In need of a straight shooter Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jcole87

New

In need of a straight shooter

Post by jcole87 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:20 pm

So, I am going back to school. My major was the only question, but I came to a conclusion! :D

I am going to study law. My issue? I have a background. Plain and simple. From the point of view of a retail employer, I am sent from satan himself to raise hell on Earth with crimes against humanity. To anyone who looks into what happened, I was a dumb college kid who "was what he ate" and was charged with accessory after the fact.

This was an eye opener for me, and after serving all the GLORIOUS years on probation and house arrest, I came to the conclusion I want to practice law to help people in similar situations. I have learned a lot, like "guilty until proven innocent" should be the real motto and they way inmates are treated, well, is just disgusting. I am intelligent, active in speech and debate, and know I can really do some good for a lot of people if given the opportunity to practice law.

I hear all the time... "you can do whatever you set your mind to"... well, not if what I want to do requires me being licensed. I was given youthful offender and adjudication was withheld. Do I have a chance? I know earning the grades and test scores is a fact, but when I do, will I have a chance?

delusional

Silver

Re: In need of a straight shooter

Post by delusional » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:21 pm

I can't imagine that I have any expertise in your question, but pure interest in your situation makes me want to read your story in English.

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:28 pm

delusional wrote:I can't imagine that I have any expertise in your question, but pure interest in your situation makes me want to read your story in English.
+1

jcole87

New

Post by jcole87 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:29 pm

I don't understand that, lol. I only know English (and what SPN taught me in 14 weeks).

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:33 pm

jcole87 wrote:So, I am going back to school. My major was the only question, but I came to a conclusion! :D

I am going to study law. My issue? I have a background. Plain and simple. From the point of view of a retail employer, I am sent from satan himself to raise hell on Earth with crimes against humanity. To anyone who looks into what happened, I was a dumb college kid who "was what he ate" and was charged with accessory after the fact.

This was an eye opener for me, and after serving all the GLORIOUS years on probation and house arrest, I came to the conclusion I want to practice law to help people in similar situations. I have learned a lot, like "guilty until proven innocent" should be the real motto and they way inmates are treated, well, is just disgusting. I am intelligent, active in speech and debate, and know I can really do some good for a lot of people if given the opportunity to practice law.

I hear all the time... "you can do whatever you set your mind to"... well, not if what I want to do requires me being licensed. I was given youthful offender and adjudication was withheld. Do I have a chance? I know earning the grades and test scores is a fact, but when I do, will I have a chance?
lol @ youthful offender

Stupid troll. Try harder.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:33 pm

jcole87 wrote:So, I am going back to school. My major was the only question, but I came to a conclusion! :D

What I got from your story is that you created a diversion by devouring all the produce in a supermarket, and in doing so distracted the cashiers while your accomplices robbed the registers.

I think you should write your Yale 250 about this.

francisConn

Bronze

Post by francisConn » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:35 pm

fatduck wrote:

What I got from your story is that you created a diversion by devouring all the produce in a supermarket, and in doing so distracted the cashiers while your accomplices robbed the registers.

Lol.

jcole87

New

Post by jcole87 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:38 pm

JazzOne wrote:

lol @ youthful offender

Stupid troll. Try harder.
Hmmmm. This is really the "welcome" I get? I don't think I have been called a troll since I was a gamer playing in free leagues... I am really not trolling. Accessory after the fact, second degree felony. Youthful offender which capped everything at 6 years. 2 years house arrest and 4 years probation. So............ how did I troll. If you are not capable of answering my question, then you are clearly in the wrong place. Move on to a different section and be an e-bully there.

I want some advice from anyone who knows about licensing and decisions made about admissions to law school. Will this incident ruin my shot?

jcole87

New

Post by jcole87 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:39 pm

Now I get it.

These forums are full of pre-law punks who have no outlet for all their mommy hatred.

Obviously asked this question on the wrong forums. This community is worse than lady Gaga's followers, ALL of them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:41 pm

jcole87 wrote:Now I get it.

These forums are full of pre-law punks who have no outlet for all their mommy hatred.

Obviously asked this question on the wrong forums. This community is worse than lady Gaga's followers, ALL of them.
you definitely asked in the wrong forum. try "law school admissions forum"

also try making sense

jcole87

New

Post by jcole87 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:42 pm

fatduck wrote:

a·nal·o·gy   
[uh-nal-uh-jee] Show IPA
–noun, plural -gies.
a similarity between like features of two things, on which a comparison may be based: the analogy between the heart and a pump.
similarity or comparability: I see no analogy between your problem and mine.

That's the analogy I used for when I get background checked by retail employers, they swear I am a terrible kid because of what ADT can pull up on me. Anyways, you kids must be bored at work, so I am done fueling this fire. On to a new forums.

-MOD
I would work on the welcome package that new posters get from the community.

