T30/1% Taking ?s

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
lcyiliy

T30/1% Taking ?s

Postby lcyiliy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:01 pm

bring it, brothers

LLB2JD

Re: T30/1% Taking ?s

Postby LLB2JD » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:02 pm

lcyiliy wrote:bring it, brothers

I'll start.

Do you have a job?

lcyiliy

Postby lcyiliy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:13 pm

LLB2JD wrote:

I'll start.

Do you have a job?

No.

rocon7383

Postby rocon7383 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:18 pm

lcyiliy wrote:
LLB2JD wrote:

I'll start.

Do you have a job?

No.

and you just graduated?!

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:19 pm

lcyiliy wrote:
LLB2JD wrote:

I'll start.

Do you have a job?

No.

are you fucking kidding

oh you might be a 1L. NM
Last edited by paulinaporizkova on Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:19 pm

What year are you in?

Your answer to this will guide my subsequent questions.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:20 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
lcyiliy wrote:
LLB2JD wrote:

I'll start.

Do you have a job?

No.

are you fucking kidding

That was my reaction too, hence my second question. I'm hoping OP is a 1L.

lcyiliy

Postby lcyiliy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:20 pm

1L

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:21 pm

lcyiliy wrote:1L

what school baby what school (give me a 3-5 range)

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:22 pm

Phew

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:27 pm

Oh ok. Then the fact that you have nothing lined up yet means nothing. I'm at a T25 and know a bunch of kids toward the very top of the class who haven't gotten anything yet. At the same time, I know a bunch of kids scattered throughout every ranking who have things lined up. Its insanely random and anything but a meritocracy. If OP keeps up whatever he is doing, he is either going to end up at HYS or have his choice of firms come OCI.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:33 pm

Were scholarships a factor in deciding where you attend now? Did you pass up higher ranked schools?

And why can't you name your school? Since you are a 1L, I don't see the need for that level of privacy. Besides, narrowing down the range would be more beneficial to users on here, or else this thread is almost useless.

lcyiliy

Postby lcyiliy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:44 pm

LLB2JD wrote:

Were scholarships a factor in deciding where you attend now? Did you pass up higher ranked schools?
Yes. Yes, but not much.

And why can't you name your school? Since you are a 1L, I don't see the need for that level of privacy. Besides, narrowing down the range would be more beneficial to users on here, or else this thread is almost useless.
Privacy is privacy, 1L, 3L or partner. If that makes the thread useless, so be it.

Postby 20160810 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:49 pm

Is your "T30" Davis? If so, is it true that the 1Ls are the weird, gunnery boners that I keep hearing you guys are? If so, are you one of them, or did you beat all of them? My opinion of you is going to depend on your answers to these questions.

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:46 pm

LLB2JD wrote:

I'm top 1% at Emory. Yes and yes to both your questions. I have no idea why op made this thread, but since it's here I'll answer any questions people have.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:47 pm

Omerta wrote:
LLB2JD wrote:

I'm top 1% at Emory. Yes and yes to both your questions. I have no idea why op made this thread, but since it's here I'll answer any questions people have.

Transfer?

lcyiliy

Postby lcyiliy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:38 pm

rad law wrote:
Omerta wrote:
LLB2JD wrote:

Transfer?

I likely won't, no.

blink

Postby blink » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:46 pm

[quote="lcyiliyI likely won't, no.[/quote]

pourquoi?

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:48 pm

This thread is spectacularly uninformative.

adonai

Postby adonai » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:55 pm

How did you do it? And don't say luck.

solotee

Postby solotee » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:22 am

How many hours a week did you average studying outside of class?

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:00 am

If I see one more post asking about "how many hours a week one has to study....."

Look guys, this is basically the dumbest question any 0L/1L can ask. You sound like a hs student worried about how many hours a day he will have to allot to "homework" while in college.

Btw- I wouldn't want advice from anyone that actually pulls out a stopwatch and times themselves on "how many hours" they study each day. Geesh.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:21 am

A'nold wrote:If I see one more post asking about "how many hours a week one has to study....."

Look guys, this is basically the dumbest question any 0L/1L can ask. You sound like a hs student worried about how many hours a day he will have to allot to "homework" while in college.

Btw- I wouldn't want advice from anyone that actually pulls out a stopwatch and times themselves on "how many hours" they study each day. Geesh.

+100

Just study. It is going to vary so much between students and who their professors are. Sometimes you just do the reading, things are made very clear in class, and there isn't much else you have to do. Sometimes the reading is clear, class is useless, and you read a little from supplements. Sometimes class time and the reading are horrible and you end up having to spend a lot more time reading from supplements.

Basically, you do what you need to do in order to gain an understanding of the material. Then you learn how to apply. There is no set number. You just kind of do it.

EDIT: I realize this is actually kind of a useless post now for the people currently in this thread, since it was prompted by solotree who killed it first semester anyway and doesn't need advice on how many hours to study, BUT hopefully it curbs other people from asking...

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:25 am

MrKappus wrote:This thread is spectacularly uninformative.

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:15 pm

rad law wrote:Transfer?

No plans. I really want to clerk and I'd rather be at the top here than a potentially bland H/C applicant. I wanted to stay in the Southeast anyways. Yeah, I'm shut out of Bounderant and Boies Schiller but who really cares. Besides, one fact that I think people don't consider enough is the extent of the network you've developed. I consider myself a pretty good networker. In my brief time in Atlanta I've already made some great connections that have opened up a lot of doors, even if I haven't sealed the deal on any of them yet.

A'nold wrote:If I see one more post asking about "how many hours a week one has to study....."

I'm not going to lie. This was the most gunner thing ever but I kept track of how much time I studied for the first two months of school like I was billing hours. It helped me to see my time allocation between classes and the competitive side of me liked trying to beat the previous week. My computer blew up last semester, so I don't have it anymore. If I recall correctly, it was between 35-72 hours a week outside of class. Most weeks were between 30-40.

Nothing helps you see your efficiency like actually counting 6 minute intervals. People always said treat school like your job, so I decided to actually try doing that.

adonai wrote:How did you do it? And don't say luck.

I firmly believe luck has very little to do with law school exams. The stuff I missed wasn't subjective, I missed something or didn't accurately characterize an issue. Do practice exams until you can't see straight. Answer them using your professor's vocabulary and thought processes. All the rest of the advice is subjective commentary.

edit: Upperclassmen have all emphasized to me not to rest on my laurels for one semester's work. All the slackers get in gear this term, the people who did well try harder, and a lot of people start "getting" how to take a law school exam. I'd also like to add that I'm a one book scholar (if that) at this point, so I'd defer to any upperclassmen and I hope that nobody construes anything I've written as arrogant or whatever.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”