In need of a straight shooter Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
JazzOne

Gold

Re: In need of a straight shooter

Post by JazzOne » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:19 pm

jcole87 wrote:The sad thing is, I am a pharmacy consultant now and I deal with a lot of medical forums. This is by far the most unprofessional community I have EVER come across. I sure hope you don't practice law ScrabbleCHamp, and if you do, you should be shut down.

What would be the point of law school and nobody ignorant went there?

Yea, I am moving on. Top-law-schools- worst source of information is Real Time and The Daily Show were created.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:20 pm

Man, if I had a nickel for every craigslist ad I posted with the same title as this thread....

kublaikahn

Silver

Post by kublaikahn » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:23 pm

Normally I'm not one to nitpick, and I agree that many TLSers do go a bit over the top...
Jcole, please stick around. We want to help you (and this thread has a lot of potential).
Yeah, TLSers go way out of bounds. I've found that many TLSers don't like being called a punk. I've also found it doesn't indicate a matured individual capable of much contrition.

I personally don't care for carjackers. But that's just me. You know I have a wife, mother, sisters, etc. And I get a bit defensive about personal safety.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:34 pm

kublaikahn wrote:
Normally I'm not one to nitpick, and I agree that many TLSers do go a bit over the top...
Jcole, please stick around. We want to help you (and this thread has a lot of potential).
Yeah, TLSers go way out of bounds. I've found that many TLSers don't like being called a punk. I've also found it doesn't indicate a matured individual capable of much contrition.

I personally don't care for carjackers. But that's just me. You know I have a wife, mother, sisters, etc. And I get a bit defensive about personal safety.
Clearly he's not a carjacker. He just helps them after they jack cars.

amorfati

Bronze

Post by amorfati » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:35 pm

I'm seriously curious about this "guilty until proven innocent" philosophy - it just doesn't sound congruent with the story.

...maybe OP is saying that's the way the system really operates, not that he agrees with it? that would make more sense, I guess.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:42 pm

amorfati wrote:I'm seriously curious about this "guilty until proven innocent" philosophy - it just doesn't sound congruent with the story.

...maybe OP is saying that's the way the system really operates, not that he agrees with it? that would make more sense, I guess.
I think it was pretty clear from the context that that is what he was saying.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:45 pm

amorfati wrote:I'm seriously curious about this "guilty until proven innocent" philosophy - it just doesn't sound congruent with the story.

I know that his posts aren't extremely transparent, but your second sentence is really the only possible way it can be taken seeing as he was originally charged as a primary and pleaded down to assist after the fact.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:50 pm

jcole87 wrote: Yea, I am moving on. Top-law-schools- worst source of information is Real Time and The Daily Show were created.
Also, what the hell are you trying to say? I see subject, present tense verb, d.o., d.o, past progressive verb. The hell language is that?

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:51 pm

BeenDidThat wrote:

I agree, it was pretty obvious to me too. Also, he has a point about this forum. Trolling or not, the level of cynicism here is disguisting. If you think someone is trolling, ignore the thread. Putting someone down or simply trying to get your name on every thread doesn't do any good to anyone.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hey-O

Silver

Post by Hey-O » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:52 pm

ptblazer wrote:
BeenDidThat wrote:

I agree, it was pretty obvious to me too. Also, he has a point about this forum. Trolling or not, the level of cynicism here is disguisting. If you think someone is trolling, ignore the thread. Putting someone down or simply trying to get your name on every thread doesn't do any good to anyone.
Seriously, especially to new comers it can be awful. My very first post I was called a cunt because I was stressed about my LSAT score.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:54 pm

ptblazer wrote:
BeenDidThat wrote:

On the other hand, OP should grow a thicker skin if he wants to survive in this world, especially if that survival is to include internet use. I was on more cynical forums in '96. This isn't a new phenomena.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:55 pm

Hey-O wrote:
ptblazer wrote:
BeenDidThat wrote:

Seriously, especially to new comers it can be awful. My very first post I was called a cunt because I was stressed about my LSAT score.
Were you being one?

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:01 pm

geoduck wrote:
ptblazer wrote:
BeenDidThat wrote:

On the other hand, OP should grow a thicker skin if he wants to survive in this world, especially if that survival is to include internet use. I was on more cynical forums in '96. This isn't a new phenomena.