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:43 pm

You still haven't explained what you did. In CLEAR ENGLISH, explain what you did. Accessory to what? A burglary, murder, rape? What did you eat? Why did you eat it? Was the ankle bracelet itchy?

jcole87

New

Post by jcole87 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:46 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:

You still haven't explained what you did. In CLEAR ENGLISH, explain what you did. Accessory to what? A burglary, murder, rape? What did you eat? Why did you eat it? Was the ankle bracelet itchy?
Principal to armed carjacking and principal to armed kidnapping were my arresting charges. 45 g's later, accessory after the fact, no contest and a shit tun of probation. And no, level one community control, no electronic monitoring.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:49 pm

jcole87 wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:

Principal to armed carjacking and principal to armed kidnapping were my arresting charges. 45 g's later, accessory after the fact, no contest and a shit tun of probation. And no, level one community control, no electronic monitoring.
So, on most, if not all, law apps, you'd have to put that you were charged with armed carjacking and armed kidnapping... that's gonna be hard for AdComms to look over, I'd guess. Also, what do carjacking and kidnapping have to do with retail jobs? You specifically mentioned retail employers thinking you are sent from satan... Why just retail employers? I'm quite sure ANY employer would have a negative view of your past actions, not just a retail employer.

jcole87

New

Post by jcole87 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:49 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote: What did you eat? Why did you eat it? Was the ankle bracelet itchy?
Here, check this link out, just for you.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... m=1&itbs=1

jcole87

New

Post by jcole87 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:51 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
jcole87 wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:

So, on most, if not all, law apps, you'd have to put that you were charged with armed carjacking and armed kidnapping... that's gonna be hard for AdComms to look over, I'd guess. Also, what do carjacking and kidnapping have to do with retail jobs? You specifically mentioned retail employers thinking you are sent from satan... Why just retail employers? I'm quite sure ANY employer would have a negative view of your past actions, not just a retail employer.
I meant employers in general who do a "yes or no" check. Like, they look at the charges and never call back no matter what. On the surface, the story sounds HORRIBLE. But if you read the transcripts from court, I am actually the good guy (of all the bad guys that is). I was really wrongfully charged originally and my rights were violated during 3 of my interviews. They manipulated me to say what they needed to charge me. I claim complete ignorance to the entire legal process.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:52 pm

You're ghey.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Hey-O

Silver

Post by Hey-O » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:54 pm

jcole87 wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:

How does this have anything to do with food? Are you claiming the twinkie defense?

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:59 pm

i asked a friend of mine about your situation

he is a real straight shooter

--ImageRemoved--

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:05 pm

I meant employers in general who do a "yes or no" check. Like, they look at the charges and never call back no matter what. On the surface, the story sounds HORRIBLE. But if you read the transcripts from court, I am actually the good guy (of all the bad guys that is). I was really wrongfully charged originally and my rights were violated during 3 of my interviews. They manipulated me to say what they needed to charge me. I claim complete ignorance to the entire legal process.
Law school probably isn't for you, then.

jcole87

New

Post by jcole87 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:08 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
Law school probably isn't for you, then.
fatduck wrote:i asked a friend of mine about your situation

he is a real straight shooter

--ImageRemoved--
The sad thing is, I am a pharmacy consultant now and I deal with a lot of medical forums. This is by far the most unprofessional community I have EVER come across. I sure hope you don't practice law ScrabbleCHamp, and if you do, you should be shut down.

What would be the point of law school and nobody ignorant went there?

Yea, I am moving on. Top-law-schools- worst source of information is Real Time and The Daily Show were created.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:09 pm

I'll indulge.

OP, do you have a college degree? What exactly is your educational background, if any? Maybe you should go to college for criminal justice and go from there. In any instance, I wouldn't apply to law schools by telling them you think the principle that underlies all of criminal law should be reversed to guilty until proven innocent.

More important, you're going to have one hell of a time with the Character & Fitness portion of the bar exam. If you seriously are applying to law schools, you need to check with your state's bar to figure out if you would ever pass the C&F with felony convictions. If I had to guess, I'd say you wouldn't. But I could be very wrong. It does vary by state.

p.s. Ignorance of the law isn't a defense. In case you're still wondering.

amorfati

Bronze

Post by amorfati » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:10 pm

Normally I'm not one to nitpick, and I agree that many TLSers do go a bit over the top, but I have to ask: when you say "'guilty until proven innocent' should be the real motto," what do you mean exactly? Maybe I'm not understanding correctly, but that philosophy probably won't get much love in law school without a clear, solid backup argument.

In any case, joking aside, I think most people here aren't trying to be mean - it's just that it's hard to understand the subtler implications when reading a life story in the form of a few paragraphs on a computer screen. The analogies you use probably make sense to someone more familiar with you/your personality/circumstances/etc, but to get some help here everyone needs a bit more information with your situation.

So to that end: how old were you then? how old are you now? what have you done to show you've changed? and can you take this story and weave it into a rock star personal statement? if so, that's one of the few beauties of the admissions process (as opposed to employment): you get the chance to explain yourself, and if you do it well, you might just be able to spin the story in your favor.

and also relevant: how did you do in undergrad (specifically GPA-wise)? and have you researched the LSAT / taken any practice tests? Your score (and of course your GPA) will be very important in determining where you can go to law school, and in turn, in determining if it's worth the investment.

kublaikahn

Silver

Post by kublaikahn » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:12 pm

I think if you finish high school and go to college, keeping your nose clean the whole time (analogy, I don't mean polishing your nose or anything), with the years of living right under your belt you can get into a law school. Maybe not University of Tulsa or anything but certainly Ave Marie or one of the online schools.

Your other option is to write Obama or Holder a letter and see if you can't get this ridiculous conviction pardoned.

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:16 pm

Jcole, please stick around. We want to help you (and this thread has a lot of potential).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”