How much of a gunner are you? (hypo)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

You know the answer. What're the chances you raise your hand?

100%
13%
75-99%
20%
50-75%
18%
25-50%
17%
1-25%
23%
0%
9%

Total votes: 220

soaponarope

Re: How much of a gunner are you? (hypo)

Postby soaponarope » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:45 am

My Con Law professor never cold calls on people who voluntarily participate. In fact, most of my profs are the same. So... if I'm sure on the answer I'll raise my hand if only to avoid cold calls in the future.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:51 am

soaponarope wrote:My Con Law professor never cold calls on people who voluntarily participate. In fact, most of my profs are the same. So... if I'm sure on the answer I'll raise my hand if only to avoid cold calls in the future.

This.

It's nice to be able to sit around and not worry about getting cold called when I haven't done the reading. Coming to class having not done the reading on more than one occasion probably also disqualifies me for true gunner status.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:16 pm

I talk in class when
a) I get cold-called
b) trying to boost some poor cold-called sucker out of the hole they're digging, because it's nice when people do that for me
c) when (usually a true gunner) says something so absolutely retarded I raise my hand to counter and get prof brownie points (works shocking well)
d) extended awkward silences where the class is silent and I feel like proving I have been paying attention and not playing Freecell, and also when I just want to get the discussion moving again so class is over quicker.

I do not bring up hypos, unrelated stuff, etc., because that's incredibly annoying.

thwalls

Postby thwalls » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:20 pm

I raise my hand on every question that I know, I found that it buys me some cred so that when a question comes up that I don't know, the prof will avoid me and look for more unsuspecting prey.

Also, I'm an evening student. When you're in Civ Pro and it's 8:45, class participation keeps you from playing around on Facebook/TLS/Fark

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:05 am

thwalls wrote:I raise my hand on every question that I know, I found that it buys me some cred so that when a question comes up that I don't know, the prof will avoid me and look for more unsuspecting prey.

I have employed this strategy on several occasions.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:11 am

If you know the answer why wouldnt you raise you hand?

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:40 am

dr123 wrote:If you know the answer why wouldnt you raise you hand?

So you're not always that person.

wellington

Postby wellington » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:25 pm

kalvano wrote:Less than 0%. The only professor I have who opens it up to people like that will absolutely call on you all the time if you volunteer.

+1

DamnLSAT

Postby DamnLSAT » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:35 pm

Ok, I will freely admit I am a 0L and have yet to attend a real law class (I don't really count the two I've sat in on), but I do not understand how people can go weeks at a time without participating in class.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:34 pm

DamnLSAT wrote:Ok, I will freely admit I am a 0L and have yet to attend a real law class (I don't really count the two I've sat in on), but I do not understand how people can go weeks at a time without participating in class.

It's extremely easy.

rdcws000

Postby rdcws000 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:56 pm

As a general life rule I try not to speak unless I have some kind of value to add that no one else is adding. This is why I picked between 1-25%. When the prof asks a question I wait to see how many "oooh oooh ooohhh, me me me" hand-raisers there are, and there are usually plenty of them. In the rare instance (maybe about 5%) where no one has anything to say, I may raise my hand as long as I at least have a clue what I'm talking about.

On the other hand, one of my profs makes an obvious gensture everytime someone makes a decent comment, by scribbling furiously on his seating chart. I assume this is something along the lines of participation marks. So, in his class I have increased my percentage a bit, maybe to 25%, because I think he takes participation seriously and it could actually impact my grade.

aspire2more

Postby aspire2more » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:54 pm

DamnLSAT wrote:Ok, I will freely admit I am a 0L and have yet to attend a real law class (I don't really count the two I've sat in on), but I do not understand how people can go weeks at a time without participating in class.

I'm also a 0L and I almost never spoke in class in undergrad unless it was a seminar. The people I do not understand are the ones who try to answer most questions almost every class. The opposite extreme I completely get. :D

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”