In need of a straight shooter

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
Marionberry
Posts: 1302
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Re: In need of a straight shooter

Postby Marionberry » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:58 pm

kalvano wrote:To be fair, this site gets trolled hard.


This is true, but even in without people trolling, almost every thread eventually turns into a mean spirited argument for no good reason.

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: In need of a straight shooter

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:59 pm

kublaikahn wrote:
jcole87 wrote:So, I am going back to school. My major was the only question, but I came to a conclusion! :D

I am going to study law. My issue? I have a background. Plain and simple. From the point of view of a retail employer, I am sent from satan himself to raise hell on Earth with crimes against humanity. To anyone who looks into what happened, I was a dumb college kid who "was what he ate" and was charged with accessory after the fact.

This was an eye opener for me, and after serving all the GLORIOUS years on probation and house arrest, I came to the conclusion I want to practice law to help people in similar situations. I have learned a lot, like "guilty until proven innocent" should be the real motto and they way inmates are treated, well, is just disgusting. I am intelligent, active in speech and debate, and know I can really do some good for a lot of people if given the opportunity to practice law.

I hear all the time... "you can do whatever you set your mind to"... well, not if what I want to do requires me being licensed. I was given youthful offender and adjudication was withheld. Do I have a chance? I know earning the grades and test scores is a fact, but when I do, will I have a chance?


I think if you finish high school and go to college, keeping your nose clean the whole time (analogy, I don't mean polishing your nose or anything), with the years of living right under your belt you can get into a law school. Maybe not University of Tulsa or anything but certainly Ave Marie or one of the online schools.

:|

Hey-O
Posts: 719
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: In need of a straight shooter

Postby Hey-O » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:00 pm

Marionberry wrote:
kalvano wrote:To be fair, this site gets trolled hard.


This is true, but even in without people trolling, almost every thread eventually turns into a mean spirited argument for no good reason.


True. And people have no compunction in going after your character or intelligence, just because you might be ignorant about law school.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: In need of a straight shooter

Postby kalvano » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:01 pm

Marionberry wrote:
kalvano wrote:To be fair, this site gets trolled hard.


This is true, but even in without people trolling, almost every thread eventually turns into a mean spirited argument for no good reason.



I've noticed that. It used to be only the obvious troll threads, but it seems a little worse lately.

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: In need of a straight shooter

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:02 pm

Hey-O wrote:
ptblazer wrote:
BeenDidThat wrote:
amorfati wrote:I'm seriously curious about this "guilty until proven innocent" philosophy - it just doesn't sound congruent with the story.

...maybe OP is saying that's the way the system really operates, not that he agrees with it? that would make more sense, I guess.


I think it was pretty clear from the context that that is what he was saying.


I agree, it was pretty obvious to me too. Also, he has a point about this forum. Trolling or not, the level of cynicism here is disguisting. If you think someone is trolling, ignore the thread. Putting someone down or simply trying to get your name on every thread doesn't do any good to anyone.


Seriously, especially to new comers it can be awful. My very first post I was called a cunt because I was stressed about my LSAT score.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=85751&p=2021778#p2021778

:|

User avatar
ScrabbleChamp
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Re: In need of a straight shooter

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:02 pm

jcole87 wrote:So, I am going back to school. My major was the only question, but I came to a conclusion! :D

I am going to study law. My issue? I have a background. Plain and simple. From the point of view of a retail employer, I am sent from satan himself to raise hell on Earth with crimes against humanity. To anyone who looks into what happened, I was a dumb college kid who "was what he ate" and was charged with accessory after the fact.

This was an eye opener for me, and after serving all the GLORIOUS years on probation and house arrest, I came to the conclusion I want to practice law to help people in similar situations. I have learned a lot, like "guilty until proven innocent" should be the real motto and they way inmates are treated, well, is just disgusting. I am intelligent, active in speech and debate, and know I can really do some good for a lot of people if given the opportunity to practice law.

I hear all the time... "you can do whatever you set your mind to"... well, not if what I want to do requires me being licensed. I was given youthful offender and adjudication was withheld. Do I have a chance? I know earning the grades and test scores is a fact, but when I do, will I have a chance?


jcole87 wrote:The sad thing is, I am a pharmacy consultant now and I deal with a lot of medical forums.


Maybe I'm just obtuse, but I'm really having a hard time reconciling these two statements... Why are you concerned with what retail employers think if you are a pharmacy consultant? And how did you find a way to get hired as a pharmacy consultant if you can't get a job at Wal-Mart?

User avatar
Marionberry
Posts: 1302
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Re: In need of a straight shooter

Postby Marionberry » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:07 pm

kalvano wrote:
Marionberry wrote:
kalvano wrote:To be fair, this site gets trolled hard.


