How much of a gunner are you? (hypo)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

You know the answer. What're the chances you raise your hand?

100%
29
13%
75-99%
45
20%
50-75%
40
18%
25-50%
37
17%
1-25%
50
23%
0%
19
9%
 
Total votes: 220

mintjulep
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:02 pm

How much of a gunner are you? (hypo)

Postby mintjulep » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:54 pm

50-person class. Prof asks a Q and silence - no one knows/responds.
You know the answer. What're the chances you raise your hand?

Just curious about everyone's classroom-participation style. In any normal academic setting I'd go 0% for sure, but our professors all adjust for participation, so...about 25% for me.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: How much of a gunner are you? (hypo)

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:55 pm

I really suck at participation.

I generally don't have all that much to say in class.

Edit: I will, however, take softball questions if I think it will help me not get called on later.
Last edited by prezidentv8 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

missinglink
Posts: 946
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:49 am

Re: How much of a gunner are you? (hypo)

Postby missinglink » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:59 pm

I won't be the first one to jump in. But if the prof asks a question and is greeted with silence, then I'll raise my hand if I know the answer. There's no point in dragging it out. Once the prof gets the answer, the discussion moves on.

2011Law
Posts: 822
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: How much of a gunner are you? (hypo)

Postby 2011Law » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:01 pm

That's what a gunner is? I thought a gunner was someone who raised their hand every 15 seconds to say some remotely related point, and I've seen many of those in UG. I'm a 0L, but if the professor asked a question that I knew the answer to, I'd answer it if no one else would.

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2824
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: How much of a gunner are you? (hypo)

Postby haus » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:02 pm

In most cases I would raise my hand and provide the answer I think is correct. The exception being if I have been abnormally active in the class very recently, then I would consider letting it go by.

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: How much of a gunner are you? (hypo)

Postby wiseowl » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:22 pm

I've found upper level classes seriously goose grades for participation. So previously the answer is 0, now it's quite a bit higher.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: How much of a gunner are you? (hypo)

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:38 pm

wiseowl wrote:I've found upper level classes seriously goose grades for participation. So previously the answer is 0, now it's quite a bit higher.


I believe you've discovered the primary reason behind my believed-to-be-class-low ethics seminar grade.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: How much of a gunner are you? (hypo)

Postby Cupidity » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:40 pm

I only participate to bail people out when they are dying on call. Otherwise I keep my mouth shut.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: How much of a gunner are you? (hypo)

Postby Cupidity » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:40 pm

I only participate to bail people out when they are dying on call. Otherwise I keep my mouth shut.

missinglink
Posts: 946
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:49 am

Re: How much of a gunner are you? (hypo)

Postby missinglink » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:41 pm

haus wrote:In most cases I would raise my hand and provide the answer I think is correct. The exception being if I have been abnormally active in the class very recently, then I would consider letting it go by.


I should amend my response to add this. Although I've found that if I have been particularly active, the teacher might actually call on me to supply an answer. Which means no mental breaks for fear of being caught not listening.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4852
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: How much of a gunner are you? (hypo)

Postby Borhas » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:49 pm

mintjulep wrote:50-person class. Prof asks a Q and silence - no one knows/responds.
You know the answer. What're the chances you raise your hand?

Just curious about everyone's classroom-participation style. In any normal academic setting I'd go 0% for sure, but our professors all adjust for participation, so...about 25% for me.


830 AM class 20%
930AM 25%
1030-2 75%
3PM and on- 35%-25%

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: How much of a gunner are you? (hypo)

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:53 pm

In any class except ConLaw its almost 100% of the time. I really don't see a problem. If no one is answering its just holding up the class and I basically just want to move the lecture along. In Con Law its close to 0% cause every time I want to raise my hand I just assume its wrong and most of the time it is.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: How much of a gunner are you? (hypo)

Postby traehekat » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:55 pm

Bad poll to measure what a gunner is. Gunners prolong pointless discussions. If I know the answer, and I know it is not something that is going to open me up to a bunch of follow up questions, I will more often than not raise my hand. Almost always it is in an effort to just move the discussion along.

A better question may be if your class is involved in an extended, pointless policy debate, how likely are you to raise your hand just to get your opinion in. My answer to that would probably be 10% of the time, and it is almost always when I feel like I actually do have a decent point, as opposed to just spewing out whatever pops into my head.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4852
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: How much of a gunner are you? (hypo)

Postby Borhas » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:06 pm

traehekat wrote:Bad poll to measure what a gunner is. Gunners prolong pointless discussions. If I know the answer, and I know it is not something that is going to open me up to a bunch of follow up questions, I will more often than not raise my hand. Almost always it is in an effort to just move the discussion along.

A better question may be if your class is involved in an extended, pointless policy debate, how likely are you to raise your hand just to get your opinion in. My answer to that would probably be 10% of the time, and it is almost always when I feel like I actually do have a decent point, as opposed to just spewing out whatever pops into my head.


