Advice for someone with NO past published exams?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
smiley

Advice for someone with NO past published exams?

Postby smiley » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:11 pm

Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice. Last semester, I followed much of the advice laid out on these boards. I read all the cases, read the hornbooks and the E&Es, made compact outlines as the semester progressed, and importantly (at least in my mind) I practiced exams regularly. I was satisfied with my exam performance and finished with a solid GPA.

However, this semester is throwing me a bit of a curve ball. None of my professors have past published exams. One is teaching for the first time, one is teaching this subject for the first time (although he has published past exams for the subject he usually teaches), and two don't publish exams at all. Of course, I can ask the professors what their exams will be like in terms of format, but what about the practice? Would you practice other professors' exams? Focus on the E&Es? Study the material harder and hope that makes up for the difference?

I'm concerned because I don't know what portion of my relative exam success can be attributed to each study technique, how much of it was luck, and how important the practice was. Any advice you have to offer would be great :)
Last edited by smiley on Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

missinglink

Re: Advice for someone with NO past published exams?

Postby missinglink » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:27 pm

Well, everyone else in your class will be struggling with the same problem, so in terms of relative performance you shouldn't be too handicapped.

I would focus on practicing the concepts as discretely as possible. That is, work through general published practice problems in the E&Es and maybe Siegals or something like that. Try to match the issues your professor has covered with specific problem areas. My property class doesn't have a whole lot in the old exam area, but working on problems related to future interests, or finders of lost property, as discrete "problem areas" has helped so far (in the "practice question" supplements). Typically, it seems like most of the question supplements break up the problems in a similar logical fashion. You might also check out the CALI sections related to your course.

Also make a habit of going to the professor's office hours as the semester progresses and see what they want you to focus on. When it gets closer to finals you can sharpen your questions to focus on the exam itself, as they will be in process of writing it. I've found professors, while speaking generally about the exam, will drop hints here or there related to the exam. Not enough people take advantage of that resource.

Other than that, just pay attention and do what you've been doing.

Nicholas Nickleby

Postby Nicholas Nickleby » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:54 pm

If your professor does hypos in class figure out how he goes through each problem. Then, write your own questions based on these style of questions for other major subjects/doctrines of the class. Answer these questions then go ask your professor if your analysis is "correct" (according to your professor).

lawloser22

Postby lawloser22 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:45 am

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:01 pm

(1) If the course is a regular class like Civ Pro or Contracts, use the E&E. Write out paragraph length answers to the various questions AS IF it were a practice exam, then compare your answer to the Explanation. Compare with class notes and be sure to note any differences between Glannon's focus and your Prof.

(2) Pay particular attention in class. There should be several hints throughout the semester of what your Prof. wants. Obviously the syllabus is your first big clue. But also listen for any clues as to the topics that "set the curve."

(3) You might have a sample midterm or practice test given to you later in the semester.

(4) Sometimes the casebooks will feature Problem questions or something like that. If your professor focuses on these in class, you should try typing them up just like (1). You might even get some feedback if you email your answer to the professor and ask.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:56 pm

find another professor of the same class and take his or her past exams

you can ask who's will be more similar to who's but I doubt those responses will be useful... just go with your gut and take the ones that seem to be relevant

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:35 pm

I don't understand why you seem so shocked here op. I've now been to two different schools and I'd say that at least half of my prof's didn't have past exams to practice with.

smiley

Postby smiley » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:47 pm

I'm not shocked. I'm a 1L. Last semester there were published exams for all my professors. This semester there are not. Simply asking for advice, perhaps from people like you who have been in this situation before.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:10 pm

If you want to go the extra mile, figure out if your visiting prof had published exams at the school he's visitingfrom.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:14 pm

Ask 2ls who had him

smiley

Postby smiley » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:03 am

Thanks for the good advice everyone, I'll give it a shot :)

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”