This is true, but even in without people trolling, almost every thread eventually turns into a mean spirited argument for no good reason.



I've noticed that. It used to be only the obvious troll threads, but it seems a little worse lately.


Well, the old-timers can be pretty harsh, but most of them do it in a way that is at least clever, and usually not too aggressive. It can still be kind of irritating, but they usually show some restraint. A lot of newer posters try to emulate what appears to them to be the accepted ideal behavior, but aren't very good at it and just come off as needlessly mean and rude. Or maybe I'm completely wrong, but that is kind of what I've noticed.

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: In need of a straight shooter

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:12 pm

Marionberry wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Marionberry wrote:
kalvano wrote:To be fair, this site gets trolled hard.


This is true, but even in without people trolling, almost every thread eventually turns into a mean spirited argument for no good reason.



I've noticed that. It used to be only the obvious troll threads, but it seems a little worse lately.


Well, the old-timers can be pretty harsh, but most of them do it in a way that is at least clever, and usually not too aggressive. It can still be kind of irritating, but they usually show some restraint. A lot of newer posters try to emulate what appears to them to be the accepted ideal behavior, but aren't very good at it and just come off as needlessly mean and rude. Or maybe I'm completely wrong, but that is kind of what I've noticed.

And then there are people like me who never go away, but never quite 'got' sarcasm.

Thank god for gifs to compensate for us.

Image

Hey-O
Posts: 719
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: In need of a straight shooter

Postby Hey-O » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:14 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
Hey-O wrote:
I agree, it was pretty obvious to me too. Also, he has a point about this forum. Trolling or not, the level of cynicism here is disguisting. If you think someone is trolling, ignore the thread. Putting someone down or simply trying to get your name on every thread doesn't do any good to anyone.


Seriously, especially to new comers it can be awful. My very first post I was called a cunt because I was stressed about my LSAT score.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=85751&p=2021778#p2021778

:|[/quote]

Oh. Maybe it was my second post? I'll see if I can find it. I felt pretty shamed after the cunt comment and I might have gotten a different user name. It was a long time ago so I don't remember. No, I just looked at my sign on date and that looks right. Sept 2009. I was stressing about the 09 Sept LSAT when I joined. Hmmm... Well, I know it happened. Maybe it was deleted by the mods?

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: In need of a straight shooter

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:17 pm

Hey-O wrote:


Oh. Maybe it was my second post? I'll see if I can find it. I felt pretty shamed after the cunt comment and I might have gotten a different user name. It was a long time ago so I don't remember. No, I just looked at my sign on date and that looks right. Sept 2009. I was stressing about the 09 Sept LSAT when I joined. Hmmm... Well, I know it happened. Maybe it was deleted by the mods?

Ha, I don't think you're a liar or anything. I was curious to see it, but 3.3 seconds of digging did not bring the desire result.

Hey-O
Posts: 719
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: In need of a straight shooter

Postby Hey-O » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:17 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
Hey-O wrote:


Oh. Maybe it was my second post? I'll see if I can find it. I felt pretty shamed after the cunt comment and I might have gotten a different user name. It was a long time ago so I don't remember. No, I just looked at my sign on date and that looks right. Sept 2009. I was stressing about the 09 Sept LSAT when I joined. Hmmm... Well, I know it happened. Maybe it was deleted by the mods?

Ha, I don't think you're a liar or anything. I was curious to see it, but 3.3 seconds of digging did not bring the desire result.


I spent more than 3.3 seconds and couldn't find it. Maybe it was deleted. That's too bad. It was pretty hilarious.

ptblazer
Posts: 376
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:27 pm

Re: In need of a straight shooter

Postby ptblazer » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:30 pm

Edit (for clearity)

geoduck-
He answered scrabbles' request for more clearity without any hostility. Then responded to scrabbles' "Was the ankle bracelet itchy?" in a seperate, more hostile (I haven't visited the link either) post. Responses that were cynical were meet with hostility, he wasn't hostile to everyone or everything.

As for the analogy, I'm assuming your talking about the bit regarding retail employers. To be honest I don't know why that was even brought up. I think he was just talking about how employers in general (which he later stated) viewed his record. He probably used that analogy, because he had an experience with a retail employer giving him the quick no, upon seeing his record. Also, he didn't need to explain what happend. He has already posted his offenses, and they have nothing to do with retail. Furthermore, who cares about the analogy, knowing what he meant doesn't answer or help answer his question.

