) no one can tell where you actually fall, you can just pretend you're top 20% if you get there.

PitchO20

Postby PitchO20 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:15 am

Suck it up and work. People have lived through way worse shit than LS for more than 3 years.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”