How much more challenging is law school compared to UG?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

LS compared to UG?

No comparison. LS is 10x more challenging
38%
Much worse than UG
29%
Slightly worse than UG
20%
About the same
4%
LS is easier than UG
10%

Total votes: 168

General Tso

How much more challenging is law school compared to UG?

Postby General Tso » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:51 pm

discuss.

I feel like I work about 3x as hard as I did in UG.

fatduck

Re: How much more challenging is law school compared to UG?

Postby fatduck » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:54 pm

HopefulFish? Is that you?

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:55 pm

fatduck wrote:HopefulFish? Is that you?

has this been done before?

LogosEther

Postby LogosEther » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:46 pm

I was engineering in UG and I worked much harder in UG for a much lower GPA (AND GPA/rank relative to my classmates). My UG and LS are at different but similarly regarded/ranked institutions.

Sean Bateman

Postby Sean Bateman » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:48 pm

not exactly more challenging...definitely more time consuming.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:36 pm

Should we attempt to exclude non-school factors (e.g., I worked in undergrad, which takes up time and makes everything more challenging)?

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:40 pm

Tag. I'd like to know more about this as well. My entire life, I heard the next level would be more difficult (i.e. middle school so much harder than elementary school; high school so much harder than middle school; college so much harder than high school). But I have found each level to be just as easy as the previous one(not to sound like a dbag). Is law school the living hell (work-wise) that everyone describes it as? Or is it just hyperbole, like how everyone described college to me when I was a senior in high school?

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:42 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Tag. I'd like to know more about this as well. My entire life, I heard the next level would be more difficult (i.e. middle school so much harder than elementary school; high school so much harder than middle school; college so much harder than high school). But I have found each level to be just as easy as the previous one(not to sound like a dbag). Is law school the living hell (work-wise) that everyone describes it as? Or is it just hyperbole, like how everyone described college to me when I was a senior in high school?

Haha, EXACT same thing with me.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:19 am

Knock wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:Tag. I'd like to know more about this as well. My entire life, I heard the next level would be more difficult (i.e. middle school so much harder than elementary school; high school so much harder than middle school; college so much harder than high school). But I have found each level to be just as easy as the previous one(not to sound like a dbag). Is law school the living hell (work-wise) that everyone describes it as? Or is it just hyperbole, like how everyone described college to me when I was a senior in high school?

Judging by this poll, we is fooked and law school will finally live up to the reputation that HS and UG never did :shock:

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:19 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Knock wrote:

Judging by this poll, we is fooked and law school will finally live up to the reputation that HS and UG never did :shock:

Dammit, haha :lol:.

Younger Abstention

Postby Younger Abstention » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:34 am

Slightly easier than a liberal arts major such as political science, unless you are vying for top 10%. But that isn't a reflection of the difficulty of the subject matter, but rather the bell curve.

The material is quite easy to comprehend in nearly all classes.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:45 am

It is what you make it. It's really that simple. I know people below median who work their asses off. I know others who are in top 15% who go out four nights a week.

Sometimes I think that those who work 14 hours a day actually hurt themselves.

MarkTwain

Postby MarkTwain » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:45 am

The "difficulty" of law school increases exponentially depending on what you're aiming to get out of it. If you're gunning for really high grades, it can consume you.* If you're not, it's very, very easy.

*I realize that gunning for high grades =/= high grades. I'm simply referring to people who are working hard enough to maximize their chances.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:46 am

I knew a slacker from our school who went to Yale. He said it was super easy.

I also knew our student body president/4.0/honors student/debate captain who went to William & Mary and said it made her want to drop out and move to Shanghai.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:52 am

No one concept in law school is more difficult than any single concept most people learn in undergrad. It's the volume and depth of exploration that gets the best of people.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:53 am

It is the same. The trouble is the curve. If you did poorly in curved classes in college--econ if you took it?---you'll do about the same in law school.

soaponarope

Postby soaponarope » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:29 am

In UG... I could attend 0 classes, and simply read the notes posted online two-weeks prior to the final/make some flash cards and get an A.

There is no comparison.

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:45 am

I began studying for the majority of my exams the day before or the day of with great results. If I went to the majority of the classes, hardly any studying was required.

Aside from regular day classes: night classes, online classes, and summer classes required even less effort.

MPMP

Postby MPMP » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:45 am

Big difference between my hardest UG semester and easiest ones, but I'd say the first third to half of the semester is on par with my harder UG semesters, and then the last 6-8 weeks are about twice as much work as the first half of the semester.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:08 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Is law school the living hell (work-wise) that everyone describes it as? Or is it just hyperbole, like how everyone described college to me when I was a senior in high school?

No. Only the last month or so of the semester.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:12 pm

UG was a complete joke compared to Law school. I skipped weeks of classes and still got A's in UG, I doubt this would work out well in law school...well, except in my Crim Law class.

gatorgirl4life

Postby gatorgirl4life » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:17 pm

my high school was MUCH more challenging than UG. everyone the year above me from my HS who went to law school has told me that the workload in law school is exactly like it was in high school (and that scares me a bit haha).

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:37 pm

gatorgirl4life wrote:my high school was MUCH more challenging than UG. everyone the year above me from my HS who went to law school has told me that the workload in law school is exactly like it was in high school (and that scares me a bit haha).

Good luck, I wouldn't bank on that statement.

wesker

Postby wesker » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:54 pm

MrAnon wrote:It is the same. The trouble is the curve.

donzoli

Postby donzoli » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:57 pm

There needs to be an option for depends on your major. Could also depend on your undergrad school.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”