Style Question

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ubermensch

Style Question

Postby ubermensch » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:59 am

Is it odd to only wear white shirts under suits? I don't think anything looks as crisp and professional as plain white and would prefer to wear them 5 days a week at my summer gig, but my roommate insists that I need a variety of colors.

FWIW, I will be rotating 4-5 suits which will be navy, navy-ps, charcoal, charcoal-ps, and perhaps another.

lolschool2011

Re: Style Question

Postby lolschool2011 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:02 pm

ubermensch wrote:Is it odd to only wear white shirts under suits? I don't think anything looks as crisp and professional as plain white and would prefer to wear them 5 days a week at my summer gig, but my roommate insists that I need a variety of colors.

FWIW, I will be rotating 4-5 suits which will be navy, navy-ps, charcoal, charcoal-ps, and perhaps another.

If you must go white every day, get a variety of patterns/textures at least.... lest you look like you wear the same shirt every day.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:06 pm

lolschool2011 wrote:
ubermensch wrote:Is it odd to only wear white shirts under suits? I don't think anything looks as crisp and professional as plain white and would prefer to wear them 5 days a week at my summer gig, but my roommate insists that I need a variety of colors.

If you must go white every day, get a variety of patterns/textures at least.... lest you look like you wear the same shirt every day.

It's not that odd, but this is good advice. Don't wear identical shirts every day, even if they're all the same color.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:34 pm

From what I heard white and light blue shirts are always considered work clothes. As long as you vary ties you should be fine. I have a bunch of red and dark green shirts I really like but I wouldn't wear them to work in the summer unless I saw others doing them same.

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:59 pm

Don't listen to your friend. He suffers from an unfortunate lack of classical style.

Colored dress shirts and the shitty ties that compliment them should be put down like a sickly hamster.

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:02 pm

Would you rather be this guy:

Or this guy:

savagedm

Postby savagedm » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:10 pm

While it does look good, you gotta understand at some point you WILL be taking your jacket off inside because it is either a) too warm, b) you're moving around too much, or c) you dont want to wrinkle the back by sitting in it all day.

That being said, ask yourself this: is it ok to wear a black t-shirt and only a black t-shirt all day? What would you think if you saw someone who wore the same exact t-shirt? What do you think others would think? Does this match how you want them to see you? How can you make what you want to wear match how you want them to see you? If you must wear a white t-shirt, make sure you vary the cut, patterns, cuff-link options (a great man once said "if at all possible, cuff-links are never optional"), etc.

Dr. Van Nostrand

Postby Dr. Van Nostrand » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:11 pm

White, Light Blue, and the occasional French Blue - slim fit from Brooks Brothers ... that settles that debate.

lolschool2011

Postby lolschool2011 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:13 pm

savagedm wrote:

While it does look good, you gotta understand at some point you WILL be taking your jacket off inside because it is either a) too warm, b) you're moving around too much, or c) you dont want to wrinkle the back by sitting in it all day.

That being said, ask yourself this: is it ok to wear a black t-shirt and only a black t-shirt all day? What would you think if you saw someone who wore the same exact t-shirt? What do you think others would think? Does this match how you want them to see you? How can you make what you want to wear match how you want them to see you? If you must wear a white t-shirt, make sure you vary the cut, patterns, cuff-link options (a great man once said "if at all possible, cuff-links are never optional"), etc.

Simon Cowell has this sort of approach to style and he is a grand douche. Do not dress like him. Mix it up.

Dr. Van Nostrand

Postby Dr. Van Nostrand » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:19 pm

lolschool2011 wrote:
savagedm wrote:

Simon Cowell has this sort of approach to style and he is a grand douche. Do not dress like him. Mix it up.

Listen, I am all for mixing it up - however in the professional setting this should be done more through the tie, not the shirt. If the OP wants to wear white everyday, I think that is perfectly acceptable in the law firm. You do not see many partners rocking teal green Express shirts. You want to add subtle stripes? Sure. But if different means exotic colors, absolutely not. Allow your tie to be a personal statement, not the entire shirt.

Further, cuff links get pretty dangerous. You aren't a partner yet, and in my opinion run the risk as coming off as arrogant. I would personally save the cuff links for when you are partner IMHO.

savagedm

Postby savagedm » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:19 pm

lolschool2011 wrote:
savagedm wrote:

Lol truth, I am all for the mix-up approach. I was actually thinking of greasers, but Simon is a much better example.

savagedm

Postby savagedm » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:20 pm

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
lolschool2011 wrote:
savagedm wrote:

Listen, I am all for mixing it up - however in the professional setting this should be done more through the tie, not the shirt. If the OP wants to wear white everyday, I think that is perfectly acceptable in the law firm. You do not see many partners rocking teal green Express shirts. You want to add subtle stripes? Sure. But if different means exotic colors, absolutely not. Allow your tie to be a personal statement, not the entire shirt.

Further, cuff links get pretty dangerous. You aren't a partner yet, and in my opinion run the risk as coming off as arrogant. I would personally save the cuff links for when you are partner IMHO.

Also, a tie should COMPLIMENT a suit, not be the focal point.

Dr. Van Nostrand

Postby Dr. Van Nostrand » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:22 pm

^^^
Agreed. But you can add more style and pattern through the tie more subtly if that is what you are gunning for.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Ty Webb wrote:Don't listen to your friend. He suffers from an unfortunate lack of classical style.