I'm seriously at a loss (I'm not trying to be rude) at how anyone can read that with the intent of providing genuine help and post many of the things that were posted, that is my only point. I'm not trying to defend the OP, just pointing out that people should either NOT post if they can't add substantive content or DO post if they can (at least in threads asking for help). Most of the posts on TLS that aren't helpful are either meant to be humerous (which in itself is fine, but does little to advance the topic) and/or "throw mud" (which does absolutely nothing towards advancing the topic).

If anything I said doesn't sit well with you I'd be happy to discuss it more, but please PM me. I'm really not interested in continuing this on the thread.
Last edited by ptblazer on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
girlonfire
Posts: 470
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: In need of a straight shooter

Postby girlonfire » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:33 pm

fatduck wrote:
jcole87 wrote:So, I am going back to school. My major was the only question, but I came to a conclusion! :D

I am going to study law. My issue? I have a background. Plain and simple. From the point of view of a retail employer, I am sent from satan himself to raise hell on Earth with crimes against humanity. To anyone who looks into what happened, I was a dumb college kid who "was what he ate" and was charged with accessory after the fact.


What I got from your story is that you created a diversion by devouring all the produce in a supermarket, and in doing so distracted the cashiers while your accomplices robbed the registers.

I think you should write your Yale 250 about this.


I know I'm late to the party, but I'm still laughing my ass off about this.^^^

User avatar
geoduck
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: In need of a straight shooter

Postby geoduck » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:39 pm

lol There's nothing more to discuss. My recommendation to OP to get a thicker skin stands and is in no way "blaming the victim". One guy saying "troll" and a couple vaguely sarcastic responses do not a victim make, especially after he got hostile (generally via double posts). Beyond that we'll just have to agree to disagree because this is just too trivial to take to the grand jury.

User avatar
classix
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:47 pm

Re: In need of a straight shooter

Postby classix » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:03 pm

I am interested in this

kublaikahn
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:47 am

Re: In need of a straight shooter

Postby kublaikahn » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:10 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
jcole87 wrote:So, I am going back to school. My major was the only question, but I came to a conclusion! :D

I am going to study law. My issue? I have a background. Plain and simple. From the point of view of a retail employer, I am sent from satan himself to raise hell on Earth with crimes against humanity. To anyone who looks into what happened, I was a dumb college kid who "was what he ate" and was charged with accessory after the fact.

This was an eye opener for me, and after serving all the GLORIOUS years on probation and house arrest, I came to the conclusion I want to practice law to help people in similar situations. I have learned a lot, like "guilty until proven innocent" should be the real motto and they way inmates are treated, well, is just disgusting. I am intelligent, active in speech and debate, and know I can really do some good for a lot of people if given the opportunity to practice law.

I hear all the time... "you can do whatever you set your mind to"... well, not if what I want to do requires me being licensed. I was given youthful offender and adjudication was withheld. Do I have a chance? I know earning the grades and test scores is a fact, but when I do, will I have a chance?


jcole87 wrote:The sad thing is, I am a pharmacy consultant now and I deal with a lot of medical forums.


Maybe I'm just obtuse, but I'm really having a hard time reconciling these two statements... Why are you concerned with what retail employers think if you are a pharmacy consultant? And how did you find a way to get hired as a pharmacy consultant if you can't get a job at Wal-Mart?


As in "Charlie Sheen keeps his pharmacy consultant on speed dial."

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: In need of a straight shooter

Postby A'nold » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:00 pm

As an "old timer" (lol, I liked that) I have to say that it is much more annoying to see all of these doe-eyed, naive pre-lawlz types on here always buying troll shticks hook, line, and sinker.


It is not mean to spot obvious trolls and out them. What is annoying is being called out for spotting the troll and then nobody admitting they were stupid and embarrassed at not seeing it when an even somewhat intelligent 10-year old would have picked up on it....tis all. :)

Hey-O
Posts: 719
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: In need of a straight shooter

Postby Hey-O » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:03 pm

A'nold wrote:As an "old timer" (lol, I liked that) I have to say that it is much more annoying to see all of these doe-eyed, naive pre-lawlz types on here always buying troll shticks hook, line, and sinker.


It is not mean to spot obvious trolls and out them. What is annoying is being called out for spotting the troll and then nobody admitting they were stupid and embarrassed at not seeing it when an even somewhat intelligent 10-year old would have picked up on it....tis all. :)


Yeah this thread is pretty funny b/c this fellow is an obvious troll. I love how people shout TROLL at people who they just disagree with but then spend three pages of comments arguing about whether or TLS was too mean to this obvious troll.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: In need of a straight shooter

Postby A'nold » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:11 pm

Hey-O wrote:
A'nold wrote:As an "old timer" (lol, I liked that) I have to say that it is much more annoying to see all of these doe-eyed, naive pre-lawlz types on here always buying troll shticks hook, line, and sinker.