Gunners come in many varieties because there are a lot of things people can do to take that label (but I wouldn't say all gunners are annoying or bad)

trying too hard (studying every Friday night)
talking multiple times in every class (regardless of quality of points)
bringing up anecdotal BS more than 1x a month
vehemently disagreeing with another student or prof (in douchey way) on more than one occasion
Asking for tangentially relevant hypos > 1/month

I count myself a gunner because I did some combo of #1 and #2 last semester (well not on Friday nights) and still talk in class every week. I don't think I say stupid things though, or piss anyone off so I don't think of it as a bad thing... though I do think it is arrogant of me to have a greater voice than the people that don't talk... but I think that's mostly a matter of personal choice.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: How much of a gunner are you? (hypo)

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:19 pm

I talked more last semester. This semester ConLaw is too scary for me, Crim pro he just hates everyone and doesn't tolerate people raising their hands, Property has enough people bitching about whats "fair" back and forth for me to even bother, and I talk in Civ Pro about once a week.

Although I study every friday till at least 7 so I guess I qualify under your #1.

User avatar
king3780
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: How much of a gunner are you? (hypo)

Postby king3780 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:00 pm

I've found myself talking much more in classes this semester than I have in the previous three semesters. Part of it is the smaller classes, but part of it is I feel more compelled to answer when I know what to say and no one else is raising their hands. When profs ask questions I generally keep my hand down until they've scanned the room at least twice, or I start feeling sorry for them (for getting no response), whichever comes first.

BeenDidThat
Posts: 704
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:18 am

Re: How much of a gunner are you? (hypo)

Postby BeenDidThat » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:03 pm

I have taught classes where people are dead silent all the damn time. So I raise my hand the vast majority of the time this happens so the professor can progress through the lesson without awkward (and sometimes confusing, for the prof) minute-long silences.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: How much of a gunner are you? (hypo)

Postby kalvano » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:09 pm

Less than 0%. The only professor I have who opens it up to people like that will absolutely call on you all the time if you volunteer.

User avatar
solotee
Posts: 481
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: How much of a gunner are you? (hypo)

Postby solotee » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:51 pm

0%.

Haven't raised my hand or spoke once in class so far this semester.

User avatar
MBZags
Posts: 552
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:21 pm

Re: How much of a gunner are you? (hypo)

Postby MBZags » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:42 pm

solotee wrote:0%.

Haven't raised my hand or spoke once in class so far this semester.


+1

User avatar
Wahoo1L
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:35 am

Re: How much of a gunner are you? (hypo)

Postby Wahoo1L » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:13 pm

If I like the professor/class, I'd put the odds around 30-35%. If I don't like the class, I'd put the odds at 5%. If the class is winding down and the professor will let us out, I'd put the odds at 100% even if I don't know the answer.

Omerta
Posts: 381
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:47 pm

Re: How much of a gunner are you? (hypo)

Postby Omerta » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:28 am

Borhas wrote:
traehekat wrote:Bad poll to measure what a gunner is. Gunners prolong pointless discussions. If I know the answer, and I know it is not something that is going to open me up to a bunch of follow up questions, I will more often than not raise my hand. Almost always it is in an effort to just move the discussion along.

A better question may be if your class is involved in an extended, pointless policy debate, how likely are you to raise your hand just to get your opinion in. My answer to that would probably be 10% of the time, and it is almost always when I feel like I actually do have a decent point, as opposed to just spewing out whatever pops into my head.


Gunners come in many varieties because there are a lot of things people can do to take that label (but I wouldn't say all gunners are annoying or bad)

trying too hard (studying every Friday night)
talking multiple times in every class (regardless of quality of points)
bringing up anecdotal BS more than 1x a month
vehemently disagreeing with another student or prof (in douchey way) on more than one occasion
Asking for tangentially relevant hypos > 1/month

I count myself a gunner because I did some combo of #1 and #2 last semester (well not on Friday nights) and still talk in class every week. I don't think I say stupid things though, or piss anyone off so I don't think of it as a bad thing... though I do think it is arrogant of me to have a greater voice than the people that don't talk... but I think that's mostly a matter of personal choice.


#1 is called being a good student. The rest are massively gunnerish. There is something to be said for talking in class. One of my profs told me s/he bumped me up a half grade because of my class participation.

LoriBelle
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:00 pm

Re: How much of a gunner are you? (hypo)

Postby LoriBelle » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:10 pm

I speak in class in only one of three situations:

1. The professor cold-calls me.

2. The professor factors participation into the course grade. In one of my classes this semester, participation accounts for 20% of our grade. I volunteer about once per week, but only when what I have to say is relevant.

3. The professor asks a question and is met with silence. The silence lasts for more than 10 seconds and becomes awkward. The professor reaches for his class roll to cold-call some poor unsuspecting shoe-shopper, and I know the answer to the question.

uci2013
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:32 am

Re: How much of a gunner are you? (hypo)

Postby uci2013 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:43 pm

mintjulep wrote:50-person class. Prof asks a Q and silence - no one knows/responds.
You know the answer. What're the chances you raise your hand?

Just curious about everyone's classroom-participation style. In any normal academic setting I'd go 0% for sure, but our professors all adjust for participation, so...about 25% for me.


I'm less likely to answer if I've already been active in class that day; but if it gets painful I will eventually cave and speak-up. In general I don't like to hog the spotlight.

User avatar
violinst
Posts: 230
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:23 pm

Re: How much of a gunner are you? (hypo)

Postby violinst » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:55 pm

I feel that it's my duty to inform the class.

Just saying.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests