170+ on LSAT vs 1st year at law school

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
lawschoolman1

170+ on LSAT vs 1st year at law school

Postby lawschoolman1 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:03 pm

I was wondering if anyone that scored at least a 170 on the LSAT can compare their time studying for that vs studying in law school. What I mean by that is did you study more hours per week in law school vs the LSAT or vice versa? Is there a easier time in grasping the concepts in one vs the other, etc?

dakatz

Re: 170+ on LSAT vs 1st year at law school

Postby dakatz » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:06 pm

lawschoolman1 wrote:I was wondering if anyone that scored at least a 170 on the LSAT can compare their time studying for that vs studying in law school. What I mean by that is did you study more hours per week in law school vs the LSAT or vice versa? Is there a easier time in grasping the concepts in one vs the other, etc?

They have almost nothing to do with one another and the LSAT is a very poor predictor of law school success. And I study much more at law school than I did while studying for LSAT. But that is because I read pretty slowly and meticulously. Its really apples and oranges when it comes to studying for one and the other.

zanda

Postby zanda » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:19 pm

LSAT was a joke- did 2-3 practice tests a week for a few months.
Law school is also a joke, but unfortunately the joke is on us, those who forfeit the best years of our lives to work a whole lot and spend a whole lot and come out unemployed.

npe

Postby npe » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:11 am

I probably spent an equal amount of time studying for the LSAT as I did studying during my 1L first semester. I had a shit UGPA, so I drilled individual sections for a few weeks and then did 2-3 full practice tests a day under timed conditions. Ended up with a 175, which is the only way I got into a decent school. 1L first semester, I probably studied for 5-6 hours/night, and then all day long in the week before finals.

I've had an internship every semester after that, and I haven't studied nearly as much during that time. 2L year is a wholly different beast (e.g., in Evidence I never read and went to class less than half the time, and I just studied all day in the week before the final). That said, my grades have never been as good as they were 1L first semester, so TTFWIW.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”