It is not mean to spot obvious trolls and out them. What is annoying is being called out for spotting the troll and then nobody admitting they were stupid and embarrassed at not seeing it when an even somewhat intelligent 10-year old would have picked up on it....tis all. :)


Yeah this thread is pretty funny b/c this fellow is an obvious troll. I love how people shout TROLL at people who they just disagree with but then spend three pages of comments arguing about whether or TLS was too mean to this obvious troll.


Haha. I have like 3 people on this site that basically cussed me out via pm and hate me b/c I've called out obvious trolls in the past. This one poster, bwv or something like that, thinks all I ever do is call people trolls for no reason, yet I would say that 95% of the time I am not only probably right, but actually PROVEN right by the fact that a mod has to call an end to it once it becomes so obvious it is ridiculous.

I often wonder how so many of my fellow law students can appear smarter than me but then I get top 5% kind of grades. I think it has to do with my personality and the way I can "issue spot" (spot obvious trolls) and see where the professor is going before it becomes obvious (before 99% of the population could realize that their legs are being pulled). Cynicism works well in the law school context and I think "street smarts" play a pretty big role on exams. :wink:

Also: IBensuinga'noldtrashing

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: In need of a straight shooter

Postby kalvano » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:12 pm

How could you possibly not spot this as a troll from the first post.

It makes me miss DukeLawGuy.

Hey-O
Posts: 719
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: In need of a straight shooter

Postby Hey-O » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:14 pm

kalvano wrote:How could you possibly not spot this as a troll from the first post.

It makes me miss DukeLawGuy.


Who's DukeLawGUY?

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: In need of a straight shooter

Postby fatduck » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:15 pm

A'nold wrote:
Hey-O wrote:
A'nold wrote:As an "old timer" (lol, I liked that) I have to say that it is much more annoying to see all of these doe-eyed, naive pre-lawlz types on here always buying troll shticks hook, line, and sinker.


It is not mean to spot obvious trolls and out them. What is annoying is being called out for spotting the troll and then nobody admitting they were stupid and embarrassed at not seeing it when an even somewhat intelligent 10-year old would have picked up on it....tis all. :)


Yeah this thread is pretty funny b/c this fellow is an obvious troll. I love how people shout TROLL at people who they just disagree with but then spend three pages of comments arguing about whether or TLS was too mean to this obvious troll.


Haha. I have like 3 people on this site that basically cussed me out via pm and hate me b/c I've called out obvious trolls in the past. This one poster, bwv or something like that, thinks all I ever do is call people trolls for no reason, yet I would say that 95% of the time I am not only probably right, but actually PROVEN right by the fact that a mod has to call an end to it once it becomes so obvious it is ridiculous.

I often wonder how so many of my fellow law students can appear smarter than me but then I get top 5% kind of grades. I think it has to do with my personality and the way I can "issue spot" (spot obvious trolls) and see where the professor is going before it becomes obvious (before 99% of the population could realize that their legs are being pulled). Cynicism works well in the law school context and I think "street smarts" play a pretty big role on exams. :wink:

Also: IBensuinga'noldtrashing


i spotted this troll and responded humorously. guess this means i'm destined for top 1%.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: In need of a straight shooter

Postby kalvano » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:16 pm

Hey-O wrote:
kalvano wrote:How could you possibly not spot this as a troll from the first post.

It makes me miss DukeLawGuy.


Who's DukeLawGUY?



Old troll poster.

User avatar
Marionberry
Posts: 1302
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Re: In need of a straight shooter

Postby Marionberry » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:19 pm

Let me just reiterate, it's not the cynicism that bothers me, it's the wanton douchebaggery. Lots of posters make dumb threads and ask naive questions that aren't trolling, and people feel the need to gang-fuck them into embarassment, so that everyone can know how smart they are. It gets old.

/rant

edit: not saying that that was the case with this guy, although I'm not sure that he was trolling, either. He probably was, but a troll probably would have stuck around and tried to stir the pot a little bit longer. Either way, the OP in this thread wasn't just dumb or naive, it also didn't make any sense and lended itself to genuinely funny responses.
Last edited by Marionberry on Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: In need of a straight shooter

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:21 pm

kalvano wrote:
Hey-O wrote:
kalvano wrote:How could you possibly not spot this as a troll from the first post.

It makes me miss DukeLawGuy.


Who's DukeLawGUY?



Old troll poster.

I loved dukelawguy. TLS needs a poster like him, or his more recent reincarnation MW, it keeps a good equilibrium on the site.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: KFCfamousbowlz, NUDad, wg6524 and 4 guests