NO! Blaming the victim is adolescent, this is a forum of college graduates (or soon to be).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:03 pm

If this isn't a troll you might want to consult an attorney or state bar character and fitness expert. As things stand I think you will probably be in trouble because the crime involved sounds very serious, and yet it sounds to me like you have a flippant attitude about the whole thing.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:07 pm

ptblazer wrote:
NO! Blaming the victim is adolescent, this is a forum of college graduates (or soon to be).
Where is the victim? He posted a fairly opaque statement about some crime and his lack of retail eligibility and then attacked the people who asked him to clarify his statement so we could even give him advice. From his initial post he could've been freaking out about having shoplifted a twinkie or from committing rape, murder and cannibalism. It was after he attacked the questions that someone suggested a troll label. Considering that calling almost anything a troll has been an internet meme since the mid 90s, this on its own would hardly be notable. When it was claimed after the OP engaged in the troll-like behavior of a vague post with ridiculous follow ups, it was more or less justified.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:08 pm

geoduck wrote:
ptblazer wrote:
Where is the victim? He posted a fairly opaque statement about some crime and his lack of retail eligibility and then attacked the people who asked him to clarify his statement so we could even give him advice. From his initial post he could've been freaking out about having shoplifted a twinkie or from committing rape, murder and cannibalism. It was after he attacked the questions that someone suggested a troll label. Considering that calling almost anything a troll has been an internet meme since the mid 90s, this on its own would hardly be notable. When it was claimed after the OP engaged in the troll-like behavior of a vague post with ridiculous follow ups, it was more or less justified.
pretty sure the victim is in the trunk of her car

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:13 pm

fatduck wrote: pretty sure the victim is in the trunk of her car
And apparently missing a loin and a bit of backfat.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:25 pm

geoduck wrote:
ptblazer wrote:
I completely agree that it was opaque and needed to clearified. But you're distorting what happend. First response asked him to write it in English, not, can you clearify?, or what does THIS mean?. Second post agreed and the third one called him a stupid troll. Then the next two made a joke about his situation. So he got defensive. Finally about half way down the page someone asked him to "explain what you did." And he promptly answered what his offenses were.

superhands

New

Post by superhands » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:31 pm

Hey-O wrote:
ptblazer wrote:
BeenDidThat wrote:

That is not a very nice thing to say, however, it is one of the funniest things that I have read on this forum.

Hey-O

Silver

Post by Hey-O » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:34 pm

superhands wrote:
Hey-O wrote:
I agree, it was pretty obvious to me too. Also, he has a point about this forum. Trolling or not, the level of cynicism here is disguisting. If you think someone is trolling, ignore the thread. Putting someone down or simply trying to get your name on every thread doesn't do any good to anyone.[/quote]

Seriously, especially to new comers it can be awful. My very first post I was called a cunt because I was stressed about my LSAT score.[/quote]

That is not a very nice thing to say, however, it is one of the funniest things that I have read on this forum.[/quote]

In retrospect it was really funny. It was a throwaway account. Two posts, called me a cunt and that's about it. Driveby cunting.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:36 pm

Hey-O wrote: Driveby cunting.
:D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:38 pm

ptblazer wrote:
I completely agree that it was opaque and needed to clearified. But you're distorting what happend. First response asked him to write it in English, not, can you clearify?, or what does THIS mean?. Second post agreed and the third one called him a stupid troll. Then the next two made a joke about his situation. So he got defensive. Finally about half way down the page someone asked him to "explain what you did." And he promptly answered what his offenses were.
I'd suggest you read it again. The total hostility was one guy saying "Stupid troll. Try harder." to which he gave an extremely douchy response that still clarified nothing. Than he double posted to say:
Now I get it.

These forums are full of pre-law punks who have no outlet for all their mommy hatred.

Obviously asked this question on the wrong forums. This community is worse than lady Gaga's followers, ALL of them."
And proceeded to post again attacking fatduck for taking a vaguely humorous reading of his analogy. That analogy still makes no sense as he never explained what actually happened. As it stands, his analogy makes no sense. He also answered Scrabble's same serious post twice, the second time with a rude link (I didn't click it cause I'm at work... just looked at the url). Then, he throws a tantrum because a couple people throw out lame humourous retorts to his rather vicious attacks. And then he peaces out.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:43 pm

I agree that OP was pretty weird, and that his reaction to peoples' lighthearted jabs and troll accusations was extreme. However, the widespread condescencion and snide remarks on this site are pretty tiresome. People defend it in a number of ways, but people get off on being mean. I've been guilty of it too, and I understand why people do it, but the fact that is isn't just tolerated on this site but celebrated is what's really obnoxious.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:53 pm

To be fair, this site gets trolled hard.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:57 pm

He asked for a straight shooter; he should've expected the guns.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”