Colored dress shirts and the shitty ties that compliment them should be put down like a sickly hamster.

This guy knows what he is talking about.

Postby 20160810 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:36 pm

White and blue are OK. Rotate through those as you see fit. Others... not so much.

Dr. Van Nostrand

Postby Dr. Van Nostrand » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:40 pm

SBL wrote:White and blue are OK. Rotate through those as you see fit. Others... not so much.

Yup, agreed. Get ones that fit well too, it will vastly improve your look over wearing crazy colors as your roommate seems to suggest.

savagedm

Postby savagedm » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:43 pm

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
SBL wrote:White and blue are OK. Rotate through those as you see fit. Others... not so much.

Yup, agreed. Get ones that fit well too, it will vastly improve your look over wearing crazy colors as your roommate seems to suggest.

Depends on the situation, colored dress shirts are for going to clubs or if you're at work, your nice clothes are dirty, and you wont be dealing with people who give you money. Otherwise, send mixed signals: show serious style without being gaudy. I.E. a nice fitted shirt with a super quality tie that isnt 1023821093812039128 different colors.

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:45 pm

Ty Webb wrote:Would you rather be this guy:

Or this guy:

neither.... double-breasted with an obnoxiously folded pocket square? or a euro-looking man of the night?

furthermore the "douche" pic wouldn't be as bad if it weren't for the black tie and the unbuttoned collar. the redshirt by itself isn't terrible.... but for some reason any sort of BOLD, primary color dress shirt, including a heavy, dark blue color, comes off to me as working class or jersey shore. could be OK at night but not for work.

keep it classy with white, light blue, light pink, etc.

to answer the OP, there's nothing wrong with white every day. See, e.g., Don Draper. Get your secretary to buy you a whole stack and you can keep them in your office drawer for when you booze out, sleep with a random, and never make it home at night.

Dr. Van Nostrand

Postby Dr. Van Nostrand » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:48 pm

Yeah the double breasted does look ridiculous.

Postby 20160810 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:01 pm

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:Yeah the double breasted does look ridiculous.

Correct. Also that gold tie looks like it was made from the remains of a dentists' office sofa, and pocket squares are retarded.

The best ties are relatively subtle, probably regimental-striped, and some version of red, blue or yellow (which latter should only be worn over a blue dress shirt). When in doubt, Brooks Brothers. I've also found that Tommy Hilfiger, despite not being even close to one of my favorite designers, makes good silk ties.

And +1 to whomever says fit is the most important thing. If your dress shirts feel like you're wearing a big starched cotton bag, ur doin it rong. Similarly, do not by a suit off the rack. Get it tailored. Every single time.

BunkMoreland

Postby BunkMoreland » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:32 pm

SBL wrote:

Correct. Also that gold tie looks like it was made from the remains of a dentists' office sofa, and pocket squares are retarded.

The best ties are relatively subtle, probably regimental-striped, and some version of red, blue or yellow (which latter should only be worn over a blue dress shirt). When in doubt, Brooks Brothers. I've also found that Tommy Hilfiger, despite not being even close to one of my favorite designers, makes good silk ties.

And +1 to whomever says fit is the most important thing. If your dress shirts feel like you're wearing a big starched cotton bag, ur doin it rong. Similarly, do not by a suit off the rack. Get it tailored. Every single time.

-1000 at pocket squares being retarded. I've worn a white TV fold PS forever and only receive positive compliments on it

Vronsky

Postby Vronsky » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:53 pm

BunkMoreland wrote:
SBL wrote:

-1000 at pocket squares being retarded. I've worn a white TV fold PS forever and only receive positive compliments on it

Not all pocket squares are retarded, but notice that the picture shows not a pocket square but a 'pocket bouquet.' it's garish, consistent with the double-breasted jacket. but a true pocket square - that is not folded in such an obnoxious 4 point design - can look really nice. but not when pains are made to match the PS to the tie.... saw a dude at my school wearing a nice looking suit but had a TEAL tie and matching square.... yuck. white is on the only way to go.

again, when in doubt, do whatever don draper would do.

savagedm

Postby savagedm » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:06 pm

Vronsky wrote:
BunkMoreland wrote:
SBL wrote:

Not all pocket squares are retarded, but notice that the picture shows not a pocket square but a 'pocket bouquet.' it's garish, consistent with the double-breasted jacket. but a true pocket square - that is not folded in such an obnoxious 4 point design - can look really nice. but not when pains are made to match the PS to the tie.... saw a dude at my school wearing a nice looking suit but had a TEAL tie and matching square.... yuck. white is on the only way to go.

again, when in doubt, do whatever don draper would do.

Agreed, we have some people like that here too.... Oh well, let them look like the loudest one in the room (check out American Gangster if you want to understand this reference).

smittytron3k

Postby smittytron3k » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:44 pm

how do we feel about the following for work shirts (not interview):
(a) tasteful, muted colors (pastel green, lavender, soft pink, cream, pastel yellow)?
(b) tasteful patterns (stripes, windowpane) in white and blue?

is it mostly just an issue of office culture?

savagedm

Postby savagedm » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:54 pm

smittytron3k wrote:how do we feel about the following for work shirts (not interview):
(a) tasteful, muted colors (pastel green, lavender, soft pink, cream, pastel yellow)?
(b) tasteful patterns (stripes, windowpane) in white and blue?

is it mostly just an issue of office culture?

Depends on your daily duties and the time of year I guess.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”